How big is too big?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Read through quite a few of the replies (not all)... But some things I would think about...

1. Aft Cabin would be a MUST for me and has been on last 2 boats.

2. How tall are you? I am 6'5" so I wanted to NOT be bent over every time I stood up.

3. My last 3 boats were 37', 42' and now 58'... I can single-hand my boat just fine and do quite often, even through the Ballard Locks. I will add, I do have bow/stern thrusters, so that definitely helps.

4. Do you plan on having people out and over night(s)? If so, a 2nd REAL stateroom is very nice (not too many people like sleeping on a V-berth with the "cushion cracks" for very long).

5. Usable deck space and when I say this, I mean all year around. I was never a bimini or enclosure person until I had this boat. Now I love them. Keeps the boat usable/enjoyable even when it's snowing, 20°F or less outside... :)

6. I wouldn't consider anything (for me) less than 44'. Once you get to about the 44'+ range, your beam gets substantially wider giving you a much roomier cabin...

7. Heating/cooling would be something I would take a hard look at. We have 2x reverse cycle heaters and while they "work" I would really like to have the option of a diesel heater (1 of many planned upgrades). Diesel heater, maybe a hydronic heater would be nice so the gen doesn't have to be ran all the time. :)

Good luck on your new adventure! :)

All excellent advice and very useful, especially for my future plans.

When I first started asking questions there were a lot of undecided factors: the pandemic, where I might find a place I liked enough to buy or rent a home, the availability of new and used boats, whether I would live aboard or not, what kind of trips I would do, availability and location of a slip, etc.

Now they have all been pretty much answered.

I did look into buying a more trawler like boat (I fell in love with the Nordhavns) but used boat were just not available or sold immediately and new prices shot up and delivery times as well.

So I am now looking forward to the Ranger, which will be mainly day trips with guests or 1 or 2 week trips on my own. I'll make do.

If I can get my brother out here, maybe we'll tackle a longer trip together. I am more than happy to sleep on a 'sofa', as I do at home more often than not.

I won't be taking 4 people to Alaska.

And when the timing is right to move up to a Nordhavn, or KK, or Helmsman, I now have a very good idea of the size I would want. I should also have a better handle on getting a slip for a larger boat, which is I think a bigger issue than ever going forward.

Being in a month to month rental apartment also gives me all the flexibility to change to living aboard down the road when a larger boat is available.

So it's all good! Now I'm back to how do I deal with the dinghy issue...

Back
Top Bottom