Gardening Afloat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marinetrader

When cruising, it takes some time to consider what foods you must store for the future. But storing any food that is not both tasty and nutritious will be a waste of time.

In our cruising planning process we could not figure how to plan for having a continuous supply of fresh vegetables, as you might imagine, we have limited garden space aboard our boat. So we came across the idea of sprouting seeds and container gardening; this looked to be a good idea for fresh vegetables

-- Edited by Woodsong on Tuesday 20th of March 2012 12:49:58 PM

marinetrader wrote:
....So we came across the idea of sprouting seeds and container gardening; this looked to be a good idea for fresh vegetables...
Thanks, I needed the laugh this afternoon.*
smile.gif
* (Nothing personal).* We tried sprouts.* They were an OK addition to a salad but they didn't work for us.* We carried the seeds and kit around for 4 years before we traded it for a bottle of rum.* I still feel I got the better end of the deal.

Container gardening on your boat while cruising?* Two*weeks ago some friends gave us a window box size planter with 2 tomato plants, basil and cilantro.* The sun was shinning and we had about 10 knots of wind.* What a great idea!** We are into day 7*of 15-25 knots in the anchorage and*I think the tomato plants are*saying, 'Kill me".** Between the high winds, the salt spray and having to tie the planter*down, I think I'll help the tomato plants along.

Now an herb garden,*I can see as manageable when you're cruising but I'll*save that for another day.*

Gee, we moved on to the boat so we did not have a garden.* Why would somebody want to garden on their boat?* The only thing my wife can grow/keep alive is Cactus and even then its just a mater of time.*
hmm.gif
**Besides, gardening implies getting dirt on your hands/fingers nails.*Yuk!*
cry.gif
Even when we owned the house if it was green in my yard it was a week and I pulled Killed it.* My ex wife for years wonder why her bulbs never came up?*
confuse.gif
Our*yard was deck, concrete, rock, bark dust with some low shrubs.* In the summer I let the grass die and never ever fertalized.* * *

Greetings,
A number of years back, a neighbor gave me some tomato plants she had extra (8 I think). Went ahead and planted them in the back yard. Tended to them all summer, weeded, fed, fought off local wildlife, weeded some more, staked them up etc. When the crop came in....HOLY JEEBUS!!!!!! I had tomatoes coming out the yin yang. People stopped talking to me on the street for fear I'd force tomatoes on them. That same fall, I went to a local farmer's market and low and behold, 8 qt. basket of tomatoes-$1.50! Was it worth it? Not on your life. Bringing dirt onto a boat I work to keep dirt off of? Hahahahahaha..... "storing any food that is not both tasty and nutritious will be a waste of time"? NOTHING at all wrong with canned or frozen!
Your link Mr. marine trader seems to be connected to you. Thinly veiled advertising??????

Why don't you just put a couple of chickens in a cage over the side? You could eat the eggs until you got tired of them, then just eat the chickens.
wink.gif

The question was asked elsewhere, "how often do you leave the dock?"

One of the reasons we are able to leave the dock within 30 minutes of getting the idea is because we HAVE NO PLANTS onboard. Nor pets.

just sayin.

Boathommy wrote:
The question was asked elsewhere, "how often do you leave the dock?"

One of the reasons we are able to leave the dock within 30 minutes of getting the idea is because we HAVE NO PLANTS onboard. Nor pets.

just sayin.
That's what I'm talkin bout!!!*

The Admiral thought that chicken coops on the bridge deck (aft) would be a great way to get fresh eggs. So far, she hasn't acted (whew). I'll let you know if circumstances change. . .

Jeff Wolf
Vagabond - Pilgrim 40 Trawler
Anchored in Tarpon Basin of Key Largo

Don't grow them pickem

HAVING BEEN A GARDNER ALL MY LIFE AND STILL GROW MOST OF WHAT WE EAT I THINK YOU SHOULD LOOK INTO WHAT GROWS ALONG THE SHORE THAT IS EDIBLE. WE LIVE ON THE COAST OF NORTHERN NEW ENGLAND AND OTHER THEN THE DEAD OF WINTER THERE IS PLANTY TO EAT ALONG THE SHORE. NOT KNOWING WHER YOU TRAVEL I COULDN'T RECOMMEND WHAT THERE IS TO EAT. JUST ASK THE LOCALS OR CHECK ON THE INTERNET. WE JUST HAD A STIR FRY WITH GOOSE GREEN FOR DINNERhttp://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/images/trawler/smilies/sk/popcorn.gif

Gardening Afloat...........thought this was going to be a thread on lousy bottom paint. :rolleyes:

Ted

Fresh stuff is nice....a lot of writing about how frozen is actually better as more nutrients are frozen in quickly rather than fresh that is on its last legs by the time you get it home.

Have had pets and/or plants aboard all 3 liveaboards...they are less of an issue than an idiot crew.....just have a place for them and keep'em squared away and it shouldn't impact your getting underway time at all.:thumb:

Weed would probably be the only thing worth growing afloat. I don't partake but at least it will pay rent or gas or whatever. More than a $1.50 bag a maters.

Obviously have never had Jersey tomatoes...:thumb:

Weed would probably be the only thing worth growing afloat. I don't partake but at least it will pay rent or gas or whatever. More than a $1.50 bag a maters.

Out here in California you can get a card for that:hide:

Yup...and we disguise them as flowers!

Attachments

• BoatFlowers.jpg
    BoatFlowers.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 125
Yup...and we disguise them as flowers!

Flywright, I noticed that you have recently installed new ceiling lights in your boat. Would they be grow lights by any chance?:hide::speed boat:

The couple owning this "tug" (from British Columbia and hanging out in Vallejo, CA) manage a small garden (notice the foilage immediate to the aft of the saloon).

img_94920_0_f2868fa8ae6523dcfe6ebe5f7dc9e35e.jpg

Last edited:
I think Flywright has some "nautical produce" for sale.:D:D

I guess my response was too serious but i do like the taste of those ocean weeds.

On a serious note peapod, I enjoy a spot of gardening in my yard every day. Cardiac Dr. helped me make that choice. Told me to plant tomatoes or my wife would be planting me.

But gardening on a boat would just piss me off. And that is not why I do it.:flowers:

Amen on that because the last thing i want on my boat is dirt and that why i suggested if they wanted fresh green stuff to eat get in your dink and eat some of those sea veggies. And the best part is if you paddle, row,or walk it might just help us from being planted too soon, if you know what i mean.

Why don't you just put a couple of chickens in a cage over the side? You could eat the eggs until you got tired of them, then just eat the chickens.
wink.gif

Put the cage over the garden containers so the chickens fertilize it.
Steve W

Back
Top Bottom