Old 01-17-2018, 05:45 PM   #1

City: Panama City
Question Newbie here... Cali 34LRC vs. CHB 34? 30k liveaboard

Been looking on yachtworld and watching videos for years now and it is finally coming close to time when I can make my dreams a reality. My perception is that I can get a decently livable/cruisable boat for around 30k. What I am looking at now is either a Californian 34 LRC and the Taiwan made 34s like the CHB, Albin, Marine Trader ect. They seem to all be the same. I am eager to hear more experienced opinions on how far off I am with my perceptions and maybe some comparisons between these boats and others in this price and size range.
Thanks in advance for all the help!
deepsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 05:52 PM   #2

Also a little about myself. I am 23, just out of the army (I was a diver), I don`t mind roughing it or working on my own stuff. I really like the idea of the single Ford 120. But the twin diesels seem to have their advantages as well and I like that the Californian is US made. Maybe if someone doesn't mind maybe expanding on the single vs. twin a little? Also if it makes a difference I am primarily looking at boats from the 70's and 80's.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:30 PM   #3
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Model: Helmsman 4304
Thank you for your service. You came to the right place with those questions, so I will let others with experience with those particular boats answer them. Don’t get hung up on 1 vs 2 engines. There are a lot of threads on here that discuss it. It’s more about the boat fitting what you are after in regards to liveable space, cruising, etc.
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 09:37 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
I do not have a boat in that size and vintage so I cannot offer first hand knowledge of model comparisons.

That said I can offer some advice on boat hunting in that size and budget range.

While Yachtworld might be a decent resource you should also probably shop locally. By locally I mean going to municipal marinas in your area, and if possible walking the docks. Also bulletin boards at marinas, and actually talking to people and asking if they know of any boats in that size range for sale.

The reason I say that is because I see boats just like you are describing come up for sale locally. They are generally owned by an older guy that has had the boat for a long time. Sometimes they are owned unfortunately by his heirs.

Invariably the first effort at selling the boat will be to hang a for sale sign on it. These boats can sometimes represent a real value, and the good ones will often be sold in this manner.

Personally I think you are on track dollar wise. Just be forewarned that boats of that size and vintage are efforts of love by their owners. When talking about the boat with the owner you are not just buying a boat, you are buying his memories, and all the love and effort he put into the boat.

When talking to the owner of these kind of boats remember that he is also evaluating you as a potential owner. If you sell your dream to the owner, and he feels that you wil love and continue his dream, the actual dollars he wil accept for the boat might be much more negotiable than you would think.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 10:00 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
First I think you need to narrow down the type of boat you want. The Californian is more of a sedan style and the Marine Trader is an aft cabin style. They each have their advantages. The sedan style probably has less interior room and maybe more outside room and probably has a more open feeling. The MT will have more living area but it will be genarally darker and have more of an enclosed feeling. Neither style is better or worse, just different. If you were asking which boat is better of say a MT and a similar aft cabin trawler, then you could get a more diffinitive answer. As suggested walk the docks and get invited aboard boats and see what you like. Good luck with your search.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 09:45 AM   #6

Lots of awesome feedback!. I have looked here locally in nw florida and was surprised to see some of the nicer examples of these trawlers of what I've seen anywhere. I'll be snooping the marinas this weekend to take a look and see if anyone's out and about to talk to in this frigid weather we're having. Also leaning towards that aft cabin at the moment.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:04 AM   #7
Guru

City: Trenton
If you are planning on doing anything commercial with your boat, the Californian will be easier to get approved and would probably be more useful.

The CHBs in the tri-cabin configuration would make a warmer home on the water. Especially when there is more than one person aboard for any length of time.
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 10:29 AM   #8

Alormaria,
Do you mind expanding a little more on why the Californian would be easier for a commercial use? Is just because of deck space?
Old 01-18-2018, 10:58 AM   #9
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. d. Welcome aboard. I think Mr. A's reference to commercial use is US built boats are far easier to license than a foreign build. Something to do with the Jone's Act, I believe. As to which is "better"? Condition, condition, condition...
Old 01-19-2018, 08:05 PM   #10
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
We have a 32' sedan and it suits us fine. V berth is decent and we like the one step out to the back deck and open feeling.
However we don't take guests overnight anymore.

If you want to take guests, as some of our friends do , then a tricabin style boat will likely work better. Each person/couple will have a separate cabin and head. When the Vberth is not used for guests it then becomes supply/tool storage. However they do have a more closed in feeling generally.

Neither is better than the other as it all depends upon what YOU want. But you have to get out there and really look and then decide. Look at lots of them.,

One thing I will suggest is consider each boat for inside visibility. Some are almost impossible to operate from inside which is fine if the weather is generally good but if not then a decent inside steering station may be more important. Of course a bridge can be canvas enclosed but if not already present and in good condition the expense can be considerable. Make sure you understand both ways and each of their shortcomings.

We can only offer some ideas. You need to seriously think about what you want for living space and how you think you will want to use it.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 09:40 PM   #11
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsea View Post
Alormaria,
Do you mind expanding a little more on why the Californian would be easier for a commercial use? Is just because of deck space?
The most common commercial use for these boats is chartering (taking people out on trips). With 6 or less customers, country of origin won't make a difference. If you were planning to commercially fish (as opposed to carrying fishing charters) it might make a difference.

In case you haven't come across it, one of the common phrases here is, "With boats of this age, maintenance or lack there of will be a bigger factor than the boat itself". Older boats can have all sorts of deferred maintenance problems that morphed into something neither cheap or quick to fix. It's very easy to fall in love with a boat before you realize it has cancer. Very important to know what to look for or have someone who does.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 01:28 PM   #12
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Welcome aboard!

I've got an old 34 Californian....in fact, it's the oldest as hull #1. These boats lack some of the problems that the Taiwan Trawlers (TTs) have like leaking windows and teak decks, but have a few issues that also need to be addressed like all old boats....leaking fuel tanks and aging components. As mentioned, condition and prior maintenance matters most.

I live in Northern California with mild weather and great sturgeon fishing so I like the open feel of the 34 LRC. The cockpit with good water access and wide walkarounds is also a draw for other anglers and divers. What you gain in outside access you lose in inside space. Not a problem for me with 1-3 folks aboard but not big enough for 2 couples on an overnight, IMO. For me, an aft cabin wouldn't cut it. YMMV

There are two different layouts on the LRC with galley up vs down which allows 2 staterooms (galley up) or one stateroom (galley down).

The single- vs. twin engine debate has been argued here ad nauseum and while it's settled in each of our minds, only half of us agree with what the settled answer actually is. (In case you're wondering, twin-engines is better. )

If you're going to buy one of these boats for $30K, expect to spend another $20K over the following years to keep, maintain and improve the boat.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 01:46 PM   #13

That's very helpful. I didn't realize how much more deck space it has and that's very appealing. Do you have the twin Perkins?
Old 01-21-2018, 02:56 PM   #14
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsea View Post
Do you have the twin Perkins?
Yes, twin 4.236 Perkins. It also came with the Perkins 6.354, Cat 3208 and in later years Detroits.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 04:26 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Yes, twin 4.236 Perkins. It also came with the Perkins 6.354, Cat 3208 and in later years Detroits.
Is there decent room in there to work on those things?
Old 01-22-2018, 07:35 AM   #16

City: tallahassee
Vessel Model: 1979 Mainship 34
General advice.

Print up a few laminated flyers/contact info that basically says your interested in buying their boat.

Visit your local marina's just looking at the boats(if possible)

If you see a boat you like remember everything is for sale.

without boarding the boat or taping/doing any potential damage to the boat in mind leave the flyer that you're interested(leave phone number and email address).

Also leave it with the ship store and explain what you're doing. I've known them to mail/forward your info to the owner.

The owner will probably contact you even if they don't want to sell. It's flattering so they'll probably want to thank you or at least reach out.

Every owner knows at least 3 other boat owners and down the line so you might find someone who's "thinking of selling". In my experience it gives you a great opportunity to see boats in real condition vs prepped for sale. Also people are more realistic with price when a person contacts them saving them the effort.

This is an effective way of local shopping and old timers/private people don't like posting their stuff online.
Mrwesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 09:07 AM   #17

City: Ventura
Hi just to say me and wife just bought a 38 Californian 1976 got it for 33 grand. I just made sure it ran great and the Hull was good . We are now about 70 percent done with painting and new decks lots of clean up but I wouldn’t of wanted to do it any other way. We will be moving aboard around the new year. We looked at the 34 but it just seemed a little to small those few feet really make a difference the boats are out there just take your time you’ll know when it’s the boat and the right guy you want to buy from.
Leerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 02:50 PM   #18

City: Den Helder
Vessel Name: zwaardvis
Vessel Model: albin 33
funny that I discover this tread. (I work for the navy and am also a diver) I bought my albin33 4 years ago and started to renovate. my partner and I lived at home last winter and summer on board. Unfortunately, we separated recently and I have now made the choice to live full-time on the boat.
I realize well that the boat must first be ready to my standard to live on, otherwise it will become a fiasco.
everyone has a different standard, but the basis such as sleeping, cooking, heating and making the hull and upperstructure waterproof, etc. must be ready.

I can tell you from experience that it can be quite a challenge. see my tread: improving and maintaining swordfish.

i wish you the best of luck
swordfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 01:25 AM   #19
Veteran Member

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Angelena
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 32-309
I see you are up in the panhandle .. are you planning on using the boat thereabouts? And by the way congratulations on your decision and saving the money to buy the boat. 30K will buy you a decent one if you buy carefully. If you are single, and I assume you are active, maybe consideringdiving, fishing, really using your boat, then I’d suggest the sedan style to use the cockpit. ...the Californian, a Roughwater ( normally a west coast boat) . Also I’ve always been a single engine person, both for boats and planes. A single forces you to focus on points of failures, which is a really good mindset to have, and is much cheaper to maintain to boot. A 34 foot trawler doesn’t perform any better with twins, and the boat is light enough that you can maneuver it and learn to dock it easily with the single, and, in worst case, just push off if you must. Welcome to the club!
Willin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 05:27 PM   #20

City: Anchor Pointe, Ohio
Vessel Name: Sea Moose
Vessel Model: 1976 34' D/C Taiwanese Trawler
I love my tri cabin MT 34. Non boaters think it’s a 40 footer, as there is so much room inside, and the walk around decks are a huge plus.

From the lower station you need a backup camera to dock safely.

All the Taiwanese trawlers are prone to water intrusion into the decks and the house, easy to fix if you’re handy horribly expensive if you have to pay someone. The Californian has similar issues but not as often.

I’ve lived aboard a Yorktown 33, a GB 32 sedan, and the MT, the MT was by far the most comfortable.
SeaMoose is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
albin, californian, liveaboard, marine trader, newbie