Old 11-18-2021, 11:36 PM   #41
TF Site Team

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
We lived in Tucson for 30 years. Loved it for the first 27 or so, but the last few years became unbearable. And it is getting worse with the extreme heat. We moved back to Michigan and now live on the water and love it. Yes, the winters can be bad but it is a nice change of pace. The PNW winters are not too bad. Our first winter back in Michigan we had -10 to -12 for over a week. But the last few winters have been much more mild. We loved living in Tucson but never again. Good luck.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 02:27 AM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Yes you can move your boat between the PACNW and Mexico, plenty of folks do it every year. Some estimates I have read report the number to be upwards of 2,000 recreational boats entering Mexico on the pacific side every fall.

As far as what weather is tolerable, that is 100% subjective.

Right now it's -18F at my old house in Alaska and +10F at my boat in Seward Alaska. To me right now, 40's and 50's with a few 30's thrown in sure sounds nice.

But then again, since my home is mobile why even "tolerate" that? I like warm weather, and the ability to not wear a jacket, so why not migrate?

The high tomorrow in San Diego is going to be 65 and it will be 86 in La Paz. Both of those temperatures sound a lot funner than the PACNW normals for winter and a world of difference than winter in Alaska.

This is my last winter being stuck inside for 6 months due to the cold and when it's warmer the constant rain. Life is just too short to live it dreaming for 6 months out of the year about how nice it will be the other 6 months.
ksanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 11:16 AM   #43
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post

This is my last winter being stuck inside for 6 months due to the cold and when it's warmer the constant rain. Life is just too short to live it dreaming for 6 months out of the year about how nice it will be the other 6 months.
When you're working full time, then being stuck inside doesn't get to you as much. I didn't mind bad weather when I couldn't get outside anyway. However, retired, I want as many nice leisure days as possible.

We boated every possible weekend in NC. Even in the 40's. We averaged 3 days per month in November through February, even with holidays. Had we not worked we likely would have averaged 6 days a month those months. Now we average 20-22 days a month those same months in 70+ degrees. If we worked full time would likely be 8 or so per month. You don't really realize what you're missing as you're conditioned to a certain lifestyle.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 11:58 AM   #44
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
It’s not the cold that gets you. It’s the rain. You need to go grocery shopping? Just the walk to the car will make you damp and cold. An umbrella will only keep you half dry. This is why the PNW is such a snowbird destination.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 12:53 PM   #45

City: Ocean park
Vessel Name: Tug life
Vessel Model: Nordic tug 26
It’s absolutely horrible in the Pacific North West much nicer down south warm weather palm trees women in bikinis ,horrible in the Pacific Northwest. I would suggest not coming here and if you live here go down to Florida and don’t come back.Tell everybody how bad the weather is and how much it rains please
Scooby5959 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 01:03 PM   #46
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby5959 View Post
Itís absolutely horrible in the Pacific North West much nicer down south warm weather palm trees women in bikinis ,horrible in the Pacific Northwest. I would suggest not coming here and if you live here go down to Florida and donít come back.Tell everybody how bad the weather is and how much it rains please
Absolutely, completely sucks. Don't know why I'm here. LOL
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 01:46 PM   #47

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Akeeva
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
The high tomorrow in San Diego is going to be 65 and it will be 86 in La Paz. Both of those temperatures sound a lot funner than the PACNW normals for winter and a world of difference than winter in Alaska.

We're in San Diego now. It was in the 80s last week and we were swimming at Catalina. The last rain was weeks ago when we were in San Francisco and we haven't missed the rain one bit!
Retriever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 10:34 PM   #48
Guru

City: Gooding ID/Wrangell AK
Vessel Name: Silver Bay
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42-002
Kevin,

I know it’s hard to leave having been somewhere in Alaska all but one year since 1975. After selling our house of 30 years in Anchorage in 2018, we bought a house in southern Idaho where we can see snow, but have sun a lot of the time. Our boat stays in Wrangell, where there are a surprising number of people from south central as well as the western US. For most of the people in Alaska, Southeast is the flyover area. I’m glad during 46 years I have been to places like Attu, St Paul, Kaktovik, Nome, Kotzebue, Utiagvik, Bethel, King Salmon, Kodiak, and all over Southeast. I can’t think of a place I didn’t like or wouldn’t live except maybe Juneau. We only go to Juneau to hit Costco. The people in that town don’t understand what the rest of the state has to deal with everyday.

Tom
tpbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 05:22 PM   #49

City: Santa Fe, NM
Vessel Name: High Slack
Vessel Model: Selene 43
I have lived most of my life in New Mexico, and I also am less keen on the hotter and drier climate being experienced in the southwestern United States.

If you see things from that perspective, then you will find PNW winters mostly a delight - as I have for the last few years. The location where you plan to winter is important. Find yourself moorage in the famous rain shadow of the Olympics, and enjoy a moist and mostly moderate climate - itís not too wet and itís not too cold; itís just right. (Except, that is, if you like long spells of sunny days.) After my first winter on sunny Orcas Island, I became convinced that the year round climate in the San Juans is one of Americaís great climate secrets. Same with Sidney, BC, and Iím sure other places in that rain shadow.
Kawini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 05:59 PM   #50
Guru

City: Currently hiding out in Smith, NV, USA
Liveaboard Life in Alaska - views from the boat.

Wait , you lived in Anchorage for thirty years but you think the residents of JUNEAU donít understand the rest of the state? Lol.
Alaskaflyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 06:30 PM   #51

City: Bellingham
Vessel Name: Hale Moku
Vessel Model: 4788 Bayliner
Retirement is good

Raised in Hawaii...paradise for weather Barr none. Careers in the PNW all the way north on the water. While we were working it was great. However, while not working...to restrictive weather wise. I was raised in shorts and bare feet and I will die in shorts and bare feet. Bought our Livaboard boat and a dock to put it on. We spend April-September boating the inside passage...rehydrating. Then head 20 miles south of Tucson for blue skies sunshine for an outdoor winter...where we dehydrate. One of many ways to play the weather during our retirement years. Of course trips home to Hawaii for sand and surf are necessary annually. Life is to short for restrictive weather...find your sweet spots and and all will be good
Timicrinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 06:33 PM   #52
Guru

City: Currently hiding out in Smith, NV, USA
What I’ve learned about myself is most of the year in the mountains or PNW and a few weeks in the desert or Hawaii to thaw and dry are much preferable to vice versa. If anything the last eighteen months hiding out <- have been a stark reminder of what I already knew. Hope to rectify that soon and maybe pass Kevin somewhere east of Vancouver Island going the other way.
Alaskaflyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 07:34 PM   #53
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Someone said, "I don't want to live anywhere that the average temperature is less than my age."
With the 'global warming', that 'anywhere' seems to be or should be getting larger and larger.
Old 11-24-2021, 07:49 PM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
it was -24F at my old home in Big Lake Alaska two mornings ago.

Here in Alaska we spend 6 months dreaming of what we want to do the other 6 months.

I have said it again...

Life is just too short to only get to live it 6 months out of a year.
ksanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 08:46 PM   #55
Guru

City: Tacoma, WA & Ashland, OR
Vessel Name: SEEADLER
Vessel Model: RAWSON 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby5959 View Post
It’s absolutely horrible in the Pacific North West much nicer down south warm weather palm trees women in bikinis ,horrible in the Pacific Northwest. I would suggest not coming here and if you live here go down to Florida and don’t come back.Tell everybody how bad the weather is and how much it rains please
My late mother claimed to be "the woman who ruined Seattle". We lived there in 1946-7, then moved to Los Angeles where she proceeded to tell everyone she met how wonderful the Pacific Northwest is.

...the rest is history
AlaskaProf is offline   Reply With Quote