On the hook? West Coast USA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We did a similar move

Lisa and I never full timed. We did load up a 40ft bus with a lot of stuff to go buy a boat. We didn't have the accumulation of stuff that a fulltimer carries. Lisa and I attempted to move that stuff onto a 40ft boat.

You didn't specify what size RV you have but when you move into a boat, you will be surprised at how much doesn't fit. Boats are curvy. RV's are boxy. We figure about half of our RV stuff went to various charities. We bought a SeaRay "trawler":angel: a really curvy boat so you may keep more than our percentage.

Fuel mileage is not relatable unless you buy a sailboat. Our RV got around 8 miles per gallon depending on the wind and terrain. Our 40ft boat gets around 2 miles per gallon depending on currents and tides.

The nice trailerable boats mentioned will have much less space to live in but will also have much lower operating costs.

Lisa and I also live in AZ. We chose the east coast because it seemed a richer cruising environment than the west coast. We can go an hour to new sights, people and new experiences. On the west coast, the distances to new experiences and thought it was too far, at least for a new boater.

While there are some challenges to move from an RV to a boat, it is a good move. We agree with the Gone with the Wynn's reference.

I think you will find boating richer than Rving but it is all what you make of the opportunity.

Mike

I spend Oct to May in the Sea of Cortez on a 52 ft twin diesel motor yacht on a mooring ball & at anchor. Solar panels and watermaker make it easy. Mooring ball is $450 a month and lots of time at anchor. Boat goes on the hard for the summer. I also have a 34 ft sail boat in Ketchikan, AK for summer use. Moorage there at city marina is $100 a month. Works for me.

Back
Top Bottom