Old 01-13-2022, 12:15 PM   #1
Guru

City: Madeira Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Induction, cast iron and pancakes

The boat next to me has an induction burner. He uses cast iron pans. His pancakes always come out with a blackened circle and uncooked edges. So, as a pancake maker of long years I went over to his boat to prove it can be done. Ha. Mine were awful!

So, is there a secret for browned pancakes?

My other thought was for him to purchase one of those waffle makers with the pancake burner inserts that swap into the unit. Not sure how much galley space he has available though...

Does anyone have advice? Thanks.
janice142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 01:43 PM   #2

City: All over
Vessel Name: Chapter II
Vessel Model: 1972 42 foot Alloy Mfg
Put the cast iron on a lower temp for a longer time, let the heat i the pan fully radiate up the side of the pan before you add anything to the pan to cook, just because you get the center of the pan hot almost instantly that doesn’t mean that the heat has transferred out to the edges or up the sides of the pan and that is probably your problem.
Jmarsh203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 02:33 PM   #3
Guru

City: Malmö
Vessel Name: ABsolutely FABulous
Vessel Model: Greenline 33 Hybrid (2010)
We make wonderful crepes and many other things on our induction cooktop using a Mauviel teflon crepe pan. Works great (but don't get the copper versions - they won't work on induction). I admit, we've never tried it with Aunt Jemima, but if it can do delicate crepes without burning, I think it would manage pancakes just fine!

https://www.amazon.com/Mauviel-8620-.../dp/B00WTF47DA
Currently in: Vibo Valentia (Calabria), ITALY
ScottC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 08:51 PM   #4
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Soo Valley
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
I have never thought to cook pancakes in a cast iron frypan.
Maybe that is the problem, try another type of pan.
Old 01-13-2022, 09:45 PM   #5
Guru

City: Dewatto
Vessel Name: CHiTON
Vessel Model: Tung Hwa Clipper 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmarsh203 View Post
Put the cast iron on a lower temp for a longer time, let the heat i the pan fully radiate up the side of the pan before you add anything to the pan to cook, just because you get the center of the pan hot almost instantly that doesn’t mean that the heat has transferred out to the edges or up the sides of the pan and that is probably your problem.
That's it. The induction element is usually about 5 inches that heats the center of the pan almost instantly. If you want to cook evenly in a larger pan, you have to wait for the heat to migrate out from the center.

Carbon steel pans work just fine at 1/5th the weight of cast iron (and 1/5th the cost of fancy pans.)

Pancakes are fine, but I'm going upscale with English muffins. Good for breakfast and makes a nice sandwich for lunch.
Old 01-19-2022, 05:15 PM   #6
Veteran Member

City: Mystic, CT
Vessel Name: Miss Maggie
Vessel Model: 1976 Hatteras 58 LRC
My induction cook top will only work with pans designed for induction cook tops. I don't "think" cast iron is induction compatible... at least on my cooktop.
JD5652 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 09:36 PM   #7

City: Rock Hall Md
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottC View Post
We make wonderful crepes and many other things on our induction cooktop using a Mauviel teflon crepe pan. Works great (but don't get the copper versions - they won't work on induction). I admit, we've never tried it with Aunt Jemima, but if it can do delicate crepes without burning, I think it would manage pancakes just fine!

https://www.amazon.com/Mauviel-8620-.../dp/B00WTF47DA
A visit to your market will reveal that sadly poor Aunt Jemima has been erased and another woke corporate genius has thrown away decades of good will, marketing expense and customer loyalty. RIP dear Auntie. Generations have trusted you. I've switched to Krust eez and Log Cabin.
Njlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 09:39 PM   #8
Guru

City: Currently hiding out in Smith, NV, USA
I feel so enlightened now that I have had the latest alert posted here about the decline of western white civilization.
Alaskaflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 02:30 PM   #9
Guru

City: Madeira Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Thanks to the input Gents. The neighbor did end up purchasing a fancy waffle maker with removable plates. The unit also comes with inserts for pancakes.

It works perfectly. As an Eggo waffle in the toaster I'm not certain I personally prefer the frozen ones though I've not had any for a very long time -- limited freezer space. Belgium waffles (Hungry Jack brand) are rather sweet in my opinion.

As the boat owner is pleased, I'm glad for him. He/we have not tried pancakes yet in this fancy unit. Cleanup is a breeze -- removable plates makes a world of difference.

Anyway, thank you for the ideas, suggestions and helpful advice. It's appreciated. J.
Old 01-20-2022, 04:08 PM   #10

City: louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskaflyer View Post
I feel so enlightened now that I have had the latest alert posted here about the decline of western white civilization.
The story of "Aunt Jemima"/ history of the brand will put the post you find so enlightening in a different context. The family may feel a little slighted by the 'woke' movement.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming....
rardoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 06:16 PM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rardoin View Post
The story of "Aunt Jemima"/ history of the brand will put the post you find so enlightening in a different context. The family may feel a little slighted by the 'woke' movement.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming....
What about it. Since 1889 that pancake mix was sold so it must have been widely accepted. But now the new woke want to change history. The descendants of those live persons who represented the brand opposed the change. What else do you want changed that many of us grew up with and never thought once we were being racist.
Old 01-20-2022, 06:40 PM   #12
Guru

City: Boston Area
From Wikipedia:
The term "Aunt Jemima" is sometimes used colloquially as a female version of the derogatory epithet "Uncle Tom" or "Rastus". In this context, the slang term "Aunt Jemima" falls within the "mammy archetype" and refers to a friendly black woman who is perceived as obsequiously servile or acting in, or protective of, the interests of whites.

If being more conscious of derogatory racial terms is being "woke", then I'm glad PepsiCo woke up.
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 06:54 PM   #13
Guru

Welcome to Wikipedia,
the free encyclopedia that anyone can edit.

^^^^^ The new authority source of the woke.
Old 01-20-2022, 08:48 PM   #14
Guru

City: Boston Area
From CNN:
the Aunt Jemima logo is based on a "'mammy,' a devoted and submissive servant who eagerly nurtured the children of her white master and mistress while neglecting her own.

From The Associated Press:
Aunt Jemima was seen as a “mammy” character, a racial stereotype of a slave happy to please her white masters

From the New York Times:
outgrowth of Old South plantation nostalgia and romance grounded in an idea about the ‘mammy,’ a devoted and submissive servant.

From Quaker Oats:
“We recognize Aunt Jemima’s origins are based on a racial stereotype," Kristin Kroepfl, vice president and chief marketing officer of Quaker Foods North America

From The Chicago Tribune:
The smiling Aunt Jemima logo was inspired by the 19th century “mammy” minstrel character, a Black woman content to serve her white masters

From Encyclopedia.com:
From the beginning, many African Americans found the image of the fat, smiling Aunt Jemima with a bandanna on her head to be an insulting glorification of slavery.
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 09:15 PM   #15
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD5652 View Post
My induction cook top will only work with pans designed for induction cook tops. I don't "think" cast iron is induction compatible... at least on my cooktop.
Induction does work with cast iron.

L
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 09:28 PM   #16
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
Induction does work with cast iron.
ditto

I'm a terrible cook, but induction made me better. I mostly use cast iron and can do pancakes fine. Some cast iron pans have a fluted bottom for gas flame cooking and doesn't work as well for induction.

You can also buy a disk that transfers heat from the induction to any pan type.
I have a diesel stove and usually cook pancakes directly on the stove top.
Lepke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 09:56 PM   #17
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
Cast iron doesn't conduct heat all that well, so if the heat source is smaller than the pan, it takes a while to get it all good and hot. But it's great for pancakes, as it holds heat well. So even without a super powerful stove turned up to 11 it won't lose much temperature when you put the pancake batter in.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 09:16 PM   #18
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Induction is not a heat source but a magnetic field source that induce current in your pan that in return create heat when current flows in a resistive conductor. So cast iron is very good for induction as magnetic but also resistive. This is also why copper is not as it is a very good conductor so very less resistive so produce very little heat.

L
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 10:05 PM   #19
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Maybe we need a "Boat Cookery" Section.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 02:26 PM   #20
Veteran Member

City: Sitka
Vessel Name: Sea Haven
Vessel Model: 1982 PT41 Trawler
As with all types of electric cookers the pan must be the same size as the burner for even heat.
akflyrod2 is offline   Reply With Quote