Old 06-20-2014, 10:02 PM   #1
Guru

City: Fort Pierce
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
Hotplates and ovens

I have a sniffer in my bilge piped in solenoid controlled propane range and it has a thermocoupled pilot light system...a true curse. The government has announced pilot lights are history and other lighting systems will be available soon. I have to light a pilot light every time I wish to use the oven if I turn off the gas at the tank because I lose the pilot light. I do not like a pilot light due to the open flame in the boat 24/7 so after using the stove I throw the switch and out goes the pilot light. Here is the question, insofar as the manufactures have not caught up, does any of you out there know of a reasonably priced 2 foot range with electronic ignition in the oven?
I have done a search, I have not removed the stove, (yet) to try to find a way to override the thermocoupled system. I have yet to find an electronic ignition system ...Maybe a spark plug and...well maybe.
Open for suggestions.
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 12:10 AM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
They do exist, as I have recently been advised that when I go to sell my boat, and to do so it will need a new 'gas certificate', our trusty 4 burner, manually lit stove/oven with flame out protection only in the oven, will no longer pass the recent retrospective regulation change which now says every boat stove must have electric start, (i.e. no pilot light), and flame out auto shut-off. So, even tho I have sniffers and we turn off the cylinder with a switched remote solenoid at the cylinder, as you describe, I am going to have to replace the whole cooker, and I am not amused.

It's this damn trend govt agencies have to try and make everything idiot proof, and that's just not possible. They don't seem to give a damn about the cost and inconvenience these retrospective changes cause. The management of waste is another example.
Old 06-21-2014, 01:01 AM   #3
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Flora
Vessel Model: Timber southern cray boat
Must admit have never had a gas oven, mainly because of that same problem.
new gas certificate OK with flame cut outs on burners and sniffers in bilge and under cooker.
Had to get rid of gas hot water due to same regs.
Best cooker is BBQ on aft deck and convection/microwave in galley along with domestic 4 burner (with Wok burner) gas cook top with electric ignition and auto flame out shut off.

Galley is a treat.
Cheers
Benn
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 02:00 AM   #4
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Our Italian made imported "SMEV" brand stove, 3 burners on top, oven which doubles as a grill or toaster, has electronic ignition to all burners, oven incl. Maybe it gets imported there. The "no flame auto propane cut off" satisfies our insurers requirements.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 02:41 AM   #5
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
You could think long and hard about whether you really need an oven. Here in Qld they just make the whole cabin hot so aren't something you want to use if there is an alternative.

I had the pilot light in oven issue, which drove me nuts. When the solenoid switch was turned on you had to light the pilot light in the oven or the sniffer would detect the gas within a couple of minutes and trigger the solenoid to turn off. So the pilot light made it a hassle to use the cooktop.

I decided I did not need an oven in the galley, quite happy to use the BBQ up on the bot deck for roasts, pizza as well as conventional BBQ use. So out came the cooktop/oven combo, replaced with an Eno 3 burner cooktop. The space liberated by removing the oven became two deep drawers.

I had to do that after getting back to Oz as I needed a gas certificate for Qld rego. That process was a bit painfull as the brand new solenoid and regulator I installed in the US did not have an Australian Standard number and both had to be replaced. Fortunately, when we rebuilt the gas locker to be compliant and I ran new gas line to the galley I went to some trouble to get new line with an AS number stamped on it. I agree with Pete that there is a lot of bureaucracy-gone-mad in some of the regs we have to comply with.
Old 06-21-2014, 06:47 AM   #6
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Because of price and safety concerns...

When I originally ripped out the PO's long neglected, non-working princess electric stove and oven....I needed something quick and cheap.

I bought 2 commercial grade, electric hot plates and a toaster oven. The plan was for a convection microwave but size and cost weren't gonna happen that first year.

After 2 years of OK use, the electric load and electric while anchored was an issue. So I compromised and bought a propane 3 burner cooktop (pretty inexpensive when on sale) and kept the toaster oven with the convection microwave still possibly in the future.

I thought that the use any time anywhere propane cook top and an electric toaster oven that could be used when charging batteries with the genset or anytime at dock gave me enough flexibility and met my budget targets.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 07:31 AM   #7
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule View Post
I have a sniffer in my bilge piped in solenoid controlled propane range and it has a thermocoupled pilot light system...a true curse. The government has announced pilot lights are history and other lighting systems will be available soon. I have to light a pilot light every time I wish to use the oven if I turn off the gas at the tank because I lose the pilot light. I do not like a pilot light due to the open flame in the boat 24/7 so after using the stove I throw the switch and out goes the pilot light. Here is the question, insofar as the manufactures have not caught up, does any of you out there know of a reasonably priced 2 foot range with electronic ignition in the oven?
I have done a search, I have not removed the stove, (yet) to try to find a way to override the thermocoupled system. I have yet to find an electronic ignition system ...Maybe a spark plug and...well maybe.
Open for suggestions.
My Force 10 range/oven has an electronic ignition system and it's fourteen years old. How old is your stove?

Anyway, the electronic ignition system stopped working and I haven't bothered trying to fix it other than replacing the battery which didn't help.

I bought a grill lighter (commonly used for lighting gas grills) and that's what we use to light the stove or oven. We've been doing this for five years or so. It's a cheap and simple solution.

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 08:04 AM   #8
Guru

City: Fort Pierce
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
That is the system for the oven and cooktop we are using. Trouble is that when lighting the oven pilot light is that you have to get into a very, very awkward position, reach waaaay back into the oven while holding down the "pilot light" button. This "assume the position" must be held until the thermocoupler is heated sufficiently to keep the pilot on. No gas passes to the main burner until this is done. As it stands now I am going to get a propane torch to light it with until I replace.
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 01:09 PM   #9
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Peter, when it comes time to sell, I'd consider just disconnecting the stove/oven and calling it inoperative. Then the next buyer has the choice to replace or reconnect. I don't think we have the same law here, but it could be just around the corner for all I know.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 01:32 AM   #10
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
My previous boat was a Clipper 34, same as Pete's. It had the same type of oven and I was quite happy with it.Our present IG 36 had the oven replaced with a microwave by the PO during a major refit.

At first I missed the oven but soon came to feel the three burner unit with a quality BBQ and microwave set up was far more useful.

I really like having the microwave tucked under the bench as bench space is limited on a boat as it is.

So Pete, my question is do you use the oven much?, if not get rid of it and put a microwave in its place( assuming of course you have a good BBQ already) Oh, and of course you need an inverter.
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 05:13 AM   #11
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Flora
Vessel Model: Timber southern cray boat
Andy,
Has I previously stated I have the BBQ and the Convection/Microwave.
I love my BBQ but there are days that the wind is a bit to strong and it can't be used and so cooking is done inside. this is when the Convection/microwave come on strong.
I have done full roast dinners in this unit when required and no problems, OK the gen set is going but hey it can't be heard over the jingling of glasses and laughter, all is good with the world and the wind is outside.
Cheers
Benn
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:04 AM   #12
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy G View Post
My previous boat was a Clipper 34, same as Pete's. It had the same type of oven and I was quite happy with it.Our present IG 36 had the oven replaced with a microwave by the PO during a major refit.

At first I missed the oven but soon came to feel the three burner unit with a quality BBQ and microwave set up was far more useful.

I really like having the microwave tucked under the bench as bench space is limited on a boat as it is.

So Pete, my question is do you use the oven much?, if not get rid of it and put a microwave in its place( assuming of course you have a good BBQ already) Oh, and of course you need an inverter.
Thanks for the advice, Benn and Andy. I have already worked out we don't really need the oven. We can use our Cobb cooker for that sort of thing as well as for grilling. However, we don't have enough house batt reserve to run a microwave on an inverter, and do not have a genny. Still, I think we could get by with the Cobb and a 3 burner, flame protected cooktop & grill.

I have also figured out the space gain Brian alluded to…however…

Those burner tops are about $500 here…and I was just looking at an R E Edwards catalogue, and you can get essentially what we have now, i.e. 4 burner cooktop, grill and oven, full size in effect, taking up the same space, saving on new joinery, just plug in and play, so to speak, and they are only $650..! Still considering...
Old 06-24-2014, 07:58 AM   #13
Hospitality Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Those burner tops are about $500 here…and I was just looking at an R E Edwards catalogue, and you can get essentially what we have now, i.e. 4 burner cooktop, grill and oven, full size in effect, taking up the same space, saving on new joinery, just plug in and play, so to speak, and they are only $650..! Still considering...
Actually that does make sense Pete. $650. No modifications needed. No need for an inverter or genset, and no battery issues.

I was really fond of my old Clipper.

PS she now lives up in your part of the world, if you see her give her a wave, she's called 'Amadeus', the dingy was called 'Wolfgang'.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:06 PM   #14
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
Exercising the generator to cook never looked so good! This just killed any more thoughts on replacing my seaward princess electric with a propane model, the $100.00 yearly increase in insurance was the 1st death blow.
Old 06-25-2014, 04:17 PM   #15
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
(snip)
Pete
Make sure you read the appliance manual before buying. All of the domestic ones I saw had a statement to the effect 'not for marine use' in their installation/user manual, despite having auto flame cutouts. Those few little words will void your insurance..... That's why I ponied up the outrageous cost for the Eno at Whitworths.
Old 06-25-2014, 04:51 PM   #16
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
It seems the insurance companies and bureaucrats are cracking down on propane stoves.
I am surprised that they haven't worried about metho stoves. Although I am happy with mine, if a person is not familiar with how to preheat the burner, a fire is almost guaranteed..
I don't allow anyone to use it until I have given them the full "training course" in usage of the stove, fire extinguishers and fire blanket.
No its not idiot-proof, but I manage the risks adequately.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 05:41 AM   #17
Hospitality Officer

I haven't come across any scuttlebutt about insurance companies targeting propane stoves in Oz.

Am I missing something?
Old 06-26-2014, 06:02 AM   #18
TF Site Team

Andy
No targeting that I'm aware of. But a non-compliant propane instal will give them an out and force you to prove it wasn't a factor in any fire incident. That may not b easy.

But I am puzzled why the domestic and many RV appliances are labelled 'not for marine use'. What is the higher standard that they don't meet?
Old 06-26-2014, 06:05 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy G View Post
I haven't come across any scuttlebutt about insurance companies targeting propane stoves in Oz.

Am I missing something?
Ditto with respect to US insurance companies.

We have a conventional stove/oven set-up, propane tank in a locker on the upper deck, electric solenoid shutoff at the regulator followed by a pressure meter. Oven / stove has electric ignition with thermal couples but at times with have had to use a manual lighter.

Just don't see any significant risk here from the propane, the gasoline for the outboard and my electric wiring have more potential for accidental or hidden dangers.

Will concede that if the owner is not maintaining his/her system then anything can happen.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:27 AM   #20
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insequent View Post
Andy
No targeting that I'm aware of. But a non-compliant propane instal will give them an out and force you to prove it wasn't a factor in any fire incident. That may not b easy.

But I am puzzled why the domestic and many RV appliances are labelled 'not for marine use'. What is the higher standard that they don't meet?
I suspect, Brian, in a word…rust. However, the Chef gas oven/cooker we now have, and has been in the boat at least 20 yrs, has virtually no corrosion anywhere, and what there is, is purely cosmetic.