If you have an old boat;how was your first year aboard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well it says old Dan,

You mean you’re not 80 yet?

Well it says old Dan,

You mean you’re not 80 yet?

This year, I become 75 so there is hope.
Of course if I die on board and remain undiscovered for a week, you might want to aim the boat to the east, lighting it on fire before you leave the boat. LOL

When I cant get from the dock to the boat and back. SMILE
Or maybe when I die or turn 80
Want me to put your name on the list? LOL

I also put new seals on the shaft and rudder stock.

Yes, thanks! Put me on the list!

Do most of you keep accurate records of the costs of boat ownership?

Although I do all work myself, I always do a cost estimate of a project. I then track the costs of each individual repair or upgrade, and compare the budget vs actual.

Then I throw all the receipts is a big envelope and completely forget about them, so I am blissfully unaware of the total cost of running a boat. :)

Although I do all work myself, I always do a cost estimate of a project. I then track the costs of each individual repair or upgrade, and compare the budget vs actual.

Then I throw all the receipts is a big envelope and completely forget about them, so I am blissfully unaware of the total cost of running a boat. :)

AusCan, like a lot of things in life, if you gotta ask the price, chances are you cant afford it.
Once we get beyond the actual price of the boat, the rest will 'nickel-dime' us to death.

I have receipts for all hired work and parts of cost above just a couple bucks. Also have print outs of or official manuals for each item on the boat... as well as the originals for the boat that came with it when brand new [I'm second owner, the first (an Englishman) was fastidious on several levels - he owned this 1977 Tolly for 31 years]. Several folders in my computer have duplicates for most of the print outs and some manuals.

No particular item categorization of jobs completed... other than dated entry into ship's log book. Log is kept up to date; most everything that happened to the boat and/or us aboard the boat is written in that book. My and wife's memory is pretty good too... we can place most items into date line by discussion.

We've a major group of improvements... hoping to get time to accomplish. Life has stood in our way for a couple years. Doubtful, but, maybe this early spring???? Or, late next fall!

We're looking to have fun on her this summer!! :D:D :speed boat:

I have receipts for all hired work and parts of cost above just a couple bucks. Also have print outs of or official manuals for each item on the boat... as well as the originals for the boat that came with it when brand new [I'm second owner, the first (an Englishman) was fastidious on several levels - he owned this 1977 Tolly for 31 years]. Several folders in my computer have duplicates for most of the print outs and some manuals.

No particular item categorization of jobs completed... other than dated entry into ship's log book. Log is kept up to date; most everything that happened to the boat and/or us aboard the boat is written in that book. My and wife's memory is pretty good too... we can place most items into date line by discussion.

We've a major group of improvements... hoping to get time to accomplish. Life has stood in our way for a couple years. Doubtful, but, maybe this early spring???? Or, late next fall!

We're looking to have fun on her this summer!! :D:D :speed boat:

Yup, life is what happens while when we are making plans.
I hope soon you two will be back on the boat, spending money and having fun.

I really don’t want to know how much I spend on the boat, then when my wife asks how much did I spend I don’t have to fib.

I really don’t want to know how much I spend on the boat, then when my wife asks how much did I spend I don’t have to fib.

I dont have a wife and I still dont want to know.

Near two years after initial purchase, anti foul, anodes, solar, new batts, new inverter/charger our extras are as follows.

24v fresh water pump plus a spare $240 total
Re do wiper blades and seals on 2 steering rams $100
Get lug on windlass motor re-soldered $100
24v masthead led bulb plus 5 spares $40

There has been general maintenance/patchwork to boat itself, my labour and and a few hundred in material.

There has also been:
Raw water pump rebuild
Oil, impeller, filters, anodes on genset and main engine but these shouldn't be counted.

This year there will be slip, anti foul and replace at least 1 through hull and replace hardwood sponson/rub rail while on hard.

Regalv chain and anchor
Ongoing side and fore deck repairs.
Remove spa bath and build deck box and foredeck access from Portuguese bridge in its place.
Sand and repaint nonskid and cabin.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom