Old 08-01-2013, 07:31 AM   #1
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Personal Property Insurance

Sorry if this seems obvious...but after an hours of searching forums, search engines, insurance companies, boat policies...well ...no luck.

My liveaboard policy has $2500 coverage for personal property but the exclusion list is so in depth...it eliminates anything of value including the Booze!

What do you do for insuring laptops, TV's, jewelry, etc...etc?

Thanks....my next step is making phone call but it's often a struggle to explain how we live....
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:14 AM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
We have tenants/renters insurance. We store a few boxes and some tools at a friends house and pay a $1.00/year, all documented. Our agent knows that we cruise full time. We've never had a claim, so I can't say if it will stand up.

We know other cruiser's who have gotten renters insurance on storage lockers. After talking to some in the insurance business, it's split 50/50 on whether or not that's OK.
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:42 AM   #3
OFB
Guru

City: Richmond bc
Vessel Name: Invader no1
Vessel Model: Kishi Boat works
My underwritter increased my personal effect's on a seperate rider, that includes items that may be off the boat at times ( tools etc ).
Just like the tender I have is on a rider as the base coverage was not enough.
I currently have a pleasure craft policy with Live aboard granted. No personal liability. The underwritter has now offered us a Live aboard policy that makes scents after almost 2 decades ( personal liability included at a resonable cost ). But I would still need the rider for my additional coverage on personal extras. Clothing , cookwear, tools, cameras , laptop, fire pump etc etc. Them costs add up fast. Along with the rider for the tender.

Not sure if that helps. Canadian insurance seems very different compared to the US.
OFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:08 AM   #4
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
Your home insurance policy might cover your personal items on the boat. If not you can added a rider to add personal items, live a board, dinks/run about, liability, personal liability etc. Yacht insurance policy tend to include most of the items except personal liability that may have to be a separate policy. You will probable need an insurance broker that specializes in non stand boat/yacht policies. Check you home owners policy, and it might be cheaper to bundle all your insurance under one carrier.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:29 AM   #5
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Fill View Post
Your home insurance policy might cover your personal items on the boat...
You have to have a home to have home owners.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:41 AM   #6
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
We are full time liveaboards. Depending on your policy language, you should have coverage for your personal effects. Here is how my policy reads:

Personal Property is defined as clothing, personal effects, fishing gear and equipment, sports equipment, personal electronics and computer hardware that belong to you, Resident Relatives, or your guests, while these items are on board or are being loaded on to or unloaded from the Insured Vessel. Personal Property does not include money, jewelry, furs, traveler’s checks or any other valuable papers or documents. Personal Property does not include any items or equipment contained within the definition of Insured Vessel.

The above is for unscheduled personal property- that is, you don't have to report every purchase to the insuring company.

Items such as jewelry, fine arts, heirloom goods, etc., can be endorsed onto your policy as scheduled personal effects.

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:56 AM   #7
TF Site Team

Our policy has a $5K limit on personnel affects. Which isn't great but acceptable.

The difficulty is personnel liability coverage . If you don't own a house, condo or rent, and cruise full time, it can be expensive and difficult to get.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:14 PM   #8
Guru

Thanks...some of that I figured out...good to know that some of you have it...called my broker and he's looking into it...just wanted some ammo before I started negotiating.
Old 08-02-2013, 01:33 PM   #9
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
See IMIS Home Page ~ International Marine Insurance Services. These guys are cruisers and very familiar with live-aboards and cruisers. They have a Jackline policy which will cover your personal effects as well as provide liability insurance. I've used them for years.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:43 PM   #10
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
See IMIS Home Page ~ International Marine Insurance Services. These guys are cruisers and very familiar with live-aboards and cruisers. They have a Jackline policy which will cover your personal effects as well as provide liability insurance. I've used them for years.
Keith, the Jackline program is excellent for cruising couples who want to go afar (offshore) without the requirement for additional crew- that is the only unique point they offer. Otherwise,the liability and personal effects coverages they offer are no different from any other yacht insurance market.

I've referred quite a few folks to IMIS- Al Golden has a great crew.

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 05:35 AM   #11

City: Central Florida
Vessel Name: MS LYNN D
Vessel Model: Jefferson 46' Sundeck
Insurance pricing from IMIS

After asking for several quotes for insurance on our 1990 Jefferson I was not impressed with IMIS. They have the highest rate of any quote and that included having the boat out of Florida for more than 6 months or I would have to have to pay additional Florida fees. They already wanted $3800+ per year for modest coverage.
Obviously those that have promoted IMIS had a much better experience with them but I will not pay an additional 35% + more than a Jacksonville FL based insurer or 28% more than the previous highest quote.
JRSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:02 AM   #12
Guru

My broker finally did his thing...got me a liveaboard policy (actually didn't know I didn't already have one based on the coverage/policy wording)...

The rates went up from $1300 to $1600 for $20, 000 PP coverage (now just abut everything is covered and not listed except certain jewelry and some papers)....and a separate liability category (have to reread that one but now I'm covered as a liveaboard).