Old 09-16-2013, 07:12 AM   #1

City: marietta,ga
Monterey Clipper

can anyone tell me about this boat... we are looking for an affordable trawler that has good diseal miles.... thanks widgets

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1985/Monterey-Clipper-Trawler-2201285/Port-Orchard/WA/United-States
widgets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 03:11 PM   #2
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by widgets View Post
All I can tell you is that Eric Henning (Manyboats) will love it!
Old 09-16-2013, 07:16 PM   #3
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
The skipper of this Clipper was one of us. Haven't heard from him in a long time but he had a very nice Clipper. He sent me some pics.
Attached Thumbnails
tortuga 003.jpg  

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
The skipper of this Clipper was one of us. Haven't heard from him in a long time but he had a very nice Clipper. He sent me some pics.
Is there anything you can tell me about the boat... or the owner.. How long he had it ? we are new to looking at trawlers and like classic boats. Would this boat be good on fuel? I think it has been for sale for about a year... broker is asking about 34,000 and trailer 10,000. But I am sure they will take less. Thanks many boats... widgets
Old 09-16-2013, 08:03 PM   #5
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
I saw a Monterrey Clipper in Biloxi about 2006, the owner was a WWII Vet. he had brought her from California down to Costa Rica then back up to the Gulf of California. Then trucked her across Mexico to Brownsville Tx. cruised the Intracoastal up to New England then back down to Fl, across Okeechobee and up the gulf coast to Biloxi, all solo. He was in the marina in Bix. for a good while I don't know where he went, or is now.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:45 PM   #6
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: Slo-Poke
Vessel Model: Jorgensen custom 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse II View Post
All I can tell you is that Eric Henning (Manyboats) will love it!
I looked at that boat a lot on Yachtworld .I really liked it .It was just to far for me to go .
Pack Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:08 PM   #7
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Concerto
Vessel Model: 1980 Cheoy Lee
I dont know anything about that boat. Sorry That being said, it is very sharp. I would think it would be a good deal if they threw in the trailer as you could save some storage fees in the winter. Hopefully, someone here will chime in with more relevant information.
bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:18 PM   #8
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
60 HP Isuzu should be about as stingy with fuel as you will find. Those old Monterey clippers talk to me. Fiberglass hull saves you the wood boat headache. It's been on the market at least a year as it tempted me to take a look when we where shopping.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:21 PM   #9

So why didn't you look at it.... I hope to hear from others on this boat
Old 09-17-2013, 05:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
60 HP Isuzu should be about as stingy with fuel as you will find. Those old Monterey clippers talk to me. Fiberglass hull saves you the wood boat headache. It's been on the market at least a year as it tempted me to take a look when we where shopping.
So I am wondering about the gas per mile would be
Old 09-17-2013, 06:02 PM   #11
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
So why didn't you look at it.... I hope to hear from others on this boat
I found a boat locally that fit well with my revised mission for ownership. Fortunately with a little patience just about everything comes up for sale in my local area.

I was a first time boat buyer and must have refined my mission a dozen or more times. At one point I was looking at 45-49' boats. We currently enjoy our Owens planing hull boat but haven't yet ruled out a displacement hull for our future. That Monterey hull shape has plied the west coast waters as a commercial boat for over 100 years. A person would really have their work cut out for them to find a basic hull that's been on these waters longer than a Monterey Clipper.

Fuel burn would be approximately 1 gallon per hour is my best wild guess if operated around 6-7 knots.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:41 PM   #12
Guru

City: Beaverton, Ontario
Vessel Name: Looking Glass
Vessel Model: Carver 370 Voyager
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post

Fuel burn would be approximately 1 gallon per hour is my best wild guess if operated around 6-7 knots.
I think your likely right in the ball park Craig. My 117 HP, 33 ft. burns 2 gph at 7 knots but doesn't have the efficient lines of the Clipper. It's a nice looking boat and the price is reasonable. IMHO
Old 09-18-2013, 06:04 AM   #13
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: Slo-Poke
Vessel Model: Jorgensen custom 44
Quote:
can anyone tell me about this boat... we are looking for an affordable trawler that has good diseal miles.... thanks widgets

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1985/Monterey-Clipper-Trawler-2201285/Port-Orchard/WA/United-States
Look at the Pacific Marine 33 on Yachtworld for 38k This one looks really nice .
Pack Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:13 PM   #14
Guru

The original Monterey Clipper was 26' and there were fleets of them in the SF Bay area. Wonderful boats w low freeboard like most fishermen like. All the old boats were wood of course. I almost bought on at the Wooden Boat Center in Seattle some time ago. It was powered w a Buda Diesel.

This stretched version w tall and probably heavy house is not a well balanced boat. With a smaller house not as small as the fish boat Clippers it would make a fine boat if the decks were configured to keep the water out of the hull.

60hp is almost twice the power this boat needs. It would do fine w the engine in Willy run at the same load. You're not likely to find a more efficient 34' trawler. This hull looks remarkably like the 32' Bristol Bay boats of the 30s in Alaska.

Walt I kinda like it but I'd like much less house and more freeboard. It's not a very balanced boat. It's a big canoe really.

PacMule that 33 is another Clipper. I saw it this summer and it's got way too much house too but it's a really nice boat.

Old 09-18-2013, 01:29 PM   #15

Quote:
The original Monterey Clipper was 26' and there were fleets of them in the SF Bay area. Wonderful boats w low freeboard like most fishermen like. All the old boats were wood of course. I almost bought on at the Wooden Boat Center in Seattle some time ago. It was powered w a Buda Diesel.

This stretched version w tall and probably heavy house is not a well balanced boat. With a smaller house not as small as the fish boat Clippers it would make a fine boat if the decks were configured to keep the water out of the hull.

60hp is almost twice the power this boat needs. It would do fine w the engine in Willy run at the same load. You're not likely to find a more efficient 34' trawler. This hull looks remarkably like the 32' Bristol Bay boats of the 30s in Alaska.

Walt I kinda like it but I'd like much less house and more freeboard. It's not a very balanced boat. It's a big canoe really.

PacMule that 33 is another Clipper. I saw it this summer and it's got way too much house too but it's a really nice boat.
You need to educate me...I am new to the trawler world... we have a 44foot csy right now and looking at trawler when retire to do the icw.. thanks manyboats for your input
Old 09-18-2013, 02:24 PM   #16
FF
Guru

>we have a 44foot csy right now and looking at trawler when retire to do the icw.<.

Anything from a jet ski to a condom dink will run the AICW or the Loop.

What makes you comfortable in terms of interior volume will be easy coming from a sail boat.

The big question is AFTER the loop, will you be keeping the boat for future uses or dumping it .

If its a one shot deal a very modest boat ,about 28-30 ft like a Bayliner will do just fine , and should cost under $5K and some work.

The boat will be gas powered , but will probably only cost an extra GPH , so in a 6000mile cruise you might burn 3 GPH vs a diesel at 2 GPH at 6 mph.

This extra 1000Gal of fuel may add $4000 to the trip expense , but the tiny price to get the boat , and the ease/speed with which you can sell it should still even out.

IF repair is needed the advantage will be all to the gas boat , a $6000 replacement engine vs a $30,000 replacement could be a trip stopper.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:13 PM   #17
Guru

FF at his best.

FF has excellent advice in matters like this but is usually a bit over stated as in this case. What cannot be overlooked however is the huge difference of capital that will be needed w the boats mentioned. They may not be the boats on the table at decision time but the same difference may still apply ... To varying degrees. There are other unpopular boats that may be considered as well. Wood boats for example are more unpopular than the referenced Bayliner and if they are in good shape for just a trip they will probably be in good shape at the end of the trip and be sold w little or no loss depending on one's buying and selling skills.

Old 09-18-2013, 04:57 PM   #18

Quote:
FF at his best.

FF has excellent advice in matters like this but is usually a bit over stated as in this case. What cannot be overlooked however is the huge difference of capital that will be needed w the boats mentioned. They may not be the boats on the table at decision time but the same difference may still apply ... To varying degrees. There are other unpopular boats that may be considered as well. Wood boats for example are more unpopular than the referenced Bayliner and if they are in good shape for just a trip they will probably be in good shape at the end of the trip and be sold w little or no loss depending on one's buying and selling skills.
Yes, we would love to do the loop but at this time just doing some of the ICW would suite us just fine. We will be on a budget trip so anchoring out is what we will probably do.... at this time we are just looking and trying to learn about different trawlers. We probably can only go for a month or two at a time. We have a son with a disability that we will need to come back to visit.
Where would be the best place to learn on the difference in trawlers. Manyboats said that the Monterey clipper did not have good balance too top heavy.... that sort of stuff we need to learn on. If we can find a deal now, we would be willing to buy it even though it would be a year or so early.
Thanks for all your help.... widgets
Old 09-18-2013, 08:42 PM   #19
Guru

widgets,
I hope I didn't imply the boat was un-useable .. just a bit on the shy side of excellent. Our Willard rolls but that Clipper will roll more and at times feel like it's not coming back but most boats are a bit like that. Seek out some other opinions. As many as you can.
It's real cute though and she'll get many compliments wherever she goes.

Old 09-22-2013, 07:27 AM   #20

Quote:
widgets,
I hope I didn't imply the boat was un-useable .. just a bit on the shy side of excellent. Our Willard rolls but that Clipper will roll more and at times feel like it's not coming back but most boats are a bit like that. Seek out some other opinions. As many as you can.
It's real cute though and she'll get many compliments wherever she goes.
Thanks. I like the Willard's. where is the best site to learn on trawlers . Thanks many boats