Old 01-07-2022, 11:10 AM   #1

City: North
Vessel Name: Broadbill
Vessel Model: Willard 36
1st winter storm

So far we got about 10 inches,had work off and all hunkered down nice and warm and cozy,totally peaceful and such a relaxing comfy day,all the hard work of rigging her up for New England winters has paid off big time,temp inside is 80 the hygrometer is at 28 percent,and have the crock pot going with some chili,and life is good
Attached Thumbnails
20220107_115753.jpg  
Lostsailor13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 11:56 AM   #2

City: Snug harbor
Awesome
Joefish2021 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 03:14 PM   #3

City: Toronto
Vessel Name: Bermuda Belle
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 36 Sedan
Brrrrrr.....
I'm getting chills just looking at that picture....
Max1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 04:00 PM   #4
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Pray tell, how do you keep it so warm inside? Reverse A/C??? Or perhaps a couple of electric heaters?
The AT comes with 2 installed resistance heaters but, I doubt if it will keep the boat 80f inside. I do know, when the 2 electric heater are turned on the 30amp leg is 'full'. I do have an electric stove and oven which will not 'fit' if the 2 heaters are on. maybe I can make coffee off the inverter. Never tried.
I will have to investigate running one heater and see if I have enough room for a couple stove coils.
Of course in the Ft Lauderdale area of FL we dont get that many cold days.
Old 01-07-2022, 06:01 PM   #5
Guru

City: Vermont
Nice. What marina did you end up at, and how do they handle water?
Old 01-07-2022, 06:13 PM   #6
Guru

If all else fails, start the generator and or the main engine and when the engine room heats up or while running the main engine, remove the engine room access panels and let the heat out.
Old 01-07-2022, 06:53 PM   #7

City: North
Vessel Name: Broadbill
Vessel Model: Willard 36
1st storm

To answer both questions with the same reply,first the f’oclse is insulated to about 20r value,and have Dickinson Antarctic with double turn mounted in f’oclse that is hooked up to thermostat bypass with small Teflon circulating pump,with that on medium it heats up f’oclse to 80 and the engine block is about 70ish,also have Chinese diesel heater mounted so it blows half the heat under steps leading to f’ocsle And other half into engine compartment to warm battery bank,the exhaust I ran for that is a 12 ft copper pipe that runs whole length of engine compartment and gets gives off good heat as well,also leave 1 of the engine compartment covers off for circulation purposes,and keeps engine compartment dry and warm,I fill my water tanks 200 gallons and have a 1500 w ceramic heater in compartment with tanks I turn on when it’s below freezing and never had a problem,that is one of my favorite photos the 36 sedan has such lovely lines,such a salty looking rig
Lostsailor13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 07:27 PM   #8
Guru

City: Boston Area
If anyone has "f'oclse" in Nautical Term Bingo, I think you just won!! Tough luck if you had "v-berth" or "forward stateroom" Better luck next time
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 07:28 PM   #9
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostsailor13 View Post
So far we got about 10 inches,had work off and all hunkered down nice and warm and cozy,totally peaceful and such a relaxing comfy day,all the hard work of rigging her up for New England winters has paid off big time,temp inside is 80 the hygrometer is at 28 percent,and have the crock pot going with some chili,and life is good
Sounds like you could use a bit more humidity in there before any wood/wood veneers begin to crack.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 07:25 AM   #10
Guru

City: West Coast
Gosh, be careful.
If it gets any worse, give us a day or two to make the highway and we’ll come give you a hand.
https://tinyurl.com/4f37zrae
soin2la is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 06:10 AM   #11
FF
Guru

Good responses so far but the Big question is when the electric is down for a week or 10 days , what is the live comfortable plan then?

It does happen in a big storm , the hospitals , police station businesses and housing gets priority , the marina? , seldom.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 06:21 AM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
Good responses so far but the Big question is when the electric is down for a week or 10 days , what is the live comfortable plan then?

It does happen in a big storm , the hospitals , police station businesses and housing gets priority , the marina? , seldom.
Start the generator and or main engine (for heat)

In our case, the marina and surrounding condos are on the same leg as the hospital. I'm sure they can divorce the condos and marina from the hospital but why bother. Good press, "more than 5000(?) people got their power back"

We can play the "if" game all day long. If a wandering ice berg puts a hole in the boat...., if too much snow on the boat tha the boat tips over....
Old 01-12-2022, 06:28 AM   #13
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:

Provided you've got diesel heat, full fuel tanks and a genset, surviving winter power outages should be easy enough when prepped like lost sailor.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 07:52 AM   #14
Guru

City: West Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF;
Good responses so far but the Big question is when the electric is down for a week or 10 days , what is the live comfortable plan then.

Now if that isn't a modern day problem, apparently unsolvable to some. When you live in an area known to produce such events, you prepare.

I’d also bet there are more than a few on here who have spent a portion of their lives without electricity, or running water.

Following up on my linked story, hydro crews had to be helicoptered in, to get some communities going again.
https://tinyurl.com/yef7phjn
soin2la is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 10:11 AM   #15
Guru

A friend lived aboard in Wickford, RI for many winters, never lost power for more than a couple of minutes.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 07:45 PM   #16
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Up here no in water wintering possible but even at dirt home you better be prepared in case of power failure. -27C at noon, with no power you don't last long.

L
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 08:33 PM   #17
Guru

City: Guelph
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: 50` US Navy Utility trawler conversion
I spent a couple of winters in the water in Toronto. Reasonably comfortable under a well ventilated shrink wrap cover, with temps down to about -20C at times.

Keeping bubblers going was a concern there in case of an extended power outage. But the municipal marina was recognized as a residential community and had a robust DRP and city support for maintaining services.
Jeff F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 11:28 AM   #18
Veteran Member

City: Semiahmoo
Vessel Name: Ardeidae
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:

What do you do when you're living on the hook and while cruising? Is this meant to be a serious question for trawler owners? Just curious.
jbloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 12:09 PM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbloyd View Post
What do you do when you're living on the hook and while cruising? Is this meant to be a serious question for trawler owners? Just curious.
Easy answers, motor further south, when engine is hot, open one or two engine room access points. Or start the generator and use sparingly. Plan on buying 5-10 gallons of fuel every time you go ashore.
Old 01-15-2022, 12:20 PM   #20
Veteran Member

City: Semiahmoo
Vessel Name: Ardeidae
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
Easy answers, motor further south, when engine is hot, open one or two engine room access points. Or start the generator and use sparingly. Plan on buying 5-10 gallons of fuel every time you go ashore.
The question was meant to be rhetorical. A cruiser or live-aboard would not even need to think about it. Living w/o having to rely on dock-provided services is normal, not an emergency or hardship. The question was, "Are you seriously asking us what we would do if the power goes out?"
jbloyd is offline   Reply With Quote