Reliable WiFi on the boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They’ve already deployed a few thousand satellites. They’re in beta now. (Wish I’d been selected as a beta tester but no such luck. This is definitely going to happen.

The LEO internet sounds exciting. I would go with something like that for home and carry it onto the boat.
I agree. It opens up a lot of possibilities in this brave new work-from-home world.

I’m not sure you could take it from the house to the boat... you’d need an antenna installed on both. Initially, I doubt there will be a self-install option and even if there was, I’m not sure they’d send out another antenna/modem kit without an extra $50/month. Time will tell how accommodating they’ll be.

I have a business class network on my boat, and operate my business from my boat about 1/3 of the time. This includes internet access and a VPN link back to our main office for my Cisco Call Manager business phone system.

What I have is a Cradlepoint AER 1600 router with two modems. Each modem has a SIM card from a different carrier for redundancy.

This system is rock solid reliable, and provides the professional grade service that I need to be able to make a living from the boat.

Our Verizon plans is far more expensive than what T-MOBILE has to offer, time to switch. Thanks folks for your insights!

Donny,
I for one would love to learn more. I’m shopping for a boat so I’m starting with a clean slate there. I’m planning to cruise south Florida and the Bahamas so the LEO system caught my attention! I have a Ubiquiti Amplifi system At home with 5 AP’s covering 6 acres fed by fiber optic. Dramatic improvement over HughesNet but the installation was way above my ability.
Thanks!

"Lastly, if there’s sufficient interest (let me know and) I’ll post a primer on basic home internet/networking technology/terminology." That would be most useful for a someone with limited knowledge(me).

I second Stevemitchells setup. I've copied his system that contains, an Mikrotik-Groove that gabs wifi if it's around. That is connected to a pepwave max transit router. This system seeks out wifi first, and then if it can't find that it will connect to a SIM card A(mint mobile), and when that plan is used up switches to SIM card AT&T. Very solid system.

The Brockerts

We have the EERO mesh network in our home and it works great - old Tudor home with steel mesh behind plaster, so a mesh network has been great. But on our 42' boat we have only used our 11" ipad Pro as a hot spot. If we can get one bar of cell signal we can watch Netflix movies all night - and wifi all over the boat. I recently added a Digital Yacht AIS Transponder that emits wifi to the ipad for signals - that wifi is also available all over the boat.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom