Chinese Junks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Which is what the Chinese Junk Rig sails have done for centuries.

There is not ONE area/section of sail in a Junk Rig like there is in a western mail sail, instead there are multiple sails, supported and connected by battens, that make up the main sail. The Junk Rig battens are not like the flimsy modern battens but strong, structural elements of the Junk Rig. Most/Many Junk Rigs are going to have three to seven sections of sails, supported by battens, to make up the main sail compared to the western mainsail that is one large sail.

A western main sail will have two to four reefs. A Junk Rig has as many reefs as there are sail sections, likely three to seven, and maybe more. If a western main sail blows the main, or even rips the main, they have a big problem. A Junk Rig just has to lower the main to take the blown sail section out of use. IF they even have to do that operation since the sail will likely still function to some level unless completely blown out.

The stress on a Junk Rigs sail section is pretty low compared to western sails. The Junk Rig sails were first made from woven grass/reeds and there are people who have made sails out of cheap, plastic tarps. :eek: I have seen photos of Junk Rigs sailing with huge holes in the sail sections. I don't see how a western rigged boat could do the same.

Later,
Dan

Yes, many subtle benefits that most westerners dont know about.

Yes, going upwind is not a Junk Rig strength that is for sure.

But how many sail boats can really point up wind really well?

There are certainly lots of conversations about certain sailing catamarans up wind ability, or lack there of, not to mention many shoal draft mono hulls. We have had to turn on the Perkins and Volvo Wind Generators too many times when we got tired of tacking back and forth trying to sail up wind to a destination.

For a trawler sail plan, a Junk Rig makes a lot of sense. It is free standing, or at least most are, it is cheap to build and maintain, and it is rugged. Not being able to go up wind is a who cares because one, Gentleman Do No Sail To Weather, and two, if you need too, you will turn on the engine. :rofl:

For the many sail boats that do not sail well upwind, a Junk Rig would have been a good design choice, but the Junk Rig is too different, in spite of it's advantages, to ever get a more than a small following of boats/people.

Later,
Dan

Yes Dan, pointing upwind was noticably absent because nobody ever claimed that as an advatantage. Thanks for pointing out some other things that are advantageous though........in the short list of advantages.

@JWell, and don't forget the most important advantage, going down into your cabin and hugging your wooden mast each night :)

For many boat owners their vessel is a very personal thing - she's your baby, not just a machine that "points to within 20 degrees of apparent wind angle."

I keep a fishing boat on a trailer in a storage facility, and after a long day at sea I bring her home and wash her down and put her back to sleep, patting her gently and saying "goodnight baby see you next week" which makes my wife laugh like crazy.

If a junk rig or a dhow or any boat makes YOU feel warm and happy inside, then fantastic.

Why in the world would anyone think westerners do not understand ancient tech after decades of it being offered on vessels designed and built all over the world?

Oh yeah..because you love to argue with so few facts.

@JWell, and don't forget the most important advantage, going down into your cabin and hugging your wooden mast each night :)

For many boat owners their vessel is a very personal thing - she's your baby, not just a machine that "points to within 20 degrees of apparent wind angle."

I keep a fishing boat on a trailer in a storage facility, and after a long day at sea I bring her home and wash her down and put her back to sleep, patting her gently and saying "goodnight baby see you next week" which makes my wife laugh like crazy.

If a junk rig or a dhow or any boat makes YOU feel warm and happy inside, then fantastic.

Yes, of course there is that emotional angle too. I usually just go by the scientific, technical aspects of boats.

"I usually just go by the scientific, technical aspects of boats."

Many Westerners are more interested in being able to beat off a lee shore in a gale than follow the annual Monsoon trade routes

Many Westerners are more interested in being able to beat off a lee shore in a gale than follow the annual Monsoon trade routes

Good point FF.

Westerners that specialize in junk rigs like Hasler, and Michael Kasten marine, say that the junk rigs dontvmind if theyre in non- monsoon winds, nor if they're on wooden hulls or other.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1641842648110.jpg
    FB_IMG_1641842648110.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 21
Many, if not most
junks, have a coloured sail, which is
more comfortable to live with, and,
possibly safer and healthier than a
white one, something very relevant
when sailing in the Tropics.

The authentic junk used sails that were assembled from used cloth sacks.

Fine for downwind and the cost (if you can sew) is tiny compared to quality sail cloth.

Many, if not most
junks, have a coloured sail, which is
more comfortable to live with, and,
possibly safer and healthier than a
white one, something very relevant
when sailing in the Tropics.

The authentic junk used sails that were assembled from used cloth sacks.

Fine for downwind and the cost (if you can sew) is tiny compared to quality sail cloth.

Yes, one panel tears, just sew on anything you have. Correct re colors too....bright colors dont get mistaken for white caps waves.

Back
Top Bottom