New boat does not have dinghy.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This thread reminds me a bit of the grade school class lesson where the teacher hands a note to the first kid in the first row and then that kid is supposed to whisper from memory the same thing to the kid behind her/him and so on until it gets to the last kid in the last row..... and that kid then stands up is supposed to say aloud what the first kid said... and it never was even close!!!!

My only observation is that when we were cruising, there were many times we wished for a bigger and/or faster dinghy. I can't really recall the time when we wished we had a smaller and slower one.

And for reference our last two Cruise as we took an 11 ft Boston whaler as our dinghy.

We had a 25 two-stroke on it the first time, and while it was fast, very fast, it was so heavy it was really a chore to get that thing on and off the boat.

The second cruise we took two smaller outboards a 3.5 two stroke and a 9.8 four stroke. We ended up using the 3.5 a lot when Iwe didn't have to go very far. The 9.8 was great for medium length trips, but would not plane the whaler with four people aboard like the 25 would.

We have upgraded for the next cruise to a 13.5 del quay Dory, (which is kind of a Boston whaler 13 knock off I guess), with the 9.8 on it. The funny thing is it actually planes better and easier with a 9.8 on it, than the 11 ft. whaler did with the same 9.8 on it.

Last edited:
My only observation is that when we were cruising, there were many times we wished for a bigger and/or faster dinghy. I can't really recall the time when we wished we had a smaller and slower one...

Yep. Having just caught two-foot-itis on our dinghy and bought a 10-6, yep. For us we have to keep it light enough to still toss over the bow rail for long runs when we don't want to tow it, and I don't want to mess with davits or a derrick (yet?), but watch, by the end of the season I'll wish we had gone with a 13. Our beam is only 14 though, so that's my limit. No, really.

If you want to use the dinghy for site seeing, having a center console adds to relaxation.

We have upgraded for the next cruise to a 13.5 del quay Dory, (which is kind of a Boston whaler 13 knock off I guess), with the 9.8 on it. The funny thing is it actually planes better and easier with a 9.8 on it, than the 11 ft. whaler did with the same 9.8 on it.

Is that a new boat? I remember 13' Del Quay boats from the 1970s, they were nicer boats than the Whalers.

Is that a new boat? I remember 13' Del Quay boats from the 1970s, they were nicer boats than the Whalers.

No, it's an 80 something. I don't think they still make them. We love ours!

I just bought this 3 meter online from Costco.com this week for $620. I have one just like it that's 4 yrs old on my 34 LRC swimstep with a 15 HP OB that does ~14 kts. I like it so much and it's such a great deal that I couldn't pass up buying a spare while they're still available. I figured I'll just store it at home until it's needed.

Back
Top Bottom