Old 04-07-2020, 02:26 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Poseidon
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 MK1
The Poseidon Adventures

Recently my husband and I became permanent cruisers. I decided to set up a website to share our experiences, photos and other information that may be of interest to you all. Today I’m thrilled to “launch” it. Please feel free to check it out and share. https://poseidonoa50.com
PamLeatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 07:05 PM   #2
Guru

City: Hampton Beach, NH
Vessel Name: Mischief Managed II
Vessel Model: 1992 Tollycraft 44 CPMY
Very cool!
Mischief Managed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 08:43 PM   #3
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
Thats a nice boat and a nice website.

Happy Travels..

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 05:00 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischief Managed View Post
Very cool!
Thank you.
Old 04-10-2020, 05:01 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Meisinger View Post
Thats a nice boat and a nice website.

Happy Travels..

pete
Thanks Pete.
Old 04-11-2020, 11:23 AM   #6
Guru

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
Looks like a great boat, may your life's boat never need major repairs...lol.

The only negative thing that struck me about your boat is that the shore power is 15 amps, by today's standards, almost anemic.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 04:29 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsn48 View Post
Looks like a great boat, may your life's boat never need major repairs...lol.

The only negative thing that struck me about your boat is that the shore power is 15 amps, by today's standards, almost anemic.

Hi Rick,
Thanks for your reply. At Australian marinas, a single 15 amp (at 240 volts) shore power pole is pretty much the standard. This means we have no issues getting a berth with our power requirements.

We specifically chose not to have air-conditioning as this reduces our power needs a lot. We also have a very intelligent inverter (Victron Multiplus) which adds power to the circuits when demand exceeds 15 amps. This happens occasionally, e.g. when running hot water into washing machine, using both ceramic hot plates and the microwave, but in general our power demand seems within the 15 amps.

Cheers, Pam
Old 04-11-2020, 05:51 PM   #8

City: Lafayette, CA
Vessel Name: Esprit
Vessel Model: 40' Tollycraft tricabin diesel
Poseidon Adventures....hmm, hope turning turtle isn't one of them.
Slowmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 06:55 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowmo View Post
Poseidon Adventures....hmm, hope turning turtle isn't one of them.
I hope so too!
Old 04-11-2020, 07:10 PM   #10
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Congrats on the new home.

Took a little peruse through your blog. Great start.

One thing you will find as you add more entries that you will have to start segmenting your posts by periods.

It's a self-isolation project I have on my plate for next week. My entries are currently chronological, but now there are so many that some of the "good stuff" takes a bit of scrolling to find. So now I need to set up a web page for each year and move the blog entries into their respective year!

Do you have unlimited data storage with your hosting company? If you want to post lots of photos (which everyone loves) that is important.

Good luck and enjoy!

Check out www.AtAnchor.com is you have time!
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 04:24 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post

One thing you will find as you add more entries that you will have to start segmenting your posts by periods.

It's a self-isolation project I have on my plate for next week. My entries are currently chronological, but now there are so many that some of the "good stuff" takes a bit of scrolling to find. So now I need to set up a web page for each year and move the blog entries into their respective year!

Do you have unlimited data storage with your hosting company? If you want to post lots of photos (which everyone loves) that is important.

Good luck and enjoy!

Thanks Paul, and you prompted me to add a search bar!
I’m not sure the data limits, but I’ve been compressing images. When I run out of space I’ll probably just buy some more since this site is also my hobby. I’ll have to think about how I want to separate the blog posts! Good luck with your project, and I'll definitely check out look at your site.
Cheers, Pam
Old 04-12-2020, 05:13 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Today I went for a short kayak and discovered Brooklyn's "boat boneyard". I was amazed and saddened to see so many neglected boats nearby. I imagine these boats once represented the dreams of an owner/family going out and exploring the beautiful waterways on our doorstep, the Hawkesbury River, Pittwater, and Broken Bay to name a few. I can’t help but wonder what the ‘back-story’ of some of these boats is. What happened to their owners? When were they abandoned? What makes someone simply walk away? I expect cost is a major factor…the cost to repair a boat, the cost to legally dispose of it. Most of the time I think we love to see photos of beautiful boats, which some of these once were, but I thought it might be quite interesting to take some photos of these old, neglected boats.
Attached Thumbnails
BBB_N_1.jpg   BBB_U_2.jpg   BBB_A_3-min.jpg   BBB_H_3-min.jpg   BBB_R_1-min.jpg  

Old 04-12-2020, 05:16 AM   #13
Guru

City: Solomons, MD
Vessel Name: Branwen
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
Welcome! Good luck with your travels and your hobby.

I suggest adding a signature to your posts that includes a link to your blog.

Greg.
GregBrannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 05:53 AM   #14
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Hi Pam (and Robert)

Congratulations on the website, I enjoyed taking a look at it. I see so much that is familiar, but lots of things that are different too.

Once you are able to start heading north we will have to catch up when you reach Moreton Bay for reciprocal boats tours and swap ideas and tricks etc. I've posted a few pics over the years but not as organised or as thorough as you!
Old 04-12-2020, 05:58 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregBrannon View Post
Welcome! Good luck with your travels and your hobby.

I suggest adding a signature to your posts that includes a link to your blog.

Greg.

Thanks for the suggestion Greg. I tried to, but it seems that signatures are turned off for this forum.
Old 04-12-2020, 06:00 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insequent View Post
Hi Pam (and Robert)

Congratulations on the website, I enjoyed taking a look at it. I see so much that is familiar, but lots of things that are different too.

Once you are able to start heading north we will have to catch up when you reach Moreton Bay for reciprocal boats tours and swap ideas and tricks etc. I've posted a few pics over the years but not as organised or as thorough as you!

Hi Brian,
Definitely will catch up when the travel restrictions are lifted. Robert has mentioned you’ve done a lot of work on your boat, so would love to see her.
Cheers, Pam.
Old 04-12-2020, 08:41 AM   #17
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
Regarding Pam's post of neglected boats.

I think I'll keep those pictures in mind whenever anyone asks about fiberglass vs wood boats.

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 12:54 PM   #18
Guru

City: US PNW
I like the look of that first boat, Pam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Meisinger View Post
Regarding Pam's post of neglected boats.

I think I'll keep those pictures in mind whenever anyone asks about fiberglass vs wood boats.
But the one fiberglass boat in the series looks the worst! I also would imagine that the wooden boats were more photogenic, so they may be over-represented. How many neglected old glass boats call out to be photographed, after all.

I think all materials have plusses and minuses, so don't like so see wood maligned casually. However, if one is going to neglect a boat, fiberglass is probably best.

(OTOH, I've repaired a lot of (poorly) buried or applied wood on fiberglass boats, most from the original builder)

Basically, to my mind, anything but a canoe, kayak, or aluminum rowboat is a headache in one way or another. If only boats were not so addictive
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 03:49 PM   #19
Veteran Member

The Poseidon Adventures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
I like the look of that first boat, Pam.

But the one fiberglass boat in the series looks the worst! I also would imagine that the wooden boats were more photogenic, so they may be over-represented. How many neglected old glass boats call out to be photographed, after all.

I think all materials have plusses and minuses, so don't like so see wood maligned casually. However, if one is going to neglect a boat, fiberglass is probably best.

(OTOH, I've repaired a lot of (poorly) buried or applied wood on fiberglass boats, most from the original builder)

Basically, to my mind, anything but a canoe, kayak, or aluminum rowboat is a headache in one way or another. If only boats were not so addictive

Hi Frosty,
Thanks for your reply. The pics on this forum were definitely selected for photographic appeal (and I’m not a good photographer, but the weather was amazing yesterday). And yes, that wooden double-ender is a beauty. I actually have a soft-spot for wooden boats as we had a Colin Archer designed 28’ wooden yacht with the hull made from spotted gum, prior to our current boat. Here are a few pics, also Showing her just after we purchased her and then looking beautiful. Also, I’ve included a lot more photos of old boats in my blog post, and this includes more variety, but definitely more wooden ones. Feel free to check it out. poseidonoa50.com/brooklyns-boat-boneyard/
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6206.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	101385Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6207.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	101386
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6205.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	101384
Old 04-12-2020, 04:12 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post

Good luck and enjoy!

Hi Paul, I love our boat, but must say I have a little bit of “boat envy”, especially as we don’t have bow thruster, stabilisers! Cheers, Pam