Marina living - what are we missing in this budget list?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GMandGW

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Liver Spots
Vessel Make
1987 Nova Sundeck
Hello! The hubs and I are in the budgeting phase before we buy a trawler. We will pay cash for the boat and live aboard full-time. However, the first few years will not be on the hook, it will be in different marinas (southeastern US). It’s just how it has to be. I’m trying to budget comparing a utilities list for house fees vs boat fees. I understand there are great variables with each, but I wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing a whole category.

1. Slip fee
2. Additional marina liveaboard fee (if applicable)
3. Electric
4. Boat insurance
5. Generator
6. Internet (this is specific to us as we won’t be able to work our jobs with only marina wifi)
7. Fresh water? I’m ignorant about this.
8. Boat maintenance

Any major utilities we’re missing? This isn’t having to do with personal living budget (food, etc.). Thank you in advance for your insight!

Last edited:
Cable TV if offered/wanted/charged separately.

Sewage pump out service may or may not be included in slip rental or liveaboard surcharge, may be a per incidence fee, or a separate monthly fee for liveaboards.

Also, be clear about the marina's policy about your dinghy/tender when in the water, where it can be kept tied, if it can extend outside your assigned slip length etc.

I haven't seen it but my understanding is that you might have to pay a separate fee for any dockboxes or other storage options on the dock next to your slip. What I've personally experienced is that it is included, with specific restrictions on what you can have.

Finally, in cooler climates, if diesel-fired heat is used on the boat, then the extra diesel $ used for that purpose. In Florida, maybe not.

Last edited:
Black water pump-out costs. Many marinas offer free pump out if one moves the boat to a designated pump out location. However, you’ll have to hire a pump-out service should you decide not to move the boat to the station when needed.

Edit: Oops, Alaskaflyer beat me to it!

Last edited:
At least in the US, fresh water shouldn't incur any costs, so you can knock that one off the list. How electricity is charged varies. Some marinas meter, some just charge a flat rate for being plugged in.

Internet wise, figure on spending some money on hardware up front that allows both use of marina wifi when a good connection is available as well as cellular or other data when good wifi isn't available. Ongoing data costs will vary depending on how much non-wifi data you end up needing, etc.

1. Diver monthly or so ....if you don't use the boat a lot or you can do it yourself.

2. Temporary extra living costs for mandatory hurricane evacuations (not often but can happen).

3. Possibly parking if plan on keeping a car nearby.

9. Boat maintenance
10. Boat maintenance
11. Boat maintenance

:D:D

Regarding Internet.

We live in a rural area and the DSL service is awful. People across the US complain about the company. :banghead:

A few years ago we signed up with UbiFi, https://www.ubifi.net/, which is a cell based Internet provider. It is NOT cheap at $89 a month, but it has been fairly reliable and we have not hit any data caps. I have not looked at our usage in the last few months, but the last time I checked, we were using an average of at least 120 GB a month.

We did have to buy some hardware(MoFi) for around $300 that is a router and the connection to the cell network. It has been awhile, but I think it uses an ATT SIM card so you need access to an ATT tower. Check the UbiFi website for details.

One trip to go sailing, we knew the marina had poor Internet access, so we just to the MoFi to the boat. Plugged it in and we had Internet as if we were home. The MoFi does have the ability to use a separate antennae which might be needed on a boat.

I believe there are other service providers like UbiFi that are cheaper so it might be useful to check.

Right now we are waiting for StarLink. :D Gave them a $100 to get in line and hopefully in a few months we will have StarLink as a service. At some point StarLink will be supported on boats. Some people are already successfully using it on boats.

Later,
Dan

There should not be a charge for both live aboard and electric. Usually one or the other. Most marinas do not charge for the following:

Water
Electricity
Wifi, many have a computer in the lounge to check mail and weather
Black water pump out
Boaters lounge, sometimes laundry, usually coffee, a refrigerator and microwave
Fish cleaning station
Garbage removal and recycling
Often a courtesy car is provided
Showers and bathrooms, sometimes a pool

The more upscale the marina the more and better the service: Dock boys, Spider patrol, goose chasers, etc.

In the Great lakes area a transient slip will run you between $1.00 a foot to around $4.00 a foot

Monthly dockage between $500 and $1,000

pete

I have been using a Verizon jet pack for internet. It is a 4G connection and works quite well for work purposes. I have used it for video calls and its fine. Data plans are not too pricey but if you use it for streaming it will eat up your data quickly. If you are in an area with Verizon coverage its worth a look.

Many of your other expenses will vary greatly depending on the marina and its amenities.

My experiences of cruising the Eastern Seaboard of the US for the last 8 years (more but older dated info is just that)....

A few marinas provide most or all those services (usually only the very pricey ones).

Many provide some of those services, some provide just electric and water. Plus barely garbage and the restrooms are for the hardy both in cleanliness and heat/air.

Some are all inclusive but some that allow liveaboards often have metered electric and charge a separate liveaboard fee.

Courtesy cars,shuttles, golf carts are hit or miss.....but even when they have them getting one can be a challenge or has a limited range.

Pumpouts can be hit or miss too. Often they are not working, but at least if they are, they are often free to slipholders. The best deal is pumpots right at your dock either from plumbing to the dock or a pumpout boat. This is one service though if someone else does it, tips are the norm.

There should not be a charge for both live aboard and electric.

There sure as heck is in the SE USA, 100% of the time. It may be either flat rate per cord based on amp rating, or metered. It seems like more are going to metered as it can really run into some $$ in summer and winter.

There sure as heck is in the SE USA, 100% of the time. It may be either flat rate per cord based on amp rating, or metered. It seems like more are going to metered as it can really run into some $$ in summer and winter.

In pricing marinas in FL and further up the east coast, I’m finding this to be true.

Much depends on the boat you purchase and where you decide to stay. A few more come to mind. May or may not be relevant for your situation.

Initial outfitting
Boat system upgrades
If in the SE U.S. hurricane season insurance is significant
Some marinas require you to relocate your boat if hurricane force winds are forecast
Resolution of survey deficiencies. Typically required by insurance policy.
Tow service subscription
May want to break maintenance into routine (haul out, bottom paint, oil, filters, belts,...) and major maintenance (something expensive to repair or replace)
Tools
Propane
Numerous TF anchor threads will try to convince you to buy a new anchor
Cruising organization memberships (AGLCA, MTOA, SSCA....)
Navigation software subscriptions & chart updates
Weather service subscriptions
Boat & dinghy state registrations, US documentation
State & local boat taxes (look into this, can be confusing and expensive, several TF threads)
Mail forwarding service
Laundry

Good luck with boat and marina hunting!

One thing to keep in mind is that the quality of marinas varies widely. Quality of docks, amount and quality of staff and the assistance they render, quality of electrical and wi-fi and water supply, quality of on-shore facilities, quality of location (both for using the boat and access to civilization, quality of security. Also, the amount of current and the exposure to wakes and rough water. All of these added together can make a very big difference in price.

How long are you planning to stay in one place at a time? Monthly, seasonal and annual rates get progressively cheaper.

Land transportation. Either maintaining a car, parking, bus fares, Uber, bikes, replacing stolen bikes, etc.
And don't forget about all the the personal stuff that still applies like doctors, dentists, food, clothes, extra beer for guests, etc.

Last edited:
Don't under-estimate maintenance. $5,000 for standard maintenance per year is not unreasonable and then the unexpected/unscheduled costs of items breaking and/or wearing out on top of the $5k. I carry a rough budget of $10k per year for maintenance and this is me doing most of the work. Pretty easy to burn through all of that.

Why is generator on the list if you are going to be staying in a marina? If you plan on running it in your slip you will be the guy people point at and scowl.....

Ha! That's true.
Why is generator on the list if you are going to be staying in a marina? If you plan on running it in your slip you will be the guy people point at and scowl.....

If you're docked somewhere it freezes, plan on loosing dock water a few days or more a year. You can also have a problem with connected sewage. You might want to buy a cart to move groceries and supplies over the dock.

I've used most available internet. wifi, older satellite, cell phone carriers. Now I have Starlink, it's cheaper and better than any of the others. If you need a lot of gigs, and it's available in your area, I think it's the best way to go. If you don't stream tv or send and receive large files, then wireless will work. Most phone data plans are not unlimited, regardless of what they say.

Starlink for me is running 15-18 mbps down and 3-4 mbps up. I have their standard antenna on a top deck. Currently it doesn't work well cruising, but fine at a protected dock. Supposed to change.
I have a private dock. Electricity is about 7.5¢/kwh. My boat uses about 60kwh a month, but I have incinolet toilets. I only rarely use electricity for heating. Rarely use air conditioning.

In the last several years our municipal marina started charging fix rates for storage bin and electricity (and simultaneously raising berth fees.) Planned charges for vehicle parking have been postponed. Access to marina staff is now not available Friday through Sunday.

Good point. Removing from the list as we wouldn’t use the generator when actually in a marina.

Good point. Removing from the list as we wouldn’t use the generator when actually in a marina.

Not necessarily.

Marinas do lose power for periods of time for all sorts of reasons.

Unless you have great solar, having a genset is like a house having a genset. Not used all the time but really nice as a backup.

Pretty much anywhere in the southeast in the summer, running the genset for air conditioning at times can make life a lot more pleasant.

Thank you all so much. I’ve really appreciated and read all the advice. We missed quite a few things we never thought of. Updated utilities budget list:

1. Slip fee
2. Additional marina liveaboard fee (if applicable)
3. Electric
4. Boat insurance
5. Pump out (if not included in liveaboard fee)
6. Internet (this is specific to us as we won’t be able to work our jobs with only marina wifi)
7. Boat maintenance (I’ve always heard this is going to be a ****-ton, and responses to this thread solidly reflect that.)
8. Tow service
9. Land transportation
10. Taxes and registration

For the next 2 years, we plan to spend 3 to 6 months at a given marina. From the looks of it, this will not be much cheaper than house living (for us). However, life is too short to stay put.

I hardly ever have any sympathy for marina owners. Most of them seem to do alright. Most have nice boats and generally a place down south for the off season, But....

Walking the docks on a mild evening and seeing boats with two or more air conditioners running without need must stick in their craw..

pete

Could be set on humidity control.

Welcome to the forum! Great questions to be asking now, before you buy the boat!

If you plan on going anywhere, you need to add diesel engine fuel to the list. Not needed for heat (probably) and it is not a HUGE expense, but need to consider.

Might also want to consider hurricane haul-out if available where you are.

Have you decided on the type/age of boat you are going to be looking for?

Wow, this is my third post to this thread. I just wanted to congratulate all the T.F. members on their insight.

A couple things really jumped out on me that I had originally missed:

TowBoat U.S. VERY important, cheap and needed even if you don't cruise much.
AGLCA, Specific Boat owners groups, Great lakes Cruising Assoc (or wherever)
Satelllite radio (I love mine)
Favorite magazine subscription.

pete

There should not be a charge for both live aboard and electric. Usually one or the other. Most marinas do not charge for the following:

Water
Electricity
Wifi, many have a computer in the lounge to check mail and weather
Black water pump out
Boaters lounge, sometimes laundry, usually coffee, a refrigerator and microwave
Fish cleaning station
Garbage removal and recycling
Often a courtesy car is provided
Showers and bathrooms, sometimes a pool

The more upscale the marina the more and better the service: Dock boys, Spider patrol, goose chasers, etc.

In the Great lakes area a transient slip will run you between $1.00 a foot to around $4.00 a foot

Monthly dockage between $500 and $1,000

pete

I'm going to take this opportunity to let Pete know what the West Coast is like.

Here is how the fees break down.

Moorage rate
Lease hold tax
live aboard fee
electricity
pump out fee
parking fee
fee to read the electric meter

liability insurance required

Then from the state you get

excise tax
small boat disposal fee
clean water fee

Then from the Feds you get the $26 documentation fee

That still leaves

cell phones
internet
streaming subscriptions

I have yet to get to boat maintenance but that is well covered by others

Boat living vs. dirt home could vary a LOT. There's just too many variables.

What we need to do is nail the prices in St. Pete, where the OP lives and compare that with the dirt home.

Just a ball park: (but close

Living in a modest 1500 sq ft 3/2/2 home in St. Pete will cost:
Purchase price (or todays value) $300K
Taxes $6k or much less if homestead
Insurance $1200
Water/sewer/garbage $75 to $100

Electricity $120
Typical maintenance $100 mo. (not remodeling, etc)

If you rented this: $1800 to $2200 mo.

Marina (for a 45ft trawler)
Slip fees: $600 to $900
Elect/livaboard included above
Insurance guess $2000
Maintenance if sitting there $100 max
If you use it figure an hourly rate

=====
Other:
Food-- same
Entertainment-- perhaps less in the marina, as you can take you boat out really cheap for a dinner cruise, or anchor out.
Auto-- same (might have a parking fee in a marina)
Internet-- same or cheaper in the Marina, maybe

=====
So, overall, if one is gonna have a boat anyway, it's way cheaper to live on it than have a house and a boat. And one could rent their house out and pay for the boating costs pretty much.

=====
PS, I don't know where some of you are getting these awful high boat maintenance costs. That's a REALLY small overall cost, unless you just don't use the boat at all. This is assuming the boat is in good shape and not counting remodeling or improvements.

Back
Top Bottom