Clear thermal window coverings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks, syjos. I'll look for clear vinyl locally (Poulsbo, Silverdale, Bremerton).

Yes, dhays, this is a beautiful place. It's nicely located for cruising up and down the sound, too. We've only been to Gig Harbor via car so far. One of these days we plan to get a Captain's Gig to replace our rollup dinghy.

Thanks,
Andy

Since you are near me (Port Orchard/Gig Harbor) if you are unable to find a local canvas supplier, I can set up a buy for you from Rexx Pegg in Tacoma.

I would stay away from snaps. Just too wimpy. My PO had widow coverings that were fastened with miniature mushroom shaped bollards that accepted bungee cord. The old covers were Sunbrella sewed on to clear plastic. I remade some of them for the cockpit surround using vinyl material that glued to the plastic with HH66. No sewing.

Bungees are often hooked to a cover by tying them through grommets. That usually looks tacky. I used bungee cord end fittings that I pop rivetted to the vinyl. You can see they system at the bottom of the cockpit covering that I made (my bungees are color coded for when I have removed the various panels). The mushroom bungee fastners around the windows can be seen. I don't know why the PO put so many on. Maybe for heavy weather? Be sure that your covers go up high enough to be protected from rain getting inside from the top. The clear plastic will likely chafe against the widow frames and become cloudy, but not a big deal as you will mainly notice that when removing.

Oops. Forgot the picture.

Attachments

• 100_1512.jpg
    100_1512.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 45
I have a sedan cruiser, translation: really a summer boat only...older boat along the lines of a Chris Craft. My windows are the sliding type, great for summer but not so much in the winter winds of coastal BC. I saw a boat in my marina with window coverings but instead of solid blue canvas, the blue canvas was used for framing and clear plastic as the bulk of covering. Struct me as the perfect solution as to cutting down on the wind and cold intrusion in my boat. I do have diesel and propane heat as well as electric but on a really blustery winters day, I go through a lot of the first two fuel types.

I second the bungee cord instead of the snaps for my bimini walls. I had snaps but as the canvas aged it moved slightly, enough to be challenging to close. The bungee system solved that problem.

As the key is the air tightness you might experiment with the house window sealing from a box store. Cheap and quick.

Do it inside and outside on all glass , and metal ports.

You can cover most boats glass in an afternoon and then take all summer to do a fancy air tight cover set.

I used the 3M shrink window covering one winter and made a huge difference on windy days. Worked so well I didn't the next winter and was sorry.

Applied on the inside, but there might be outside mounted too.

Since you are near me (Port Orchard/Gig Harbor) if you are unable to find a local canvas supplier, I can set up a buy for you from Rexx Pegg in Tacoma.

Thanks so much, syjos! I appreciate you selling me a snap tool and some 30 gauge vinyl. I finally got around to making the covers for the aft windows of the saloon a few weeks ago. I replaced the dark blue Sunbrella cover with the clear covers. It's nice to have some light during PNW winters! We also put a big dehumidifier (50 pints per day) in the forward head, draining into the shower sump. Humidity tends to run around 40% and we have no condensation issues.

Attachments

• SaloonPort.jpg
    SaloonPort.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 33
Thanks so much, syjos! I appreciate you selling me a snap tool and some 30 gauge vinyl. I finally got around to making the covers for the aft windows of the saloon a few weeks ago. I replaced the dark blue Sunbrella cover with the clear covers. It's nice to have some light during PNW winters! We also put a big dehumidifier (50 pints per day) in the forward head, draining into the shower sump. Humidity tends to run around 40% and we have no condensation issues.

Wow! Looks great, nice job.

I have snaps around all the windows for summer sun covers.

For winter, I cut clear vinyl to the same shape as the sun covers and installed snaps directly on the vinyl.

I put these up when we lived on the boat in winter to reduce condensation. They work very well at keeping the windows clear. They also reduce the cold drafts and keep the interior warmer.

They lasted 17 years before they got scratched up and snaps started pulling out.

Can you share any tips or information about how you made these? Sailrite is suggesting 30 gauge vinyl with Shelter-rite tape glued around the edges to install the snaps through. It sounds like yours might have been more simple? Did you use stick-on snaps or install them through the vinyl with a tool?

Can you share any tips or information about how you made these? Sailrite is suggesting 30 gauge vinyl with Shelter-rite tape glued around the edges to install the snaps through. It sounds like yours might have been more simple? Did you use stick-on snaps or install them through the vinyl with a tool?

I used a thicker vinyl and used a snap tool to install snaps.

I don't think it was 30 gauge. That's awfully heavy.

The first set was made of thin vinyl and the snaps pulled out sometimes. They looked like crap but lasted 17 years!

I used a thicker vinyl and used a snap tool to install snaps.

I don't think it was 30 gauge. That's awfully heavy.

The first set was made of thin vinyl and the snaps pulled out sometimes. They looked like crap but lasted 17 years!
30 is probably the most frequently used clear vinyl boat windows. The heaviest I've worked with is 40 but even that can be sewn readily and installing snaps a "snap" if using the tool. It helps to work in a warm area or pre heat the vinyl when installing the snaps as the buttons actually do the hole punch.
The thinner ones roll easier but are not as distortion free IMO.

Rochfordsupply.com is a good source and frequently has small qty roll ends at attractive prices.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info. I think I'm going to do 30 gauge vinyl, possibly Shelter-rite tape around the outside, and snaps with a snap tool. It seems like the tape might turn green and mossy quite quickly, so if people have had success with just installing the snaps directly into the vinyl I might do that since they won't be coming on and off very often.

I'm happy with the results from installing the snaps directly into the vinyl. We wound up leaving the vinyl up until the rains stopped. It's about time to put the vinyl back up.

Experiment a little with scraps of vinyl. If it seems like reinforcement would help you can use a second layer of vinyl in the area of the snap or a tab that would provide a place to pull on at least the first snap to be removed. That is usually the hardest to get started and yhen you can get hold of the window more easily.
I have seen a small piece of vinyl wrapped over the edge so the snap button goes through 3 layers. You may need longer stud buttons depending on the thickness but there are several varieties available.

Experiment a little with scraps of vinyl. If it seems like reinforcement would help you can use a second layer of vinyl in the area of the snap or a tab that would provide a place to pull on at least the first snap to be removed. That is usually the hardest to get started and yhen you can get hold of the window more easily.
I have seen a small piece of vinyl wrapped over the edge so the snap button goes through 3 layers. You may need longer stud buttons depending on the thickness but there are several varieties available.
Thanks Don, that is helpful.

The only problem without any reinforcement is when taking the snaps off you could pull the snaps out of the vinyl. The key is to keep the snaps lubricated so they are easier to pull off. Also there is a snap removed tool that slides under the snap and puts the pressure directly on the snap instead if the vinyl. There are a lot of different ones on the market. Here is one on Amazon.

Ironwood Pacific Top-Snapper Tool for Boat Canvas Snaps

Alison
My thoughts are if you are considering this a DIY project (and BTW I concur) then you might just as well start looking for a capable sewing machine.
You will likely think of many more enhancement projects that could be accomplished easily if only you had a machine available.
I'm half joking but half serious... DIY boat projects are addicting... success leads to more ideas and projects not fewer!
As I said above... experiment a little with some scraps and convince yourself how c easy or difficult removal will be.
Dave's suggestion of using a snap removal tool is a good one. It would avoid problems and not add much effort for the infrequent removal.
My problem would be remembering where I put the tool last time I used it!?! But that's another discussion. Good luck and be sure to let us know how this works out... I've made windshield cover, bug screens, sun screens, etc.... BUT NEVER STORM WINDOWS!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom