San Diego/SoCal liveaboard groups

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

r3markabl3

Hello,

Was hoping to connect with fellow liveaboards in San Diego or socal. Did’nt see any groups on the forums or Facebook.

Me and the wife are liveaboards in Oceanside San Diego. Are newbies to the boatlife and would be nice to have group to pick brains or share tips with as we figure all of this out. :)

So if from SoCal or San Diego please let me know if willing to connect! Thanks for looking!

Sure it's nice to belong to a local group but it is much nicer to have a broad base like T.F. We have experts on A/C for hot weather, heaters for cool nights, anchors and anchoring advice from everyone, endless discussions on single vs twin. We have cold weather northern boaters and Australian and New Zealanders for the tropics. We have fishermen, we have liveaboards. We have military and retired folks. We have electronic experts, we have plumbers, we have fiberglass workers, some wooden boaters, even some sailboaters.

We have many "Loopers" we have East Coast, West Coast , PNWs, and Great Lakers. We have river rats and inland lakers. I actually can't think of anything we don't have. Except up to now, we didn't have you...Welcome Aboard.

pete

Sure it's nice to belong to a local group but it is much nicer to have a broad base like T.F. We have experts on A/C for hot weather, heaters for cool nights, anchors and anchoring advice from everyone, endless discussions on single vs twin. We have cold weather northern boaters and Australian and New Zealanders for the tropics. We have fishermen, we have liveaboards. We have military and retired folks. We have electronic experts, we have plumbers, we have fiberglass workers, some wooden boaters, even some sailboaters.

We have many "Loopers" we have East Coast, West Coast , PNWs, and Great Lakers. We have river rats and inland lakers. I actually can't think of anything we don't have. Except up to now, we didn't have you...Welcome Aboard.

pete

Haha nice! I like that! Thank you!

Welcome to TF. We are full time cruisers. Not much cruising right now. we are river locked on the Columbia River, normally SE Alaska this time of year.

San Diego Bound

If our survey goes well we will be buying a Kadey Krogen 42 to be based initially in San Diego while we figure out the live aboard and cruising lifestyle. Looking at moving aboard around the middle to end of July 2020. Any pointers on reasonable marina’s would be appreciated.

There’s a few of us here on TF from SD - though I’m not aware of any of us that are liveaboarders. But. I have been wrong before! :D

Welcome! :thumb:

The wife and I are moving aboard August 1 in the Long Beach area. Always down to connect with some new people and share experiences.

Justin

My wife and I are moving our trawler up to Shoreline marina LB. We want to live aboard as soon as possible. Maybe we will meet up! Our boat is "the Parent Trap".

San Diego

Hello, while my wife are no longer living aboard (after 5 years of part time live aboard on Harbor Island, San Diego) we recently moved to Bonsall, CA which is 13 miles from the Oceanside harbor. We visit the marina to walk our dog and watch the boats a few times a week and willing to share information from our past experiences. Your timing to select Oceanside couldn't be better with its recent transformation of downtown which is walking distance from the marina. I would not be surprised to see Oceanside become a major vacation spot for both boaters and vacationers in the next few years.

John T. N4050, N4061, N3522, H38E - previous owners

If our survey goes well we will be buying a Kadey Krogen 42 to be based initially in San Diego while we figure out the live aboard and cruising lifestyle. Looking at moving aboard around the middle to end of July 2020. Any pointers on reasonable marina’s would be appreciated.

If you spend the first year out of California, you will save about 10% of the purchase price in sales (actually "use") tax. Coral Marina in Ensenada is a good choice for that. Fito is the guy to talk to. You will probably save money on the slip, as well.

If you spend the first year out of California, you will save about 10% of the purchase price in sales (actually "use") tax. Coral Marina in Ensenada is a good choice for that. Fito is the guy to talk to. You will probably save money on the slip, as well.

The last time I looked at a boat in California (early 2020), arrangements could be made to do the transfer (signing of the paperwork) offshore to avoid taxes. Is this not the case anymore?

Nothing has changed in that regard, to my knowledge, but transferring title while the boat is not in California waters is only the first step for California residents. It is complicated, and there are a bunch of contradictory opinions floating around from self-proclaimed experts, so good professional (legal) advice is a necessity.

MY Traveler provides good advise, talk with an expert in this field. We used Chris Wenther in San Diego on all four boats which we had Coast Guard registered and took one to Mexico for tax purposes. Things change over time so be careful and do your homework.

john

Its been 5 years but I bought a boat in California as a non California resident and immediately removed it. My research and a call to the California Equalization Board confirmed that as a Washington resident I did not have to pay the California tax if I paid an equal amount to Washington. If I had been an Oregon resident I would have had to pay the California tax as Oregon does not have a sales tax. Now California would never had known about the transaction if it wasn't reported by the Yacht Broker. So, if you hear people talk about buying California cars and boats and not paying any tax it means two things, a broker was not involved and they haven't been caught yet.

Since I was not planning to keep the boat in California, I did not research those rules. I also understand the rules are different for residents of California.

The rules are also different for boats in LLC's were it is the LLC that is being sold and not the boat.

The best advice is talk to an expert or do the proper research before you buy a boat in California.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom