Galley Appliances - High Value

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Don't the newer Instant Pots also do sous vide? We have an older one that works fine on the boat as a pressure cooker, slow cooker and rice cooker. At home we have a high end rice cooker that we use, but can't justify the space on our smaller boat.

Size and space count , pots and pans should nest, even if you have to toss the current set.

Wifey B: Hello Ms. Squirmy (thought.....what is a female squirmy....a squirmette? ok back on track). :rofl:

Instant Pot and Ninja that includes air fryer together will cover most everything except grilling. They make a Ninja grill but I've seen people use it and their reviews and not for me.

Now, must have grills. Perhaps lots of them. We like our electric grills. Now you should have grills on upper and lower decks and if your outdoor grills aren't enough, then I recommend for your kitchen you add a Tfal Optigrill (also same grill under Krups label). We have one of those on our baby boat.

Note if you're going to an electric grill. For top performance it must be 240, not 120. 120 will do ok, but 240 grills will do even better. :)

You take those items and your oven and stove top and your microwave and you have a full, real kitchen. Induction is nice but not essential. :)

Hi All - I've been on the Magic Carpet since September, moved from Port Ludlow to John Wayne Marina (Sequim) with a permitted live aboard. As lovely as Port Ludlow is, and the staff are wonderful, JWM is a bit more live aboard friendly with laundry, shower facilities. Plus with two dogs, nice run abouts for the 4-6 walks a day.

Well that shows how much we've been paying attention. We didn't even notice you were gone! When did you move to Sequim?

The Ninja Tender Crisper works some what like a grill for small portions...in the sense it browns but not flame sears or adds smoke flavor.

I too enjoy cooking aboard and have often entertained.

1. Coffee. Aeropress. It's a mini 1-cup French Press. Works better than a French Press and is easier to clean-up and store. Would NOT work for a crowd, but would work for times when a single guest will have coffee.

2. Range. A good friend just installed a 3-burner Dometic RV stove on his Roughwater 37. He likes it a lot. Less than $400 vs $1000+ for Force 10. I noticed trend with sailboat cruisers is lots of solar and induction cooktops which work well and are fantastically energy efficient.

3. Instant Pot. I used to have a slow-cooker and a pressure cooker aboard. No more - ditched those and now have a small size Instant Pot.

4. Tin Foil Trays from Costco. When I did entertain, I would buy the tin foil lasagna trays from Costco. They fit perfectly in a small oven or the Breville SmartOven (large toaster oven). Instead of lasagna, try baked ziti (no need to pre-cook pasta). Other dishes include shepherds pie, baked beans, chicken cacciatore, and others. Pick-up a copy of "Dump Dinners" for your Kindle. Some recipes are junk, but there are a few nuggets of no-prep meals that are pretty good.

5. The Blackstone. For Weebles 2.0 (refit), I am not going to have a BBQ grill. I am replacing with a Blackstone 22-inch griddle. You can cook anything except chicken soup on this thing, and it's easier to clean, and incredibly easy on propane. And it keeps smells and grease out of the galley.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Blacksto...ith-Hood-Legs-and-Bulk-Adapter-Hose/179647360

Are you thinking of rail mounting the Blackstone? Maybe building a platform for it?

I'll agree that a proper rice cooker makes far better rice. The instant pot is faster though. And on the boat, I'd save the space and live with the instant pot. At the house, it's no contest.

Someone (Sam?) told me that Insta-Pots are a great way to cook Dungeness crabs. Advantages include: cooks crab in 3-5 minutes, saves massive amount of space over typical PNW 20 gallon turkey boiler and propane flamethrower/burner. Disadvantages are limited capacity, cooks 1-2 crabs max at a time.

Anyway, I thought this was a cool idea so i though I would share it here.

pete

Someone (Sam?) told me that Insta-Pots are a great way to cook Dungeness crabs. Advantages include: cooks crab in 3-5 minutes, saves massive amount of space over typical PNW 20 gallon turkey boiler and propane flamethrower/burner. Disadvantages are limited capacity, cooks 1-2 crabs max at a time.

Anyway, I thought this was a cool idea so i though I would share it here.

pete

That is a great idea!

Beats toiling under the hot sun over a hot stove trying to avoid setting the boat on fire with the "flamethrower".

I like the flame thrower description.

Be careful...I have found some of the electric pressure cookers, insta pots, Ninjas say "pressure cook for 2 minutes".

Yep set the timer and 15 minutes later when the pressure actually builds, the countdown begins for 2 minutes.

So it took 17 minutes to cook the same thing I do on the stove in 20 minutes in a regular pot.

Be careful...I have found some of the electric pressure cookers, insta pots, Ninjas say "pressure cook for 2 minutes".

Yep set the timer and 15 minutes later when the pressure actually builds, the countdown begins for 2 minutes.

So it took 17 minutes to cook the same thing I do on the stove in 20 minutes in a regular pot.

Wifey B: With Pressure cookers you have time to build pressure and release. Still with many foods they save both time and prep. :)

Just pointing out the flaw in the advertising I experienced.....

Have been using pressure cookers since the 1970s.

Just pointing out the flaw in the advertising I experienced.....

Have been using pressure cookers since the 1970s.

Yes, they are great! Always were. Still are today!

Well that shows how much we've been paying attention. We didn't even notice you were gone! When did you move to Sequim?
Moved over to John Wayne Feb. 9th, in between storms. Still rockin' & rollin' last night winds in the marina gusting to 40, forecast is in for another tonight.

Back to topic & gosh, there are a lot of thinkin' cooks out there! I'll put $20K in the project plan to upgrade the Force 10 with an induction cooktop & a convection microwave oven. I can't/don't want to change the footprint of the galley, 98% of the time it's me, two border collies & a cat.

As far as outdoor cooking when the weather allows, I'm settled on a Cobb & a magma. It's when the weather doesn't allow & I'm galley-bound. I think the sous vide & the insta-pot---although someone suggested that a insta-pot also does a sous vide. Planning ahead & loading up the marine freezer. Next month, my sister, brother, his wife & two large nephews will be on the boat (nephews in sleeping bags on the fly bridge, brother & wife in the port state room, my sister & me comfy as squirms (that's for Wifey-B) in the V-berth.

Are you thinking of rail mounting the Blackstone? Maybe building a platform for it?

I am having railing around my top deck redone and reconfigured. I have a perfect place to create a frame that can support a plastic wood table top that I can set a Blackstone on. Not sure if I can fit a 22-inch or just the 17-inch single burner.

For those who have not had the pleasure of cooking on a Blackstone, it's an amazing appliance. Cooks anything a BBQ does and so much more - vast majority of restaurants cook steaks on a flat-top vs an open flame grate BBQ. It's much easier to keep clean than a BBQ, especially if you get a hood for it.

Peter

"Have been using pressure cookers since the 1970s."

The new ones are way better than the old aluminum units as they can be SS , and washed with seawater , no FW rinse required.

"Have been using pressure cookers since the 1970s."

The new ones are way better than the old aluminum units as they can be SS , and washed with seawater , no FW rinse required.
New pressure cookers are much, much better. As a guy who enjoys cooking and has lived at altitude for many years (Colorado cabin at 8500 ft elevation where water boils at around 190F), I've used them all. The electric pressure cookers like Instant Pot are another step up from the SS stove top pots. No futzing with holding temperature and timing

What's interesting is electric pressure cookers have been around for a while - I bought my first (Cuisinart) around 15 years ago from Costco. It wasn't until they were re-branded as "Instant Pot" that they really took off with mainstream users.

Peter.

The kitchen appliance I’d REALLY like to have is an ice cream maker. At least I would if you can make ice cream from long life milk. One of those that has its own cooling unit so I don’t need ice or salt. We run a generator for 3 to 6 hours a day for making water, cooking, charging inverter batteries, etc and I’d like to have some dessert once in a while.

Others have mentioned the Instant Pot and air fryers. I’ll add that Instant Pot makes a “mini” 3 quart version that is just as capable as the full size IP but is much smaller in volume and easier to store on a boat. We find it still makes enough for four to six servings.

Standard air fryers are also pretty bulky one trick ponys. Cuisinart makes a toaster/convection oven/air fryer combo unit that is taller but just a bit bigger footprint than a standard toaster oven (16x12x13). Not something you’d want to move a lot but arguably more versatile in the same space as a small microwave.

Finally, an immersion stick blender takes up very little space and is quite handy.

As you said grilling is big in the summer, get a sous vide and a small cooler that will hold a dozen pints. Use the cooler to do the sous vide in. With the low powered BBQ that most boats have you will find the sous vide is the best money spent when grilling for a larger group on the boat

I feel y’all pain when it comes to entertaining. We went from a Defever 44 to a Back Cove 33 so storage as well as available appliances are at a minimum. Storage we somewhat fixed with come strategic access ports and a Yeti in the cockpit. But as for the appliances I have a 2 burner propane stove (formerly electric) with double tanks and a microwave. Coffee pot, frothier, waffle iron, toaster, a couple of loathe soup, stew pots, frying pans. My dream appliance is a Breville microwave/convection oven/toaster/ air fryer/ do everything but prepare it itself. They are certainly not cheap and I am wrestling with where to put it. I may eliminate a drawer and off the microwave which would give me an all purpose appliance. We are used to entertaining larger crowds, so it’s been challenge to what we serve. The grill is always an option. And my soup pan is large enough to serve probably 12. But I tend to do more cold things, desserts that don’t require cooking or refrigeration. I keep a book with no cook recipes and lots of condiments, crackers, olives, pickles, on board. The other good thing I discovered is get 2 salad bowls. Mix whatever in the top one, ice in the bottom. Seal with Saran Wrap. Leave on table. Frees op Frig space. I discovered if I later food in the very deep pan I can cook several things without mixing them. Seal each one in foil or those crockpot liner bags and put them all in the deep soup pan with a little water. Those steam in the bag vegis are great, microwave several at a time. It’s all a creative game, to serve enough, but interesting food. Add plenty of libations. I tried frying but it was too time consuming and I ran out of places to prepare and keep them hot.

my kitchen has a 2 pit induction cook plate, micro wave oven which can also grill, and a nice BBQ
I can steam on the bookplate, great for dumpling, I can use the same strainers for spaghetti.
Most chefs don't have tons of kitchen stuff..........

Yes all except the BBQ on electric, NO propane.
1700 W solar panels
20 KW Li Batteries

THE MOST IMPORTANT APPLIANCE TO HAVE: For entertaining, having friends and family over, this is with out a doubt an ICE MAKER.

My top three are

1. COOK-AIR BBQ. this thing is a forced air blast furnace. I have measured over 900 degrees at the grill. Best Maillard reaction ever, and super fast to ignite and cook. Base is isolated from firepit, stays totally cool. Keep Adding hardwood maplewood or mesquite chunks from Home Depot bbq section, and cook for as long as you want or need.

2. Sous vide wand....use with existing big pots

3. Air fryer. Great fries, potato chips, veggies, spatchcocked cornish hens, steaks, chops, muffins....very versatile

Bon Appetit!

Attachments

• 20200214_195925.jpg
    20200214_195925.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 66
+1 for the Instant Pot - we have the small one and it works for up to six folks on some recipes.

Kitchen

Get rid of all those kitchen toys. All you need is a propane cooktop with oven, outdoor grill (prefer propane) a toaster for breakfast, a microwave and one other appliance of your choice (instapot, slow cooker, air fryer, etc.)

Beyond that you will need one large and one small skillet. One large and one small pan. The big one for sweet corn, spaghetti, etc. A baking dish or two.

Keep it simple,

pete
Agree we have the same and can do most what we want to do.

"Get rid of all those kitchen toys. All you need is a propane cooktop with oven, outdoor grill (prefer propane) a toaster for breakfast, a microwave and one other appliance of your choice (instapot, slow cooker, air fryer, etc.)

Beyond that you will need one large and one small skillet. One large and one small pan. The big one for sweet corn, spaghetti, etc. A baking dish or two.

Keep it simple,

pete"

i am with Pete...but do have ice machine!

If I could separate the wheat from the chafe....
On our Back Cove 33 there is NO oven. Hence the need for a few “toys” to continue life as I know it aboard. It would be helpful to know what toys people have with and without an o en. Makes a big difference. As I mentioned we only have a propane cooktop and a small microwave. Since we have solar panels I can support those other items that I need to cook for a group.

I rarely use the oven. I’ll use the grill or stovetop. You might want to consider a Dutch oven. You can cook nearly anything an oven can including cakes, cookies, pizza.

Back
Top Bottom