Looking for rookie stories...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've been curious to hear stories from the people that have sold all and decided to become liveaboards and cruisers.. Really would like to hear the tales of people that were mostly inexperienced when they made the leap and did it on a reasonable budget.
We are getting closer to the purchase of a vessel here in the Northeast and whenever I post an inquiry on this forum someone is always sure to bring up something I haven't previously thought of.

Thanks!

I'll bite.

At 49 my wife and I moved full time on board a newly commissioned Hylas 49' sailboat. Prior to that my sailing experience was around 10+ years of sailing small cruisers (33 34') purely in protected waters. My wife's was minimal as on a small boat I typically handled everything.

We spent 4 years aboard the Hylas, sailing from FL to Rhode Island, then the Caribbean then the Mediterranean as far East as Turkey before returning to the USEC.

Experiences: We had planned this for many years. My wife was keen for the adventure but had several mental obstacles (sailing at night, sailing out of sight of land). I didn't push her on either of these, I would get crew for offshore voyages and she would enjoy coasting in the Caribbean/Med and fly to meet the boat on longer voyages. Well that didn't happen. By not pushing her, she gained experience and confidence. Before long, sailing at night was not a problem, then out of sight of land slid down her list of concerns. That just left the fear of crossing the Atlantic. So I got two friends as crew and booked her a hotel in Antigua and then a flight to Portugal to meet us. As crew and I prepped the boat, she quietly made up her mind that she did not want to miss out on the adventure. We cancelled the hotel/flight and she was an integral part of that first ocean crossing. A few years later she did not hesitate in staying with the boat on the return crossing, which also included our youngest daughter. It is now in our rear view mirror, 11 years ago, but to this day she calls it her adventure of a lifetime.

More stories of that adventure here:
Alan & Joan's adventures sailing Moonstruck from America to the Mediterranean. Joan Teed's Art.

Downsizing is something we both feel we can do no problem, water conservation and less fresh food storage is our more difficult thought,........

These two 'problems' may be far less of a problem in the actuality of living aboard than in the planning of it. You haven't put your location (or desired cruising grounds) in your bio so apologies if this does not match your expected experiences.

Water: Is readily available almost anywhere that you moor (marinas/harbors) so even if you have no watermaker, it is only really a problem if you are crossing an ocean or anchor for an extended period without stopping in for fuel/groceries in a marina or harbor. Even if you like to anchor full time, many marinas will allow you to dock for a while to take on water if you are buying something from them (topping up fuel for example) or if you pay them an hourly rate.

Fresh Food: Again only a problem on extended voyages. You will find yourself going ashore quite often (isn't that the point of travel?) and your shopping will necessarily be very different from the US centric 'weekly shopping expedition' and more like the Mediterranean practice of shopping every few days for items to be consumed that day or the next. This is also easier on the back as all those bags will likely need to be carried some distance to the boat.

That (for us) is part of the adventure. Also many fresh foods do not need to be refrigerated, and are not refrigerated in other countries. Even lettuce will keep a week unrefrigerated, courgettes, eggplant, cabbage, tomatoes all two weeks or more; carrots, potatoes, other starches a month or more.

Move on to other topics to worry about - those discussed will take care of themselves :)
~A

What's life if it's not for living your dream and having some adventure? I could have easily lived my life as it's been for the last 15 years. Working 9 - 5, coming home having a beer, watching TV, taking a couple of weeks off work every year to maybe travel and done this year after year. Life would have been, well, boring, but safe.

^^^THIS^^^^

Pretty much our look on it also. We decided to keep the house for a few years and be weekenders and seasonal for the first while. We will continue working shoreside but my girlfriend gets summers off so that helps alot, only having schedule around one employer.

How we did it

The wife and I are avid boaters and every weekend we were out on the Gulf of Mexico; did this for years, all power boats. We had a child, lived in a house on the actual Gulf and had great times with the young man fishing and boating as he was growing up.

One day, when the boy was about 12 years old the wife says "Why don't we live on a boat and get out of here?" Excuse me?? Did I hear you correctly?

Well, after a year of shopping we found a 42' Leopard Cat sailboat. Nope, never sailed before except 3 or 4 times with a friend on his smaller monohull sailboat. Debated a long time, about 10 or 12 hours, yup, hours and decided to 'do it'!

Debated keeping the house for a day or two and decided we didn't want any grounding to keep us in port or make decisions that would keep us close to home.

Bought the sailboat, sold the house, dumped all worldly possessions that had no value except to us, stored a few keepsakes at dad's house and moved aboard. Immediately on moving aboard we hired a captain to live on the boat with us and teach us how to sail. We had a big head start in that we knew Rules of the Road, navigation, communication, safety, etc. after many many years on the water.

One week of ownership and had learned to sail, well, we had the basics; we continued learning for the next 3 years. Provisioned the boat and left SE Florida for the Bahamas.

No house, no mortgage, no land ties what so ever, we were free to roam and enjoy life living aboard. It is incredibly freeing to rid yourself of all those possessions you think are valuable, free yourself from those things that tie you to land and freeing to have no expenses other than the boat.

Over the three years we traveled through the complete Bahamas chain learning the boat more and more. Never thought of getting off and moving back on land; had nothing to go back to except relatives. Yes, during that first year we did cross back once, rented a car and did the visit thing. Then back to the boat and headed east.

Left the Bahamas, stopped in the Dominican Republic, east to Puerto Rico, on east then down the entire Caribbean Island chain. Spent as much time as we wanted in each island as we had no schedule. Spent a full hurricane season in Grenada then meandered back north. Came back to the states and headed north up the ICW to the Chesapeake.

The return and final leg were done as Covid was hitting and we found ourselves in the Chesapeake with everything land based shut down without the ability to explore.

My father passed that year at 93 years of age (we should all be so lucky to make it that far). The young man, our son, was now 15 and bemoaning the lack of permanent friends which turns out to be the biggest drawback we encountered. We moved into the just inherited house and sold the boat so the kid could go to a brick and mortar school and make friends.

Our search is now on for a power boat with plans to do the great loop, which is why I switched to this forum. Our son is a Junior at 16 years of age, has a bunch of friends, is active in JROTC and loving life. We did tell him we are going to his graduation, in a year and a half, in shorts and flip flops as we are heading to the marina as soon as it is over. He can get on the boat or get an apartment, whatever he wants to do but we are back on the boat and leaving for new adventures!

I did get a little long winded here but wanted to respond to the OP original question in detail. For us the bottom line was eliminating all ties to land and making our boat our home. There was no place we would have rather been!

Enjoy life while you can as you never know what life will throw at you..

The wife and I are avid boaters and every weekend we were out on the Gulf of Mexico; did this for years, all power boats. We had a child, lived in a house on the actual Gulf and had great times with the young man fishing and boating as he was growing up.

One day, when the boy was about 12 years old the wife says "Why don't we live on a boat and get out of here?" Excuse me?? Did I hear you correctly?

Well, after a year of shopping we found a 42' Leopard Cat sailboat. Nope, never sailed before except 3 or 4 times with a friend on his smaller monohull sailboat. Debated a long time, about 10 or 12 hours, yup, hours and decided to 'do it'!

Debated keeping the house for a day or two and decided we didn't want any grounding to keep us in port or make decisions that would keep us close to home.

Bought the sailboat, sold the house, dumped all worldly possessions that had no value except to us, stored a few keepsakes at dad's house and moved aboard. Immediately on moving aboard we hired a captain to live on the boat with us and teach us how to sail. We had a big head start in that we knew Rules of the Road, navigation, communication, safety, etc. after many many years on the water.

One week of ownership and had learned to sail, well, we had the basics; we continued learning for the next 3 years. Provisioned the boat and left SE Florida for the Bahamas.

No house, no mortgage, no land ties what so ever, we were free to roam and enjoy life living aboard. It is incredibly freeing to rid yourself of all those possessions you think are valuable, free yourself from those things that tie you to land and freeing to have no expenses other than the boat.

Over the three years we traveled through the complete Bahamas chain learning the boat more and more. Never thought of getting off and moving back on land; had nothing to go back to except relatives. Yes, during that first year we did cross back once, rented a car and did the visit thing. Then back to the boat and headed east.

Left the Bahamas, stopped in the Dominican Republic, east to Puerto Rico, on east then down the entire Caribbean Island chain. Spent as much time as we wanted in each island as we had no schedule. Spent a full hurricane season in Grenada then meandered back north. Came back to the states and headed north up the ICW to the Chesapeake.

The return and final leg were done as Covid was hitting and we found ourselves in the Chesapeake with everything land based shut down without the ability to explore.

My father passed that year at 93 years of age (we should all be so lucky to make it that far). The young man, our son, was now 15 and bemoaning the lack of permanent friends which turns out to be the biggest drawback we encountered. We moved into the just inherited house and sold the boat so the kid could go to a brick and mortar school and make friends.

Our search is now on for a power boat with plans to do the great loop, which is why I switched to this forum. Our son is a Junior at 16 years of age, has a bunch of friends, is active in JROTC and loving life. We did tell him we are going to his graduation, in a year and a half, in shorts and flip flops as we are heading to the marina as soon as it is over. He can get on the boat or get an apartment, whatever he wants to do but we are back on the boat and leaving for new adventures!

I did get a little long winded here but wanted to respond to the OP original question in detail. For us the bottom line was eliminating all ties to land and making our boat our home. There was no place we would have rather been!

Enjoy life while you can as you never know what life will throw at you..

You point out some of the best and worst and how it worked for your family. You talk about your son is important. It's important all family members are on board. It's also important to recognize when any need change. Most kids need some "permanency" in their social settings earlier than 15. Most parents are not capable of educating in all subjects on their own but a lot of great resources now.. There's such a balance. Kids gain so much by travel and meeting others, especially meeting those different from them as your son did. However, most also gain from the social interaction of schools. In some ways, schools are also their first real introduction and preparation to the type situations they'll encounter in life, in their education and careers.

I often think of the question, "What is a normal childhood?" The reason I do is that neither my wife nor I had one we considered normal, but probably both are more common than most believe. To me, it's not about where or what or when, but about loving parents who care about their needs, including their emotional needs. Thinking your son was lucky. I assume that because you listened at 12 and you listened at 15, you also did before and between and you will continue to do so.

So part of the decision of where and how to live and boat or not is to truly listen to all family members and not just hear the answers you're looking for. Just remember, "One convinced against their will, remains unconvinced still."

Yep. Our boys (now 11 and 13) love the boat and the marina, I mean really love it no matter the weather or anything else, nowhere else they'd rather be - but I notice the first thing they do when we drive into the parking lot is look for the boats with kids. "Is Connor here? Is McKenzie here? Are the Smiths here?" I look for whether our boat is still afloat and in good shape, they immediately look for friends.

Family. Raising children in a boating environment. Friends.... this is turning out to be a very nice thread. Having a shared family activity with your kids is a lifetime of memories. In my case we didn't live fulltime on a boat, but I raised my children overseas for a decade in the Middle East. I had a panga built which gave me a way to release stresses of life. It also allowed for privacy and a means of "private recreation" as we called it, allow growing girls to enjoy beaches and water with their friends on offshore islands, while getting far away from cultural constraints, and all the fk*n perverts and jerks and the chicken bones and trash bags in the public beaches. That boat named "Mako" was a member of the family in essence
:smitten:

You know the older the boys get and the more grown up they become, day by day, the more I enjoy them. Matthew can toss a mooring line really well and "gets" the concept of grabbing a line at the bow and then walking midship to snug us up evenly at the gas dock. Some people oddly don't get that. Or when they finally have the skill to bring us a great cup of coffee on the flybridge on a cold morning.

And they get funnier, more adult humor. They have an intense rivalry, way beyond typical. Nicholas hurt his knee, so Matthew got him an ice pack without being asked. Nick said, "See, you do love me!" Matt replied, "No I don't, I just don't want to have to do your chores if you're in a wheelchair."

Every minute of boat time together is precious. That boat is a money hemorrhage but it's worth every penny.

First Mate and I own two boats, an Island Packet SP Cruiser based on the South Coast of the UK and a Hartley 32 steel yacht based in Wellington, NZ.

We have just returned from 4.5 months cruising and living aboard the Island Packet, almost all summer. We dont use Marina's - cant afford to - but use cheaper Harbourmaster facilities such as moorings and mid harbour pontoons. We prefer, where possible, to lie to our own ground tackle. Weather was so so this year, lots of Easterlies, not good in the English Channel, and three major storms. Hiding from these we found many new anchorages. Busy prepping and improving the boat for our next seasons trip which is likely to be the East and North Coasts of Ireland.

Our Kiwi boat was a liveaboard when we bought her. We lived aboard in Wellington's Seaview Marina until we got a cheaper home in Evans Bay. Now we use her for day sailing and weekending when in NZ.

We have Grandchildren in NZ and spent up to 5 months there pre Covid.

First Mate and I both love being aboard and having a sea view.

We also enjoy our small house in Oxfordshire. As we are both in our mid 70's this will be where we will live once boats are too much for us.

FWe have just returned from 4.5 months cruising and living aboard the Island Packet, almost all summer. We dont use Marina's - cant afford to - but use cheaper Harbourmaster facilities such as moorings and mid harbour pontoons. We prefer, where possible, to lie to our own ground tackle.

Being a 2-boat owner will do that to you :)

The IP sure looks like a nice little boat. Thanks for the post - good to hear stories of being out and about.

Peter

Being a 2-boat owner will do that to you :)

The IP sure looks like a nice little boat. Thanks for the post - good to hear stories of being out and about.

Peter

South Coast UK Marina's are REALLY expensive - Lymington's Berthon would charge almost 100 dollars US per night for a boat our size. Average is 75 dollars. Electric hook up extra in many cases.

By comparison, on the hook up the Tamar it is about ten bucks a night, water available nearby and the Harbour Patrol take your gash and recycling, which is cool. You just pay Harbour Dues. By paying annually substantial savings can be made. Over 30 days on the hook in the Tamar, buy an annual Harbour Dues licence!

By comparison, our Kiwi boat was really cheap - $8,000 NZ Dollars, about 4K Stirling. Annual berth in a full service Marina is 1.2K Stirling. That includes a storage facility in a secure shed for spare gear.

We are comfortable with boating expenses on our modest pensions. It is clear however that when I am unable to carry out the majority of maintenance and repairs myself she will have to go.

But not for a while, I hope! :thumb:

Last edited:
Peter (Weebles) nailed it. It absolutely sucks in so many ways to live aboard and/or cruise. And if you like it, you won't live any other way and believe it is the greatest possible existence.

I lived aboard worked/cruised five years, have been a landlubber with a boat the last 25 years, and am moving back aboard and cruising for a year once I retire early next year, if I like it as much as I used to then I'm selling everything... At 66.

Humans are very adaptable, my first liveaboard had no running water, just a hand pump, and a kerosene stove that had to be primed with alcohol. After a month or two that just seemed normal...

Peter (Weebles) nailed it. It absolutely sucks in so many ways to live aboard and/or cruise. And if you like it, you won't live any other way and believe it is the greatest possible existence.

I lived aboard worked/cruised five years, have been a landlubber with a boat the last 25 years, and am moving back aboard and cruising for a year once I retire early next year, if I like it as much as I used to then I'm selling everything... At 66.

Humans are very adaptable, my first liveaboard had no running water, just a hand pump, and a kerosene stove that had to be primed with alcohol. After a month or two that just seemed normal...

Wifey B: I can adapt, just choose not to. :rofl:

Sea Moose, I get it, sometimes simplifying your lifestyle is the most freeing and that can bring immense happiness. Do I wish to go back to living in a dry cabin in Alaska? Not really, but I would. It was great times.

We recently retired. 5 years ago the decision was made to not live in the town we worked in. So the home of 30 years was going to be sold anyway. That was an apron string cut. All of our children live/work out of town the closest lies 100 miles away and we see them 3-4 times a year the other two 1500 and 2500 miles away so that was another apron sting cut. We can rent a location for holidays and make the traditional meal wherever we are and arrange for everyone together at that location. Yes it’s a work around but so far it is working. We moved aboard the day after the retirement party that was 6 months ago. We have gone to Chapman’s school to learn lots of stuff while we will be getting our 6 pack license we will be taking the 100 ton test and have 5-6 endorsements as well as Radio Operators license which will come in handy in foreign ports. There have been new discoveries about ourselves and our boat almost everyday BUT that keeps us flexible and “I can’t” or “I could never” is not part of our thinking. I might think how the heck am I going to do this but not the idea that I can’t. I believe that has been the most important piece to our thus far success. The mindset. I can do this somehow. When we get older we will probably explore the interior of countries with an RV but while we are in the go-go stage of retirement being on the boat is working.

We recently retired. 5 years ago the decision was made to not live in the town we worked in. So the home of 30 years was going to be sold anyway. That was an apron string cut. All of our children live/work out of town the closest lies 100 miles away and we see them 3-4 times a year the other two 1500 and 2500 miles away so that was another apron sting cut. We can rent a location for holidays and make the traditional meal wherever we are and arrange for everyone together at that location. Yes it’s a work around but so far it is working. We moved aboard the day after the retirement party that was 6 months ago. We have gone to Chapman’s school to learn lots of stuff while we will be getting our 6 pack license we will be taking the 100 ton test and have 5-6 endorsements as well as Radio Operators license which will come in handy in foreign ports. There have been new discoveries about ourselves and our boat almost everyday BUT that keeps us flexible and “I can’t” or “I could never” is not part of our thinking. I might think how the heck am I going to do this but not the idea that I can’t. I believe that has been the most important piece to our thus far success. The mindset. I can do this somehow. When we get older we will probably explore the interior of countries with an RV but while we are in the go-go stage of retirement being on the boat is working.

Wifey B: Did you ever boat on Lake Hickory? Only two lakes above where we boated. :D

I applaud your efforts at learning and getting training. Others may say not more than needed but I think you'll be very glad you did so. :thumb:

First week!

Hi all,
I moved to DC and decided to live on a boat, everything is great except for #2 time. Those tight little toilets definitely take some getting use to! Overall though, a few weeks in and I am liking the choice.
Spence

Hi all,
I moved to DC and decided to live on a boat, everything is great except for #2 time. Those tight little toilets definitely take some getting use to! Overall though, a few weeks in and I am liking the choice.
Spence

Now there's a proper introduction!!! Welcome to TF. Hope you become a 'regular' member!

Peter

PS - what kind of boat are we talking with the little toilet?

We haven't quite giving the land thing totally up. Ended up keeping a small place in KY where we left some stuff because insurance was cheaper with a house rather than "full-time", but we have been living on the boat since last Sept. Absolutely love it and will be on it as long as we are able.

We did downsized in stages over a few years.. from the big house we lived with our kids, to a smaller one as left they home, and finally into a motor home as we built a small apartment on our shop for a "residence" if we came back to KY to do some work in our shop.

We got rid of a lot of our things was very liberating.. if we had been there longer, we would have gotten rid of more.

Drove the motor home to Washington state where the boat was.. moved on the boat and sold the motor home.

We love being on the boat, but I acknowledge it's not for everyone. We got lucky as we are both on board with the whole live on a boat until we can no longer crawl up the ladder thing.. but if you haven't done it before, it might be best to try it out for awhile before you jump.

My husband had boats before (prior to our marriage) he went in the military. We had a boat when we were stationed in Hawaii. But neither of us had ever lived on a boat for an extended time.

I think you need to look carefully at finances, can you swing both a house and a boat? If you downsize to a smaller place on land can you do it then?

How do you and your wife handle being on a small space together for an extended time?
What are your plans for the boat? Are you just going to occasionally travel with her, are you planning for summer or winter trips? Or are you going to take off and just keep going?

We are outfitting the boat the way we want and when she's got the self sufficient stuff on her ie solar, water maker etc.. we plan on doing extended cruising.

I do a lot of social media stuff on what we are doing on the boat and the good and not so good on it if you want to check out our craziness to help with your own, message me and I'll give you info. Good luck on it, hope you find it as amazing as we do.

B&B, your dead wrong about my attitude being "come hell or high water".
I can go either way on it...or even skip the boat all together and do it in an RV instead.... or skip that and bounce from VRBO to VRBO.

But I am pretty much convinced that going at something half hearted is a fairly sure fire way to fail. No certainties in that of course, but in the context here ...letting go and travel vs holding on and travelling part time.....I think it's kinda the worst of both ways of doing it with few of the advantages of either one. Kind of like a hybrid car. It can work sure...very well for some people too....but still....

Anyway, you're spot on though about the "people connection" that is probably the single biggest anchor holding my wife down form the idea. A little to do with having a place where the kids can come home to where they grew up. Also a little to do with familiarity of the town and it being "home"...but mostly it's the idea of saying goodbye to friends and never seeing them again.

I look at it I think more like my sister's in-laws. Their kids are grown and somewhat scattered. They also have lots of friends scattered all over. A couple years ago, they put some stuff in storage, sold the house and downsized into a nice class A motorhome. They pretty much travel from friend to friend, staying a week or a month or whatever at a time. My understanding is that they are having a great time and reconnecting with friends from Alaska to I think Florida.

That aligns more with my vision....keep it simple while visiting family, friends, and just interesting places too.....for a few years and then at some point loop back around to settling either back here or perhaps some other place along the way that we like even better

I have to wonder if it's just the fear of the new that makes so many wives not want to take the leap. I was really worried about "leaving" the kids behind even though they are all adults now, some days I still "worry" about family (my dad and step mom are older too) what if something happens and we are out on the ocean and can't get to them immediately. I remind myself often that it's not like they were next door, there would still be time to get to any of them.

I think someone we don't even recognize our reasons for holding back. I found it really helpful to write down a list of reasons why I wanted to be on a boat and why I was worried about it. Helped me be more honest with my reasons where it was in black and white. Maybe that would be something your wife could do.. might help her see what is holding her back on the boat/RV nomadic lifestyle.

You never know for sure if it is for you until you try it..I will say I found being in the RV and then being on a boat truly liberating wish I could have done it years ago.

but if you haven't done it before, it might be best to try it out for awhile before you jump.

My husband had boats before (prior to our marriage) he went in the military. We had a boat when we were stationed in Hawaii. But neither of us had ever lived on a boat for an extended time.

Wifey B: Just as sometimes you don't know what is holding you back, sometimes you don't know until you try whether you can do it or not. :confused:

There was a time in our lives, we could have done it. After we married, it was pretty much just the two of us. We were surrounded by others at work. We occasionally visited family in Myrtle Beach, but seldom others at our home. A boat vs. our home would have been similar living and boating on top of that so fairly easy I think. :)

However, after we moved to Fort Lauderdale we somehow built a very large extended family we're around so much. They're always at our home, often even when we're not. We have discovered our limits. 6 weeks, maximum of 8 and we need home for 3 weeks or so. Last summer, we were in Europe, and due to various limitations we were away from home 110 days, by far our longest ever. We sure did a lot of webcamming and the greetings when we landed home and party that followed. We loved our cruising but, not that there was any question before, we definitely know we could never be full time. :nonono::nonono::nonono: We only survived that 16 weeks be having those we're closest to flying in and joining us for periods of time. :D

Know yourselves. Learn yourselves. Be honest and true to yourselves. It's different for everyone and perhaps different at different stages of your life. I love being on the boat. I love living 6 weeks at a time on the boat. However, I also love home. Torn between two lovers I guess. :)

I've been cogitating on the idea of extended cruising for years now. I spend hour upon hour looking at boat reviews on YouTube and generally researching the subject of trawler operation. My wife, playing the part of "frog in a pot", has been going along on the ride with me, though she gets bored quickly with the technical detail.

Last year, we moved from Portland, OR to Oak Harbor, WA, where she's been able to indulge her love of being near the sea (trips to the beach are now measured in minutes, not hours) and I've been able to indulge my love of looking at boats, with that dream of owning a trawler drawing further into focus.

Knowing that I needed to start slow, I got my WA boater's card, essentially a basic statement of having read and understood some simple safety measures and local regulations. And I acquired a boat, a 24' runabout with a two-berth cabin, a tiny galley, and a closet for a PortaPotti. It needs some work before it goes in the water, but I'm looking forward to a summer of boating around the Puget Sound, camping on the boat on weekends in the San Juans, and developing skills as a mariner. I'm thinking that a year with this boat, moored in a slip so I have easy access to using it, should get me enough skill that I can start thinking about a larger boat.

This is the plan, this is the way.

Last week, having dinner at a marina-view table at Anthony's in Anacortes, my wife says (somewhat wistfully), "I think we should sell the house, buy a boat, and live aboard that."

I almost swallowed my fork.

Discussions over the following week, including a trip to the Anacortes Boat Show (Trawlerfest), drew us to the conclusion that selling the house was impractical, particularly given that since we just moved here, we don't have a lot of equity in it. Better, we think, to use it as a short-term rental and have someplace to return to when the weather gets cold, or if the situation doesn't work out as we thought.

I love the fact that she has such confidence in my ability to absorb everything that's needed to be a boat captain in a full-time cruising situation. I know there's a lot to learn, but also know that doing it is the best way to learn, so I'm trying to integrate this somewhat-accelerated goal of living aboard a boat, at least part of the year, by next summer into my take-it-slow approach.

She confessed to me that the reality is that she has itchy feet. She wants to be moving, and even though we just moved here after spending 23 years in the same house in Portland, she feels the need to keep moving; to see new places and do new things and live a vagabond life.

In one sense, we're lucky that we don't have children. We wanted them (still kind of do, but in our mid-fifties it's looking less likely all the time). We don't have anyone to leave an inheritance for, and only ourselves to look after. If we come across the finish line with eight dollars in the bank that we leave to divide among our nieces and nephews, having lived a few decades of adventure, that sounds perfect.

So I'm reading this thread with great interest. I don't know if we can line everything up in the next year to make our goal, but if not we re-frame it with what we know then. In the meantime, I've got the popcorn bowl out.

JD, sounds like you and your wife are very similar in ilk to my girlfriend and myself. Although we have kids but only one to bring along with us. We bought a 34’ to learn on here on the east coast. Our plan is to relocate to the San Juan’s in 2-3 years and buy another boat there or in Alaska.

Our plan is to relocate to the San Juan’s in 2-3 years and buy another boat there or in Alaska.
If you come out here on an exploratory trip and want a tour guide, let us know.

If you come out here on an exploratory trip and want a tour guide, let us know.

Thanks, we did visit last summer and did air bnb a boat at cap sante marina and spent a couple days there and a couple days in Friday Harbor. We did like both places.

I've been cogitating on the idea of extended cruising for years now. I spend hour upon hour looking at boat reviews on YouTube and generally researching the subject of trawler operation. My wife, playing the part of "frog in a pot", has been going along on the ride with me, though she gets bored quickly with the technical detail.

Last year, we moved from Portland, OR to Oak Harbor, WA, where she's been able to indulge her love of being near the sea (trips to the beach are now measured in minutes, not hours) and I've been able to indulge my love of looking at boats, with that dream of owning a trawler drawing further into focus.

Knowing that I needed to start slow, I got my WA boater's card, essentially a basic statement of having read and understood some simple safety measures and local regulations. And I acquired a boat, a 24' runabout with a two-berth cabin, a tiny galley, and a closet for a PortaPotti. It needs some work before it goes in the water, but I'm looking forward to a summer of boating around the Puget Sound, camping on the boat on weekends in the San Juans, and developing skills as a mariner. I'm thinking that a year with this boat, moored in a slip so I have easy access to using it, should get me enough skill that I can start thinking about a larger boat.

This is the plan, this is the way.

Last week, having dinner at a marina-view table at Anthony's in Anacortes, my wife says (somewhat wistfully), "I think we should sell the house, buy a boat, and live aboard that."

I almost swallowed my fork.

Discussions over the following week, including a trip to the Anacortes Boat Show (Trawlerfest), drew us to the conclusion that selling the house was impractical, particularly given that since we just moved here, we don't have a lot of equity in it. Better, we think, to use it as a short-term rental and have someplace to return to when the weather gets cold, or if the situation doesn't work out as we thought.

I love the fact that she has such confidence in my ability to absorb everything that's needed to be a boat captain in a full-time cruising situation. I know there's a lot to learn, but also know that doing it is the best way to learn, so I'm trying to integrate this somewhat-accelerated goal of living aboard a boat, at least part of the year, by next summer into my take-it-slow approach.

She confessed to me that the reality is that she has itchy feet. She wants to be moving, and even though we just moved here after spending 23 years in the same house in Portland, she feels the need to keep moving; to see new places and do new things and live a vagabond life.

In one sense, we're lucky that we don't have children. We wanted them (still kind of do, but in our mid-fifties it's looking less likely all the time). We don't have anyone to leave an inheritance for, and only ourselves to look after. If we come across the finish line with eight dollars in the bank that we leave to divide among our nieces and nephews, having lived a few decades of adventure, that sounds perfect.

So I'm reading this thread with great interest. I don't know if we can line everything up in the next year to make our goal, but if not we re-frame it with what we know then. In the meantime, I've got the popcorn bowl out.

Wifey B: Love your story. :D

We always had dreams we were working toward and they all involved boating. :speed boat: They were not the type boating we do today because we hadn't been exposed to it. They were boating on the lake in NC we lived on or boating on the TN river, perhaps 3 to 4 week trips. Boating out of Myrtle Beach had crossed our minds, but we didn't really understand that. We understood the TN River. Then somehow we ended up boating crazy and in Fort Lauderdale. :dance:

We always hoped to one day retire and experience more and we always hoped to do that on the water. I see so many people doing the same thing day over day until they're 60 or 70 or older and not thinking beyond that. I hope they're happy. We both loved our jobs, but always needed dreams beyond them. We had to think of life after the life we were living and enjoying. We also didn't have children although we did adopt a 26 year old who came into our live at 18 and we have been involved with an orphanage for 20 years, and we are tied down by those we love but plenty of time to boat. I read about your wife's itchy feet, need to keep moving. I think we both have that. Should we be able to just sit back and relax and enjoy? Perhaps, but that's just not us. We just can't stop doing new things, seeing new places, enjoying new experiences. Some people can and some observe us and just ask why as they don't understand. :confused:

My hubby and I figured out we have a condition not really defined in the journals. We don't have ADHD, because we can concentrate and focus, we just don't choose to. I think we're definitely wired differently. Others think we're moving fast or doing a lot at a time we think we're moving slow and casually. Others think we're impulsive when we feel like we've thought it through. We're not inattentive, but can be quickly bored. Deciding at night in a hotel room in Tampa to retire to Fort Lauderdale immediately seems impulsive but it came out of years of thought and discussion and just knowing. :D

I applaud you and your wife and the way you've summed up her thoughts just connects so quickly for me. I don't know what we'll be doing 20 years from now, but I do know by now it will include new endeavors and it most definitely won't be boring. I mentioned us being wired differently, but I think all people are unique individuals and are then also. I see all the tests and attempts at labeling and I can't imagine fitting in any of those groupings. :)

Each couple, each person has to figure out what is right for them. At 50, you haven't accomplished everything you will in life. I don't like ever thinking of anything in life as an ending. Hated that thought associated with graduations. No, the beginning of a whole new life. Even for those giving up boating, I hope there's always thought of what comes after. I know one hear for whom that's RV'ing. Even when the physical limitations hit us, unless the mental ones do as well, we can dream on. I will slow down when I'm physically forced, but not until then. :nonono::nonono::nonono:

I think we're definitely wired differently. Others think we're moving fast or doing a lot at a time we think we're moving slow and casually. Others think we're impulsive when we feel like we've thought it through. We're not inattentive, but can be quickly bored
Yep, that's us.

We sold our house and moved aboard our boat in Summer 2020. We were planning to cruise up and down the east coast and live aboard full-time, but family issues are keeping us in New England for the time being. At the end of boating season we ended up renting a beach condo for the 2020/2021 Winter to stay near family and frankly, we weren't sure what we were going to do next or when we were going to do it, but we were still happy because boat life is just wonderful.

Near the end of the Winter rental, the condo we were in was offered for sale to us at below market value. We bought it immediately and rented it out on Airbnb from May 2021 to Oct 2021 while we lived on the boat in the marina 1500 feet from the condo. We grossed 10% of the purchase price in 5 months which was way better than we thought we'd do.

Because the condo rental worked out really well, our financial advisor recommended selling some land we had owned for years and getting another similar beach condo to rent out short-term, year round. The land sold really quickly and we ended up getting an identical condo in the same building, two doors down from the one we live in half the year, also below market value (both condo sales were by word of mouth with no real estate listing or fees). The new place was occupied within hours of hitting the market on AirBnB at the beginiing of this month, and is booking up nicely for the Summer season, just like our first condo did. We were even able to secure another condo, by word of mouth, for some friends to buy as an investment. Theirs is doing just as well as our two on the short-term rental market.

If all goes as expected, we plan to get one more condo in a year or two. We may just keep buying them, if and when we can afford to, in retirement starting in 3 years. We still hope to cruise full-time some day, but for now we are quite happy because as it turns out, living in a New England beach town year-round is pretty fun.

FWIW, we have a great relationship with our real estate management team and all the details, cleaning, resupply, security, etc. for rentals are handled by them for 20% of the gross revenue. We decorated an outfitted the condos really nicely and thoughtfully and our customers love the management team and the condos (our reviews average 4.95 stars out of 5). We love not being involved.

Anyway, that's our rookie story.

We sold our house and moved aboard our boat in Summer 2020. We were planning to cruise up and down the east coast and live aboard full-time, but family issues are keeping us in New England for the time being. At the end of boating season we ended up renting a beach condo for the 2020/2021 Winter to stay near family and frankly, we weren't sure what we were going to do next or when we were going to do it, but we were still happy because boat life is just wonderful.

Near the end of the Winter rental, the condo we were in was offered for sale to us at below market value. We bought it immediately and rented it out on Airbnb from May 2021 to Oct 2021 while we lived on the boat in the marina 1500 feet from the condo. We grossed 10% of the purchase price in 5 months which was way better than we thought we'd do.

Because the condo rental worked out really well, our financial advisor recommended selling some land we had owned for years and getting another similar beach condo to rent out short-term, year round. The land sold really quickly and we ended up getting an identical condo in the same building, two doors down from the one we live in half the year, also below market value (both condo sales were by word of mouth with no real estate listing or fees). The new place was occupied within hours of hitting the market on AirBnB at the beginiing of this month, and is booking up nicely for the Summer season, just like our first condo did. We were even able to secure another condo, by word of mouth, for some friends to buy as an investment. Theirs is doing just as well as our two on the short-term rental market.

If all goes as expected, we plan to get one more condo in a year or two. We may just keep buying them, if and when we can afford to, in retirement starting in 3 years. We still hope to cruise full-time some day, but for now we are quite happy because as it turns out, living in a New England beach town year-round is pretty fun.

FWIW, we have a great relationship with our real estate management team and all the details, cleaning, resupply, security, etc. for rentals are handled by them for 20% of the gross revenue. We decorated an outfitted the condos really nicely and thoughtfully and our customers love the management team and the condos (our reviews average 4.95 stars out of 5). We love not being involved.

Anyway, that's our rookie story.

Vacation rentals and AirBnB and all variants of the two are booming right now in South Florida. The successful ones are well managed as you relate in your situation. Regulation in our area was feared and fought and has actually improved the situation as it's strengthened the professional operators and eliminated many of the problems. Like you've found a good management company, this has led to some excellent management companies in our area.

Fact is you're happy with your situation today and you'll move on when you desire. You took step one, you did so with a safety net or insurance, and you will now move further if and when it fits for you.

Wifey B:

My hubby and I figured out we have a condition not really defined in the journals. We don't have ADHD, because we can concentrate and focus, we just don't choose to. I think we're definitely wired differently. :

FWIW, people with ADHD can concentrate and focus. What you describe is typical of people diagnosed with ADHD. Here's a little snipet from an online site:

Children and adults with ADHD find it very hard to focus on boring mundane tasks, yet can focus exceptionally well on activities that interest them. In fact, when they are engaged in a task that is interesting to them, they focus so well that it is called hyperfocus.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom