New, unexpected chapter in my life...page one

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks all~ have it narrowed down to a single engine aft stateroom 36-38’ er in good condition. With a $150k cash all in, and working with a broker- gonna turn lemons into lemonade, then into Champagne ! Monk 36, Mainline 350 or Grand Banks likely on the Chesapeake for now until my girls are in college, then New England parts. Holding $30k back for maintaining & upgrades. YOLO!

In the spirit of Easter

attachment.php

Sofa King, if you havent bought something by September, you might consider signing up for Trawlerfest Baltimore. Though there will be new boats likely out of your price range, its a fun opportunity to actually step aboard a variety of different style boats. It can help you narrow down the priority list of features that are important to you; this really can't be done by looking at pictures in a magazine or on line.

I have to say that you (and I) will not be the last ones to get divorced and want to move onto a boat. I bought a crappy sailboat without a mast and lived on it for 3 months. Enjoyed cruising in it, was a cold winter! Found I really liked it and bought a 36' Litton DC for under 1k. Hull is great, engine is at 4500 hrs, obviously needs a lot of work though. I work about 50hrs a week so it is slow going on the fixing of things but I am learning a lot in general. Mostly that it will take 5*s the hrs you think to actually do anything. Luckily for me, most of my work is cosmetic with a few major things. Replacing the roof on the FB in October/November. Its not easy getting a divorce and completely changing your life around. Im in the Charleston area right now in a realy crappy Marina because they let me work on boat and most places wont allow liveaboards, you have to call yourself a full time cruiser and then actually leave for a while, lol. My plan for the future is to sell cars in Charleston for 5 months, cruise 1 month, sell cars in Florida for 5, cruise for another month. Living on a boat can be very rewarding and also very frustrating and expensive. I hope you find your groove and that what I have done helps you plan your own future.

Hang on to the cash and after the divorce is final, go on a cruise.

Meet a rich widow woman on the ship and if you're good, she'll buy you a yacht.

Seriously, you need to do what will make you happy, now. If buying a boat will help you get over your difficulties, it's worth the $50K.

You're only 51, you can earn back the $50K.

Last edited:
Howdy~getting divorced at 51, not my choice, anyway, I’m looking to live aboard near our home and travel coastally when I can. I love sailing, but from what I gather, a Trawler is just better for my needs. I can use any and all advice. Never owned a boat, but am on the water a lot, smaller vessels. Budget likely $50k cash purchase with $2k a month budgeted for upkeep, slip, etc.

If you're more or less stuck on the Potomac, then you might want to consider a houseboat like this one https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/boa/d/washington-1984-holiday-mansion/6957929924.html

This example needs work and has to move, but the price is right. Spend some of what's left of the $50K on fixing the engines. After things settle down in a few years you can upgrade to a boat better for longer cruising.

AFIAK, there is at least one marina near Fort Washington, MD that allows liveaboards.

Make sure the boat can't be included in the divorce settlement. Don't count on the divorce settlement or family court (if you have kids) to be fair. It won't be. Whatever boat you buy, have it in your name only and don't change it. Don't let some woman talk you into selling the boat and buying a house. Any house you own with a woman is not yours. You'll have no boat and no house. Seen it many times. Over 50% of 1st marriages end in divorce. 2nd marriages divorce rate is higher. Over 70% of divorces are instigated by women. Just the facts, look 'em up.

Lepke,

Good points.

Another point: There are friendly divorces and unfriendly ones. Some take years and others take weeks.

Of two very close friends, one went thru it in 3 months after 45 years, cost him less than two days work and split up an estate worth well into 7 figures. He wanted it, she didn't, but agreed to settle amicable and saved a ton.

The other had a net worth far less, cost him 2 years and $200K. They fought like crazy and the lawyers got their boats paid for.

Sofa sincerely hope the best for you on this one. Hope it's as easy as possible, but there is a strong argument to just wait til the dust settles, especially having never owned a boat before and just the logistics of a divorce.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your break-up :-(

I think that a ~$50K boat at ~ 40 feet (smallest liveaboard IMO) will cost more that $2K per month for slip, upkeep, hull cleaning, imsurance. maintenance, etc.

I woild budget ~ $3,000 per month.

One thought...get a >>SINGLE<< engine boat. Engine maintenence will cost you less than 1/2 as much as twins...

How do you figure that? If one compares two similar boats, the twin often has smaller engines and less requirement for thrusters. I'm not making an argument either way but hard to see engine maintenance cost more than double. My experience with a few twins and several singles is the opposite.

And, there are a lot of fine liveaboard boats with twins that could fill the bill. But now is the time to shop and get ideas.

Last edited:
As I’ve 5-7 years before my kids are independent, this boat will likely see 75% dock time anyway. Plus, the Potomac is a lousy sailing river around DC- anything more than a 4’ draft is stuck in the channel. There are a few live aboard marina options- great advice looking for a conveyance with sale!

If you're in Alexandria because you work in DC...

You might end up considering other liveaboard location options: Annapolis, Deale, etc. on the Chesapeake, or Aquia maybe... or even Baltimore inner harbor area and commute by train. I've read the DC marinas are pretty much all full up for new residents.

Anyway, if you do end up on the Chesapeake, draft considerations can open up a bit.

A pilothouse motorsailer (e.g., an older Nauticat, maybe) might be less "cave-like" than a standard sailboat, if it comes to costs.

-Chris

Back
Top Bottom