Chinese Junks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, I have, and they were pretty good. As with many things in chinese cultures there a a lot of subtlties that westerners are unaware of. The junk rig is one such thing. Lots of benefits to them.

Had one at my old liveaboard dock in Ft Lauderdale back in tbe early 80s.

The yacht brokers son lived on it.

It was pretty cool. About 40 to 45 feet if I recall. Never toured the whole thing ...just the "great cabin" aft.

The long bench seat across the stern was cool. The kid used to lift the cushion and fish though the opening to the water below...not sure if he ever used the flip down toilet seat though. ;)

I saw one in Halibut Cove this past summer, obviously transiting through from somewhere and going somewhere else. That's across from Homer, didn't get the chance to interact with any of the occupants though. It's the first junk I have ever seen in Alaska!

I've seen a few in the 40-45' range that appeared to make quite spacious live aboards. Can't speak to their sailing performance, but then there are a lot of junk rigged sailboats cruising around the world.

We have a live aboard power vessel a couple slips down that the owner refers to as a "Shanghai boat". I'll have to post a pic here when I get back home, but needless to say it's quite unique!

I've seen a few in the 40-45' range that appeared to make quite spacious live aboards. Can't speak to their sailing performance, but then there are a lot of junk rigged sailboats cruising around the world.

We have a live aboard power vessel a couple slips down that the owner refers to as a "Shanghai boat". I'll have to post a pic here when I get back home, but needless to say it's quite unique!

For sure, junk riggs are not 'performance ' rigs, so race boats dont have them. But they do have many benefits, which can be looked up, like ease of short handed sailing, no standing rigging, can repair sections instead of replacing the whole sail, etc.

No standing rigging can be a benefit or not.

Every boat design is a compromise in some way.

No standing rigging can be a benefit or not.

Every boat design is a compromise in some way.

Sure, and no standing rigging is a benefit at least in that...you dont have to buy it, repair it have the wind resistance, have things get stuck in it.

Sure, and no standing rigging is a benefit at least in that...you dont have to buy it, repair it have the wind resistance, have things get stuck in it.

If you understood boat design you would as quickly understand its benefits of using it.

That link didn't work and neither is discussing boating reality with you..... see ya...

For sure, junk riggs are not 'performance ' rigs, so race boats dont have them. But they do have many benefits, which can be looked up, like ease of short handed sailing, no standing rigging, can repair sections instead of replacing the whole sail, etc.
Yes, but, isn`t China entering them for the next Americas Cup? Surely you know about that.

The old junks I have seen were all wood.

A wooden boat (even all teak) is a different tome consuming hobby than living aboard.

Never saw one that did not have a nice big engine fitted.

The old junks I have seen were all wood.

A wooden boat (even all teak) is a different tome consuming hobby than living aboard.

Never saw one that did not have a nice big engine fitted.

Junk rigs can be and are fitted on any sort of boats. And like almost every sailboat, yes, they too usually have a motor too. Hope ypu were able to open the site with 50 good points about them.

No they can't be fitted on just any sort of boats...some yes, but most boats I would argue that fitting junk rigs on would not be in the boats best interest (unless originally designed for them)...much like at boat unstayed gaff rigs...

No they can't be fitted on just any sort of boats...some yes, but most boats I would argue that fitting junk rigs on would not be in the boats best interest (unless originally designed for them)...much like at boat unstayed gaff rigs...

Mostly you fit for YOUR interest, not the boats. But sure, some would be too flimsy or whatever. Google images junk rigs...all sorts of then.

Mostly you fit for YOUR interest, not the boats. But sure, some would be too flimsy or whatever. Google images junk rigs...all sorts of then.

Based on posted knowledge...I would say your limited experience makes your posts narrow...I am just posting based on a pretty good background in boating.

I try and keep slanted views from infecting others.

Saying junk rigs can be fitted on most or all boats with only benefits is about the most comical post I have read lately.

Based on posted knowledge...I would say your limited experience makes your posts narrow...I am just posting based on a pretty good background in boating.

I try and keep slanted views from infecting others.

Saying junk rigs can be fitted on most or all boats with only benefits is about the most comical post I have read lately.

Got it, you reject the 50 benefits of junk rigs, OR you have limited experience with them. OR, you didnt even bother reading the list of benefits.

I like benefit #50:

“If your mast is a wooden one, you can hug it and talk to it in the cabin”

I like benefit #50:

“If your mast is a wooden one, you can hug it and talk to it in the cabin”

This is what I saw as #50 in the list I gave.
"50. A coloured sail gives off a lot less
reflected glare than a white
polyester sail: Many, if not most
junks, have a coloured sail, which is
more comfortable to live with, and,
possibly safer and healthier than a
white one, something very relevant
when sailing in the Tropics. Equally,
coloured sails stand out better
against a sea covered in white caps.".

It was the last one in the pdf, so I assumed it was #50. Anyway, it was cute

Please keep this more civil. I was interested in the topic knowing little about junks except seeing them in that Bruce Lee movie decades ago and a few posters here made this an uncomfortable thread to read with personal attacks - at least that’s how it felt to me.

Please keep this more civil. I was interested in the topic knowing little about junks except seeing them in that Bruce Lee movie decades ago and a few posters here made this an uncomfortable thread to read with personal attacks - at least that’s how it felt to me.

Hope you learned something from the 50 benefits . There's tons of lit on them out there. Most guys just arent familiar with them. If fact me and my partners had studied up on them and were about to go with them on the next boat. Then pretty much decided on a kite sail for a hybrid motor boat.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom