Best Trawler for a 100k Budget

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A trawler in good condition under $100k is called......a Carver!!!!...;)

Sooo.... interested in your thoughts on Carver. The good the bad and the ugly. P. M. Me if you'd prefer. Thanks!!

Sooo.... interested in your thoughts on Carver. The good the bad and the ugly. P. M. Me if you'd prefer. Thanks!!

Sooo first...the ugly. They are ugly....hahaha!!! Seriously, I do not like the styling of the newer ones. I do like the styling of the ones from around 15 years ago...like mine. Maybe 1995-2003ish. They went to the bleach bottle styling around 2001 but there was a lot of overlap in the "classic" design so you may find a 2002 or 2003 that is not bleach bottle. Also, around the same time(2003) they started using Volvo almost exclusively. Not sure if that is bad or good but you can be the judge on that.

Overall, it is a decently engineered boat. Surprisingly well engineered. I am not saying that you will want to go offshore in heavy seas. But for a coastal cruiser it is perfectly suitable. I can tell you that it is a better engineered boat than Mainship. The systems are more "thorough" as is the owner's manual. The owner's manual is damn near airline grade. Complete with system schematics as well as wiring as well as parts numbers and lists. AND, you can call somebody to chase down those parts or at least they can point you in the right direction. Oh, the windows don't leak. About 80% of Taiwanese trawlers have stained wood where windows have leaked. THe only time these leak is if you leave a window open.

I think the value leader in this pack would be the Carver 440. They made them from 1993 I think until 1997. If you are familiar, it followed and is an upgraded version of the highly regarded 4207(I think that is the official model). The 445 followed that which was an upgraded version(but still the same basic design) of the 440. They only made them in 97 and 98 and are hard to find. If I were boatless and looking, this is the boat I would get. Cummins power(mostly CTAs but I have seen one with BTAs...which would be underpowered if you want to plane). It is just a ton of boat for the money. The earlier 440s were Cat power and later version were Cummins power. I have a close friend that just completed the loop in a 440(Cat 3116s)...no sweat at all.

If you would like more, feel free to PM me.

Last edited:
Whatever you decide get diesel engines and a fiber glass hull
If you get a single engine be sure to have a bow thruster.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom