Life at Marina La Paz

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ksanders

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
DOS PECES
Vessel Make
BAYLINER 4788
Life in Marina De La Paz means some times you go out to the islands and anchor at a beautiful beach.

Other times you just sit at the dock and and enjoy the fantastic weather, water and scenery.

I got lucky. Dos Peces was assigned the very end slip in the harbor. That means I only have a neighbor on one side and have a huge fairway all to myself.

I'm even thinking about getting a table at Home Depot and maybe a umbrella for hot days

Today it's sunny and between 75 and 80 degrees. There is a slight breeze. A perfect day.

Attachments

• A7F651BE-A623-44D3-84FC-7460082BBA16.jpg
    A7F651BE-A623-44D3-84FC-7460082BBA16.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 56
  • F68101D3-04A4-4763-BDDF-CF467E02E927.jpg
    F68101D3-04A4-4763-BDDF-CF467E02E927.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 60
  • C8E30BE8-26D6-46F9-9199-B0A60AEF6025.jpg
    C8E30BE8-26D6-46F9-9199-B0A60AEF6025.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 48
  • 9977BC9C-A5A0-4206-A2B7-FEF5154C1A95.jpg
    9977BC9C-A5A0-4206-A2B7-FEF5154C1A95.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 54
You are a lucky dog!

Guess what? We may have the slip to your starboard flank this summer/fall. Stay tuned for that! Hope it doesn't run you off.

You are a lucky dog!

Guess what? We may have the slip to your starboard flank this summer/fall. Stay tuned for that! Hope it doesn't run you off.

perfect we really enjoyed margaritas and would love having you as neighbors!!!!

Attachments

• 58D1376C-DB54-418D-AE77-28F85AF30D79.jpg
    58D1376C-DB54-418D-AE77-28F85AF30D79.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Seems like you have life figured out pretty well.

:thumb:

Nice, can't wait to get down ourselves. Also, love that canoe stern trawler in the second photo.

Looks like a Del Norte is coming to visit La Paz.

We got steady 30 knots gusting to near 40 in Santa Rosalia marina today.

We are neighbors! I didn't make the TrawlerForum connection until just now. We're parked next to Tully.

We are neighbors! I didn't make the TrawlerForum connection until just now. We're parked next to Tully.

Yesssss!!!

Come over for Margarita's some evening!

Are you here permanently???

Attachments

• 10B7AA3E-3DDF-4F44-A1A1-BCCCCB52CE7D.jpg
    10B7AA3E-3DDF-4F44-A1A1-BCCCCB52CE7D.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 43
Looks like a Del Norte is coming to visit La Paz.

We got steady 30 knots gusting to near 40 in Santa Rosalia marina today.

In the harbor right now we're measuring an average of 12 with gusts to 22

The sunrises are just as dramatic as the sunsets in La Paz. Something nice to look at over your first cup of coffee.

Attachments

• 7E570FBA-3572-4DC3-B3D2-EB1E4A847DCB.jpg
    7E570FBA-3572-4DC3-B3D2-EB1E4A847DCB.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 28
Now just imagine you are there in La Paz channel in 1973, no docks, no services and only about a dozen yachts swinging at anchor as the tide changes. No Starlink, no cell phones, no GPS, no watermakers, most boats only have an Icebox (we were always in demand because we had a refer with ice cubes for happy hour). La Paz was a sleeping small town. I know it's neat now, but "ya shudda been there in the 'ol Days!" Enjoy it while it lasts, you won't recognize it in another 45 years!

I honed my sextant skills sitting at anchor in La Paz. At first some of my fixes would put me in the middle of Baja, but I slowly got better. Finally settled on doing noon sun shots and DR in between. We were happy to be within a 1 mile radius.

Now just imagine you are there in La Paz channel in 1973, no docks, no services and only about a dozen yachts swinging at anchor as the tide changes. No Starlink, no cell phones, no GPS, no watermakers, most boats only have an Icebox (we were always in demand because we had a refer with ice cubes for happy hour). La Paz was a sleeping small town. I know it's neat now, but "ya shudda been there in the 'ol Days!" Enjoy it while it lasts, you won't recognize it in another 45 years!

there are still many such places in the sea of Cortez

Ah, the contrast. At our marina you can still crack an egg on the surface of the water.

there are still many such places in the sea of Cortez

Oh so true. Mulege, Santa Rosalia and LA Bay are still 20 years behind the Cabo, East Cape, La Pz area. The northers can be brisk and strong there but some fantastic cruising grounds.

This is how the sunset tonight progressed. These photos are unedited :)

Attachments

• B9BEA451-4EF6-48E2-82F5-6875F636D471.jpg
    B9BEA451-4EF6-48E2-82F5-6875F636D471.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 5E3AB56C-30DC-4A92-88ED-4984BD263F40.jpg
    5E3AB56C-30DC-4A92-88ED-4984BD263F40.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 689F9496-BD5B-4962-A767-7A387D5AF420.jpg
    689F9496-BD5B-4962-A767-7A387D5AF420.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 30
I am a few days cruise north of La Paz at marina Puerto Escondido located 24 miles south of Lorteo. Great island cruising here with beautiful anchorages close by. Sierra Gigante mountain vistas. Easy access to airport with five flights a week to LAX and PHX. Cost effective mooring ball option. Sumner haul out. Tienda, restaurant and bar at marina. Potable artesian water.

Last edited:
I am a few days cruise north of La Paz at marina Puerto Escondido located 24 miles south of Lorteo. Great island cruising here with beautiful anchorages close by. Sierra Gigante mountain vistas. Easy access to airport with five flights a week to LAX and PHX. Cost effective mooring ball option. Sumner haul out. Tienda, restaurant and bar at marina. Potable artesian water.

Forgot about Escondido. Do they still have the cruising permit for the Islands there?

Forgot about Escondido. Do they still have the cruising permit for the Islands there?
Yes. It's called a Pasaporte de la Conservacion. We call it the anchor permit. One per person on board in the islands. Daily, weekly, monthly or annual. An annual is 2000 pesos. We got ours in La Paz, office near the marina.

Yes. It's called a Pasaporte de la Conservacion. We call it the anchor permit. One per person on board in the islands. Daily, weekly, monthly or annual. An annual is 2000 pesos. We got ours in La Paz, office near the marina.

That's part of the beauty and Bain of Mexico. Have to go to La Paz for permit, same for Ham lic. Had same issues in Mulege with fishing permits which they were checking via pangas. They can make trying to be legal so difficult. One year they had a typo from Mex City instead of $150/yr it read to charge $150/day for lic. Official in Baja would not question anything from Mex City so they just told everyone not to get the permit. Gotta love it, It's Mexico! I hope they are getting better and using the internet more.

Something nice to look at over your first cup of coffee.

Hey, Kevin,
Got a book especially for you. A murder mystery set in the fictional Alaskan village of Port Mettier; "rhymes with shittier." :D Just started, but so far a pretty amusing read. I got it from my public library, but it is available as an e-book for you ex-pats.

Attachments

• Whittier.jpg
    Whittier.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Hey, Kevin,
Got a book especially for you. A murder mystery set in the fictional Alaskan village of Port Mettier; "rhymes with shittier." :D Just started, but so far a pretty amusing read. I got it from my public library, but it is available as an e-book for you ex-pats.

I'll have to look that one up, Thanks!!!!!

I'll have to look that one up, Thanks!!!!!

Thought of you right away.:socool: I suspect kthoennes might identify also. I remember attending his wedding at the Portage Glacier.

Last edited:
Does anybody sing a Johnny Horton song in the book? And the phrase "break-up" has nothing to do with romantic relationships. (We're flying up for a wedding this summer. I'm trying to decide if I'm still able to hike Crow Pass (over two days) or if my sons will need to call a helicopter for me.)

City Under One Roof has just been added to the audio book list for Seattle to Southeast Alaska in 2024. Thanks.

Does anybody sing a Johnny Horton song in the book?

No, of course not, but it is strongly reminiscent of Mr. Whitekeys singing, "Nothing could be shittier than to find yourself in Whittier in the moorrning"

City Under One Roof has just been added to the audio book list for Seattle to Southeast Alaska in 2024. Thanks.

For those who are not in on the joke, IIRC, ksanders actually lived and worked in Whittier, "the town where everyone lives in the same house."

Last edited:
That's part of the beauty and Bain of Mexico. Have to go to La Paz for permit, same for Ham lic. Had same issues in Mulege with fishing permits which they were checking via pangas. They can make trying to be legal so difficult. One year they had a typo from Mex City instead of $150/yr it read to charge $150/day for lic. Official in Baja would not question anything from Mex City so they just told everyone not to get the permit. Gotta love it, It's Mexico! I hope they are getting better and using the internet more.

Both permits can be purchased online now.

On the classic MX front, we have a slip at Marina Fonatur in La Paz which is a government owned marina. They were recently inspected by SEMAR so started enforcing the 10 peso (50 cents) per bag of garbage rule. Doesn't matter how big or small... still 10 pesos. Now we look like Santa on Christmas morning when we toss trash.

Rules in Mexico are interesting. Enforcement comes and goes. Ensenada is a fairly large bay. There is a rule that whenever you move a boat, you need to inform Trafico Maritimo. As of yesterday its being enforced so when I move Weebles from Cruiseport Marina to the yard in the morning, I request permission on VHF channel 14. Seemed a bit odd, but in reality, no different than when I drove a dinner cruise boat on SF Bay - was required to check in with VTS not just departing, but at a couple points along the route. Wonder if that's still required given advances in radar, tracking, AIS, etc?

Peter

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom