Old 04-01-2021, 01:25 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Pahrump
Talking New boat does not have dinghy.

Although the new boat has an electric davit, it did not come with a dinghy. As full-timer on Pacific Coast from La Paz to Skagway oh, any suggestions on a dinghy tender for a 46 foot trawler? We have plenty of set down room behind the fly bridge station. What size works for you guys? I'm only interested in a 4-stroke gasoline outboard motor. It's just the wife and I into small pups.
Crime Pays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 01:31 PM   #2
Guru

City: Reno, Nevada
Rigid floored inflatable or fiberglass? Are you comfortable sitting on thwart tubes or side tubes, or do you want seats (or at least a hard bench)? Tiller driven, or with a small console?

Will you be taking it to a beach or just to and from docks and the like? With dogs I think I might know the answer, but, beaching yes /no is important for dinghy selection.

Davit, or real crane (what is the load rating?)

Nothing's ever simple
Alaskaflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 01:52 PM   #3

City: lockhart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crime Pays View Post
Although the new boat has an electric davit, it did not come with a dinghy. As full-timer on Pacific Coast from La Paz to Skagway oh, any suggestions on a dinghy tender for a 46 foot trawler? We have plenty of set down room behind the fly bridge station. What size works for you guys? I'm only interested in a 4-stroke gasoline outboard motor. It's just the wife and I into small pups.
I'm only interested in NON-gasoline motors. No gasoline on our boat, please.
phillippeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 01:59 PM   #4
Guru

City: Gig Harbor, WA
Vessel Name: MoonShadow
Vessel Model: Wendon Skylounge 72'
Quote:
I have had two Rendovas (11' & now 14') They are RIBs. YOU cant buy them new anymore but if you are in the market for used they are a good option especially with dogs. and if the tub is in good shape worth re-tubing.
They have a small deck that protrudes over the tubes and provides solid and stable boarding for humans and animals. I reinforced the bow at the waterline with a sacrificial patch and have no qualms about nosing up to rock beaches to let the dogs on/off.

Ultimately you will be limited by the rated capacity of your davit. Check that first.

~A
AlanT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 02:29 PM   #5
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
10 ft with max hp as a minimum for going fast. Hard dinghy or chaps for inflatable with dogs claws. Watch your weight limits of your davit.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 03:10 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillippeterson View Post
If not gasoline what, diesel? I've never seen a diesel outboard?
Old 04-01-2021, 03:14 PM   #7
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
More information needed. As AlaskaFlyer states, pull-start with tiller-steer, or center-seating with steering wheel? What is the capacity of your davit and where is it located (stern, boat-deck, over a trunk cabin, etc.)?

How will you use the dinghy? How far? In Mexico, there are two schools of thought on dinghys. Latitude 38 have long advocated for the largest/fastest dinghy you can reasonably handle because it's your transportation. Makes sense if you're venturing some distance. There is a second school of thought for cruisers who just use a dink to go directly to shore - smaller OB that is lighter, less expensive to run, easier to secure, and less attractive to thieves. In Mag Bay, home to many sedentary cruisers, it's possible to trade a 3.3hp for a 9.9hp.

I lean KISS here, so a sit-on-tube and tiller OB is more my style. If price were no object, I'd go with an OC Tender - made in NZ and shipped in batches to the US to help reduce shipping costs. The 350 (12-feet) is a good size and will plane well with a 20hp.

https://octenders.co.nz/

Within the next year, I will be buying a new dinghy. Will likely go with an Achilles. I looked at Highfield, but I talked with a very knowledgeable person at Defender who carries several brands. In his opinion, Achilles has thicker and more durable hypalon. He was more enamored with fiberglass RIB than aluminum, and made a good argument that any knucklehead can fix a figerglass hull whereas Alum can turn into an Alka Selzer fizz-tablet if neglected. Fiberglass is quite a bit heavier though.

https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=6899982
https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=6062631#

As far as OBs, I'm a Yamaha guy. 15hp for a 310. 20hp for a 350.

Peter
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 03:41 PM   #8
Guru

City: Reno, Nevada
Quote:
If not gasoline what, diesel? I've never seen a diesel outboard?
They make them, I think I saw a Yanmar example recently in an advertisement, but they are larger - not for dinks unless you have a superyacht.

Electric outboards have come a long way from the trolling motors of my youth There was a recent discussion on them here somewhere. I would consider one myself for an inflatable or even a small tiller-driven RIB.
Alaskaflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 05:03 PM   #9
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
11.5ft Walker Bay with center console w/40hp, Honda. Setup for trolling with electric downriggers and pot puller. Raymairne MFD and a iCom VHF.Click image for larger version

Name:	20181017_081349.jpeg
Views:	41
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	116156Click image for larger version

Name:	20190714_171055.jpeg
Views:	41
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	116157
Alaskan Sea-Duction is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 05:35 PM   #10
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
What is the beam of your boat? That will determine the maximum overall length of your tender since most of us don’t want the tender or lower unit to hang off the side of our boats.

The bigger the tender and motor the better, if you want to take two couples on sightseeing trips or to distant beaches, snorkeling spots or fishing holes.

We have an 18’ beam and our tender is 15’ with a 60hp outboard and a 12 gallon internal fuel tank. There is a console with chart plotter and full instrumentation and seats for six.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 05:37 PM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillippeterson View Post
Then you should start a new thread about that and not stomp on someone else’s.
Old 04-01-2021, 05:59 PM   #12
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
What is the beam of your boat? That will determine the maximum overall length of your tender since most of us don’t want the tender or lower unit to hang off the side of our boats.

The bigger the tender and motor the better, if you want to take two couples on sightseeing trips or to distant beaches, snorkeling spots or fishing holes.

We have an 18’ beam and our tender is 15’ with a 60hp outboard and a 12 gallon internal fuel tank. There is a console with chart plotter and full instrumentation and seats for six.

WH has a bigger boat, so has more "set down room on the flybridge".
For yours, I would still go big. My 44 carries a 12', 40hp, but if I had more "set down room" I would carry something bigger. In yours, measure for a 14, crane for 1000#, then you can enjoy.
Old 04-01-2021, 06:56 PM   #13
Veteran Member

16' Beam

QUOTE=Woodland Hills;992612]What is the beam of your boat? That will determine the maximum overall length of your tender since most of us don’t want the tender or lower unit to hang off the side of our boats.

We have an 18’ beam and our tender is 15’ with a 60hp outboard and a 12 gallon internal fuel tank. There is a console with chart plotter and full instrumentation and seats for six.[/QUOTE]
Old 04-01-2021, 07:30 PM   #14
Guru

So go to the tender store with a tape measure. Also be sure to buy a set of chocks that are made for your tender.
What’s your budget? $15k? $20k?
Old 04-02-2021, 05:58 AM   #15
FF
Guru

IF you are new to cruising and have not decided how the lifestyle will fit you a simple get ashore boat that can be powered or ROWED is probably best to start with.

Most condom boats require a motor as few row except in very calm waters.

Simple and cheap is an aluminum "john boat" a few bucks on craigs list , strong enough not to be harmed in a dock dink pack and low on the list of toys to be stolen.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 07:50 AM   #16
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
IF you are new to cruising and have not decided how the lifestyle will fit you a simple get ashore boat that can be powered or ROWED is probably best to start with.

Most condom boats require a motor as few row except in very calm waters.

Simple and cheap is an aluminum "john boat" a few bucks on craigs list , strong enough not to be harmed in a dock dink pack and low on the list of toys to be stolen.

Agreed. Inflatables and RIBs are great if you need a ton of weight capacity in a small tender and/or want to go fast. But they're not so great for everything else.

Some people love the ability to cover a bunch of miles quickly in the tender, but not everyone needs that ability. It all depends on how and where you cruise, and also what the mothership is. If the mothership is big and harder to get in close to places, or harder to find occasional dockage for, dinghy needs scale up significantly. A slow mothership can add to that as well.

But for a boat like mine that's as fast as any tender it could reasonably carry (just at the expense of more fuel), not all that big, reasonable draft and very maneuverable for easy docking when that's desired, a tender that's optimized for shorter runs mostly to get people and dogs to/from shore with only smaller amounts of stuff is quite effective. And cheaper and lighter to carry as well.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 04:26 PM   #17

City: Jacksonville/Bahamas
Vessel Name: Rogue
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 49 MY
Ummm....OP said no gas. Kinda limits the options. A lot. Most answers moot.
Osprey69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 04:54 PM   #18
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
If you're in the northwest, check out portland pudgy.
https://portlandpudgy.com/
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 04:55 PM   #19
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey69 View Post
Ummm....OP said no gas. Kinda limits the options. A lot. Most answers moot.
The OP didn't say no-gas, some other poster did...

The OP said four stroke gasoline outboard...
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 06:04 AM   #20
Guru

City: Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by stubones99 View Post
If you're in the northwest, check out portland pudgy.
https://portlandpudgy.com/
Why? I like them too but they’re in Portland, Maine, about as far from the NW as you can get.
Porgy is offline   Reply With Quote