Old 03-09-2020, 08:26 AM   #101
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
My Scottish grandmother who lived in FL with my grandfather would say, 'The Canadians would squeeze a nickel till the buffalo shit.' and also, 'The Canadians would come to FL with a shirt and a five dollar bill. They would return to Canada with the same shirt and the same 5 dollar bill.' She was a joy to be around, lots of Catholic jokes even though she was Catholic. She was very short and when she would drive the car, from behind it looked like the car was driverless. She would look under the top of the steering wheel. She would say, it everyone paid attention to where they were going, we would not need review mirrors. LOL She never used the review mirror.
I'm done. Returning you to the program, already in progress.
Old 03-11-2020, 09:33 AM   #102
Guru

City: NARBONNE
Vessel Name: 'Snow Mouse.'
Vessel Model: BROOM FLYBRIDGE 42.
Dan I know what you mean about the Scots, it's why they have small sporrans !
When I was in the Army we reckoned the Scots were that tight they wouldn't waste a bullet so the charged with bayonets.
All joking aside there are great bunch and make solid friends you can rely on through thick and thin.
Irish Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 02:15 PM   #103
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Rambler View Post
Dan I know what you mean about the Scots, it's why they have small sporrans !
When I was in the Army we reckoned the Scots were that tight they wouldn't waste a bullet so the charged with bayonets.
All joking aside there are great bunch and make solid friends you can rely on through thick and thin.
I am told, because my mother maiden was Dickson, I can wear a kilt..... Alas, I have grown accustom to wearing underwear so I might be thrown out of the "Kilt wearing club". SHRUG
Old 03-12-2020, 02:21 AM   #104
Guru

I think you'll be safe enough now Dan, I think 99.9% wear underwear now, except for the few AC/DC weirdo's. Having said that I don't go round checking !
I remember watching Scottish recruits forming up to go on parade and the Sergeant Major had a small mirror clipped on the end of his walking stick checking.
The Dickson family name is quite common in Northern Ireland too.
Old 03-12-2020, 06:21 AM   #105
Guru

Quote:
I think you'll be safe enough now Dan, I think 99.9% wear underwear now, except for the few AC/DC weirdo's. Having said that I don't go round checking !
I remember watching Scottish recruits forming up to go on parade and the Sergeant Major had a small mirror clipped on the end of his walking stick checking.
The Dickson family name is quite common in Northern Ireland too.
I recall seeing a picture of the Queen sitting all prim and proper.... her guard sitting around her, almost like a class picture. Sure enough, front row, near the queen.... man spread, didn't push his kilt down..... Ah yup, displaying all his glory. LOL

This branch of the Dickson ..... great grandfather was a coal merchant in Edinburg.
Old 03-12-2020, 11:05 AM   #106
Guru

Dan it could've been his Sporran dangling !
But the military rigidly stick to the rules on dress, or in his case undress.
I doubt there's even a coal merchant now as the green lobby have gone ott but if you were out in the country they still burn the peat and logs. Makes great toast :-)
I used to boat on Northern Irelands Lough Erne and the local ships Chandlers were Dickson's, nice family and very obliging.
Old 03-12-2020, 11:11 AM   #107
Guru

Quote:
Dan it could've been his Sporran dangling !
But the military rigidly stick to the rules on dress, or in his case undress.
I doubt there's even a coal merchant now as the green lobby have gone ott but if you were out in the country they still burn the peat and logs. Makes great toast :-)
I used to boat on Northern Irelands Lough Erne and the local ships Chandlers were Dickson's, nice family and very obliging.
This was over 150 years ago.
Old 03-18-2020, 07:12 PM   #108
Veteran Member

City: St Augustine
Vessel Name: MV Moondance
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 35#20
dsmangan, great thread. My wife and I are in your same shoes. My advise is to listen to all these guys but make your own decisions. We have similar plans and were guided towards the boats that fit our requirements. We are 4 years out from our dream and we encourage you to continue dreaming and working towards it.

This group has given us great advise and contacts that will assist us with our dream. We hope you achieve yours. Don't let anyone say you can't.

"If you can imagine it, then it is real"
- Picasso

Carol & John
N35 #20 MV Moondance
Magneto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 10:39 PM   #109
Veteran Member

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Angelena
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 32-309
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmangan View Post
My wife and I are planning on retiring in a little over 4 years. As of yet we do not have a boat and my boating experience is on lakes. I am currently taking different courses on boating and plan on taking the Captains course for the knowledge. My plans:

1) Get boat about 45 to 60 foot
A) Dual Diesel engines, Inboard
B) Generator (Diesel) large enough to run all boats electrical when needed
C) 2 State rooms (teenage daughter will be going with us)
D) Fly Bridge (Looking at Hatteras type of boats)
E) Wife likes the older wooden boats, I like more modern

2) Trips planned
A) Alaska
B) Panama Canal
C) Bahamas
D) Lake Superior (More kids live here)
E) Having fun until health says to stop. Hopefully 3 to 5 years from start.

Any help or advise is greatly appreciated. I am trying to do my research now so we can relax and enjoy later. Broad question I know, that is how much I need to learn, please help me.
Check out the Hatters 42 LRC
Willin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 01:16 AM   #110
Guru

Hello Willin and welcome to Trawler Forum.
Buying a boat can be many things to many people and the type of boat depends on several main factors.
1, where do you plan to cruise=hull shape.
2, how long do you plan to cruise=size.
3, what type of person are you ?
The first is pretty straight forward, the second is a factor on your everyday comfort and the 3rd is a can of worms !
Us humans come in many shapes and sizes and mental abilities, (hereditary) upbringing(training) and outlook (education).
Some guys like to be flash speed merchants which means deep pockets and a diminishing bank account. Some are quiet unassuming family men who simply approach their cruising in a calm calculated safe manner.
Others are gadget men who spend all their time tinkering, yet others have no sense at all and are a danger to themselves, their family and others around them.

I'm the first to realise I'm different as being from Ireland I first started cruising on its lakes, rivers and a summer 'holiday' when I took my then boat by truck to the Irish sea so I gained an all round approach to life on the water. I designed and had built my own 38' cabin cruiser and learnt a lot along the way.
I had cabins built for my 2 children and as they grew up and diverged into their own lives I discovered I had 2 unused cabins. Lesson learned, the kids don't necessarily share your enthusiasm when the novelties worn off and testosterone kicks in, so don't make any permanent plans for the kids on board, don't worry if they prefer not to come, the money will keep them in touch.
As well as your day dream planning (don't worry we all do it) when your studying your skippers ticket take in diesel maintenance and meteorology.
In todays instant digital society we get so used to having information 'on tap' but study the weather the old fashioned way. Instead of looking at a screen study the patterns in the sky so you learn an extra 'sense' (it also helps you to choose your winter moorings for comfort).
You have a God given wonderful opportunity in front of you and I wish you every happiness, if I were on your side of the pond I'd be looking at the Hatteras 42 LRC as long (as it could do the great loop).
Now there's a journey that's on my bucket list !
Forgive my rambling on, others who've done as you plan to do with 'local' knowledge will be more objective and helpful. Learn from them.
I wish you the very best of health, happiness and Irish luck to follow your dream, go for it !.
If you you'd like to read of our journeys in Europe if you look on Amazon and search for 'How to Cruise Into Retirement' 'Encore' and Windmills and Wine' by Geoff Woolley it will give you an insight as to how I approached, 'Living my dream'.
Old 06-05-2020, 04:24 PM   #111

City: Croton on Hudson
Hi, I am a newbie in this forum - just joined 2 days ago. Prior to joining this group, I did read through a lot of threads over the past couple months after discovering this forum through google search.

I am interested in the liveaboard life style 5-7 years before retirement while both of us still work full time. Neither of us have any experience of boating. My knowledge is principal only and only based on internet research and the forum discussion like here. My thought process is to get a boat while holding a full-time job and can obtain needed loan as well as pay the loan off before retirement. Plan to improve/fix/upgrade the dockside condo and learn/practice the operating/maintenance skills/knowledge during the 5-7 liveaboard pre-retirement period. After retirement, we will love to land hopping around the world - shorter voyage than ocean crossing but may do couple crossing if needed. ***I initially was looking into the World Cruise as my bucket list but was not satisfied of the port selection. The bucket list changed to World Sailing and then the choice of boat changed to trawler with consideration of age and physical capability - of course, comfort too.

My budget is based on the housing budget - initial purchase price at $250K the most. Plan to put $100K as the down payment and rests on loan (based on the estimated house sale proceeding) but leave $50K for any needed immediate fix/retrofit/update to make it livable. I've checked the slip fee and it is roughly the same as the amount I will pay for HOA around my area - NY metro area. My minimum living space consideration (B requirements as mentioned in the previous threads) are: a well-protected aft entry due to the relative long winter/snow condition, enough hanging space for work business clothing, separate washer and dryer preferably but OK for vented combo, livable galley space and with the possibility of retro-fit a small dishwasher, 2 heads or 1.5 as minimum, and good saloon space/layout to put in recliners as well as direct across TV location (no turning neck to watch TV). In terms of requirement A, as a cruising boat, I will like to see a good fuel millage to keep the operating/travel cost down. We are planning to get diesel engine maintenance training to take on some basic tasks to save $ but leave major job for professional. Do not want a fix-upper since we have no skills for it.

My initial research led me to Norhavn 40 with the hope the price may drop to my budget in the next 5-7 years. N40 is livable with some conversion to make the bunk area to wardrobe but miss the second head and therefore can be a challenge for our morning rush hours - both have to get ready for work on top of each other. However, I later discovered Defever 44 and 49, whose current listed prices are in low $300K in comparison to low $400K of N40. Both Defever fullfill my criteria B, but I am concerned of their fuel efficiency due to twin engines - pls give me some idea on its fuel consumption if possible. In addition, Defer aft deck version has tendentious outdoor hangout space for the deck living. N40 has very tiny outdoor space.

Since there will be 5 to 7 years before taking off, I am wondering if it makes sense to get a starter boat first (any suggestion on a model at current pricing of $150K to $200K range? If starter boat, I will like to lower the budget to offset future transaction costs) and later get an ocean crossing passagemaker, like N40 or even N43 (out of my range now)? Or, go with Defever to be able to live on boat comfortably now but with less ocean crossing capability? I am sure Defever can bring me to a lot of places, but may not Atlanta crossing. Any thought on this Alternate approach of Defever 44/49? For sure, it will limit how I travel for this alternate approach.

Lastly, can anyone give me a monthly budget for all consumable maintenance - oil change, filter,... etc and a list if possible? Additionally, what will be the expected repair/replacement cost due to wear and tear? My understanding is that engine, generator, water maker,.... all have life span and I will like to plan and come up with a realistic budget for these purpose.

Thanks everyone. Stay safe.
Wonder Around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 08:44 PM   #112
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Not every one likes boating. Then not every boater can handle the liveaboard life style. Boats move around even at the dock, this is very disconcerting for many. Boats rock n roll and they don’t go exactly were you point them. Before you get to caught up in the liveaboard dream you need to go do some boating.

Boats are small. There is no room for normal things in life like bicycles, sewing machines, tennis rackets and so on. It takes real effort to live a minimalist life style that a boat requires.

Boats have a limited amount of Amperage available. This is one of the reason many use diesel heat systems.

Boat system are often complex and maintenance intensive. If one can save a lot of money if they are capable of performing their own maintenance.

Costs is a tricky thing. Some people buy old tired boats, never perform any maintenance, never leave the dock and live fairly cheaply. Of course when it comes time to sell, they usually have to give the boat away. Others spend as munc as 25% of the boats purchase price on maintenance. A good rule of thumb is 10% of the purchase price but this number varies between boaters.

Then there is the issue of liveaboard moorage. Many marinas don’t want liveaboards for many reasons. You need to research the availability of liveaboard moorage before you buy a boat.
tiltrider1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 11:20 PM   #113
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
Most women don't like living on boats. Some do like the life, but they're rare. It's more work. Everything has to be transported across a dock, rain shine, or snow. If you don't have laundry on board, and your marina doesn't have laundry, then you lose a day a week doing the washing. The galley, refrigerator, stove and oven will be smaller than you're used to. On most boats there is little storage, most marinas have no off the boat storage, and many have poor parking. In cold areas, the water may be off during freezing weather.

Since you have time, learn the maintenance. Change the oil and filter on your car. There's lots of books on boat maintenance and repair. Read some. A handy person can greatly reduce maintenance costs. Staying in fresh water can triple the time between haulouts. It also keeps most things from growing in the raw water system.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 04:46 AM   #114
Guru

Take all the boating courses you can find..... line handling, maneuvering in tight spaces, docking and undocking, navigation with and without a chart plotter. When you have settled on a brand of boat, take courses on engine maintenances.
Charter the boats on your “possibility list”. And and and
Old 06-06-2020, 05:00 AM   #115
Guru

Take all the boating courses you can find..... line handling, maneuvering in tight spaces, docking and undocking, navigation with and without a chart plotter. When you have settled on a brand of boat, take courses on engine maintenances.
Charter the boats on your “possibility list”. And and and
Old 06-07-2020, 10:00 PM   #116
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Wifey B: Slight change to other comments. Both you and wife take courses. You're talking about both of you living aboard. You need to be equal partners from the outset. Choose together. Now some will say it's important both learn for safety and that's true. I'm going to toss in something else. By being a captain (and I'm not suggesting either of you needs to be a licensed captain) I understand what the boat can handle and I understand how to handle different conditions and when not to go. Knowledge builds confidence and comfort.

And as to charter, do as much as you can, even if it means delaying your purchase. Even after spending a week on a boat, you still won't be liveaboard prepared but a lot more than you are now. Simple things like using showers on boats can be enough to make living aboard when working not enjoyable. I know you start telling me to limit shower frequency or time and no way. Then laundry. I'm not going to haul it off to laundromats. Many years beyond doing that. I think back to when hubby was a CEO and I was a teacher and I don't see us doing that from a boat. Do either of you travel in your jobs? Do either of you have odd job hours? Many liveaboard people wear fewer different clothes in a week to reduce laundry, but working people can't. Many liveaboards take fewer showers, wash their hair less frequently, but working people can't. If we were still working, only way I'd live on a boat in the range you're talking is if I got to cruise regularly on it. I'd live full time if I got to cruise 3 months a year, but if I didn't benefit from living on a boat I wouldn't. A 50' boat is less accommodating to a working couple, than a two bedroom apartment. Now, in the NY area it may be a good financial move.

You're about to make a huge move and you really need to learn much more to know if it's for you. Get beyond the romance to the daily grind.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 05:14 PM   #117
Guru

City: Friday Harbor, WA USA
Vessel Name: FORTITUDE
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 54-8
Hey there Wonder Around, welcome! We just went through this ourselves moving from land to sea. In our case we did it in two steps (starter trawler) and last Fall sold that boat, the house and moved aboard our current boat which we are currently refitting (mostly DIY) with the goal of untying the lines in a few years.

A few comments below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonder Around View Post
***I initially was looking into the World Cruise as my bucket list but was not satisfied of the port selection. The bucket list changed to World Sailing and then the choice of boat changed to trawler with consideration of age and physical capability - of course, comfort too.
This goal combined with your stated budget will dramatically reduce the number of boats suitable for your mission. It certainly did for us. We wanted a vessel that was capable of crossing (even if we never did it) but was also livable and comfortable the other 99% of the time.

If you focus on some of the older, proven passage-makers however you can find boats that meet your needs. Nordhavn 46, Kadey Krogen 42 and 39 for example. All at or under $300K, all proven passage-makers with the 39's as the newest of the bunch.

Quote:
My budget is based on the housing budget - initial purchase price at $250K the most. Plan to put $100K as the down payment and rests on loan (based on the estimated house sale proceeding) but leave $50K for any needed immediate fix/retrofit/update to make it livable. Do not want a fix-upper since we have no skills for it.
Spend time now learning about engines, systems, maintenance. You need to know how to repair and maintain things. It reduces your operating costs significantly and when things break in the middle of a trip, you know how to fix it and keep the trip going.

Quote:
My initial research led me to Norhavn 40 with the hope the price may drop to my budget in the next 5-7 years. N40 is livable with some conversion to make the bunk area to wardrobe but miss the second head and therefore can be a challenge for our morning rush hours - both have to get ready for work on top of each other. However, I later discovered Defever 44 and 49, whose current listed prices are in low $300K in comparison to low $400K of N40. Both Defever fullfill my criteria B, but I am concerned of their fuel efficiency due to twin engines - pls give me some idea on its fuel consumption if possible. In addition, Defer aft deck version has tendentious outdoor hangout space for the deck living. N40 has very tiny outdoor space.
You'll find the N40s are a bit small inside and have limited outdoor space. We thought the same and gravitated toward Kadey Krogens for that reason.

Quote:
Since there will be 5 to 7 years before taking off, I am wondering if it makes sense to get a starter boat first (any suggestion on a model at current pricing of $150K to $200K range? If starter boat, I will like to lower the budget to offset future transaction costs) and later get an ocean crossing passagemaker, like N40 or even N43 (out of my range now)? Or, go with Defever to be able to live on boat comfortably now but with less ocean crossing capability? I am sure Defever can bring me to a lot of places, but may not Atlanta crossing. Any thought on this Alternate approach of Defever 44/49? For sure, it will limit how I travel for this alternate approach.
We did. We bought a 40' "starter trawler" and cruised her for two years. We also refit her, repaired her, brought her up to speed on deferred maintenance which did three things for us:

1. We were hooked. We knew we could do this even when things looked bleak.
2. We learned how to be better boaters, better mechanics, better navigators, etc.
3. We knew what to look for when it was time to take the big plunge.

A lot of people tell you to buy the second boat first, but really don't think that's possible for most of us. Getting on the water, learning the boat, the systems, what you want, need, don't like, etc. and then comparing to other boats you'll see. It all goes into your filters for "the boat".

Quote:
Lastly, can anyone give me a monthly budget for all consumable maintenance - oil change, filter,... etc and a list if possible? Additionally, what will be the expected repair/replacement cost due to wear and tear? My understanding is that engine, generator, water maker,.... all have life span and I will like to plan and come up with a realistic budget for these purpose.
Really dependent on condition and how much DIY you can do. The general rule is to plan 10% of purchase for yearly expenses. I think that's reasonable after a refit (year one will be higher) and for a boat in a marina all the time. Less if you're cruising and anchoring and DIYing all of your maintenance on a boat in good condition. Far higher for a basket case or if you hire out all of the maintenance.

Good luck and keep us posted. Remember, the search is part of the fun!
Airstream345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 05:15 PM   #118
Guru

City: Friday Harbor, WA USA
Vessel Name: FORTITUDE
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 54-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: Slight change to other comments. Both you and wife take courses. You're talking about both of you living aboard. You need to be equal partners from the outset. Choose together. Now some will say it's important both learn for safety and that's true. I'm going to toss in something else. By being a captain (and I'm not suggesting either of you needs to be a licensed captain) I understand what the boat can handle and I understand how to handle different conditions and when not to go. Knowledge builds confidence and comfort.

And as to charter, do as much as you can, even if it means delaying your purchase. Even after spending a week on a boat, you still won't be liveaboard prepared but a lot more than you are now. Simple things like using showers on boats can be enough to make living aboard when working not enjoyable. I know you start telling me to limit shower frequency or time and no way. Then laundry. I'm not going to haul it off to laundromats. Many years beyond doing that. I think back to when hubby was a CEO and I was a teacher and I don't see us doing that from a boat. Do either of you travel in your jobs? Do either of you have odd job hours? Many liveaboard people wear fewer different clothes in a week to reduce laundry, but working people can't. Many liveaboards take fewer showers, wash their hair less frequently, but working people can't. If we were still working, only way I'd live on a boat in the range you're talking is if I got to cruise regularly on it. I'd live full time if I got to cruise 3 months a year, but if I didn't benefit from living on a boat I wouldn't. A 50' boat is less accommodating to a working couple, than a two bedroom apartment. Now, in the NY area it may be a good financial move.

You're about to make a huge move and you really need to learn much more to know if it's for you. Get beyond the romance to the daily grind.
Also this. Excellent advice.
Airstream345 is offline   Reply With Quote