Old 09-17-2015, 07:22 PM   #61
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by what_barnacles View Post
the gulfstar 45' has a nice layout and a walkin engine room.

like this one...

1986 Gulfstar by Viking Yachts 44 Motoryacht Fleming Island FL for Sale 32003 - iboats.com
I believe this is a gasser. Not sure that is what the OP is looking for.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 01:03 AM   #62
Moderator Emeritus

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianSmith View Post
I

and no damage repairs - what else will even come close to the dollar difference between one of them at .5 nmpg and one at 1.0? (The difference is $4,000 for $4 per gallon gas, $5,000 for $5 gas, etc.)
Assuming you have large tanks and can wait until you find the the cheaper diesel you can find $6 US diesel. If you buy in a French island you may pay $8 US.
Old 09-18-2015, 09:20 AM   #63
Guru

City: kemah
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
I believe this is a gasser. Not sure that is what the OP is looking for.
Dunno, the guy across from me has diesels I think. I just like the layout. Its not a Hatteras, but it sure is comfortable feeling inside.
what_barnacles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 09:31 AM   #64
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by what_barnacles View Post
Dunno, the guy across from me has diesels I think. I just like the layout. Its not a Hatteras, but it sure is comfortable feeling inside.
It says in the ad it's gas.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 11:12 AM   #65
Veteran Member

City: St. Augustine, FL
Vessel Name: Hannah Bea
Vessel Model: Tiara 4000e
Brian,

I'd like to toss out another thought for you, ie my buying decision and rationale.

Although you can't see my bottom in my avatar, it is a deep V and nothing semi about her. She is capable of 27-28 knots (my "fast" cruise speed is 21k), we usually cruise at 8.5 kn. At that speed we get 2.1 kmg, which is double your target, BTW, at 21k I get .77kmg. My boat is powered with twin Cummins 6cta 8.3 litre diesels. Turbo and after_cooled, but mechanical rather than electronic controls for 450hp each.

I'm not going to go into why I prefer deep Vs other than to say, the worse the weather the faster I go and the smoother it is. If you get interested, I will go deeper.

I am not advocating for you to follow my example, other than to say "YOU" control the speed and the economy. I wouldn't, and didn't, get hung up on SD, FD issues as trawlers come in all bottom types. We use our boat like a trawler most of the time (my sailor friends love our gentle motion in a beam sea when we are slow, as long as not slow and large beam sea lol) but the speed is also nice.

The Ft. Lauderdale boat show is soon, if any way possible, you really should go as the selection of boats will amaze you. You might see many other well constructed brands (such as ours) and allow yourself a wider breadth of knowledge and variety.

1 nmpg, is not hard to do with most boats, set your goal higher

Once you decide, you might see us in your cruising grounds going slow.

Paul

St. Augustine, FL
Ziggy8321 is offline   Reply With Quote