Old 04-17-2019, 01:52 PM   #21
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
... my Admiral tolerates projects early in the season but sets a "cut-off" date when projects end and time to boat more.
We do the same. Spring until launch are projects. Launch until Fall are repairs only. Fall is winterization and the start of new projects. (Rinse and Repeat).
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 05:07 PM   #22
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
As one who invariably buys used, I have two suggestions: do not “fall in love” with a boat before you buy it and two, wait until you can buy somebody’s “baby”. No matter what the item, house car cycle aircraft boat, there is always going to be one that some guy lavished his time and money on and that’s the one you want. It may have high hours, may be an older model, etc. but the care and attention makes up for all of that. You just have to be in a position to wait until the right one comes along.

There are enough anal retentive jerks out there driving service techs crazy with their insistence on doing it “the right way” that you can take advantage of their obsessions to get a good car, house, bike or boat. If you are willing to wait.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 06:48 PM   #23
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
As one who invariably buys used, I have two suggestions: do not “fall in love” with a boat before you buy it and two, wait until you can buy somebody’s “baby”. No matter what the item, house car cycle aircraft boat, there is always going to be one that some guy lavished his time and money on and that’s the one you want. It may have high hours, may be an older model, etc. but the care and attention makes up for all of that. You just have to be in a position to wait until the right one comes along.

There are enough anal retentive jerks out there driving service techs crazy with their insistence on doing it “the right way” that you can take advantage of their obsessions to get a good car, house, bike or boat. If you are willing to wait.
Excellent advise. Play the waiting game for a boat that someone has dumped a bunch of money in but now has to sell.....age, divorce, money problems. This approach makes far more sense that bringing a ratty boat back from the dead. You'll probably spend a lot less money and have a good boat under you. Nice boats are out there. Just keep your eyes open and be ready to jump on an opportunity

Keep in mind that when you do buy a boat and start putting money in it that you will likely recover little of it when you sell.....same scenario as above. The value to you will be in the use and utility you get from the boat, probably not in it's fair market value upon resale.
Old 04-19-2019, 06:18 AM   #24
FF
Guru

"Play the waiting game for a boat that someone has dumped a bunch of money in but now has to sell"

YES , but be sure the upgrades are for the style of living you hope to enjoy.

A super dock queen might need a total refit to leave the dock.

An "ocean cruiser" may have great stowage & tanks eating interior volume , and systems to maintain like water makers , stability systems , multiple generators, large battery banks and get home engines.

Figure out what you want the boat to do FIRST!
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 01:17 PM   #25
Veteran Member

City: Ft Myers
Vessel Name: Linda Lee
Vessel Model: 45' Aquarius motoryacht
We purchased a 1990 Aquarius 45’ for $55k Feb 2016. As of this date we put another 50k into it. But it was the best deal. She looks and runs great.
If you are DIY guy, this is better way to go. No monthly payments, insurance is less. But work does not stop there.
I have a friend who bought a new boat. After one year and the warranty ran out he has the same issues as older boats. Now he pays and repairs as he goes along. And still has a monthly payment.
I feel old boats were better built with less computer issues.
Good luck
Henry
hfmckevitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 02:11 PM   #26
Veteran Member

City: Victoria BC
Vessel Name: Tiffany
Vessel Model: Apollo 32
The real cost of cheap

Fixing anything on a boat is never cheap and always entails far, far more time, effort and expense than any equivalent job on a house or car. Spend the most you can and realize that when buying something in turnkey condition you are still buying the condition and improvements at a highly discounted rate. Everything you put into the boat from your own side you are buying at full, undepreciated cost.

As the saying goes; "If someone were to give you a boat for nothing you would still have paid too much."
Tiffany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 04:49 AM   #27
Veteran Member

City: Chicago
Bottom line - find the best boat you can for you money. If your budget is an 80,000 boat what’s your maintenance budget. Figure the first couple of years the maintenance budget at 20% of the boat value. May seem high but trust me that won’t even cover a serious engine issue. I have owned 4 boats and my experience puts me at the 20% range per year on maintenance, upkeep and minor upgrades. The longer you own the boat the less you spend on repairs but maintenance and wanted upgrades still run up the tab. This years repair and up grades cost me just under 20% of my boat value, however I still have my to do list and my wish list for next year.
I often think why do I enjoy boating so much when something is wearing out and breaking all the time. Remember if it ain’t broke yet, it will be.😂
Bigal6030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 07:09 AM   #28

City: Stratford
Owning a boat on a budget can be both fun and rewarding. Without an open checkbook, it forces you to learn how things work and how to do your own work. I’m a perfect example of that.
I never installed a water pump, now I have a new one.
Had a leak in a pinhole water hose, borrowed a friend’s camera, fished it through the side of the hill, found the leak, changed the hose.
Installed a new toilet, new refrigerator which required cutting a bigger space, changed belts, spark plugs, etc. surely saved a fortune.
I know there are things better left to professionals, know your limits and “boating on a budget” is entirely possible, and have time to actually “boat”!
lfalco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 11:05 AM   #29
Guru

City: Southwest MI
Vessel Name: Sobelle
Vessel Model: C-Dory 22 Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfalco View Post
Owning a boat on a budget can be both fun and rewarding. Without an open checkbook, it forces you to learn how things work and how to do your own work. I’m a perfect example of that.
I never installed a water pump, now I have a new one.
Had a leak in a pinhole water hose, borrowed a friend’s camera, fished it through the side of the hill, found the leak, changed the hose.
Installed a new toilet, new refrigerator which required cutting a bigger space, changed belts, spark plugs, etc. surely saved a fortune.
I know there are things better left to professionals, know your limits and “boating on a budget” is entirely possible, and have time to actually “boat”!
For me a fair percentage of the satisfaction of owning a boat is being able to work on it and modify it to get it the way I want. There are times when I get the boat from the storage lot, spend a week working on it in front of my house, then put it back without getting it near the water. Even with a good sized boating budget, I am loath to pay someone to do something that I am perfectly capable of doing myself.

Getting something done EXACTLY how I want it done the first time is well worth the effort involved.
ssobol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 04:59 PM   #30

City: North West Basin
Vessel Name: Moderation
Vessel Model: Sea Lord 35
Well you couldn't have asked a question with more potential for discussion. The only thing anyone can say with authority is how their own decision worked for them. There really isn't a right answer.

In our case we decided to put $50K into the purchase of a slightly neglected vessel with nothing modern installed. We have plans to do some touring after retirement and want it set up our way with up-to-date equipment. The first couple seasons saw some of it used up in work but we still got boating in.

Three years in the previous owner would not recognize his boat and we have something we're very proud of. I wouldn't hesitate to do the same again. The cost is certainly close to what we would have had to spend to get a boat in this condition but it would never have everything just the way we like. The only way to get that is to have the work done, unless you want to be shopping around forever.

The best advice I could give would be to get written estimates from the guys who will actually do the work and then don't put it off. Get it done right away with anything you see as safety related at the top of the list. Make the work part of the entire purchase plan. You're not likely to get it done all at once in any case so you'll have boating time between jobs.

Worked for us.
ksceviour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 08:22 AM   #31
Guru

City: Sharon, Ma
Vessel Name: Slow Lane
Vessel Model: 2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
OP: I would personally go "newer" if possible. Especially if you're living aboard. Things break all the time, at least with a newer boat things will hopefully break less. Lol.

I just moved up to a 2005 a few weeks ago. Its nice to look around and know that certain items won't need replacing for a long time....versus, say if it was a 1995 boat.

But hey, there are always exceptions. You may find a great, older, well kept boat for a low price. There are always deals out there. But you can't go wrong with a newer boat. You sometimes CAN go wrong with an older boat.

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
South of Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 08:41 AM   #32
Guru

City: Great Lakes
Vessel Model: OA 440
If you purchase a POS fixer upper and start doing major repairs and improvements in a slip, your neighbors will unquestionably do their level best to have you evicted. Same if you do it in your front yard or driveway. Nobody wants a major remodel project in a slip that's five feet away. It's bad enough when a junkyard transient pulls into an adjacent slip for an overnighter. Buy a decent boat.
Rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 08:52 AM   #33
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
You can either pay for it now or later.
You maybe the greatest 'fixer' in the world but, what is the object of owning your boat?
Fix it or cruise it.
Old 04-27-2019, 09:09 AM   #34

City: Eastcoast
Vessel Model: American Tug 41
If i were advising a family member or friend, I'd say buy the newest used boat you can afford. I once almost bought a much older boat but the survey and sea trial revealed serious issues and I shudder to think back on how much money i would have ended up sinking into that thing had i bought it.... I ended up spending much more up front than i planned on a newer boat but thankful every day that i did, with the knowledge it would have cost WAY more if i had got the older one.... just IMHO
sledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 12:47 PM   #35

City: New Smyrna Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Mikala
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Budget advice on buying old vs.newer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledge View Post
If i were advising a family member or friend, I'd say buy the newest used boat you can afford.

IMHO, condition of the boat is far more important than age.
Mikala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 10:25 AM   #36

City: Pnw
Vessel Name: SARAH TOO
Vessel Model: 40’ beer can
The repeated comments about buried plywood in fiberglass, this is the biggest problem I have with frp boats in general. Many many builders used this technique, even extensively under the waterline, and there’s one promise about plywood encased in plastic, it WILL rot. So, no matter how much the boat cost, make sure if it’s glass that it’s ALL glass, which btw cost the mfg a lot more to produce. Even an all wood hull has a better chance at living many decades than the terrible practice of burying wood in glass.
Sea Word is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 10:49 AM   #37

City: New Smyrna Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Mikala
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Budget advice on buying old vs.newer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Word View Post
The repeated comments about buried plywood in fiberglass, this is the biggest problem I have with frp boats in general. Many many builders used this technique, even extensively under the waterline, and there’s one promise about plywood encased in plastic, it WILL rot. So, no matter how much the boat cost, make sure if it’s glass that it’s ALL glass, which btw cost the mfg a lot more to produce. Even an all wood hull has a better chance at living many decades than the terrible practice of burying wood in glass.

Perhaps a separate thread is more appropriate, but a running tally of which builders/models were produced with:

- Solid hull
- solid below w/l, cored above w/l
- cored below and above w/l

I think we’ll see very few builders produce solid hulls above the w/l. Nordhavn and DeFever (not sure about POC’s) and who else?
Mikala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 12:11 PM   #38
Guru

City: Sharon, Ma
Vessel Name: Slow Lane
Vessel Model: 2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala View Post
Perhaps a separate thread is more appropriate, but a running tally of which builders/models were produced with:

- Solid hull
- solid below w/l, cored above w/l
- cored below and above w/l

I think we’ll see very few builders produce solid hulls above the w/l. Nordhavn and DeFever (not sure about POC’s) and who else?
That would be an interesting thread for sure. A nice little (or probably big!) spreadsheet of the different builders and manufacturing builds.

I think it could be very difficult though because many brands, builders changed their practices for different hulls and years. Could be a never-ending wormhole......lol
South of Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 03:41 PM   #39

City: Pnw
Vessel Name: SARAH TOO
Vessel Model: 40’ beer can
Quote:
Originally Posted by South of Heaven View Post
That would be an interesting thread for sure. A nice little (or probably big!) spreadsheet of the different builders and manufacturing builds.

I think it could be very difficult though because many brands, builders changed their practices for different hulls and years. Could be a never-ending wormhole......lol
I think it would be a GREAT idea, and might cause some good debates.
I’m generally anti glass in most cases, but of course glass does have its benefits. But for my low budget I’m always concerned with cored hulls and I won’t touch one on principle alone. Stepping on a soft deck or squeezing a soft stringer is one of life’s greatest displeasures.
Sea Word is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 02:24 PM   #40

City: Green Cove Springs,FL
Vessel Name: No Destination
Vessel Model: 1972 GulfStar Trawler 36
Check out the boat for sale on this forum. Buy a boat that hull is made of solid fiberglass - no core. Mine is 1inch thick below water line. Above waterline is 3/4.
If the hull is solid and engines runs the rest of it is just upgrade. I would not buy never boat - too fragile.
nodestination is offline   Reply With Quote