Old 01-15-2014, 08:48 AM   #21
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
My dog has hers on before we enter the marina. Even at 4 months old, it would be tough to pick her up out of the water without the handle.
Attached Images

AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:05 AM   #22
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Kelpie?
Old 01-15-2014, 10:27 AM   #23
Guru

Yep, mostly kelpie, but I'm thinking she may have a touch of border collie and maybe dingo in her as well. Picked her up from the dog shelter so its just a guess.
She's tries to round up the crashing surf when she's on the beach.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:51 PM   #24
Guru

City: Madeira Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
And a bit of advice regarding the life jacket for the pup: Make sure it has a wide webbing over the tummy. Some have just straps. Also make sure yours will swim to you. For those of us with 4 pound dogs a dip net is handy. I keep Skipper's shampoo by the galley sink so it's almost "routine" to fish her out, rinse off, then shampoo and thorough rinse. Leaving salt on the dog (or cat) is unsafe as they will lick it off. Rinse rinse rinse, and a shampoo helps too.

I bought netting from Defender's and put fender hooks up around both the doors in the pilothouse. When the doors are open the netting is up. She can launch herself up the steps and the side deck is narrow. Wet, well, Skipper is not her most attractive:

Old 01-15-2014, 07:39 PM   #25
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post
My dog has hers on before we enter the marina. Even at 4 months old, it would be tough to pick her up out of the water without the handle.
Definitely (mostly?) kelpie, and well picked RTF. Mind you, I once saw a red kelpie running about in Vancouver.
Auscan , I checked and confirmed, there are border collie type origins, and some dingo, in the kelpie line. From the picture she looks all kelpie to me. My last dog was a Shepherd/Kelpie,resembled a smaller Shepherd. They are smart intelligent companions, mine was. I miss her, after 5 months, every day.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:06 PM   #26
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
My last dog was a Shepherd/Kelpie,resembled a smaller Shepherd. They are smart intelligent companions, mine was. I miss her, after 5 months, every day.

Yes Bruce - almost too smart; and they sure do grow on you. Our last dog was half kelpie, half border collie. We had her for over 16 years and was part of the family. Impossible to replace, but the young pup is working at it.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:20 PM   #27
Guru

City: Tampa
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
One problem with an electric fence is that it won't stop the dog from being thrown overboard by a wake or wave. Netting and/or a leash are the best solutions. A DFD is also a good idea but a dog would likely be injured or at least too shocked to swim if he/she fell from a flybridge, especially if the dog hit the boat on the way down.

Most DFDs have built in handles. I wouldn't have one without it.
Yea, I think we ruled out the invisible fencing as a bad idea It was just a thought.

I'm not sure about a leash either though, unless you're going to keep it so short they can't leave the cabin.
Last thing I'd want, would be my canine friend dangling off the rail by a leash
Off Duty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:25 PM   #28
Guru

Another good point about the lifejacket on a dog is a leash can be connected to it, giving full body support. No chance of dangling by the neck in a bad situation.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:15 AM   #29
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Duty View Post
.............I'm not sure about a leash either though, unless you're going to keep it so short they can't leave the cabin.
Last thing I'd want, would be my canine friend dangling off the rail by a leash
I may not have expressed myself well on that. Our small dog is on a leash connected to a harness or DFD, not a collar when we are on the flybridge and the leash is kept short enough that she can't go overboard. Also, she is not left alone, someone is watching her at all times unless she is in the cabin and that's only when we leave the boat and can't take her with us.
Attached Thumbnails
08_08_13 049.jpg  
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 01:30 PM   #30
Guru

Quote:
I may not have expressed myself well on that. Our small dog is on a leash connected to a harness or DFD, not a collar when we are on the flybridge and the leash is kept short enough that she can't go overboard. Also, she is not left alone, someone is watching her at all times unless she is in the cabin and that's only when we leave the boat and can't take her with us.
Gotcha.
Sorry for the misunderstanding on my part.

Not used to having dogs on boats unless they're working dogs. Then they're on a short leash with their handlers.

Now there were a couple of ladies once....uh, never mind.....

OD
Old 01-16-2014, 08:13 PM   #31
Guru

That's a "working dog". She is checking for jet skis and will warn us if any approach.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:18 PM   #32
Guru

City: Beverly Hills
Pooch PFD's

We homeport on the Tennessee river and lock tenders require everyone have a PFD on when entering the lock. We use a tether setup and PFD for our dog. The PFD has top retrieval handles, it works better for the dog in the water than on deck as it restricts rounding corners for them.
Bill
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2620.JPG   IMG_2615.JPG  
HiDHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 05:38 AM   #33
Guru

Quote:
That's a "working dog". She is checking for jet skis and will warn us if any approach.
Gotcha!
Hey, working is working.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:45 AM   #34
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Troy, ready for action.
Attached Thumbnails
Boca Grande 3-11 022.jpg  
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:57 PM   #35
Guru

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Lucky Lucky
Vessel Model: Pacific Mariner 65
This reminds me of the time our now departed Standard Poodle decided to escape our house and ran through the electric fence. He instantly learned the boundary and was afraid to come back. I took the electric collar off of his neck and then coaxed and walked him back through the boundary area. I did however make a rather shocking error by putting the electric collar into my pocket. I actually think I heard him laugh. G-d, I miss that dog.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:18 AM   #36
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
...I did however make a rather shocking error by putting the electric collar into my pocket. I actually think I heard him laugh...
Man, that part alone was worth the read
I needed the chuckle this morning, thanks

OD
Old 01-21-2014, 07:05 AM   #37
Guru

Not really boat related but I never thought the electric dog fence was a great idea. First, as mentioned above, if the dog somehow gets outside the perimeter of the fence, he/she will not come back in. Second, while it may keep your dog in, it won't keep other dogs out so unless your dog is the biggest, baddest dog in the neighborhood, he or she may be in danger of attack from other dogs and will have no place to run to.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:31 PM   #38
OFB
Guru

City: Richmond bc
Vessel Name: Invader no1
Vessel Model: Kishi Boat works
Fee a kelpie we tried to "rescue" from California. Turns out the bitches would not get along. Not that unusual for a pair of female pups to not get along. Tough however I really had gotten attached to the little girl. Very quick and a lot of fun but man talk about drive and in want of a steady job.

One would think boat life could be a bit tough on these breeds, but the beach , work, dingy rides etc all just become part of there "job".

She ended up at a farm with an experienced kelpie owner. Still miss the pup.

Sorry for the T C .
Attached Thumbnails
1746.jpg   1743.jpg   1742.jpg  
OFB is offline   Reply With Quote