Postponed.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blue Heron

Guru
Well, I had every intention of living aboard. Geared all the plans to doing so.
After a year of boat ownership, and the scaling back of lifestyle, we still have 3 10x10 storage units.
We have decided to remain half land, half water. We sold our house after 8 months and taking a look at long term, we bought a condo on the water with a marina co-located. We are going to devote the time now to convenience of location to boat more and truly stress the boat and systems and be able to draw down our lives at the same time dealing with an elderly parent and a kid in middle school.
Not an end but a postponement.

Life is a journey.

In my experience these things have a way of working themselves out. We cruised for six years after selling our property and now own waterfront with the little DeFever tied up at our house.

Keep the faith. If you want it, it will happen.

No children here, just curious, how old are Middle schoolers?

Nice blog. Nice looking sole!

Mike

Last edited:
The ability to move aboard is usually directly proportional to your "ashore" requirements. With both a child and a parent in mind...I certainly see the difficulty.

I've moved aboard 3 times. Twice in my military career...but single with no kids or them with their mother...and the thirdr with hardly even a job.

While it can be done at anytime...best done when the stress is low...no sense in making yourself miserable when it should be enjoyable.

3 storage units? You'll pay a lot over the years for those, possibly enough to buy new stuff when you need it again. Do the math and you may be able to scale back to one or two, for just the real collectibles. It's usually not worth it to store washers, dryers, refrigerators, furniture, etc. For what you paid to store them, you might save money and buy new ones down the road.

Keith,

Yea 3 but we are consolidating down to one. Agree on storing washers and dryers and they are outta here.

Psneeld,
Yea just a postponement. In the meantime my boat is at my dock behind the condo and I can work on it as required and can quite easily slip away for an overnight or weekend/week.

Delayed not deterred.

I'll be stopping in Pensacola westbound in a few weeks probably staying at Bahia Mar marina where are you staying?

I raised a 12 year old boy on a 34' sailboat. We the new wife came around we move on to a Bluewater 40 pilothouse trawler. We kept the sailboat to go boating in and just lived on the trawler. It worked great for us. We had to kick the young son off the boat at 19

Of course, none of us can see this from your total perspective, but it sounds as if you are trying to be "responsible" while chasing down your dreams. Not bad.

My Admiral and I are planning on moving aboard on July 1st, and she's got two 40 ft. sea containers of stuff. Add to that, 140 or more pairs of shoes. She's got the linens of both of her Grandmothers (including the doilies). There's no way to get rid of the stuff in time, so in order to be "responsible", we're throwing all this into a huge garage we've got in Sarasota (Gulf Coast, FL), and maybe still have to rent storage. You are not alone, Brother. Meanwhile, we've got the only ditch-bag I've ever seen with three pairs of shoes.:banghead:

healhustler,

Tell your wife that if you get an N86 (pictured below), she can bring all of her shoes aboard.

Nordy 86.jpg

Steve, yea I'm at Bahia Mar now until the end of May. The. Moving to a slip behind the condo.

Heal, I hear you on the shoes! Yea, I'm not giving up on the dream. Think I can find a happy medium to both responsibilities and call of the Sea.

Either way my boat is my escape.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom