Could 30ft boat be comfortable for liveaboards?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I despise the cold and have no tolerance for it, but we Floridians are pretty hardy people when it comes to heat. ...

Can't take the heat. FL is too hot for me about 10 months of the year. Unfortunately, I have to spend about 5 months of the year there for work.

Can't take the heat. FL is too hot for me about 10 months of the year. Unfortunately, I have to spend about 5 months of the year there for work.

I love the heat! But I enjoy the 4 real seasons as well (even though winters can be quite trying when you've got boats on your mind, lol). It actually snowed today in Beantown.....

Everyone has their limit of "tolerance"....

Once exceeded, fun is slowly eroded and upsizing or downsizing ones boat is thought about seriously....or more common, moving back ashore.

if I had to run to a dirt dwelling or storage unit every time I needed something I use every week, my fun meter would start to sag quite a bit.

Hence the reason I upgraded to my 3870 :smitten: I lived in a Ranger 33 sailboat for nearly 4 years and it wasn't fun the last 5 months or so. Winters suxed especially. About as much room as maybe a trailerable cuddy in the 22-23 foot range? Standing headroom though.

I've only passed a year on my current boat and looking forward to a mid 40's aft cabin trawler :whistling:

"Small boats are not noted for their insulation."

This is true , but easily over come ., MORE Heat.

In NYC the usual winter is mid 20 at night , just freezing most days.

Our 90/90 has a Dickinson floor mounted oil burner that is about 20,000 BTU.

This worked fine with an Airex foam core hull, and extra rugs on the cabin sole .

Never bothered to add insulation storm covers or warm shades to the dozen bronze ports , although they would steam , then frost for a while on dumping a pot of hot water in the sink.

There is a wall mounted fire place in the fwd cabin , but it usually got fed a piece of fire log , for dates , although charcoal could be added for overnight heat.

Mostly used in fall when Dickinson was not lit and an overnight of cabin heat was required.

For me the key to living aboard in winter was the lack of electric required to maintain the std of living.

It does require advanced planning and some bucks to set up for real living aboard , but all the hassles are well known and fairly easy to overcome.

A couple lived aboard on a 41 Bounty , one of the early GRP boats with inch thik layup!

No insulation but an oil fired range kept then warm , except at a record -17 F when they had to abandon the fewd cabin and sleep in the salon.

It can be done and is a great lifestyle!!

The AT34 has two built in resistant heaters. Size, I dont remember at the moment. I supplement the one in the saloon with a second heater. Not the best but more than tolerable if one wears socks. WINK

No.

I couldn't live on my Mainship 34 unless I was alone and even then it would be pushing it.

36' dual cabin? Maybe.

I despise the cold and have no tolerance for it, but we Floridians are pretty hardy people when it comes to heat. I love listening to the tourists complain about Florida summers. I was visiting Virginia (Williamsburg) last summer for a family vacation. My wife and I were rather amused by the heat advisory. We were one of a handful of people eating outside at the restaurants and walked around enjoying the weather. A few years back, we also experienced a heat advisory in Chicago. It was Florida spring to us!

I am the same way I am cold whimp but growing up in St petersburg i do not complain about the heat

There is a big difference in FL where when the electric goes down , and the boat gets hot,

and further north where if the electric goes down the un-winterized boat can freeze and eventually sink.

There is a big difference in FL where when the electric goes down , and the boat gets hot,

and further north where if the electric goes down the un-winterized boat can freeze and eventually sink.

So I think I will stay with my Florida winters

I am the same way I am cold whimp but growing up in St petersburg i do not complain about the heat

You cant fool me. St Petersburg gets COLD during the winter.
I have a condo and relatives there. I always take a couple of flannel shirts and a wool shirt with me.

Last edited:
Here's my first steps to getting my 30 foot boat ready for liveaboard duties. Key word: FIRST. I've got lots to do! I added a supplementary heater to my reverse cycle heat/air system which won't be effective from Dec- March in my neck of the woods.

20180415_174348 (1).jpg

20180415_180634.jpg

Last edited:
The smoke stack is multi walled pipe?

You cant fool me. St Petersburg gets COLD during the winter.
I have a condo and relatives there. I always take a couple of flannel shirts and a wool shirt with me.

Me too I grew up in a area called venetian isles have pictures in the early 70s with snow on the ground

Yes, it's 2 tubes. The exhaust tube is in the middle. The fresh air intake is the bigger one.

Perfect..... you wont deform or scar yourself permanently yourself if you bump up against it. The air inlet pipe will reclaim a lot of the heat going up the chimney too

The furnace gives you a nice place to toast your marshmallows too.

Wifey B: What part of FL? In South Florida we don't have the oppressive heat, but moderate temps and a cool breeze off the ocean. Now, if you overdress like a northerner, you might get hot, but dress for the beach. :D

Wifey B: What part of FL? In South Florida we don't have the oppressive heat, but moderate temps and a cool breeze off the ocean. Now, if you overdress like a northerner, you might get hot, but dress for the beach. :D

Yup, south FL, get everything done before 10 or 11am then back home.
If the malls opened earlier more folks would go there and then everyone could go home earlier, included the employees.

Perfect..... you wont deform or scar yourself permanently yourself if you bump up against it. The air inlet pipe will reclaim a lot of the heat going up the chimney too

The furnace gives you a nice place to toast your marshmallows too.

Yeah, thats true. The flue gets hot and does give off some extra heat.

Not sure about the marshmallows!! Lol

The only problem might be a windy night, a down draft and it blows the flame out. I suspect they put in a safety circuit to shut off the gas if that happens.

What kind of cap do you have on the outside?

The only problem might be a windy night, a down draft and it blows the flame out. I suspect they put in a safety circuit to shut off the gas if that happens.

What kind of cap do you have on the outside?

Wind will not be an issue. It's mounted on the flybridge floor and the cap is a double tiered mushroom type.

I'll take some more pics next time I go to the boat. I'm still on the hard. Waiting to be launched in about 2 weeks.

"I added a supplementary heater to my reverse cycle heat/air system which won't be effective from Dec- March in my neck of the woods."

The boat HVAC folks may eventually catch up to the RV folks.

The RV folks looked at the mini split units so popular world wide , and decided to copy their system, as they are used in very cold countries.

The unit senses when the outside coils have frost , and reverses , changes to an air cond function for a min or two.

This melts the ice outside and the unit switches back to the heating function.

Mostly its just a brain change , so was no problem for the RV folks to copy & install..

Perhaps in a decade or two the marine HVAC folks will get it working for water sourced heating.

The RV folks looked at the mini split units so popular world wide , and decided to copy their system, as they are used in very cold countries.

The unit senses when the outside coils have frost , and reverses , changes to an air cond function for a min or two.

This melts the ice outside and the unit switches back to the heating function.

Mostly its just a brain change , so was no problem for the RV folks to copy & install..

Perhaps in a decade or two the marine HVAC folks will get it working for water sourced heating.

??

Our "water sourced" reverse cycle system has a reversing valve, and it routinely changes from heat to AC for short periods to deal with freezing.

What's different about what you're describing, aside from being "air sourced?"

-Chris

One of my business partners is in your area Leesburg she is similar to you and loves your area of VA. Me I am 7th generation Floridian I think my blood is to thin

One of my business partners is in your area Leesburg she is similar to you and loves your area of VA. Me I am 7th generation Floridian I think my blood is to thin

That's good. You don't have to take meds for blood thinning!!! :lol:

"Our "water sourced" reverse cycle system has a reversing valve, and it routinely changes from heat to AC for short periods to deal with freezing."

Sounds great !

"Our "water sourced" reverse cycle system has a reversing valve, and it routinely changes from heat to AC for short periods to deal with freezing."

Sounds great !

I thought that was pretty standard on reverse cycle units? Ours aren't new...

-Chris

My wife and I live aboard a 45' Sea Ranger Trawler. Its pretty roomy with a walk around Aft cabin Queen size bed. 2 Heads, full kitchen, washing machine, office, Aft deck lounge and full size fly bridge. We can get away from each other when we have to. Oh and we live with our little dog Frankie. We work together as well at our business so we pretty much never get much time away from each other. In either event, I think we would probably kill each other in a boat that small but every ones situation is different. I would suggest a rental and see how you guys exist before you make any harsh decisions. We spent 5 years getting to this point, downsizing and downsizing to see if we could still coexist in tight quarters...it worked...good luck

Back
Top Bottom