Old 04-19-2021, 03:13 PM   #21

City: Pensacola
Vessel Name: Thataway
Vessel Model: C Dory 25, pilot house trailerable cruiser
Another option is to build one in under a seat. I put a 12 cu foot freezer under a settee in a lower salon in a pilot house sailboat. I first put in vapor barrier, then l layer of foil. Next blocks of my 6" thick closed cell foam insulation, pour in/spray in foam to fill any cracks. The top had double gaskets--one at the level of the bottom of the settee top, the other at the level of the inner fiberglassed compartment. I built the fiberglass tub in place. The freezer (and refer) were run off a dual compressor eutectic holding plate (Dole galvanized plates). About 2 hours a day run time, of either a Sanyo compressor off the main engine, or a York compressor off a 110V AC motor. We had the refrigerator running on the same system--again about 12 cu feet.
thataway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 03:39 PM   #22
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltrider1 View Post
Sea Freeze out of Bellingham, Wa is the only way I would go. I have been through 3 boats in the last 30 years but only one Sub zero 12v freezer all this time(it has followed me from boat to boat). The boat has lost power but I have never lost any food in the Sea Freeze.

Sea Freeze of America - Custom Marine Refrigeration, Deck Freezers, Cold Plates
Ditto on Sea Freeze in Bham. They built a custom 12 volt only, 6 cu ft freezer to fit in a cabinet, which turned out great. Has 4" walls and uses little power. I also had them convert a Kenmore 12 cu ft household AC refer to 12 volt only which also turned out well and reduced battery usage dramatically . Highly recommended.
Old 04-19-2021, 04:39 PM   #23

City: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill.kimbell View Post
100 daily amp-hours? Meaning average 4.1 amp draw over 24 hours? Many of us are looking to solar to enable fridge/freezer. This seems in the range of a decent solar panel array. Thanks.
Both the refrigerator and the freezer each drew about 100 amps per day. But, we had a 1,000 watt solar array on the roof of MOJO (ten 100 watt panels). It would generate about 300 amps per day even at Rhode Island latitudes. Rarely ran the generator!
MOJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 06:21 PM   #24
Veteran Member

City: Canby
Vessel Name: MV SeaStar & MV Southern Star
Vessel Model: 1969 DeFever-OBC 50' wood & 1970 DeFever-Kettenburg 52' wood
We have an inexpensive chest freezer from Home Depot. Cools down quickly and holds well. We plug it in when on shore power or running the generator, or can use the inverter if needed. Only takes a couple hours a day to keep it below freezing. It's on the bridge in the sun so we do have a cover made from a reflective "space blanket" that slips over the top. DeFever Forum has a doc that details how to retrofit a household freezer for a marine environment.
SeaStarDF50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 08:01 PM   #25

City: Key Largo
Vessel Name: Dolphin
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 355T
Deep freezer

We have an Expedition. This link will take you to it. Very energy economical.

https://www.snomasterusa.com/product...fridgefreezer/

We run it dc 100%. We have 2190W of solar power with 600aH lithium batteries.
TomandMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 08:39 PM   #26
Veteran Member

City: Manly qld
Best thing to do and I have well and truly proved this being a long term long range cruiser is if possible buy 2 domestic freezers one chest one draw type for ease if access chest is for long term large items run on a inverter we are lucky having a 8kva 240volt 48 volt victron Quattro seamless operation 24/7 for years now leave both running either making ice for eskys or simply reduce there volume with empty poly boxes I prefer freezing plastic 2 litre coke bottles for eskys, and the added bonus is icy cold water, I have run this system 24/7 365 for over 5 years now and it has been flawless and I have the redundancy of 2 freezers side by side and my solar system runs freezers and fridges and ice maker's when not living onboard , I never turn them off.
Attached Thumbnails
F0388819-4FC3-4690-B423-9B85D6C7BCDD.jpg   928336D9-7520-4F24-8A6F-5660245B4668.jpg   AF854A5F-E8C9-4465-B0EF-B205FEE1288F.jpg   AD4B440D-DB41-4067-894B-7EBB55FF320F.jpg   72F6BCFF-E06D-4DCD-9A5A-913FF5338616.jpg  

C4674A72-6115-4C92-8CA6-D287973E3CED.jpg   72E68FBC-1500-4AD1-A602-B920EB09F723.jpg   B74F9986-F1EE-4C9D-825A-BCA635EFE67C.jpg   D3467ABD-C775-4AFD-B625-C5EE369801D8.jpg  
Mobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 08:48 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
I have a chest freezer you see every day at lowes or home depot on the boat.

Whirlpool I think.

Had it for half a decade and paid around $250 for it.

It sits up on the fly bridge, winter and summer.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/2R02#live/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 09:31 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Agree all the other stuff is over priced camping stuff, my big freezers draw like 120watts when fully loaded and cycle on and off bugger all when cycled off they are consuming zero ......only way to go IMHO if you don’t have space make some because it will be worth every square inch
Old 04-22-2021, 10:28 AM   #29

City: Puget Sound
Vessel Name: Muirgen
Vessel Model: Beebe passagemaker 50
Settee Freezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thataway View Post
Another option is to build one in under a seat. I put a 12 cu foot freezer under a settee in a lower salon in a pilot house sailboat. I first put in vapor barrier, then l layer of foil. Next blocks of my 6" thick closed cell foam insulation, pour in/spray in foam to fill any cracks. The top had double gaskets--one at the level of the bottom of the settee top, the other at the level of the inner fiberglassed compartment. I built the fiberglass tub in place. The freezer (and refer) were run off a dual compressor eutectic holding plate (Dole galvanized plates). About 2 hours a day run time, of either a Sanyo compressor off the main engine, or a York compressor off a 110V AC motor. We had the refrigerator running on the same system--again about 12 cu feet.
So glad you told about the freezer under the settee. We are planning on getting another freezer to have the room when we travel since we will be living on the boat full time. This was one of our thoughts to put it under the settee. There used to be one there, but the previous owner said they had trouble with mold on the cushions. Have you had any trouble with that? Thanks
Old 04-22-2021, 10:30 AM   #30
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muirgen Afloat View Post
So glad you told about the freezer under the settee. We are planning on getting another freezer to have the room when we travel since we will be living on the boat full time. This was one of our thoughts to put it under the settee. There used to be one there, but the previous owner said they had trouble with mold on the cushions. Have you had any trouble with that? Thanks

Mold should only be an issue if you're getting condensation. If everything is insulated well enough to avoid condensation, then there shouldn't be a mold problem. Making sure there's a little bit of ventilation in there somewhere will help too.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 07:56 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Update have just replaced the Engel on the Fly readying the boat to put her on the market