Old 07-18-2020, 10:13 AM   #41
Guru

City: Coupeville Wa.
Vessel Name: Pacific Myst
Vessel Model: West Bay 4500
Rules that I've seen applied to all not just liveaboards that make the marina a better place.

Anything left on the dock if obvious which boat it belongs to will be placed aboard, if not will be moved to storage by the marina staff, either generates a minimum 1 hr labor charge.

Two vehicles per slip. All vehicles licensed and road ready, not to be ued for storage.

# of days a vehicle may be left in the lot. Both consecutive days and days per month. Yes, that makes it a challenge when leaving on a long cruise.

For liveaboards.

Define liveaboard as the total days per month and the total consecutive days aboard with a minimum time away before re-occupying the boat.

Require liveaboards to have regular pump outs.

Require liveaboards to pay an additional fee to cover the extra costs they generate.

Stipulate that liveaboards are not tenants in the usual apartment rental sense and have no tenant's rights. They are slip renters and the liveaboard agreement can be terminated at any time, without notice for any reason. That gets rid of the problem liveaboards.
Portage_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 12:18 PM   #42
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Portage_Bay View Post
Rules that I've seen applied to all not just liveaboards that make the marina a better place.

Anything left on the dock if obvious which boat it belongs to will be placed aboard, if not will be moved to storage by the marina staff, either generates a minimum 1 hr labor charge.

Two vehicles per slip. All vehicles licensed and road ready, not to be ued for storage.

# of days a vehicle may be left in the lot. Both consecutive days and days per month. Yes, that makes it a challenge when leaving on a long cruise.

For liveaboards.

Define liveaboard as the total days per month and the total consecutive days aboard with a minimum time away before re-occupying the boat.

Require liveaboards to have regular pump outs.

Require liveaboards to pay an additional fee to cover the extra costs they generate.

Stipulate that liveaboards are not tenants in the usual apartment rental sense and have no tenant's rights. They are slip renters and the liveaboard agreement can be terminated at any time, without notice for any reason. That gets rid of the problem liveaboards.
I own 2 slips..... so the rules are a bit different for me.
Old 07-18-2020, 12:23 PM   #43
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
You mean like the two-inch fresh water feeder line that broke and was geysering water 15 feet into the air on the a weekend? And this in a marina with a well-water supply. Think there was a bit of stress on the well pump?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonfish View Post
So many good replies in this thread. If you end up dealing with a marina that indicates they "don't like live aboards" (but do not have a policy prohibiting them), send them this article:

https://48north.com/news/theres-a-fire-in-the-marina/

As live aboards, we have saved boats in the marina during storms in the middle of the night, reported fuel spills, continuous running bilge pumps, electrical outages, etc. Some of which would have gone unchecked until the next day with potentially disastrous consequences. They like us around here!
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 12:26 PM   #44
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Geez, we have about 10 live aboards in our marina. None are a problem and the marina values our presence for reasons amply stated by others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Unfortunately, in my experience, there are just too many liveaboards that are a thorn in the marina managers side to leave a good taste.

Sure, some marinas liveaboards are welcome, but my close association with more than a few marina managers suggest most boaters are a PIA, liveabords even more so.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 09:46 AM   #45
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
At one time, this marina had a policy indicating they can only stay 5 days.
Very easy to satisfy. At least once a week, take the boat out and cruise a little. Stay in an anchorage, mooring field or marina while you're visiting another town. After all, isn't this why we bought boats?

This is inline with my suggestion to "Use the Boat". We're rarely ever in the dock for more than 5 consecutive nights, unless weather isn't working in our favor.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 09:52 AM   #46
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Not really for a lot of liveaboards I know and me....

Workers on a 2 week or more on/off schedule.

People who cruise for months but then come back and travel for weeks or repair/replenish.

People who snowbird.

probably many more reasonable reasons than an arbitrary 5 day or whatever limitation.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 09:58 AM   #47
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Quote:
Not really for a lot of people....

Workers on a 2 week or more on/off schedule.
The 5 day consecutive limit would pose and issue for these folks.

Quote:
People who cruise for months but then come back and travel for weeks or repair/replenish.

People who snowbird.
For these folks if they are travelling or snowbirding, they are no longer 'live aboards' in the marina. If the boat is gone (cruising) it satisfies the requirement. If they are travelling away from the boat they are not living aboard in the marina.

However, I agree, there are some people that will want to live on the boat for months at a time and can't or don't want to move the boat.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 11:57 AM   #48
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Marinas aren't going to toss you on day 6. They will be attentive when you first arrive at how often you use the boat or stay elsewhere, but once you've proven yourself to be a good tenant, they will know you use the boat frequently and maintain it so it's always usable, they'll know you pump out weekly, and you buy fuel regularly. They'll know you tip the dockhands generously and that you're courteous to other boaters. Or they'll know the opposite to all the above.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 12:39 PM   #49
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
The 5 day consecutive limit would pose and issue for these folks.

For these folks if they are travelling or snowbirding, they are no longer 'live aboards' in the marina. If the boat is gone (cruising) it satisfies the requirement. If they are travelling away from the boat they are not living aboard in the marina. Can't say my experiences are universal but I know alternatives aren't either.

However, I agree, there are some people that will want to live on the boat for months at a time and can't or don't want to move the boat.

Not where I come from...all my examples apply to rental agreements that would prohibit you from staying aboard for more than their "days limit" and affect your long term lease....as a 3 time liveaboard in FL, MD and NJ....I checked around a lot and talked to plenty more.

Now some places like Ft Pierce City Marina consider 2 types of liveaboards...transient/seasonal and year round.

Right now they have met their limit of annual liveaboards but will still take transients like me for up to 6 months. Whether the boat cruises or not doesn't matter, just how many days a month you stay aboard. Leaving for the day or weekend doesn't reset the clock.
Old 08-03-2020, 06:56 PM   #50

City: Anchor Pointe, Ohio
Vessel Name: Sea Moose
Vessel Model: 1976 34' D/C Taiwanese Trawler
At our marina on the Great Lakes, we love liveaboards and do not charge extra. I believe this is true at most seasonal marinas where boats are hauled for the winter.

This tells me the smart money is to run up and down the East Coast every season, and I know a lot of folks here do just that.
SeaMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 07:30 PM   #51
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaMoose View Post
At our marina on the Great Lakes, we love liveaboards and do not charge extra. I believe this is true at most seasonal marinas where boats are hauled for the winter.

This tells me the smart money is to run up and down the East Coast every season, and I know a lot of folks here do just that.
I have been told, Michigan have LOTS of free pump out facilities. No one has an excuse for pumping out the sanitary tank overboard.
Old 08-03-2020, 10:28 PM   #52
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
I would not moor at a marina that doesn't allow livaboard. Liveaboards provide fire protection, security and many other tasks around their "neighborhood".

The municipal marinas around the PNW have livaboard rules that are presented at the time of sign up and enforced. Percentages vary but 10% is typical,especially over DNR water. I have not observed too many Clampetts at the municipal marinas. Moorage fees are higher at the municiple marinas and usually a waiting list so tenants are more responsible.

Private marinas are all over the map. There are some that look like a blue tarp jamboree, others, pristine. A lot depends on location and cost.

Our Yacht Club allows 10% livaboards with strict livaboard rules. We have around 10 to 20 presently. They are required to be on the Emergency Action Committee and receive emergency training. The livaboard EAC have been first responders to fires and sinkings, securing loose boats and boathouses during storms and many other tasks that the rest of the membership appreciate.

The livaboards are members and take pride in the appearance of the area around them. The club has it's own pump out and we even have a portable pump out cart with a holding tank that can be wheeled between boat and pump out for emptying. We recently built a day room with showers and laundry.

The club recently evicted two long time livaboard members for not adhering to the rules. Several warnings to remediate their violations were ignored.
syjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 02:31 AM   #53
Veteran Member

City: Anacortes
We have a live aboard next to us and we love it! He keeps a clean boat and uses it. I am super happy to have someone next to my boat 24 x 7
SalishSeaCHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 12:51 PM   #54

City: Anchor Pointe, Ohio
Vessel Name: Sea Moose
Vessel Model: 1976 34' D/C Taiwanese Trawler
Great Lakes Pump Outs

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
I have been told, Michigan have LOTS of free pump out facilities. No one has an excuse for pumping out the sanitary tank overboard.
You're correct Dan, and it's the same in Ohio along the Lake Erie shoreline.
SeaMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 08:27 AM   #55
Veteran Member

City: Western Massachusetts
When I saw this topic, I had to chime in
My sister and brother in law had a real nice cruiser docked on the Ct. shore.
Very nice marina and very nice people. My wife and I and our 12 year old son were invited to spend the weekend, kind a like a camp over. A quiet marina, with few people coming and going. We had no intention of starting this yacht up and cruising.
Two boats over was a boat that looked like it was a permanent fixture to the docks. Seaweed on the lines in the water, stuff like that.
After one night on the boat, I got up to fix a cup of joe, when I got this smell.
This old woman dumped a pan of something off the bow of her boat. The liquid left a ring/stain like substance floating on the surface. As I got my coffee, settled into a lawn chair on the stern, the faint smell of ... guess what... came by in the breeze. A call to the office in the marina, brought swift action, I mean like a swat team. Next morning she was gone.
On the other hand, three slips over on the other side, this guy was a neat freak. Constantly sweeping, wiping, polishing... you name it, this guy had a cleaning rag for it.
I walked by one afternoon, motioned .. "hello", and in return we struck up a nice conversation. I got invited on his boat .. a beauty, and the first thing he says is .. " please remove your shoes." The salon was really nice and had that smell of an ER. Antiseptic and Windex smells all over the place. When I left and turned to thank the guy for his hospitality, he had a towel wiping off the seat and back of the chair I sat in. Hmmmmm ... I should've introduced the guy to the lady with the pan in the morning. But, being so far downwind from her, I guess he never noticed.
So, like someone else already mentioned, it depends on the people. Heck, when we moved into our first apartment, a kid in the apartment above us was in some sort of marching band, or school, and was constantly perfecting his talents (lack there of) on the @#$! trombone.
john-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 02:54 PM   #56

City: Rockland
Vessel Name: Pale Moon
Vessel Model: Carver 3607
Now for my first post...I bought a Carver 3607 so that I could live aboard it during the summer here in Maine where I am a nurse at a coastal hospital. I apparently got lucky because I was able to get a slip my first year as a boat owner. The reason I got lucky was due to Covid 19. The decreased transient traffic allowed the marina to rent me slip for the season. I keep my boat looking as clean as it can be for a well used 1985. It smells of neither toilet nor Pine-sol. I don't bug my neighbors, I pay my marina bills and I follow the rules. I take the boat out to the various Islands of PenBay every weekend. After getting my wife to "love" the boat I was compelled to ask about next year. I was told that I would be put on a list for next year but that a second year on the dock is unlikely. I am on several marina's "wait lists" hoping to get lucky once again. I won't have an answer from any until at least March. I really do not want to take a dinghy out to a mooring at 11pm 5 nights a week. Please wish me luck...
Phatboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 03:02 PM   #57
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by john-o View Post
When I saw this topic, I had to chime in
My sister and brother in law had a real nice cruiser docked on the Ct. shore.
Very nice marina and very nice people. My wife and I and our 12 year old son were invited to spend the weekend, kind a like a camp over. A quiet marina, with few people coming and going. We had no intention of starting this yacht up and cruising.
Two boats over was a boat that looked like it was a permanent fixture to the docks. Seaweed on the lines in the water, stuff like that.
After one night on the boat, I got up to fix a cup of joe, when I got this smell.
This old woman dumped a pan of something off the bow of her boat. The liquid left a ring/stain like substance floating on the surface. As I got my coffee, settled into a lawn chair on the stern, the faint smell of ... guess what... came by in the breeze. A call to the office in the marina, brought swift action, I mean like a swat team. Next morning she was gone.
On the other hand, three slips over on the other side, this guy was a neat freak. Constantly sweeping, wiping, polishing... you name it, this guy had a cleaning rag for it.
I walked by one afternoon, motioned .. "hello", and in return we struck up a nice conversation. I got invited on his boat .. a beauty, and the first thing he says is .. " please remove your shoes." The salon was really nice and had that smell of an ER. Antiseptic and Windex smells all over the place. When I left and turned to thank the guy for his hospitality, he had a towel wiping off the seat and back of the chair I sat in. Hmmmmm ... I should've introduced the guy to the lady with the pan in the morning. But, being so far downwind from her, I guess he never noticed.
So, like someone else already mentioned, it depends on the people. Heck, when we moved into our first apartment, a kid in the apartment above us was in some sort of marching band, or school, and was constantly perfecting his talents (lack there of) on the @#$! trombone.

Wouldn't surprise me one bit though the guy with the cleaning fetish was adding more harmful substances to the environment than the lady with some grease and a digested meal. Maybe not, but maybe yes.

Plus if it was cooking oil or grease...most people washing dishes pour it down the sink and it comes out the thruhull and leaves the same ring only cut illegally by soap.

Not that the lady was right but I have learned that the world is not black and white unless one is perfect...who can judge accordingly.
Old 09-15-2020, 05:53 AM   #58
Veteran Member

City: Western Massachusetts
Phatboat- Does this marina do this kind of thing as a normal course of business? When you originally paid for the slip, did they tell you in advance that the following year(s) were not a continuation of the current year unless certain things were in place?
psneeld- I was informed later that what she had dumped was urine. I just happened to be the one that noticed her. so early in the morning. If I hadn't been up so early, who knows. Kind of strange that no one noticed this, long before me. Is this
some of the things that live a boards have to deal with, in small marina?
john-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 06:14 AM   #59
Guru

Glad my urine never leaves a ring and stain on the water...no wonder they booter her....

Marinas are just another cross section of society in many ways.

Big marinas too.
Old 09-15-2020, 06:22 AM   #60
Guru

Quote:
Glad my urine never leaves a ring and stain on the water...no wonder they booter her....

Marinas are just another cross section of society in many ways.

Big marinas too.
Still better than an RV or trailer park, IMO