Old 07-15-2020, 07:17 PM   #1

City: Jasper
Live aboard haters

I have been looking into living aboard, but is finding out marinas don’t like live aboards . Why is that? I m new to boating an it will take me some time before I m able to cruise full time.
Basmith1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 07:37 PM   #2

City: St Petersburg
Vessel Name: Knot Fast
Vessel Model: Great Harbour GH37
Varies by Marina, but no shortage in FL.
Mine charges an extra $200 a month for the additional services, which seems fair to me. About 25% of boats at my Marina are live aboards.
Knot Fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 07:41 PM   #3
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Pretty much most of the marinas up this way are happy to have liveaboards.

Where are you seeing the hatred specifically?
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 07:51 PM   #4
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
It only takes one bad Apple to spoil the whole barrel. Four out of five liveaboards look like every other boat in the marina but that 5th one is usually a blue tarp special with bikes and plants all over it. Boat hasn’t been washed or left the dock for years, there is a collection of derelict dingys around it and the owner has three broken down cars in the parking lot. Not to mention this same person keeps throwing tenant rights Complaints at the port manager. Same individual is probably pumping black water at night and has a barking dog that defecates on the dock regularly.
tiltrider1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 07:58 PM   #5
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltrider1 View Post
It only takes one bad Apple to spoil the whole barrel. Four out of five liveaboards look like every other boat in the marina but that 5th one is usually a blue tarp special with bikes and plants all over it. Boat hasn’t been washed or left the dock for years, there is a collection of derelict dingys around it and the owner has three broken down cars in the parking lot. Not to mention this same person keeps throwing tenant rights Complaints at the port manager. Same individual is probably pumping black water at night and has a barking dog that defecates on the dock regularly.
Didn't know we were in the same marina....I think that guys name is Jack.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 08:04 PM   #6
Guru

City: Coupeville Wa.
Vessel Name: Pacific Myst
Vessel Model: West Bay 4500
What tiltrider1 says. And more. Then you have the self appointed watch dogs who think liveaboards are getting away with something for free. And in the state of Washington regulators think liveaboards are an unnecessary additional source of pollution. And the revenue department thinks liveabords are escaping paying taxes. In my opinion marinas are tired of fighting the battle and just limit or shutdown liveaboards.

Me? I think responsible liveaboards, which are the majority, are a benefit to the marina and community. And I like the lifestyle. I've livedaboard for 5 different multi year stretches. I moved ashore again about 18 months ago and probably won't liveaboard in Washington state again.
Portage_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 08:34 PM   #7

City: Guntersville, Al
Vessel Name: StarLite
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II - 2003
Yeah Jack's the guy, and that dog of his pee's on my dock lines every time he hits the docks!
Olebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 08:40 PM   #8

What marina is it ?
Old 07-15-2020, 08:42 PM   #9

What marina is it ? Where in Fl
Old 07-15-2020, 09:18 PM   #10

City: Tasmania
Vessel Model: Sea Ranger 46
Certainly agree with tiltrider, most Marina's have one or two as stated.

Personally I prefer a marina with a number of liveaboards scattered evenly throughout, to keep an eye on things developing, issues with my boat and basic security, and always make a point to get to know them.
They usually have tools to borrow, advice to give, and often more friendly than the random boat user, offering to grab a line when berthing etc.
Southern Boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 09:50 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
I like to have some liveaboards around when we kept our boat in a marina. They were the security guards because they knew what was normal. But there are some like Jack that screw it up for everyone. We had a liveaboard in California that was next to our boat. It was nice, if I had a delivery he would open the boat and accept the delivery for me. He also like to make some cash on the side so he would wash our boat fo us. The dock master hated him and was constantly asking me to complain about him so he could build a file to evict him from the marina. I always said no that he was a good neighbor. Not sure exactly why he hated him but he did.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 12:23 AM   #12
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
By regulation, liveaboards here are limited to ten percent of the berths. Not wanting marinas as a major source of low-cost housing verses recreational boating, and, I suppose, to reduce black-water pollution from those not paying for pump-out service or wanting to move their boats to the local pumps.

Here, liveaboards are good neighbors.

Hint: being a transient is not a "liveaboard."
Old 07-16-2020, 12:42 AM   #13
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Portage_Bay View Post
What tiltrider1 says. And more. Then you have the self appointed watch dogs who think liveaboards are getting away with something for free. And in the state of Washington regulators think liveaboards are an unnecessary additional source of pollution. And the revenue department thinks liveabords are escaping paying taxes. In my opinion marinas are tired of fighting the battle and just limit or shutdown liveaboards. ...
Here, boat owners pay property taxes on their boats, and in my municipal marina, property taxes on their rented berths. Just like having a "dirt" home. If wanting to avoid paying taxes, live in a "mobile-home" development.
Old 07-16-2020, 02:45 AM   #14
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
A few reasons why marina managers are careful about liveaboards.

1. Regulatory. As stated by markpierce, in some areas such as San Francisco Bay, there are governmental restrictions.

2. Cheap living isn't cool. Marinas often coincide with expensive real estate (again, San Francisco). Someone looking for cheap housing is not a great value proposition to a marina. Owner's often compromise condition for size and expense (ergo the blue-tarp comment on a previous post).

3. Clutter. Many people do not adapt well to the space constraints. Exhibit 1 are the cars and vans parked in a parking lot that are fulled to the brim with belongings and haven't moved in months. It's annoying when you can't find a decent parking space. And then there are the rusting carcasses of bikes, etc. Or every shower stall is filled with liveaboards. List goes on.

Marina managers are in charge of developing and managing the ambiance at their marina. Too many liveaboards and it becomes a low-rent trailer park that is not attractive to day-sailors.

I've lived in a couple marinas that did not allow liveaboards, but I didn't move in as a liveaboard. I got to know the harbor master first and eventually asked for permission. I remember one such conversation at Treasure Island when it was still under Navy control: "Peter, if you were to ask, I'd have to say 'no.' So my recommendation is for you to not ask." Classic military response! Had I tried to fly under the radar, he would have figured it out quickly and booted me to the curb.

Peter
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 06:28 AM   #15
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
The marina I stay at in Florida is part of a country club. The lease you sign gives the club express permission to remove your boat if the appearance committee decides your boat isn't in keeping with their high standards, and they've done it. At one point they were going to throw the few sailboats out as they felt the mast spreaders attracted birds that crapped on boats. Cooler heads prevailed. But you will never hear a halyard slapping an aluminum mast in that marina. All in all, it's a very nice clean place with well cared for boats owned by friendly people. Probably less than 10% are liveaboard.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 07:22 AM   #16
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basmith1971 View Post
What marina is it ? Where in Fl

It's not about a specific marina but very many along the East Coast...
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 07:36 AM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Here, boat owners pay property taxes on their boats, and in my municipal marina, property taxes on their rented berths. Just like having a "dirt" home. If wanting to avoid paying taxes, live in a "mobile-home" development.

Washington State are taxed on the boat as well. The taxes I referred to in my earlier post are what the state sees as missing out on waterfront home property tax. In addition to the tax on the boat they are trying to pass a law that will tax liveabords for the "waterfront" they occupy. Nonsense, the marina is already paying property taxes.
Old 07-16-2020, 07:41 AM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
A few reasons why marina managers are careful about liveaboards.

1. Regulatory. As stated by markpierce, in some areas such as San Francisco Bay, there are governmental restrictions.

2. Cheap living isn't cool. Marinas often coincide with expensive real estate (again, San Francisco). Someone looking for cheap housing is not a great value proposition to a marina. Owner's often compromise condition for size and expense (ergo the blue-tarp comment on a previous post).

3. Clutter. Many people do not adapt well to the space constraints. Exhibit 1 are the cars and vans parked in a parking lot that are fulled to the brim with belongings and haven't moved in months. It's annoying when you can't find a decent parking space. And then there are the rusting carcasses of bikes, etc. Or every shower stall is filled with liveaboards. List goes on.

Marina managers are in charge of developing and managing the ambiance at their marina. Too many liveaboards and it becomes a low-rent trailer park that is not attractive to day-sailors.

I've lived in a couple marinas that did not allow liveaboards, but I didn't move in as a liveaboard. I got to know the harbor master first and eventually asked for permission. I remember one such conversation at Treasure Island when it was still under Navy control: "Peter, if you were to ask, I'd have to say 'no.' So my recommendation is for you to not ask." Classic military response! Had I tried to fly under the radar, he would have figured it out quickly and booted me to the curb.

Peter

Every bit of what you say about "low rent" liveaboards is true. Regarding the don't ask approach. That used to work at some marinas around here if you kept a low profile in terms of your points 1 to 3. Not so much now with the state being on the war path against liveaboards marina managers are left with little choice but to chase liveaboards out. And it isn't just boats the govt is after. Seattle's famous floating homes came under fire not too many years ago.
Old 07-16-2020, 10:46 AM   #19
Guru

City: Everett WA.
Vessel Name: Triton
Vessel Model: 48' Golden Egg Harbor
Quote:
Right on the $$ at every marina on the West Coast.

A lot of people were buying $2000.00 22 foot + junk sail boats and living on them for the cheap rent. Everett had a few more than other places and now there is no longer even a wait list for a live aboard slip.
RonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 10:47 AM   #20
Guru

City: Alexandria, VA
Vessel Model: 2000 Wellcraft
Quote:
There's always one in every marina.
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote