Garden/greenhouse on a boat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Donny Bahama

Veteran Member
Just curious if anyone out there grows any veggies on their liveaboard? Our goal is to be as self-sufficient as possible and to that end, I’m going to invest in a good solar power system and water maker. Obviously fish will be on the menu but we’re going to need fruits and veggies so I was thinking of maybe converting the V-berth into a greenhouse or hydroponic grow room.

Last edited:
So you're going to take sunlight and convert it into energy, store it in batteries, to use in grow lights for your garden. Why not grow the plants outdoors?

Buying a boat large enough to have a garden seems a significant additional expense versus a smaller boat and buying vegetables.

Think you're wasting money trying to be frugal.

Ted

So you're going to take sunlight and convert it into energy, store it in batteries, to use in grow lights for your garden. Why not grow the plants outdoors?
For one thing, I think the salt air wouldn’t be good for some of the plants. For another, I think I’d rather sacrifice the V-berth than deck space (which we’ll need for the chicken coops and the goat pen! :D ) I’m not sure what you don’t like about using solar energy to power grow lights but it seems pretty reasonable and logical to me.
It’s not just about being frugal; it’s much more than that. It’s the ability to stay off of land for weeks, maybe months at a time. (What if there’s another pandemic - maybe much worse than the current one? Then there’s the zombie apocalypse to consider! :D ) Plus, ithere’s nowhere to buy vegetables if you’re in the middle of the ocean.

Last edited:
Donny, with all due respect, have you spent any time at sea on a boat? The first decent storm/swell you hit, and that green house is going to look like an overturned mud pit. I admire the green aspects you are considering, but this one is probably not viable.

Donny, with all due respect, have you spent any time at sea on a boat? The first decent storm/swell you hit, and that green house is going to look like an overturned mud pit. I admire the green aspects you are considering, but this one is probably not viable.
Thanks for your input, Fletcher. No offense or disrespect taken. : )
I have spent very little time at sea. (I look forward to changing that!) I hear what you’re saying and it makes sense. If it’s truly not viable, I’ll accept that - but I always like to explore an idea fully before giving up on it. Our first boat had these lovely little oil lamps on gimbal mounts. They were put there by the guy who restored the boat, and he was an experienced and accomplished sailor. What if used something similar and went with hydroponics instead of a soil-based garden?

Donny, too easy?
Maybe I should have stretched out the suggestion?
Danger, always have 2 can openers.

For one thing, I think the salt air wouldn’t be good for some of the plants. For another, I think I’d rather sacrifice the V-berth than deck space (which we’ll need for the chicken coops and the goat pen! :D ) I’m not sure what you don’t like about using solar energy to power grow lights but it seems pretty reasonable and logical to me.
It’s not just about being frugal; it’s much more than that. It’s the ability to stay off of land for weeks, maybe months at a time. (What if there’s another pandemic - maybe much worse than the current one? Then there’s the zombie apocalypse to consider! :D ) Plus, ithere’s nowhere to buy vegetables if you’re in the middle of the ocean.

The point you are missing is grow them outdoors in real sunlight. Converting energy several times is inefficient. Buying a boat big enough to have a greenhouse in a v berth is also inefficient.

Ted

Donny, sleep among various pots and dirt might upset your guests?

I agree, every time one starts to convert energy there is an efficiency loss. Nuclear power plants are not noted for their efficiency but the fuel source is basically unlimited. Now, the steam side.... needs to be efficient. Converting sea water to boiler water is not overly efficient.
I am reasonable sure someone has done a study on cost per gallon of fresh water made via a reverse osmoses plant.

Ted, if frugality is the goal, I would agree with you. If frugality in general is the goal, I wouldn't own a boat. As for growing indoors and giving up the v-berth, well, perhaps it is more of a desire for the ability to live an hored out for longer periods although I wonder whether enough volume can be had in a v-berth can be had to satisfy that goal. One could only, I think, grow bush plants meaning no squash or cucumbers, perhaps cukes if one rigs a trellace of some sort but that gets complicated.

I grow tomatoes and basil hydroponically. Herbs do very well this way. We use a LOT of basil and we always have plenty. The tomatoes, well, jury still out but am very hopeful as I now have lots of blossoms. The basil plant you see in dirt was transplanted from my hydroponic planter. In winter, I get plenty growing indoors.

Buying a boat large enough to have a garden seems a significant additional expense versus a smaller boat and buying vegetables.

Ted
-5910554529449476758.jpeg-5693710495531016494.jpeg-4852889513221272966.jpeg

Herbs definitely. Eventually they get some sort of white fly or bolt and you have to start over. Basil, cilantro (slow bolt from Johnny Seed), parsley (have had more success with curly leaf than Italian). It's been a number of years but we used to sprout lentils for salads which were good and easy.

I would think some varieties of peppers would be compact and durable. Jalapeño, habanero do well. Little goes a long way, especially habanero.

Peter

We had an active Italian flat leaf parsley dirt plant for three years. It died a couple of months ago when we went away and it died in the heat from lack of water. Ironically, the basil in dirt came back with a good watering. We also lost a long-growing mint plant. Both the mint and parsley came back prolifically each spring.
Herbs definitely. Eventually they get some sort of white fly or bolt and you have to start over. Basil, cilantro (slow bolt from Johnny Seed), parsley (have had more success with curly leaf than Italian). It's been a number of years but we used to sprout lentils for salads which were good and easy.

I would think some varieties of peppers would be compact and durable. Jalapeño, habanero do well. Little goes a long way, especially habanero.

Peter

We have had some excellent success with growing herbs on the boat, while traveling. I am not optimistic your plan to grow vegetables will work, unless you are stationary and have lots of deck space to devote to it.

We use a set of "nested" dishpans from Ikea. We drill holes for drainage in the bottom of the pan we plant the herbs in and then set that in the second dishpan, on top of a few large-ish pebbles. This is all to help with drainage. The end result, is no dirty water draining on your deck :)

This only turned out to be a successful endeavor once we discovered that most herbs don't like gale-force winds and salt air/spray. The remedy is to bring the herbs inside when the weather is like this.

We can get about 6 herb plants in one dishpan. Typically, 2 Italian basil, Cilantro, Parsley, Thai basil and Tarragon.

The bottom of the dishpan has something like "feet" that really help keep it from sliding around on the aft teak deck.

Attachments

• Herbs.jpg
    Herbs.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 31
An issue not discussed is the ability to enter countries with live plants onboard. A lot of restrictions out there, some ports worse than others. We experienced this when entering Canadian waters and then again coming back into US waters. I suspect we will see this as we continue South through Mexico towards the Canal.

I agree that herbs could be doable. I have never grown plants on a boat, but I did carry a potted basil plant around in a campervan for the better part of a year (put it outside at stops). Just that bit of fresh basil could transform a meal (that consisted of camperish food otherwise).

You might enjoy reading "Sailing the Farm." The writer basically covers the "homestead" concept on a sailboat (in the 70's, naturally).

A big garden. I think moisture and mold could be a problem in the v-berth, but then I mostly boated in damp places (it just worked out that way). I also didn't have fresh water to just grab (was in salt water).

I agree that herbs could be doable. I have never grown plants on a boat, but I did carry a potted basil plant around in a campervan for the better part of a year (put it outside at stops). Just that bit of fresh basil could transform a meal (that consisted of camperish food otherwise).

You might enjoy reading "Sailing the Farm." The writer basically covers the "homestead" concept on a sailboat (in the 70's, naturally).

A big garden. I think moisture and mold could be a problem in the v-berth, but then I mostly boated in damp places (it just worked out that way). I also didn't have fresh water to just grab (was in salt water).

We grow sprouts. Easy and extends our time off the grid. Lots of trays, containers and seeds available on line. Not the same as a good tomato, but broccoli sprouts are decent.

We grow sprouts. Easy and extends our time off the grid. Lots of trays, containers and seeds available on line. Not the same as a good tomato, but broccoli sprouts are decent.
We LOVE sprouts! Great idea! And sprouts, I believe, are very high in nutrients. They grow/regenerate very quickly, too, don’t they? How much space would be required for 2 people to have a never ending supply of sprouts?

Last edited:
I bought Sian an AeroGarden last Christmas with the idea that we would kick it off at home and then it would be well under way with lettuce, cherry tomatoes, herbs etc. while we cruised.

This is the first crop after about four or five weeks.

Unfortunately we never got to do the big cruise this year so can't report on how it went. It did very well at home and in fact she transplanted the tomatoes into garden pots when they started getting flowers and we had months of fruit.

One thing, the light is very bright, though it does turn off at night. So some screen would be required if putting it in a living space.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1599494891415.jpg
    FB_IMG_1599494891415.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 31
Fresh basil is delightful - especially in the hands of a really good cook (which my wife absolutely is!) An herb garden will definitely be essential for us, with basil and tarragon at the top of the list.
Sounds cool! Thanks for the suggestion!
I think moisture and mold could be a problem in the v-berth, but then I mostly boated in damp places (it just worked out that way). I also didn't have fresh water to just grab (was in salt water).
We’re definitely going to have a watermaker, so no issues with fresh water supply. Mold is something I didn’t think about. Maybe one of those silica/desiccant dehumidifiers could help...

Fresh basil is delightful - especially in the hands of a really good cook (which my wife absolutely is!) An herb garden will definitely be essential for us, with basil and tarragon at the top of the list.
Sounds cool! Thanks for the suggestion!
We’re definitely going to have a watermaker, so no issues with fresh water supply. Mold is something I didn’t think about. Maybe one of those silica/desiccant dehumidifiers could help...

Or leave the AC running.

I bought Sian an AeroGarden last Christmas with the idea that we would kick it off at home and then it would be well under way with lettuce, cherry tomatoes, herbs etc. while we cruised.

This is the first crop after about four or five weeks.

Unfortunately we never got to do the big cruise this year so can't report on how it went. It did very well at home and in fact she transplanted the tomatoes into garden pots when they started getting flowers and we had months of fruit.

One thing, the light is very bright, though it does turn off at night. So some screen would be required if putting it in a living space.
Thanks for posting this! This was more or less what I was thinking of - you could line one of the V-berth bunks with 3 or 4 of these, water them with a drip system on a timer, and put the lights on a timer as well. We’d just keep the door to the V-berth closed, so no issues there.

Are these soil-based? How worried are you about having a big mess to clean up if the seas get rowdy?

Donny, sleep among various pots and dirt might upset your guests?
Guests will sleep on a futon couch in the salon which I think will be more comfortable anyway, we’ll want to have a plan for temporarily converting the v-berth back to sleeping quarters in case we have more than 2 guests at the same time... maybe move the garden to the dinette temporarily...

Thanks for posting this! This was more or less what I was thinking of - you could line one of the V-berth bunks with 3 or 4 of these, water them with a drip system on a timer, and put the lights on a timer as well. We’d just keep the door to the V-berth closed, so no issues there.

Are these soil-based? How worried are you about having a big mess to clean up if the seas get rowdy?

Individual pods in slots.

Attachments

• 51sGH5q+KOL._AC_SY400_.jpg
    51sGH5q+KOL._AC_SY400_.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 20
Ted, if frugality is the goal, I would agree with you. If frugality in general is the goal, I wouldn't own a boat.
:thumb:
I wonder whether enough volume can be had in a v-berth can be had to satisfy that goal.
That’s what I’m wondering as well (and was hoping someone would respond with some empirical evidence on the subject).
I grow tomatoes and basil hydroponically. Herbs do very well this way. We use a LOT of basil and we always have plenty. The tomatoes, well, jury still out but am very hopeful as I now have lots of blossoms.
Cool! Please keep me posted on this. And I’d love to hear more about your hydroponics setup.

Thanks for this! I wonder if this might be adaptable for growing garlic and onions - 2 staples for us. Might not be necessary since they both store really well and we could just stock up periodically. Green onions, though...
We have had some excellent success with growing herbs on the boat, while traveling. I am not optimistic your plan to grow vegetables will work, unless you are stationary and have lots of deck space to devote to it.

We use a set of "nested" dishpans from Ikea. We drill holes for drainage in the bottom of the pan we plant the herbs in and then set that in the second dishpan, on top of a few large-ish pebbles. This is all to help with drainage. The end result, is no dirty water draining on your deck :)

This only turned out to be a successful endeavor once we discovered that most herbs don't like gale-force winds and salt air/spray. The remedy is to bring the herbs inside when the weather is like this.

We can get about 6 herb plants in one dishpan. Typically, 2 Italian basil, Cilantro, Parsley, Thai basil and Tarragon.

The bottom of the dishpan has something like "feet" that really help keep it from sliding around on the aft teak deck.

An issue not discussed is the ability to enter countries with live plants onboard. A lot of restrictions out there, some ports worse than others. We experienced this when entering Canadian waters and then again coming back into US waters. I suspect we will see this as we continue South through Mexico towards the Canal.
Now that’s something that wouldn’t have occurred to me. I imagine we’ll spend a good long time cruising both sides of the Baja peninsula (in a Mexican-registered boat)... so, coming north to CA or going south to Belize or Costa Rica could mean what? Trashing all our plants?

My tomb stone shall read, "Did not eat his vegetables"

Back
Top Bottom