Old 09-26-2021, 03:01 PM   #1

City: Puget Sound
Vessel Name: Muirgen
Vessel Model: Beebe passagemaker 50
Opinions requested - Trash compactor vs cupboard space

So we are debating on taking out the trash compactor on the boat and put in more cupboard space in the galley. We've never had a trash compactor before.. so don't really have any opinon on whether or not it's good.
We used it a couple times since we have been on the boat, but it doesn't seem to really compact all the well. Don't know if that is because it's not working right or because that's all it does.
We'd really like to have one more cupboard space in the galley, but not sure if we will regret taking out the trash compactor.

Opinions and personal experience would be appreciated.
Old 09-26-2021, 03:07 PM   #2
Guru

City: Italy
Vessel Name: Didi Mau
Vessel Model: Currently looking for next boat
I loved ours. If you spend a lot of time at anchor it cuts down on having to store trash. If you are always at marinas, who cares...
Gordon J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 03:33 PM   #3
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
I have had one at my cabin for 30 years and like it (though I have plenty of cupboard space). Trash is a problem as are bears, so whatever we can do to reduce garbage is welcome (same as a boat....except for bears).

A couple tips. First, we don't put wet/fresh food in. We keep a small "compost bin" on the counter and empty it more frequently. Second, it doesn't really begin to compact that much until it's at least half full - it then compresses with enough force that it will often break a wine bottle. Finally, Costco has reasonably priced bags

If ours broke, we would replace it in a heartbeat. We go a full week of full time at-home on a single trash bag. While not thr same as a boat, I would think it pretty handy for cruising.

Good luck. Will be interested to know what you decide.

Peter.
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 03:57 PM   #4
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muirgen Afloat View Post
So we are debating on taking out the trash compactor on the boat and put in more cupboard space in the galley. We've never had a trash compactor before.. so don't really have any opinon on whether or not it's good.
We used it a couple times since we have been on the boat, but it doesn't seem to really compact all the well. Don't know if that is because it's not working right or because that's all it does.
We'd really like to have one more cupboard space in the galley, but not sure if we will regret taking out the trash compactor.

Opinions and personal experience would be appreciated.
It depends greatly on how you use it. We had one at home for years. Learned to never put wet or compostable trash in it, as you can't get rid of the smell. Other trash can be made small with the push of a button.
BUT
If you get into the habit of crushing your empties, from milk, water, other drinks, vegetable containers, etc, you can do as good a job without using up valuable interior space. You will be storing the compacted trash in outside lockers no matter whether they come out of a compactor or not, so once crushed, there is no further space saving.
When we renovated our home kitchen the compactor went, and we didn't miss it.
Old 09-26-2021, 04:46 PM   #5
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
3/4 of my garbage is recycle. I pulled the trash compactor and replaced it with a pull out drawer that had separate garbage and recycle bins. This makes my life easier.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 04:57 PM   #6
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
I sort for recycling as things get used. My actual trash can is a 5 gallon bucket. Usually fills in about a week. If I'm out for several weeks, full trash bags go in the lazarette. Find that sorting recyclables allows for nesting of like materials. I would much rather have the space a trash compactor takes up, but then I've never had one.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 04:57 PM   #7
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
We just take the tender ashore every couple of weeks and put a couple of bags in the nearest bins
Old 09-26-2021, 08:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
I have had one at my cabin for 30 years and like it (though I have plenty of cupboard space). Trash is a problem as are bears, so whatever we can do to reduce garbage is welcome (same as a boat....except for bears).

A couple tips. First, we don't put wet/fresh food in. We keep a small "compost bin" on the counter and empty it more frequently. Second, it doesn't really begin to compact that much until it's at least half full - it then compresses with enough force that it will often break a wine bottle. Finally, Costco has reasonably priced bags

If ours broke, we would replace it in a heartbeat. We go a full week of full time at-home on a single trash bag. While not thr same as a boat, I would think it pretty handy for cruising.

Peter.
I have thought about compost. I am wondering if we didn't do it right or ours is not working right, because it didn't seem to compress much.
Old 09-26-2021, 08:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post

Peter.
I'm thinking ours is not working right, because it didn't seem to compress that much. Will do some more research both deciding..
Old 09-26-2021, 08:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver View Post
It depends greatly on how you use it. We had one at home for years. Learned to never put wet or compostable trash in it, as you can't get rid of the smell. Other trash can be made small with the push of a button.
BUT
If you get into the habit of crushing your empties, from milk, water, other drinks, vegetable containers, etc, you can do as good a job without using up valuable interior space. You will be storing the compacted trash in outside lockers no matter whether they come out of a compactor or not, so once crushed, there is no further space saving.
When we renovated our home kitchen the compactor went, and we didn't miss it.
I'm leaning this way.. I kind of want the space.
Old 09-26-2021, 08:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltrider1 View Post
3/4 of my garbage is recycle. I pulled the trash compactor and replaced it with a pull out drawer that had separate garbage and recycle bins. This makes my life easier.
We are checking into recycle stuff.. the marina we are currently in, doesn't have recycle available, but I think there is a dump we can go to. Will check it out.
Old 09-26-2021, 08:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
I sort for recycling as things get used. My actual trash can is a 5 gallon bucket. Usually fills in about a week. If I'm out for several weeks, full trash bags go in the lazarette. Find that sorting recyclables allows for nesting of like materials. I would much rather have the space a trash compactor takes up, but then I've never had one.

Ted
We've never had one before so am thinking we probably won't care. I kind of think the space would be more beneficial.
Old 09-26-2021, 08:10 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
We just take the tender ashore every couple of weeks and put a couple of bags in the nearest bins
Think this might be use too.. Love your tag line.
Old 09-26-2021, 08:19 PM   #14

City: Ft. Myers, FL.
Vessel Name: Chasing 80
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Constellation 460
Two things that came with our boat that I thought we'd never use were the dishwasher and compactor.

The dishwasher came out early on, found that it doesn't work well with paper plates. The space was perfect for a drawer freezer instead.

I gave the compactor a chance and now I wouldn't be without one. As long as we keep out stuff that was once alive we can go for a week or more on one bag. As others have said, it really doesn't start compacting until it's about 1/2 full. It's kinda like a game now to see how long I can make it last.

We keep a separate can in the saloon for recycling...give the compactor a chance!!
Spike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 05:09 AM   #15
Guru

City: Here and there
It seems the smaller the boat, the higher percentage of galley storage it takes up. For that reason, we opted not to get one, much rather have the storage space. We have two small trash bins under the sink, one for recycle. As the other is filled with regular trash, it goes in a larger garbage bag in the laz until we get to shore. We also try to cut down on trash coming aboard by repackaging food.
Porgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 09:16 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
Two things that came with our boat that I thought we'd never use were the dishwasher and compactor.

The dishwasher came out early on, found that it doesn't work well with paper plates. The space was perfect for a drawer freezer instead.

I gave the compactor a chance and now I wouldn't be without one. As long as we keep out stuff that was once alive we can go for a week or more on one bag. As others have said, it really doesn't start compacting until it's about 1/2 full. It's kinda like a game now to see how long I can make it last.

We keep a separate can in the saloon for recycling...give the compactor a chance!!
Thanks.. would love a drawer freezer.. though we just don't have the room. Will have to relook at the trash compactor. Not any hurry to change it out until we've done our research.
Old 09-27-2021, 09:17 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porgy View Post
It seems the smaller the boat, the higher percentage of galley storage it takes up. For that reason, we opted not to get one, much rather have the storage space. We have two small trash bins under the sink, one for recycle. As the other is filled with regular trash, it goes in a larger garbage bag in the laz until we get to shore. We also try to cut down on trash coming aboard by repackaging food.

Definitely plan on repacking food as much as possible. Packing takes up so much space.
Old 09-27-2021, 09:45 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
I have a trash smasher on the boat and really like that it can compact the volume of trash stored to something way less than 50%.

I'm looking at it right now and thinking what if? What if i removed it, what to put there?

Then I think that I need a trash can anyway, and where the compactor is makes a logical choice.

The reality is that the compactor takes up almost zero more space than a regular kitchen trash can that takes "tall kitchen" size garbage bags
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 09:50 AM   #19
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Sea Sanctuary
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
I have a trash smasher on the boat and really like that it can compact the volume of trash stored to something way less than 50%.

I'm looking at it right now and thinking what if? What if i removed it, what to put there?

Then I think that I need a trash can anyway, and where the compactor is makes a logical choice.

The reality is that the compactor takes up almost zero more space than a regular kitchen trash can that takes "tall kitchen" size garbage bags
I don't have a compactor. Oddly enough due to this thread I thought about where it could go and surmised that it would take the place of the waste catcher. Unless living on board I do not see the value in getting one. But if you already have one, keep it.
SteveK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 09:56 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soo-Valley View Post
I don't have a compactor. Oddly enough due to this thread I thought about where it could go and surmised that it would take the place of the waste catcher. Unless living on board I do not see the value in getting one. But if you already have one, keep it.
You are correct. In terms of value I would not modify a boat to put one in.

Conversely I would replace the one I have if/when it fails rather than modifying the cabinet space to account for it's removal.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote