Normal (pre & post Covid) Bahamas Social Scene Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nmcafee

So,

We have a plan to live aboard a ~56 foot trawler in the Bahamas during the winter, up the east coast during storm season. The boat will be fairly self sufficient with watermaker, solar and generators. My vision has us anchoring out 90% of the time when in Bahamas, 50% of the time up the east coast.

Question is for the Bahamas. I forsee the ability to say "who wants to come over to our boat and play some cards and do some general chit chat" and have some people respond.

One of the things that led us to build a liveaboard plan was the collection of stories about the boating community. Is my vision accurate or a pipe dream?

Currently have an average of $900 a month in my budget for marina time and want to make sure it is realistic to anchor out that much and still keep social.

Thanks in advance for anyone offering their advice.

When we visited the Bahamas for three months many years ago, we anchored out 95% of the time but we made our social connections on shore for the most part. Hanging around the pool at Treasure Cay we met anchored out cruisers; at the pig roast at Nippers, at the weekly cruiser's gathering at the Jib Room at Marsh Harbor, at Tahiti Beach, etc. Some of these may be long gone by now I suspect. Also I bet that there are a fraction of the cruisers there now after Dorian.

David

We have spent the last three March-May seasons in the Bahamas and cruised maybe 20% of the area. Anchor 80-90% of the time. There are relatively few well protected anchorages so we generally move around depending on wind direction and strength. Cold fronts reach down during the winter and brisk winds clock around.

For a community feel you generally need a reasonably sized town nearby for shore activities, supplies, restaurants …. Cruisers tend to move around so it’s common to see the same boats in different areas. Elizabeth Harbor/Georgetown would qualify. Exumas between Highbourne and Blackpoint, centered around Staniel Cay and the Land/Sea Park is great cruising with many anchorages, lots of boats and not too far from Nassau. Maybe North Eleuthera around Spanish Wells and Harbour Island. The Berry’s are lovely and provide a compact cruising area. Have not been to the Abacos but it sounded very social pre-Dorian.

Draft is a consideration. You see lots of catamarans which are able to tuck into shallower anchorages. Tank capacity is also a factor. We can take on 900 gal of water and 1600 gal of diesel so long stretches at anchor is not a logistical issue.

Good luck with your plans.

Georgetown (aka chicken harbor) is a very social place. A ton of cruisers there to the point there’s a good home schooling network there. If you feel the need listen to the morning net or stroll volleyball beach. There’s pretty much always something fun to do.

We've met plenty of people in the anchorage. Some of the people we consider to be our closest friends, were met out on anchor. You have to be willing to strike up conversations with people. You have to be willing to forgive a lot of anchoring nonsense, because the guy you bark at while anchoring, will rarely com by for cocktails once settled.

At 56’ times $4 to $5 a foot your $900 marina budget won’t last long……

Food is a big expense. Take US prices and double them for the most part. Your comfort foods, if you can find them, even more. If you don’t have a watermaker, plan on buying it for $0.25 (sometimes more, sometimes less). Fuel is also expensive as is electricity if you go into a marine.

We've spent 5 seasons in the Bahamas and there’s no other place like it in the world that is so accessible to the US. :dance::dance:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom