Moving aboard in April!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JohnEasley

Guru
Commercial Member
Vessel Name
Wanderlust
Vessel Make
1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'
We're very excited!! Things kind of fell into place. The marina has capacity for us in a liveaboard status, we have a renter for the house, my boss (one year, eight months until retirement) has no problem with a minor change to my schedule, the last of the kids are squared away, the dog likes it... everything is coming together. Need to hold a massive garage sale in late January or early February. Will start moving some things like clothes, the printer, etc, in March. It's all coming together in a very organic way.

YIPPEE! :dance:

We're very excited!! Things kind of fell into place. The marina has capacity for us in a liveaboard status, we have a renter for the house, my boss (one year, eight months until retirement) has no problem with a minor change to my schedule, the last of the kids are squared away, the dog likes it... everything is coming together. Need to hold a massive garage sale in late January or early February. Will start moving some things like clothes, the printer, etc, in March. It's all coming together in a very organic way.

YIPPEE! :dance:

Congrats!

The challenge will be reducing your material object footprint. Even when we move from one house to a retirement house it was a lot of work getting rid of stuff, all the best!

The challenge will be reducing your material object footprint. Even when we move from one house to a retirement house it was a lot of work getting rid of stuff, all the best!

LOL I agree. We are on our 4th downsizing. Hold hard with the Admiral that you get at least 1 drawer in the the boat for your junk. She gets all the rest by default!!:thumb:

Enjoy your adventure. We are also full time cruisers.

Congrats on your ability to make the move. It's important what ASD said about keeping your space but remember, if mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!

All I can say is, you will love it or you will hate it, there is no in between. Getting rid of material things will either liberate you or stress you out.

All I can say is, you will love it or you will hate it, there is no in between. Getting rid of material things will either liberate you or stress you out.

My stuff is unusual and part of my 'undeclared' estate.

Plus the bed etc has been in the family for over 75 years.

I envy you, I really do. Although I dream of moving on board the Admiral is very lukewarm about it. She would consider it if we kept the dirt home available but that is another issue.

I have two things I am very attached to and just can't see myself selling off or giving away. One is my collection of firearms. Some have a very heavy sentimental value to me. Many have not been carried in many years but I am still very attached to them. The other is my "shop", both woodworking and garage type. I carry a ton of tools on the boat but would certainly miss my table saw, radial arm saw and welding things.

I don't even carry a gun on board and have all the tools I will need for boat maintenance on board but just can't picture myself with these two things which have been a large part of being me for many years.

Any suggestions?

pete

I envy you, I really do. Although I dream of moving on board the Admiral is very lukewarm about it. She would consider it if we kept the dirt home available but that is another issue.

I have two things I am very attached to and just can't see myself selling off or giving away. One is my collection of firearms. Some have a very heavy sentimental value to me. Many have not been carried in many years but I am still very attached to them. The other is my "shop", both woodworking and garage type. I carry a ton of tools on the boat but would certainly miss my table saw, radial arm saw and welding things.

I don't even carry a gun on board and have all the tools I will need for boat maintenance on board but just can't picture myself with these two things which have been a large part of being me for many years.

Any suggestions?

pete

Quote 'I don't even carry a gun onboard' ��

Any suggestions?

pete

Yessir- it’s just stuff.

Choose experiences over stuff.

OR- get a bigger boat :D

Thanks. It was actually my wife's idea to accelerate the plans and move aboard early. We did the math and it's the best move.

Any suggestions?

pete

As Pau Hana Peter said, it's just stuff. However, if that stuff is important to you, then it's important. Where there is a will, there is a way. If you really want to move aboard, you could always move your things into a secured storage room or rent a small shop.

John

Giving up the shop was the hardest. What I have discovered, it’s cheaper to pay a shop to fabricate your designs than to pay for the space month after month.

Storage is the most difficult to manage. I have had a 8x10 for 20 years. Rent started at $100 a month, now up to $275 a month. It’s full of dive gear, ski gear, bikes, tools, spare clothes, spare boat parts, food items and until recently Xmas decorations.

I have considered selling the dirt home and most of the land, I have about 15 acres, very near town. I could build a garage package complete with plumbing roughed in and well insulated but not finished. Use it for storage for a few years while we live aboard and then when we age out of boating convert the garage package into a humble abode. If we are still interested in bikes, shops, guns,cars, etc. we can add another garage or pole building later.

pete

My comments regarding "stuff' come from my inlaws being addicted to their stuff....after retirement, they put their stuff in storage (much of it nearly new) and went traveling for 10 years in a 5th wheel.

Upon their return, they promptly sold 75% of the stuff they had paid to store for 10 years.

My comments regarding "stuff' come from my inlaws being addicted to their stuff....after retirement, they put their stuff in storage (much of it nearly new) and went traveling for 10 years in a 5th wheel.

Upon their return, they promptly sold 75% of the stuff they had paid to store for 10 years.

Many of us have heard similar stories. Sure makes one rethink putting stuff in storage.

Wifey B: Don't even have to look at your shop and guns, you sort of answered the full question there. Translation of lukewarm is "doesn't really want to do it." I'm not lukewarm about boating, I'm passionate, but if talk was about selling our home, I'd be "h... no, no way." :nonono:

Would consider it translates "really opposed but can be bribed." :rofl:

Point is you're a couple and you have reservations about giving up a few things but your wife is opposed to selling the home, opposed to moving on board full time. Time to start searching for solutions that meet both of your desires and work for you both. Really, it's person A likes this but B likes this but both A and B find this ok so it's what you go with. You give up on trying to convince each other of your way or their way and you figure out an "our way." :D

I have considered selling the dirt home and most of the land, I have about 15 acres, very near town. I could build a garage package complete with plumbing roughed in and well insulated but not finished. Use it for storage for a few years while we live aboard and then when we age out of boating convert the garage package into a humble abode. If we are still interested in bikes, shops, guns,cars, etc. we can add another garage or pole building later.

pete

Slab concert floors are COLD on the feet, even with carpet.

LOL Pete, stop blaming your wife for your own reservations. Remember, she sleeps with you and she could use a pillow for more than sleeping on it.

Last edited:
Congratulations Easleys! Welcome to the club! I'd teach you the handshake, but I'm still only a probationary member, and they haven't taught me yet.

Congratulations on moving to living aboard....would LOVE to do the same but it ain't gonna' happen. SO, I just go to the boat frequently. I also get to travel a lot in it and my wife meets me at destinations...that way we have a car once I get to the proper coast (mostly west coast of Florida from Naples to St. Pete). Love it and love my time on the boat traveling or just staying on it for a few days. Have fun.

Congratulations on your next chapter of life. My wife and I have lived aboard for over 5 years and we absolutely love it. When we moved aboard we had an estate sale and that rated second in one of the easiest moves I had ever made. I loved it, people came, made offers and when I agreed with the price I watched my house empty out. The number spot of the easiest move ever was when we changed home marinas. Start the motors, unplug, untie, cruise to your new home, tie up, plug in and pour a nice glass of wine ?

Downsizing is liberating, I truly love the minimalist lifestyle. I look forward to hearing more about your process and adventures.

Congratulations on your next chapter of life. My wife and I have lived aboard for over 5 years and we absolutely love it.
Downsizing is liberating, I truly love the minimalist lifestyle. I look forward to hearing more about your process and adventures.

Thanks. Actually, maybe we'll do that. Maybe we'll continue to post here as the adventure unfolds over the next few months.

John

We’ve just sold our 5-bedroom home and moved about our Ocean Alexander 50’ cruiser. Absolutely loving the new lifestyle and surprisingly, stuff we collected in 23 years at previous home isn’t causing any issues. We arranged some storage, gave away lots of things and found some creative ways to maximise space on out boat. Good luck.

We did the same (5-bedroom home) four years ago. Still loving the freedom and have never regretted the decision, not even once.
We’ve just sold our 5-bedroom home and moved about our Ocean Alexander 50’ cruiser. Absolutely loving the new lifestyle and surprisingly, stuff we collected in 23 years at previous home isn’t causing any issues. We arranged some storage, gave away lots of things and found some creative ways to maximise space on out boat. Good luck.

We did the same (5-bedroom home) four years ago. Still loving the freedom and have never regretted the decision, not even once.

We moved aboard in 2014. Still loving it. See things on the water that you might otherwise not see.

You aren't done downsizing yet!! Mark my words, you have at least 1 or 2 more downsizing to go.

Oh we now call ourselves "Full Time Cruisers" instead of livaboards. Livaboards have taken on a negative aspect in the last few years.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom