Georgia Liveaboard marinas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gabe n Em

Guru
Vessel Name
Volans
Vessel Make
2001 PDQ MV 32
...Are non-existant! :confused:

We're almost there (Charleston, SC tomorrow) and we've been very involved in our journey and haven't worried too much about the options. Recently we started calling around and could only find Isle of Hope to accept liveaboards currently! We like the web-site and what we hear about it but we'd love to have at least 2 options to choose from.

Does anyone on here have connections? know a place? we'd love to hear it!

Likewise, If anyone will be in Savannah late next week and wants to get together for a beverage, we'll buy the first round!:thumb:

It's a little further south, but Brunswick has a good live aboard community. The marina goes out of their way to accommodate them.

Brunswick Landing Marina: A liveaboard's paradise in Georgia

That is my suggestion as well.

Are you planning on staying at a marina in GA for the foreseeable future or will you just spend a few weeks or months? "Liveaboard" is a pretty vague word. Many marinas will let you stay aboard for extended periods. It's when you start getting your mail there that it becomes a problem. It's often not the marina's decision, it's local laws.

Last edited:
X3 on Brunswick Landing. Great facilities for live aboards and good staff. Being right in town, it's within walking distance to a lot of shops and good eateries, banks and other services. A schlep to the groceries though.

Also, what are your needs? Isle of Hope is close to Savannah which is a pretty large city with lots of stores and services.

Brunswick is a much smaller city.

Thank you guys for the feedback. I guess I should clarify the situation a little. Em has work in Savannah so we will need to be within commuting distance. We will be living aboard, as we did in Maryland, indefinitely

I just left 3 days with friends in Brunswick. Their daughter lived at home and commuted to Savannah for awhile. If the job is on the opposite side of town from marinas, the commute could be close.

The Brunswick Landing marina is nice with good stuff but are about to raise rates...double check the increase.

We really like Isle of Hope area but not a lot right around the marina except beautiful homes. There is an area just south and across from Thunderbolt that we were going to try this trip, 2 or 3 marinas...might try looking up on Active Captain.

If rustic and rural is OK, how about places like Kilkenny, Half Moon (there right now) or Sunbury?

Or the opposite, Hilton Head?

My take; Brunswick has a very active live aboard community and the marina is very welcoming. Free beer in the evening and coffee in the AM. However the town seems to be struggling to stay alive, my opinion.

Isle of Hope is a charming area but not many live aboards and not much to do right around the marina. Downtown Savannah is a 20 min ride away.

If you can stretch your legs a little you might consider Fernandina Bch. Very cool active touristy town. Not sure about the live aboard situation.
Or to the north, Beaufort S.C. Another active live aboard community but not as big as Brunswick. Very accommodating staff with a well equipped work shop on site available.

In our travels up and down the ICW Brunswick had the most accommodating and largest live aboard community. We stayed 2 nights and were invited both nights to some function or other.

Thank you guys for the feedback. I guess I should clarify the situation a little. Em has work in Savannah so we will need to be within commuting distance. We will be living aboard, as we did in Maryland, indefinitely

You wouldn't want to commute every day from Brunswick regardless of how nice it might be.

You have one in mind and it's fine. You could go on Active Captain, get the phone numbers of other nearby marinas and call them and ask about living aboard.

Here's one that's not far: Delegal Creek Marina. I don't know if it will meet your requirements but it's a decent place.

Bull River allows liveaboard somewhat at the discretion of the manager, so be very careful to make it clear that you'll be a good dependable customer. Face to face is best, but phone will work. Maybe send some photos of your boat and even yourselves.

They are very convenient to downtown Savannah by car. https://bullrivermarina.com/

Thanks guys for all the suggestions! We're hiding in Coffee Bluff marina for the time being. We will check out Bull river, BandB, thank you. We liked Bahia Bleu but they were full up for now - our current plan is to wait them out.

Now that you've clarified your location, I would agree that the Thunderbolt area is a great choice. We spent a week or two there a couple of times while having the boat worked on at Thunderbolt Marine. While the adjacent Thunderbolt Marina is a nice place, and fun, there in the shadow of some incredible yachts, I don't recall much if any of a live-aboard community. Bahia Blue or pretty much any of the others there look like good choices.

We've driven back and forth from Beaufort to Savannah and while we like Beaufort a lot, I personally wouldn't want to do that commute (though depends on exactly where in Savannah the work is). Savannah is such a great town and there are so many nice "weekend" cruising destinations, particularly if you like to anchor out in pretty surroundings.

Prior to 2012, Georgia had a law prohibiting liveaboards. It might take some time for the marinas to catch up and provide facilities and support.

George: We really liked the Thunderbolt area ourselves and are waiting for a spot to open up in a month or so - hopefully that will be where we end up!

-Gabe

Back
Top Bottom