getting 80 pound dog aboard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well then the harness served it’s purpose. Our dog Radar will pretty much let me do anything to him that I want to. He is very trusting. As long as I don’t leave him behind he is fine.

We have a 16 year old Lab Pit mix and a 4 yr. old (both rescues). Both about 65 Lbs. A few years ago I installed a set of stairs so they could get up onto the bed. Young one loves them (even though she can jump up). The old dog absolutely refuses to take one step on them - just stands there and cries. Funny thing is they both go up and down stairs with 6 steps to get in and out of the house into the backyard many times every day.

Just an example of the saying, "You can't teach and old dog a new trick". So, whatever you build, you may never get your old dog to use it.

Looking for ways to get my 80 lb 12 year old chocolate lab on board. SHe will not walk a ramp and she is to heavy for me to lift on and off the grand banks. was thinking of some sort of rope and pulley thing attached to some sort of dog sling to swing her on board but have no idea how. Love to hear some successful ideas. THanks

We have a ramp and a set of marquipt sea stairs. We are lucky enough to have the side doors to be able to use the stairs most of the time. Pricey but effective.

IMG_2587.JPG

Anyone know how to train our cockapoo to "do your business" on a fake grass mat on our 44 ft Marine Trader ? we're getting ready to cruise for 6 months up the IC W and don't want to have to dinghy her to shore,

Dog Training

There are several books called something like:

"How to Housetrain Your Dog in 7 Days" (look on Amazon)

Several people I know used this method to correct bad behavior (peeing only on the carpet in the house, refusing to pee in the grass), and they swore it worked in a week or 10 days.

Of course, it'll depend on how old, smart and willing to learn/mind your dog is to begin with.

I certainly believe it's worth a try.

Todd

We took astro turf material at home and put our lab on a leash. We only let him out onto the turf. He didn’t want to pee on it but eventually he did. We also constantly tell him “to go on and go to the bathroom” when he has to pee and while he is peeing. Now when we tell him to go on and go to the bethroom he immediately looks for a place to pee and then pees. We cut sections of the turf that he had gone on and took them on the boat. He isn’t happy about using the turf but he will go. We also tell him to go on and go to the bathroom when we put the turf down. I put a couple of grommets in the turf so we can put a small line on it and dunk it in the water after he goes. We bought pee pads to put under the turf to absorb the pee. Good luck and welcome aboard.

Place the mat someplace other than your living area on the boat (for example on the foredeck if you spend time on the flying bridge or cockpit). Take the dog there regularly (and hopefully you have trained (her?) to use come command such as "go potty" to go out of doors at home. The dog eventually will pee. We have waited up to 24 hours to have that happen (9 year old Labrador retriever, and we were on a 4 year voyage crossing oceans). We have trained younger labs to do the same. One time the dogs did not go ashore for a number of months because of canine diseases. They swam around the boat for exercise several times daily. Once they get the pee idea the BM will come along-

Take the dog out before meal time and then after eating. Every few hours to start with, then she will figure it out...

Another method is to use the "pee pads" such as "Petphabet Puppy Dog Training Potty Pee Piddle Pads" (Amazon good ranking--I have never used these). But allow her to use these in the yard with astroturf , and then begin to use on the boat, with the astroturf. We put grommets in the corners of the Astroturf, and dip it in the water with line attached, then let the water rinse off the deck when pulled back aboard.

Thanks, all you helpers. we'll give it a try.

There are two kinds of 80 pound dogs. Young, fit, pain free and energetic. They will get on the boat without hardly any assistance. Up ladders, long jumps, etc.

The other kind, older, arthritic, overweight, etc. require special handling. You just do what you have to do.

pete

Well our dog is just a furry child. So we do whatever it takes and whatever it costs...

Well our dog is just a furry child. So we do whatever it takes and whatever it costs...
Same here. After successfully training at home to go outside, we are now trying hard to tell him it is OK on the deck of the boat. Sure can hold it a long time.

Our previous Lab could hold it for 36 hours when he didn’t like the place we wanted him to go. We had a kennel with gravel and he was good with that, then out of the blue he started digging so we put patio pavers so he couldn’t dig. He waited 36 hours before he went on the pavers. The Vet said just wait him out that it would not hurt him. I think it hurt us more than it did him. He finally went 1 time on the pavers and then he was fine with the pavers. Our current Lab has waited 24 hours before going when we went from pavers to concrete in his outdoors kennel.

Our previous Lab could hold it for 36 hours when he didn’t like the place we wanted him to go. We had a kennel with gravel and he was good with that, then out of the blue he started digging so we put patio pavers so he couldn’t dig. He waited 36 hours before he went on the pavers. The Vet said just wait him out that it would not hurt him. I think it hurt us more than it did him. He finally went 1 time on the pavers and then he was fine with the pavers. Our current Lab has waited 24 hours before going when we went from pavers to concrete in his outdoors kennel.

That settles it, we will wait him out if we do not go ashore anyway

We use the make it a routine method. Feed him then take him out and tell him to go, whatever words you use, use them every time. It works at home also. When we are going to go for a ride in the truck he is beside himself, jumping and spinning. I tell him to go on and go to the bathroom. He stops and looks for a place to go and goes. Good luck.

we have 3 dogs and I swear they are all on different schedules. I'm going to teach them to drive the dingy. Will be way easier.
toni

I would get them all on the same schedule. It is doable. You have to reach them the command to go to the bathroom, whatever command you like to use. It takes some work but it can be done.

I beat my head against this for a while and finally came up with a 2 point solution that I think will work for us with our 85 lb 10 yr old lab. He and we need a lot of exercise. We not dock hoppers, we prefer to anchor out as much as possible.

This first part, on and off dockside, is proven.

We're PNW boaters which means mostly floating docks, most of them within inches of the same height off the water. For the home port and other floating docks we use the pet loader stairs off the side of the boat. Pet loader says the stairs are for pets only. I suspect that is a legal CYA statement. I'm 180 lbs and use the stairs with confidence.

This second part, in / out of the dingy at anchor, will be field tested soon.

The dingy is carried on the swim step, the aft deck is high so a transom door is not a real possibility. The boat has a ladder that folds up against the transom for humans to climb between swim step and transom rail. It folds down into the water when needed.

The apparent solution was a ramp from top step of the ladder in it's up position to the swim step. But I had some problems to solve.

• Dog needed a landing platform at the top big enough to make the turn to / from the ramp.
  • Dog needed room at the bottom of the ramp to make the turn to / from the dingy.
  • Top platform should support dog and human.
  • A ramp length that left him enough room for the turn at the bottom was too steep. He slipped on a steep ramp from a high dock to the swim step on our previous boat. After that he wouldn't go near the ramp again.
Hillbilly engineering to the rescue!

A 3/4" ply platform for the top landing, but how to attach it to the top ladder step and have it be strong enough for big dog and human? The ladder steps are teak so I used threaded inserts in the ladder step and what I'll call turn knobs to secure the platform to the step. Heavy duty plastic knobs with 3/8" coarse threaded rod. Just line up the ply platform, screw the knobs into the inserts and the platform is attached. To make it able to carry dog and human weight two down legs at the furthest aft edge. If you're going to try this "design" you'll have to down legs that match your swim step and how you'll attach to the swim step.

The next problem was that a ramp long enough to be a shallow enough angle to not be too steep for the old boy didn't leave him room at the swim step for a secure turn into / out of the dingy. A ramp short enough was far too steep. I built a ply wood box that rests on the swim step at the right distance from the back end of the swim step. The bottom of the ramp lands on box, the box makes a final step down. We mocked it up at home, a little encouragement and a treat or two and he owns the ramp now!

We were able to find a telescoping ramp that is the right length. It will also serve to get him up to the fly bridge.

I'm still working on attaching the upper ramp down legs and the lower end box to the swim step. I want all of this to be an easy peasy 1,2,3 set up. Not a long involved struggle each time.

I envision that as we rig to depart on a cruise the down leg bottom attachment and the box will be secured to the swim step and left there for the duration of the voyage. That makes the process to use the system each time:

• Launch dingy
  • Mount upper platform with down legs
  • Drop ramp into position
  • One person in the dingy, other and dog come down the ramp
If only weaver dingy davits were as easy to use. Seems I'm constantly having to adjust the stand offs and the motor support to accomodate tube diamater changes with air pressure changes resulting from temperature changes. Or fiddle with tube air pressure until it fits again.

Some astute observers will ask why we don't use the ramp for both transom and side boarding? Well, it's too long for many of the PNW narrow floating docks.

Curious how your setup-design went? 2 80lb+ dogs and a SMALL fiance means I do all the lifting on/off... Found a couple "pet ladders/ramps" I am going to experiment with in the next few weeks and see what works the best...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom