Freezing Liveaboard in PNW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We live aboard in the PNW (Poulsbo to be precise) and have for 6 years now. We have a Hurricane hydronic furnace and it keeps the boat nice and toasty. Well, toasty for us any way, we keep it at 68°. We do not have the engines plumbed into the heating system but the hoses do run right between the engines so the ER is quite warm, even when the outside temp is well below freezing.

When the weather lady (my bride) sez it is gonna freeze I pump the holding tank and fill the water tanks. We have not had a freeze that extended longer than we could hold out. We do make sure to use the shore facilities when leaving and returning to the marina to extend the available capacities on the boat.

Marty..................

Only used the water maker once in the last 10 days, now I put a short hose on the spigot and let it dribble. So far it's working. But, next few days will get in the low 20s high teens.
Who would have thought in Portland it would get this cold. Shoveled the snow yesterday, about 10 inches, damn near slipped in the water this morning. Thank god for the hurricane heater.

Living in a winter Alaska is tough:D:D:whistling:
Al:hide:

Ketchikan Weather - AccuWeather Forecast for AK 99901

We live aboard in the PNW (Poulsbo to be precise) and have for 6 years now. We have a Hurricane hydronic furnace and it keeps the boat nice and toasty. Well, toasty for us any way, we keep it at 68°. We do not have the engines plumbed into the heating system but the hoses do run right between the engines so the ER is quite warm, even when the outside temp is well below freezing.

When the weather lady (my bride) sez it is gonna freeze I pump the holding tank and fill the water tanks. We have not had a freeze that extended longer than we could hold out. We do make sure to use the shore facilities when leaving and returning to the marina to extend the available capacities on the boat.

Marty..................

Everything we've read about Poulsbo makes us want to be in PNW sooner than later. Our home based in WA will be dictated chiefly by the wife's work location, but I'm hoping it's near Anacortes or Poulsbo.
How is life at the marina as a live aboard?
Is it possible to score a 45'-50' live aboard slip in this life time?
Thank you in advance for any information w=you can share.

Everything we've read about Poulsbo makes us want to be in PNW sooner than later. Our home based in WA will be dictated chiefly by the wife's work location, but I'm hoping it's near Anacortes or Poulsbo.

How is life at the marina as a live aboard?

Is it possible to score a 45'-50' live aboard slip in this life time?

Thank you in advance for any information w=you can share.

Poulsbo is a great place to visit by boat, one of our favorites. We spent Thanksgiving on the boat there this year. Seems like a great place to live aboard.

Here's what our marina looks like....
This pic was taken on 1/15
img_516563_0_cc144a1a284d6be6bec92812a8d85983.jpg

This was shot from a bridge, about 1/4 mile from my dock. My boat is the 4th one in from the left end, with the open water around it.
img_516563_1_c726b37f5726730f79baa024906d5e28.jpg

img_516563_2_704d50beee56c32f844198aa79275f03.jpg

I have a 3/4hp Kasco deicer pump running beneath the boat. Here's the wave action that keeps my slip (and the ones on either side of me) free of ice.
img_516563_3_ca272b5100431730a34e95ce08dc6839.jpg

In the Seattle area a boat that is properly equipped for coastal cruising should be able to go a couple of weeks without water power or pump out. I and many millions have done it while cruising on sail and power. If your boat is only equipped to sit on a dock with umbilical cords well you might have a problem. There is the motel solution.

Well the water here on the lower Columbia is a little high and muddy. Water Temp is 38f, so my reverse heating units are down until the water warms up. Using electric heat and I am told Bonneville Power Administration (BPA) had to fire up an addition turbine at the dam when I turned them puppies on!!!

Using electric heat and I am told Bonneville Power Administration (BPA) had to fire up an addition turbine at the dam when I turned them puppies on!!!
Yeah, they had to call The Donald for permission to fire up the extra turbine. He told them that "anything Tom wants, Tom gets!. To Hell with global warming."

The "priority must be

good insulation, for example a photo of the "window" taken this morning outside minus 8c° but as you can see the inside "heat" don't move outside who still frozen .
But the "window" at this place have a total thickness of 56 mm...

16 mm de plexi +2 X 4 mm glass et 32 mm air.

Attachments

• 100_1449.jpg
    100_1449.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 108
Here in Juneau they don't shut off the water in winter. The lines are under water and where they come up to the dock, they are in heated enclosure with freeze proof spigots. If they were to shut it off, I would simply make sure my water tanks were full first. We have several ways to heat the boat, most of which don't require shore power, but are diesel fired instead. We also isolate different parts of the boat were not using with insulating blankets in the door ways. We stay quite comfortable.

On the front of the wheelhouse we fix this : between two thickness of canvas a "multilayer film (in this case 13)

No more condensation or ice inside on the window or on the frame of them.

Attachments

• 100_1447.jpg
    100_1447.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 150
A friend of ours lives on his Hatteras full time in DC. He buys a roll of clear bubble wrap from an office supply or shipping place and then tapes it to all his windows. Lets the light in and provides some great insulation. His boat was warmer than my house!

It doesnt really get cold in the PNW , not sure 0F is seen often.

But the hassle of winter gear and muddy boots is a PIA everywhere.

Its really hard on guests that stop over for a quick warm up to pull boots off.

Our solution was to use bathroom carpet in the PH and galley .

It can be cut to fit with out unraveling and can be washed in a commercial washing machine, or even just taken into the marina shower for a slosh down.

They will dry ,,slowly,, even in freezing weather , given time.

Heater power

Just for information for keep the aft part of Hoa (wheelhouse+saloon/kitchen+aft-cabin/toilet, forepart closed by curtain) at an average temp of 13,5°C when outside is is -7,5°C,we need 2,5 kw.
The volume of the aft part is 95m3 ( + 6m3 of cupboard in the saloon).

Precision

Just for information for keep the aft part of Hoa (wheelhouse+saloon/kitchen+aft-cabin/toilet, forepart closed by curtain) at an average temp of 13,5°C when outside is is -7,5°C,we need 2,5 kw.
The volume of the aft part is 95m3 ( + 6m3 of cupboard in the saloon).

To be precise during the last night in the small village, not far from us, they registered - 12°C...but at this time we was under the blanket :whistling:

Back
Top Bottom