Old 04-23-2019, 10:10 AM   #21
Veteran Member

City: Olympia
Vessel Name: Zorro Del Mar
Vessel Model: 1972 Tollycraft Tri-Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by JadePanama View Post
... we considered a 53 Navigator as well. it was 11 years newer, and 40k cheaper than the tolly we went with, but you could tell a big difference in build quality and space. The Navigators from what I understand all are based on the same 15' beam, which gets narrow especially with full walk around.
The 5800 has a 17'+ beam, so this may be a different creature entirely. I think our experience looking at the larger Tollys is that the lack of exterior walk-around was a little uncomfortable for us. Yes, we enjoyed the larger interior space, but we also want to be able to get around the exterior of the boat for ease of docking, dropping fenders, etc.

Man, this is a hard decision.
jovial_cynic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 10:29 AM   #22
Veteran Member

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Jade Panama'
Vessel Model: 2001 Rayburn Custom 76
Yeah I get it. The no walk around hasn’t been really a big deal. We just drop one from the fly bridge and the rest you have easy access to. Tolly does have 57’s with walk arounds as well. Couple on yacht world
Old 04-23-2019, 10:58 AM   #23
Guru

City: Northport
Quote:
Originally Posted by jovial_cynic View Post
The 5800 has a 17'+ beam, so this may be a different creature entirely. I think our experience looking at the larger Tollys is that the lack of exterior walk-around was a little uncomfortable for us. Yes, we enjoyed the larger interior space, but we also want to be able to get around the exterior of the boat for ease of docking, dropping fenders, etc.

Man, this is a hard decision.
Yes - Navigator has a 15' beam all the way between their 42' and 56' boats. The 58' is when they step up to a larger everything, beam , weight, draft, engines etc.
Much different boat than their 56'.
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 07:33 PM   #24

City: Bocas del Toro, Panama
Vessel Name: Delta Swizzler
Vessel Model: 1988 58' Vantare
We have been living aboard 8 years now on our 58 ft Vantare and love it. We left San Francisco in 2015 have have cruised full time ever since. The last three years have been in Mexico. Our boat is a wide body, which I wouldn’t change. In order to have the walk around sides, you give up 3 ft of interior width. No thank you.i live aboard every day, three times a year the walk around would be nice.
Dswizzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 05:57 AM   #25
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
An older model that conceptually attracts me is the Hatteras 58' yachtfisher. I'm a bit put off by the older 32V systems and the ladder (instead of stairs) to the flybridge, but those might not be concerns for everyone...

-Chris
Old 08-24-2019, 07:02 PM   #26

City: FL
Vessel Model: Benneteau Swift 42
The boat next to us is a 62 Hatteras, took a tour, it is very big, the owners live aboard for past 5 years.

They love it
lipets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 08:16 PM   #27
Veteran Member

City: Longboat Key, Fl
Vessel Name: Gratitude
Vessel Model: 1982- 44ft Island Gypsy Trawler
We sold our house and bought a boat for our family of 4. We looked for 18 months and it ended w an 82 - 44ft Island Gypsy. It's been great so far! 3 Staterooms and a layout that works good for us. 3 Staterooms really limited our options so it took awhile. We also considered some 2 Staterooms w Pilot house that could be used for a kids room. The Grand banks motor yacht was another nice 3 Stateroom

AClick image for larger version

Name:	20190904_174302.jpeg
Views:	90
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	93597
TrawlerTribe is offline   Reply With Quote