Old 10-17-2017, 12:17 PM   #21
Veteran Member

City: Margaritaville
Vessel Model: Wittholz 40 Passage
Winters IceBound

We have an electric furnace, had diesel and it worked well, but for the last few years we have had a wood stove. Loved it. Free firewood all around us, as opposed to paying 5 bucks a gallon for diesel (in Canada)....
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF9128.jpg   DSCF7114.jpg   DSCF6727.jpg  
Old 10-18-2017, 04:59 AM   #22
FF
Guru

One difference in winter living is weather to clear the slip of ice.

The bubbler system used to keep pilings in place (compressed air is pumped thru the dock FW piping) is really hard to live with as the noise constant bubbling like living in a fish tank gets old.

The ice eaters , underwater electric propellers to blow warm bottom water up works but the hole created has to be large or the boat crunches into the ice as the wind shifts.

Our technique was simply to ice in , hopefully while the boat was level.

In the spring thaw the boat would free , and the ice in the slip thin enough to bust up with a boat hook.

The extent of the tides (6-8 Ft in NYC) will be the decision maker for most folks.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 07:05 AM   #23
Veteran Member

City: Margaritaville
Vessel Model: Wittholz 40 Passage
We used agitators, no noise.
We also let it freeze in but she never came up on an even keel when the ice pushed her up, so we kept it clear if we knew we were staying onboard.
Even in Toronto we got 2 to 3 feet of ice, up here in Bobcaygeon several feet.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:22 AM   #24
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Move the boat to FL and complain about the 'cold'.

I worked one winter, in northern Alberta, -46F below ("it's a different kind of cold, a dry cold." yea right) .... they would walk a D9 across the ice to get to an island to log ..... Getting fresh water for the logging camps, chain saws and a tanker truck. The diesel for the heating stoves and cooking, kept the storage tank inside the bunk house and cook shack. The 'head', go up over the berm, drop trow, take care of business.....
Drove on 'ice roads', in my 4X4, all winter, drifting through curves and fighting loaded logging trucks for road space.
Sort of funny, once a week I would take my long underwear off for washing, drying and reinstalling them on my body. Mittens not gloves. You sweat, you freeze.

Ah yes, it is a gray day in FL, a bit chilly but, "it's a different kind of chilly.", but I am still wearing shorts and the A/C is running too.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:38 AM   #25

City: Erie PA
Vessel Name: Endless Endeavor
Vessel Model: Custom
I like oil filled radiant heaters on there own dedicated power line. One In the forward section of the boat and one aft. The whole boat was spray foamed when redid and I don’t need much power. When you have a lot of snow the ice does not get very thick around the hull my hull is steel and I didn’t care about ice.
Attached Thumbnails
Photo_030908_001[1].jpg  
funangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 10:59 AM   #26
Guru

I think the Titanic thought the same?

The only worry is, the boat becoming top heavy with ice and snow and the ice buckling the swim platform but, I am sure you are aware of such things.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:30 AM   #27

Real winter Liveaboard?

I have been known to go out and break ice. But you did bring up a good point make sure you know we’re thru hulls are because you don’t want them at the water line. They can freeze over and break. Mine are stainless steel for reduced worries.
Attached Thumbnails
P1010652.jpg  
Old 12-08-2017, 11:44 AM   #28
Guru

City: Palm Coast, FL
Vessel Name: Coquina
Vessel Model: Lagoon 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by funangler View Post
I have been known to go out and break ice. But you did bring up a good point make sure you know we’re thru hulls are because you don’t want them at the water line. They can freeze over and break. Mine are stainless steel for reduced worries.
You need to write a book

Does the boat rise with enough ice at waterline?
diver dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 11:46 AM   #29
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Good lord. Y’all are nuts boating in that stuff! We got 2” of snow here in SoTx last night and the entire town is shut down. [emoji23]
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 11:50 AM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
Good lord. Y’all are nuts boating in that stuff! We got 2” of snow here in SoTx last night and the entire town is shut down. [emoji23]
Man, there has been a lot of whining from down there. Wind, rain, and now snow.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:51 AM   #31
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
We have a properly vented propane fireplace in the main salon which keeps that and the galley 70-degrees, a Wallas 40Dt forced air diesel heater below decks which keeps the three staterooms at 65-68-degrees (and keeps the engine room warm, too), and we apply shrink plastic on the main salon windows which really helps keep the heat in and prevents condensation. We have a single AC ceramic heater for spot heating below decks if it dips into the mid-20s. However, in the event of a power outage, we don't skip a beat.

For just heating purposes we burn an average of 30 gallons of diesel per month, and use an average of 14 gallons of propane per month. So we're around $110/mo (electricity is included in our slip fee) to keep the boat warm and dry all winter, 24/7.
https://www.theboatgeeks.com
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 12:06 PM   #32
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Quote:
Originally Posted by diver dave View Post
Man, there has been a lot of whining from down there. Wind, rain, and now snow.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2018.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	71082

[emoji51]
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 12:08 PM   #33

Quote:
You need to write a book

Does the boat rise with enough ice at waterline?

I don’t know see a difference with snow load or ice around the boat. If I put 1000 pounds on the boat it changes around an inch at water line. Normally next to the boat the ice is not that save to walk on if you have snow on it I have had a foot get wet. I normally like snow on the boat it is free insulation. The most annoying problem is if the boat starts bump the ice when you sleep!
Old 12-08-2017, 12:18 PM   #34
Guru

Fun; you must be in a calm marina. The lakes, big and small, here heave ice all over, including on shore and anything not of massive concrete and steel can get trashed.
Old 12-08-2017, 12:27 PM   #35

Quote:
Fun; you must be in a calm marina. The lakes, big and small, here heave ice all over, including on shore and anything not of massive concrete and steel can get trashed.

I have 12 in pilings in front and behind me at my dock. I would not want to be exposed to a long fetch of ice I would not stay there at any price. The boat suffer the most in the fall when the gales put a 3 ft swell into the marina before ice up. The ice can get up to 18 inches on a cold winter.
Old 12-08-2017, 12:39 PM   #36

City: Maryville, TN
Vessel Name: malu lani
Vessel Model: Albin 27 FC
funangler, My son lived aboard just across from you for several years, in his MT 34. I've been aboard your vessel several times. My son was the station commander for the Army recruiting station there in Erie. He was always quite comfortable in the winter. I helped him set his boat up for cold weather, as I had lived aboard for 3 years in Fairhaven, MA on our 424 Pearson ketch back in '93 to '96. Ben
tego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 12:42 PM   #37

Real winter Liveaboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tego View Post
funangler, My son lived aboard just across from you for several years, in his MT 34. I've been aboard your vessel several times. My son was the station commander for the Army recruiting station there in Erie. He was always quite comfortable in the winter. I helped him set his boat up for cold weather, as I had lived aboard for 3 years in Fairhaven, MA on our 424 Pearson ketch back in '93 to '96. Ben

I remember him, my wife now demands the boat come out for the winter less worries and expense. She really hated me checking on the boat during the gales.
Old 12-08-2017, 12:48 PM   #38
Guru

My AT34 comes with 2 installed electric heaters. One in the fwd stateroom, one in the saloon. I have a portable ceramic heater and then the 2 reverse cycle AC/heat. Even if I turn on all the 12vt compartment fans to stir up the air, I really doubt all my stuff would keep me warm up there.
Old 12-08-2017, 12:55 PM   #39
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by funangler View Post
I remember him, my wife now demands the boat come out for the winter less worries and expense.
I can't think of many things more lonely than a boat yard in the winter.
I suspect some boats might never see water again.
Old 12-08-2017, 12:58 PM   #40
Guru

Oh goodie, now I am classified as a 'guru'. I am guessing that is because of the number of posts I made and not on the quality of my posts.