Old 10-18-2017, 09:41 PM   #21
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
Most yachts are not built as a liveaboard. They're built for weekenders and to be competitive in the market. Most builders only worry about you getting thru warranty. On a liveaboard, you're better off replacing failed appliances with more expensive models made of stainless steel, with heavier wiring and heavy duty components. My boat is a 1942.
Everything wears out, just faster on a boat.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 11:26 PM   #22
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Just remember we pleasure boaters should always be thankful.

Boat breakdowns are 1st world problems!!

Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 07:31 AM   #23

City: Texas
Vessel Model: 37' C&L Double Cabin
I've been part time living aboard for 9ish months in my 78 C&L, the difference is I knew mine was a bucket and spent a month working on it before I moved on. It still has issues to put it nicely. I'm soooo not looking forward to cutting fuel tanks out :-/
Nopistn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 09:51 AM   #24

City: Memphis
Vessel Name: Ivory Lady
Vessel Model: 46 Jefferson
We also have a 30 year old Taiwanese boat. Things break, we (I) fix them. Once you catch up the main items, things get more fun because you can choose what items to fix/upgrade instead of the boat selecting them for you. Hang in there...you're going to get to know your boat very well.
clynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 01:46 PM   #25

City: Anacortes
Vessel Name: Salish Nomad
Vessel Model: American Tug 34
41 year old DeFever Passage Maker. I recently checked the log book, and we have spent 64 days since mid April cruising the PNW.
The only thing that failed was the main engine alternator. We have made a few upgrades/changes to suit us, but no other breakage. We bought the boat in January.
Salish Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 03:44 PM   #26
Veteran Member

City: Virginia Beach
Vessel Name: Ursa Major
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 54
Everything on a boat is broken - you just don’t know it yet. Or that has been my experience we are entering month 5 of our new to us boat and have spent of 23 boat bucks on getting the rudiments working. No sexy chartplotters yet - no glossy reprints just getting systems working and almost all done by the two of us. That’s half the fun 🙂
Sangraal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 05:37 PM   #27
Guru

City: SWFL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Less expensive than airplanes and race horses, so I've heard.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Ft Myers, FL
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 07:07 PM   #28
Veteran Member

City: Chula vista
Vessel Name: Rendezvous
Vessel Model: 1976 37' Californian Aft Cabin
Trust me when I say that these problems aren't restricted to old boats or personal small vessels. Ive spent the last two years essentially living on the newest and most "advanced" ship the USNavy can create and the same problems exist...

VCHT down for weeks at a time and Honeybuckets on the flight deck? yep
Refrigerators down for the count for weeks at a time? yep
Loss of power constantly? oh yeah...
as im writing this the space im in is sitting at 94*f because we have a loss of space cooling in 1/4 of the ship...and these aren't problems. its just life on the water.
Old 11-03-2017, 07:16 PM   #29
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
No need to worry Gordon! Those who do not livaboard are missing a great life and are jealous!

We bought our tub Sept 2013, moved aboard in April 2014. So far we have been to SE Alaska twice and put almost 10K miles on ASD. Things break. This year it was our windlass. But that seems to be the norm in Alaska this year, broke windlasses. It also happened to our friends on Pairadice and on Mr. Fleming's 65ft Venture. There were also a few more...

Hang in there buddy! Its a GREAT life!
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 09:59 PM   #30
OFB
Guru

City: Richmond bc
Vessel Name: Invader no1
Vessel Model: Kishi Boat works
Dream or nightmare. Choices. Gotta get the boat across the strait cause I have to be at work early tomorrow at 4 AM. Lesson one , being on a schedule with the home might not be a good idea.

Putting the coffee maker on a timer for first thing in the morning might not be such a good idea with such things as say a water heater on while on a 15 amp circuit . 3 AM coffee pot turns on lights , heater , water tank , coffee pot and ALARM clock shut off. Wake up late with zero coffee, no hot water for a shower, and f n cold. Yup first 12 hours as a live aboard.

That was 1993 , Give it time it can be a very rewarding life choice with lots of learning curves. Something to keep the blood running.
Attached Thumbnails
1499486445368.jpg  
OFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 10:40 PM   #31

City: Texas
Vessel Model: 37' C&L Double Cabin
Haha OFB, i had a similar experience involving a spacce heater, hot water heater, and a shower.
Nopistn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 06:58 AM   #32
Guru

City: Wickford, RI
Vessel Name: Volans
Vessel Model: 2001 PDQ MV 32
I was all set to add my laundry list from almost 3 years of living aboard but this is my view this morning (and most mornings) that makes it totally worth it.

The list never gets shorter, the items on it just become less and less imperative.
Attached Thumbnails
2017113095064401.jpg  
Gabe n Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 07:17 AM   #33
Veteran Member

City: Titusville,Fl
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: 41' Defever
Thanks to everyone

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. With my rant over and problems simmering down for now, I realized I was just a little overwhelmed. We took a small trip/vacation and all fell into perspective. With the dolphins riding my wake I know I don't want to live on the dirt.
Gordon B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 07:41 AM   #34
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
I've got a List of things to do, on the boat.
I've got a List of things to do, in the condo.
I've got a List of things to do, for the car.

Have you considered, when you accomplish everything on your lists, it's "check out" time?
Work top down, add at the bottom. Just like in the corporate world we all detested and left.
There will come a time when we are forced into 'assisted living' unless we are lucky enough to die in our sleep.
Old 11-30-2017, 07:59 AM   #35
Art
Guru

I have not checked reliability of the following from the web... but, sounds about correct.

Scientific research has been done and although no specific reasons of death were a result, statistics show that 1 out of 8 Americans die in their sleep. Many times people die in their sleep for obvious reasons such as, heart problems, respiratory dysfunction or simply over dosing on pills or alcohol.

Interesting paradox re doctors compared to "people"...

A recent RadioLab podcast, titled "The Bitter End," identified an interesting paradox. When you ask people how they’d like to die, most will say that they want to die quickly, painlessly, and peacefully—preferably in their sleep.

But if you ask them whether they would want various types of interventions were they on the cusp of death and already living a low-quality of life, they typically say “yes,” “yes,” and “can I have some more please.” Blood transfusions, feeding tubes, invasive testing, chemotherapy, dialysis, ventilation, and chest pumping CPR. Most people say “yes.”

But not physicians. Doctors, it turns out, overwhelmingly say “no.” The graph below shows the answers that physicians give when asked if they would want various interventions at the bitter end. The only intervention that doctors overwhelmingly want is pain medication. In no other case do even 20 percent of the physicians say “yes.”
Old 11-30-2017, 08:58 AM   #36
Veteran Member

City: Titusville,Fl
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: 41' Defever
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
I've got a List of things to do, on the boat.
I've got a List of things to do, in the condo.
I've got a List of things to do, for the car.

Have you considered, when you accomplish everything on your lists, it's "check out" time?
Work top down, add at the bottom. Just like in the corporate world we all detested and left.
There will come a time when we are forced into 'assisted living' unless we are lucky enough to die in our sleep.
Great insight.
Gordon B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 09:05 AM   #37

City: Great Lakes
Vessel Name: NONE
Vessel Model: NONE
Holy smoke Art, I think you must be having a seriously grey day, that is really depressing. Someone should do a study of the ratio of people who would prefer to die in their sleep to owning a boat

Since you brought it up however, I think I'm with the yes crowd. When the wife was on life support due to CHF and COPD the hospital handed me a "do not resuscitate order" which I politely declined. She ended up having most all the interventions you listed and more. It was the right call, she may never set foot on a boat again but today she is getting stronger by the day, happy, active and glad to be alive.
Capt Kangeroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 09:26 AM   #38
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Capt Kangeroo, we all wish your wife and you great good fortune. May she steadily improve for one last voyage.
God bless you both.
Old 11-30-2017, 09:44 AM   #39
Guru

City: Great Lakes
Vessel Model: OA 440
I don't mind repairs and maintenance that I can do myself. It's the items where I have to depend on others that I dread. For example, I need (want) to repaint the non-skid on the bow and it should be done inside the storage building. The facility managers frown on owners doing paint work. Understandable because of overspray concerns....but it makes me dependent on them, their schedule, and their quality of workmanship. The problem is compounded because the boat is 1500 miles from the dirt residence.
Rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 09:45 AM   #40
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
Capt Kangeroo, we all wish your wife and you great good fortune. May she steadily improve for one last voyage.
God bless you both.
CK - I 100% agree with and second OD's statement!

Our 94 yr. old matriarch has been saved by interventions several times over the last 10 yrs. Still kicking today and living alone, sharp as a tack [well pretty much - lol] Albeit... with much daily assistance visits from family members and a couple of hourly hired persons. We mostly live in a few minute radius.

No grey days here! Just stating web stats... kinda in answer to previous posts