Live aboard haters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This old woman dumped a pan of something off the bow of her boat. The liquid left a ring/stain like substance floating on the surface.

I was informed later that what she had dumped was urine.

Urine doesn't do that. I can't even see how the marina staff could prove that after the fact. I'm guessing you called, there was a history (They were probably known to be offensive to the eye and the nose), the marina had had enough, and that is the reason they gave for asking them to leave.

I have been in marinas where money or certain habits may have fooled the eye but not my ethics meter.

Shrew -Urine doesn't do that. I can't even see how the marina staff could prove that after the fact.
Someone who is belligerent enough to dump anything, would mix it with something else to cover the material being dumped. I'm not witness to such mixing, nor am I a chemist.
But, being informed later of a substance like that, leads me to believe somebody had to make a pretty serious effort to fact-find this stuff floating in the water, salt water at that.

I always dump my wet vac into the marina. Or perhaps I should say, I dump my wet vac back into the marina. I suck up the bilge water after working on the AC SW hull valve. The water gets warm during the summer, the sea critters build up in the grating of the SW inlet impeding the flow. The diver never gets it clean enough so I attack it from the inside.
So from whence it comes, whence it goes. SMILE
I should point out, I have no oil or grease in my bilges.

It only takes one bad Apple to spoil the whole barrel. Four out of five liveaboards look like every other boat in the marina but that 5th one is usually a blue tarp special with bikes and plants all over it. Boat hasn’t been washed or left the dock for years, there is a collection of derelict dingys around it and the owner has three broken down cars in the parking lot. Not to mention this same person keeps throwing tenant rights Complaints at the port manager. Same individual is probably pumping black water at night and has a barking dog that defecates on the dock regularly.

So many good replies in this thread. If you end up dealing with a marina that indicates they "don't like live aboards" (but do not have a policy prohibiting them), send them this article:

https://48north.com/news/theres-a-fire-in-the-marina/

As live aboards, we have saved boats in the marina during storms in the middle of the night, reported fuel spills, continuous running bilge pumps, electrical outages, etc. Some of which would have gone unchecked until the next day with potentially disastrous consequences. They like us around here!

2 spot on responses.

Now for my first post...I bought a Carver 3607 so that I could live aboard it during the summer here in Maine where I am a nurse at a coastal hospital. I apparently got lucky because I was able to get a slip my first year as a boat owner. The reason I got lucky was due to Covid 19. The decreased transient traffic allowed the marina to rent me slip for the season. I keep my boat looking as clean as it can be for a well used 1985. It smells of neither toilet nor Pine-sol. I don't bug my neighbors, I pay my marina bills and I follow the rules. I take the boat out to the various Islands of PenBay every weekend. After getting my wife to "love" the boat I was compelled to ask about next year. I was told that I would be put on a list for next year but that a second year on the dock is unlikely. I am on several marina's "wait lists" hoping to get lucky once again. I won't have an answer from any until at least March. I really do not want to take a dinghy out to a mooring at 11pm 5 nights a week. Please wish me luck...

Welcome Phatboat!

I know Canden, Rockport, Rockland well - from late 60's to mid 70's. Built and owned a tavern/restaurant "The Hunter" in Camden [it's been gone for years]. If you want to know of the best realtor in the district - PM me and I'll provide contact info.

Cheers!! - Art

Enjoy you months in that area. Penobscot Bay is GREAT!

Welcome Phatboat!

Enjoy you months in that area. Penobscot Bay is GREAT!

Penbay is fantastic. So much so that PENBAY is my vanity plate for my car. I was just informed that I am at the top of the list for a slip next year. Yeah! In the meantime my boat is getting put on the hard as hurricane Teddy is sure to flip some boats at the marina. :eek:

I love waking up on my boat at a marina.

I love going to sleep on my boat at a marina.

Come to think of it, I love being on my boat anytime at a marina... or anywhere else for that matter.

But, yes living on a boat is a wonderful way to negotiate life and I wish there were more opportuties and space for liveaboard living, not less.

I love waking up on my boat at a marina.

I love going to sleep on my boat at a marina.

Come to think of it, I love being on my boat anytime at a marina... or anywhere else for that matter.

But, yes living on a boat is a wonderful way to negotiate life and I wish there were more opportuties and space for liveaboard living, not less.

I would agree with all of this.

City may say does not meet their codes compliance. Used to be at a marina in city of Hampton VA, marina had to post a sign in a window saying no liveaboards due to violation of city ordinance.
And this was an official city notice printed up by the city, not the marina.
But regardless about 5% did live on their boats.
I think it was due to sewage pollution issues, the city claiming liveaboards dump their raw sewage into the water from the boat. Thing is they themselves are guilty of much worse sewage pollution, for years, a broken sewage pipe leaked millions of gallons of raw sewage into the Back River. And some state water quality personnel came by to the marina in Seaford off Chisman creek to take water samples 2 days ago, saying Hampton had another major sewage leak

And in Seaford when I got my slip, she said they did not want people living aboard, and no one does there. It is a much smaller marina.

Last edited:
OP: I was a full time liveaboard for 18 months in Boston. I had a great experience but it wasn't easy.

There are many factors. As others have mentioned, many times the management doesn't like liveaboards and/or understand our lifestyle.

The real estate thing is a biggie too. Boston's home prices and rents are VERY high. So having people living on a boat for a fraction of the prevailing cost of living many times conjures up bad vibes for folks. Pure jealousy mostly. Lol.

Another big problem in the northeast with liveaboards is the higher rate of boat fires due to heating in the winter. Like propane, space heaters, shoddy electrical work etc. Big liability.

I would keep searching though. There are good marinas out there that allow liveaboards. But they are few and far between unfortunately.

Whats strange though, the boats in the water..... good chance have electrical resistance heating for engines engine rooms and possible living spaces on low.

And they go unattended for greater periods of time.

Wonder what the stats split really is.

Plenty of live aboard marinas on the Chesapeake.
OP: I was a full time liveaboard for 18 months in Boston. I had a great experience but it wasn't easy.

There are many factors. As others have mentioned, many times the management doesn't like liveaboards and/or understand our lifestyle.

The real estate thing is a biggie too. Boston's home prices and rents are VERY high. So having people living on a boat for a fraction of the prevailing cost of living many times conjures up bad vibes for folks. Pure jealousy mostly. Lol.

Another big problem in the northeast with liveaboards is the higher rate of boat fires due to heating in the winter. Like propane, space heaters, shoddy electrical work etc. Big liability.

I would keep searching though. There are good marinas out there that allow liveaboards. But they are few and far between unfortunately.

Only takes one

It only takes one bad Apple to spoil the whole barrel. Four out of five liveaboards look like every other boat in the marina but that 5th one is usually a blue tarp special with bikes and plants all over it. Boat hasn’t been washed or left the dock for years, there is a collection of derelict dingys around it and the owner has three broken down cars in the parking lot. Not to mention this same person keeps throwing tenant rights Complaints at the port manager. Same individual is probably pumping black water at night and has a barking dog that defecates on the dock regularly.

Wow, You nailed it! We have one of those at each marina.

We had one such boat in our marina. Recently, the owner was asked to leave which he did. It is now anchored, four or five anchors surrounding, in a cove nearby and he is living aboard. It's engine is inoperable. The owner is well over 80 years old. Nice guy. He has no intention of moving anywhere else. He will die on that boat and we will have another derelict boat with which to deal.
Wow, You nailed it! We have one of those at each marina.

We had one such boat in our marina. Recently, the owner was asked to leave which he did. It is now anchored, four or five anchors surrounding, in a cove nearby and he is living aboard. It's engine is inoperable. The owner is well over 80 years old. Nice guy. He has no intention of moving anywhere else. He will die on that boat and we will have another derelict boat with which to deal.

Wonder how many people die on their boat [from natural causes - old age especially]?? :confused:

Not a bad place to kiss it all goodbye!! :popcorn: :thumb: :facepalm:

:speed boat:

Wonder how many people die on their boat [from natural causes - old age especially]?? :confused:

Not a bad place to kiss it all goodbye!! :popcorn: :thumb: :facepalm:

:speed boat:

It happens but not often. They usually die in a hospital. We did just loose one who passed away in the night. On his boat. First time in many many years.

The prior owner of our boat dropped dead on the boat on a Friday, the day after we agreed on the final price after survey. The sale was completed the following Monday. The widow must have engaged an attorney to get the propoer paperwork filed so tjat she could sign transfer papers for the estate.
It happens but not often. They usually die in a hospital. We did just loose one who passed away in the night. On his boat. First time in many many years.

The prior owner of our boat dropped dead on the boat on a Friday, the day after we agreed on the final price after survey. The sale was completed the following Monday. The widow must have engaged an attorney to get the propoer paperwork filed so tjat she could sign transfer papers for the estate.

That is the way to go. I have told my wife that when I get too old to get on and off the boat just take me out to the middle of Lake Huron and push me overboard and then go home because life might as well be over anyway.

The first owner of our 1977 Tolly had to be carried off the boat at 93 years in 2007. He died shortly after. Close to dieing board.

The first owner of our 1977 Tolly had to be carried off the boat at 93 years in 2007. He died shortly after. Close to dieing board.

Yes, you would not want to buy a boat that somebody died on. I was inspecting a house one time where the lady died and nobody knew. She literally soaked down into the cement slab. They had to jackhammer the slab out. While I was there checking the repairs there was a realtor showing the house to prospective buyers. I just kept quiet about the lady dying but I always wondered if the realtor disclosed the death to the buyers.

Yes, you would not want to buy a boat that somebody died on. I was inspecting a house one time where the lady died and nobody knew. She literally soaked down into the cement slab. They had to jackhammer the slab out. While I was there checking the repairs there was a realtor showing the house to prospective buyers. I just kept quiet about the lady dying but I always wondered if the realtor disclosed the death to the buyers.

Damn... There goes my appetite :facepalm: :nonono: :D

Damn... There goes my appetite :facepalm: :nonono: :D

I had an uncle who died and it was at least a week before they found him dead, on a hard wood floor. Oh yea, could seen the 'ghost' on the floor.

The lady actually soaked into the slab and they couldn’t get rid of the smell so the replaced that area of the slab...

The lady actually soaked into the slab and they couldn’t get rid of the smell so the replaced that area of the slab...

I am a bit surprised they didn't have to burn the house down and start over

I am a bit surprised they didn't have to burn the house down and start over

Nope, new slab and flooring abd a bit of paint and they sold the house. I would not have wanted it...

That is the way to go. I have told my wife that when I get too old to get on and off the boat just take me out to the middle of Lake Huron and push me overboard and then go home because life might as well be over anyway.

I told my wife the same thing, except in the middle of Puget Sound.

She said with my luck, I would get rescued in worse shape and she would end up spoon feeding me and wiping my butt for years.

Nope, new slab and flooring abd a bit of paint and they sold the house. I would not have wanted it...

We have a young family/friend who is in college but rehabs a house each summer and then rents it out. She got a house after a murder in it. She was able to just pull up the floor and replace sheetrock, slab was easily cleaned.

Still the worse one for me was a girl I went to elementary, middle and high school with and she always sat one seat behind me due to our last names. Our mothers were also friends. After graduation, I didn't see her or hear from her. Then the story hit the newspaper and television about 15 years later. There was a rental home on which the couple stopped paying rent so the landlord went to check on it. No response so he called the police and with them entered. There was a horrendous smell and they had fire personnel then enter. The power had been disconnected for non payment. The husband had killed her and put her in a freezer but obviously everything thawed. I can't imagine ever renting or buying that house. I still hurt to think of this happening to her.

Back
Top Bottom