Grand Banks Classic 36 1973 GRP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sweetypie

Hello Everyone,

I am looking at Purchasing the below GB 36 to convert to a self sufficient Live aboard in the coming months.

https://yachthub.com/list/boats-for-sale/used/power-boats/grand-banks-36-price-reduced/162302

The Boat is a 1973 Fiberglass Hull GB 36 Aft cabin, I am looking for advice from those who have had to deal with issues on similar boats, Manly what kind of damage can be expected to need repairing from the windows leaking for years.

The Engines are in great condition, The teak decks have been removed and replaced with fibreglass. Mechanically she seems to be in very good condition.

I am a Carpenter, So I'm not afraid of the work. However I do not want to over capitalise on the repairs.

My Plan is to remove the Galley and replace with a full length Countertop and new Cupboards, Install a hidden Washing Machine, Draw Fridges, Dishwasher and Sink.

The Aft Cabin I will Remove the current beds and replace with a queen mounted sideways rather than for an aft as it currently stands.

I want to remodel the aft Head as its worn and dated.

I want to make a large Canopy/Bimini to cover the aft cabin and rear deck, this will be a solid structure with multiple solar panels moulded into it. with a Dingy cradle in the centre.

And Finally I want to possibly install Paravanes to the vessel by removing the current mast and replacing with an Aluminium version that hinges the to Poles out horizontally when needed.

Before I go and view the boat again I would like to see what others think.

So thank you in advance for your input.

Below is a GB 42 with the Hardtop/Bimini I want to construct, Only I will make it out of foam sheets and epoxy rather than Plywood.

https://yachthub.com/list/boats-for...banks-42-classic-flybridge-motor-yacht/271346

Welcome Aboard!
The boat is priced below what I would expect so you are on notice there could be issues. Though, it is an older one. Paint etc looks fresh, so look below it.
Your question related to long term window leaks. Consequences are usually rot in/below the window. Your carpentry skills will be useful. Check window drains,possibly inside as well as outside, not keeping them cleared is a cause.
The genset is noted as "not connected", it`s 3.5kw,probably original and dead, ? an Onan MDJE.
Nothing wrong with modifying to make it fit your needs, and to update.
After you look at it, post again. There are GB36 people on the forum, some smarter than others. I`m an ex Island Gypsy(Halvorsen origins) owner,for which the GB was essentially the model.
Good the decks are finished in non slip paint teak removed. Check underneath, fuel and water tanks etc,for any rust consequences of the leaks that saw the decks redone. Old steel tanks can be expensive and inconvenient to replace.

Good luck with it.

Last edited:
Welcome aboard. Bruce hit most of the major issues. Soft decks, fuel tanks and leaking windows top the list IMO. If they removed the teak decks hopefully they repaired the core before the did the glass. Check the steel fuel tanks as best you can for rust. 600 liters seems very small to me. It looks like they may have laminate bulkheads instead of teak so they will be easier and cheaper to replace if needed. Then get a good survey and check it carefully. The Lehman engines are just about bulletproof. Good luck.

1973 was the year GB moved to Fiberglass, they didnt spare the resin in the first glass years. I do believe they did still have ply in the walls that have caused issues with leaky windows. Love the deck extension you like on the 42, although the clearance may be less on a 36.
Hollywood

Thank you,

Welcome Aboard!
The boat is priced below what I would expect so you are on notice there could be issues. Though, it is an older one. Paint etc looks fresh, so look below it.
Your question related to long term window leaks. Consequences are usually rot in/below the window. Your carpentry skills will be useful. Check window drains,possibly inside as well as outside, not keeping them cleared is a cause.
The genset is noted as "not connected", it`s 3.5kw,probably original and dead, ? an Onan MDJE.
Nothing wrong with modifying to make it fit your needs, and to update.
After you look at it, post again. There are GB36 people on the forum, some smarter than others. I`m an ex Island Gypsy(Halvorsen origins) owner,for which the GB was essentially the model.
Good the decks are finished in non slip paint teak removed. Check underneath, fuel and water tanks etc,for any rust consequences of the leaks that saw the decks redone. Old steel tanks can be expensive and inconvenient to replace.

Good luck with it.

Thanks for your response BruceK,

The windows are currently my main concern, The engines and running Gear all present like new. The Genset would be the first thing I remove.

I will have a closer look at the tanks next visit. I think ill upload a bunch of photos to this post.

I almost Brough and Island Gypsy a few months ago, the vessel was 500miles up the coast. I drove up to view it after making a verbal offer, The photos they had used in the advert must of been 10 plus years old.

She was a stunning boat however needed re-powering,rewiring,repainting and new Decks. Would of sent me broke I am sure of it.

If anyone reading this knows of a good solution for the windows (Replacement ) I would be very interested to hear your views. I am contemplating replacing them with double glassed UPVC windows, I have a great supplier who can make the custom sizes and shapes for almost Nothing in $$ terms.

The Lehman 120 seem to be a commonly loved engine, anything I should know about these old girls ?

1973 was the year GB moved to Fiberglass, they didnt spare the resin in the first glass years. I do believe they did still have ply in the walls that have caused issues with leaky windows. Love the deck extension you like on the 42, although the clearance may be less on a 36.
Hollywood

Hollywood, Are the Cabins taller on the 42s? I had wondered that might be an issue. I am trying to get a hold of some originally drawings.

I am ok with the extra resin as long as they laid the extra Glass to go with it ?

YEs I do believe the cabin is walls to be constructed out of Ply, I did notice some internal corners cracked inside the wheelhouse. So the leaking windows I think are my major concern atm. Id love to know how much work would be involved in replacing the timber studs and wall winnings as I am not sure how else to inspect the inside of the walls?

Welcome aboard. Bruce hit most of the major issues. Soft decks, fuel tanks and leaking windows top the list IMO. If they removed the teak decks hopefully they repaired the core before the did the glass. Check the steel fuel tanks as best you can for rust. 600 liters seems very small to me. It looks like they may have laminate bulkheads instead of teak so they will be easier and cheaper to replace if needed. Then get a good survey and check it carefully. The Lehman engines are just about bulletproof. Good luck.

Thanks Comodave, The decks are extremely solid while walking around, I will have to inspect from below deck with a torch on the next visit. I though the same thing with the fuel tanks, Id like to see her carry 2000litres of Diesel.

The Lehman's being just about bulletproof, Do they like to just tick over or can the run hard all day ? I had a perkins 4-154 in the last boat and she loved 1750rpm any more and she burned a lot of fuel and any less she rattled like a cat in a microwave.

Attachments

• side deck.jpeg
    side deck.jpeg
    157.5 KB · Views: 12
I see in the GB42 they also extended the cabin roof over the side decks, mimicking the Europa design. This would help keep water away from the windows.

I Really love the Europa Look, however I am a fan of living in the Aft cabin. Great combination I think.

Everything I want to do if I Purchase her is keep the lines and character of the vessel Elegant and astetically pleasing.

Your right about stopping the rain from hitting the windows Though.

Attachments

• 2013-10-26 17.19.03.jpg
    2013-10-26 17.19.03.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 2013-10-26 17.32.21.jpg
    2013-10-26 17.32.21.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 19
Check out my blog, grandbankschoices, on how to do windows. Not hard work, but labor intensive.

Flopper stoppers no go on a GB, current design just can't handle it.

A boat that old be prepared to touch everything. I reused frig/freezer cabinets and converted them. They work really good now.

Good luck and post pictures of your projects.

I do not have a dog in this hunt but my previous boat a 1971 GB 36 woody is for sale in louisiana. If there is a GB woody that is not a project boat this is it. Engine and fuel tanks replaced, teak deck removed and reattached after fiberglassed marine plywood installed.
The boat has been sand blasted from the water line to the flybridge and repainted, two coats of primer and 2 coats of paint sprayed on. Located in Madisonville La, the north shore of lake ponchatrain. The boat has been in fresh water since 2003. I bought it in 2010 from the original owner a retired marine living/retired in california. who shipped it to La in 2003. I know this is off topic etc!

OP, I like the hardtop and the ability to install what looks like 1.5kW of solar. However what is the headroom going to be underneath it? You can probably work with 5ft, but if it is say 4ft you might find issues.

Also since it sounds like you’re doing extensive renovations, you may wish to rip out the old dated parquet flooring and the dated teak helm wheel. Go a bit more modern, brighten up the interior and refresh the traditional dark interior.

I agree that the head-room under the roof over the aft cabin may limit the use of that space.

If the main objective is to have a place for the panels a fixed roof could be built over the flybridge with the panels nestled in place.

I built such a structure for my GB50. On the GB36 three panels should fit.

Attachments

• IMG_4955.jpg
    IMG_4955.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4990.jpeg
    IMG_4990.jpeg
    96.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5041.jpg
    IMG_5041.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 19
Having traveled a lot on both the GB42CL and the GB36CL, I would opt for the 42 to live aboard. Too many bruises to shoulders squeezing around in a 36, and if the 36 has twin engines, NO WAY.

Lehman engines are a huge plus. You need to see the records of work done. Parts are available from American Diesel Corp(Lehman successors effectively) in USA and from a supplier in Sydney(in the dreaded "east"). One issue is developing a silt build up around no.6 cylinder impairing cooling, resolved by enthusiastic cooling passage cleaning, before something nasty happens. Note there are modified sea water pumps made by ADC which don`t unexpectedly break the drive method and overheat engines. About $500USD. The advert does not tell engine hours.
Think about fixing rather than removing the genset. Living aboard it`s useful,and back up. Not sure how B 36s are set up but IG batts do house and start, so a working genset can be handy.
I had replacement aluminium windows remade for a Masters 34, very cost effective. You will have wooden frames which makes a bigger job, but worth doing.
A concern I have about this boat is painted interior woodwork paneling which I think was originally varnished. Others will know for sure, but if it has been painted it may be due to water damage paint and bog hides but varnish does not.
The boat market here is still hot and fast. WA(? NK according to Alan Joyce) I`m not sure, but that boat has been on the market a while, here that would be a red flag.There, I don`t know. Revisit, look hard, survey thoroughly.

Gb 36

The windows in the aft cabin of my former 1978 GB 42' Classic were cracked when I bought her. A very skilled craftsman had to remove the windows and replace the molding which broke during the process. This did not stop the leaks which caused the new wallpaper to bubble and peel. Then, when I drydocked the boat for underwater painting the windows cracked again. I just sealed the cracks and did not use the windows. As it turned out the leaks were caused by the aging molding around the flybridge steps, aft cabin sliding roof, and the molding at the base of the aft salon window. Once they were replaced the leaks stopped. There are many age related issues that will present themselves, especially with the batteries.

Hello Everyone,

I am looking at Purchasing the below GB 36 to convert to a self sufficient Live aboard in the coming months.

https://yachthub.com/list/boats-for-sale/used/power-boats/grand-banks-36-price-reduced/162302

The Boat is a 1973 Fiberglass Hull GB 36 Aft cabin, I am looking for advice from those who have had to deal with issues on similar boats, Manly what kind of damage can be expected to need repairing from the windows leaking for years.

The Engines are in great condition, The teak decks have been removed and replaced with fibreglass. Mechanically she seems to be in very good condition.

I am a Carpenter, So I'm not afraid of the work. However I do not want to over capitalise on the repairs.

My Plan is to remove the Galley and replace with a full length Countertop and new Cupboards, Install a hidden Washing Machine, Draw Fridges, Dishwasher and Sink.

The Aft Cabin I will Remove the current beds and replace with a queen mounted sideways rather than for an aft as it currently stands.

I want to make a large Canopy/Bimini to cover the aft cabin and rear deck, this will be a solid structure with multiple solar panels moulded into it. with a Dingy cradle in the centre.

And Finally I want to possibly install Paravanes to the vessel by removing the current mast and replacing with an Aluminium version that hinges the to Poles out horizontally when needed.

Below is a GB 42 with the Hardtop/Bimini I want to construct, Only I will make it out of foam sheets and epoxy rather than Plywood.

https://yachthub.com/list/boats-for...banks-42-classic-flybridge-motor-yacht/271346

Jeanie Deans... She is well known in Perth waters and spent many years of endless summers at Rotto. In fact one of the most senior freo sea rescue skippers lived aboard her at rotto for extended periods . She is well used (a good thing) and has not sat idle. But suggest you get your own surveys done.

We have a Clipper 34 at East Freo, that is very very similar. The extended hardtop you talk of definitely wont work. Not enough height above the aft cabin. The remaining cockpit you have between the aft cab and the transom is too small, and people do congregate atop the cabin. Also do you still want the boat to be functional? As if reversing from the flybridge your visibility over the transom will be severely compromised. You could extend the upper shade similar to our boat to give more on the fly bridge. The foldable bimini on the aft deck is useful in Western Australia. We don't presently have shade at that section on our boat and have so far only used an umbrella. You may find also people congregate on the bow when underway, it is cool and a great place to be. We are forever searching for the most functional option. Shade is extremely important in WA.

I also would not change the berth layout in the aft cabin. Every time we are on the boat the aft hatch/access is open. 50% of access into the boat is via this route so you want it unimpeded through to the saloon. Plus there is under stow under the side decks which may as well be used for berths as there is plenty of storage on these boats. In the aft cab across the aft bulk head. Also, if you are driving at the lower helm, you are kind of in the way of the saloon door, so people often use the aft access..

You can expect constant problems with everything on the boat, its just a fact of a 50 year old vessel. For mechanicals we have used Bayswater Tractor Repairs for sourcing parts and have a local Irish Lad who works on tractors in the country who enjoys coming down to the boat for a change. But generally we try and do everything ourselves. Parts from Amercian Diesel are very expensive once you factor freight costs. We have more or less had to replace or repair every system on the boat at some point..

I guess the main question is, will this be solely a liveaborad for which there are much more practical options in Perth. Or, do you enjoy the trawler type vessels and will use the boat as well, including trips to GI, Rotto and so forth. For which to be honest I would focus less on changing the boat but more on just keeping it working in tip top condition.

If you do go ahead let us know, and feel free to visit our boat "Annie" berthed at EFYC.

The windows in the aft cabin of my former 1978 GB 42' Classic were cracked when I bought her. A very skilled craftsman had to remove the windows and replace the molding which broke during the process. This did not stop the leaks which caused the new wallpaper to bubble and peel. Then, when I drydocked the boat for underwater painting the windows cracked again. I just sealed the cracks and did not use the windows. As it turned out the leaks were caused by the aging molding around the flybridge steps, aft cabin sliding roof, and the molding at the base of the aft salon window. Once they were replaced the leaks stopped.

I too refit an older 42 Classic and went with new Okoame German Plywood walls, epoxied all new window holes, installed aluminum clamshell windows with good tracks and large weep holes and tempered 6 mm glass, tinted & polarized.

Back in early 00s the windows were $20k + and the plywood $600/sheet 10 x 4 x 5/8's and the labor $25/hr.

This was a major undertaking, but by removing the Flybridge seats and much of the trim, and filleting the stepdowns and angle changes, and glassing the exterior verticals it sure made it water tight and strong.

I had gone down that road of repairing vertical plywood for long enough. I wanted to fix it for good and that did it.

Altogether bought the boat in 2000 for $40k, sunk $250k in it over the next 15 years approx. and sold it for $69k, then $59k, then $55k and finally for $25k.

The last one took and I have to say, I did get tens of thousands in deposits that were kept due to extraordinary conditions and contracts. Altogether I probably only lost $150k over the fifteen years. But it was worth it while cruising fulltime. I do not regret one centavo.

Bn 36

Hello Everyone,

I just found out that when my boat was shipped before I owned it, when they replaced the bridge, they didn’t caulk it properly and I had a water leak for years that I just discovered. $10,000 damage. I would look at a 73 very carefully before I bought it. The windows are a huge issue on older boats. Look in the engine room at the sound proofing tiles. Are they wet or rotted? Look at the flooring in the storage areas under the windows.
If you can get this boat for a song and you are a carpenter then buy it, knowing that you may have a years worth of work (and yard fees) ahead of you. Good luck.
If this boat has the original “black iron” fuel tanks then walk away. They need to be replaced and that is a very difficult and expensive job. Find a boat that has already had this done. Again, unless you can get this boat for a song and go into it with eyes wide open. With knowing nothing more than I’ve seen here, you are potentially looking at about $100,000 in additional costs after original purchase price.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom