Best live aboard trawler for <$40,000?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What's the answer? Heat?

Really depends on the boats compartmenting.

Simplest is the marine Dickinson or Reflex heater with gravity feed fuel.

Like most boat stuff aviliable used OUT OF SEASON , on Craigs list or???

Works sans electric for months on end.

A bit pricier is the Dickinson Pacific oil range .

In non survival areas (doesn't go below freezing for long) a modern split air cond can have a COP of 5 or 6 , so paying for electric , even at marina rates isn't bad. Till the power goes down for a week.

The really small home OIL furnaces with base board heat (Difficult to plumb in an existing boat , but far better than toe kicks) is a choice for a bigger boat.

The marine Hurricane is close to these and might be battery powered if the juice is not out for a week.

Read the AC rotary transfer switch stuff as an example of non marine choices.

A switch that requires maint or replacement (no rebuild parts are available) for a few hundred bucks , or the old RV style of 3 sockets ($10.00ea) and a $10.00 plug .

Sure it takes 20 seconds every time you switch from power pole to noisemaker. The lack of maint (hours) or need to repla$e makes my choice , pull the plug , not the yacht store choice.

This type trade off can create a simple boat that doesn't eat boat bucks just sitting in a marina dieing.

FF

I agree that there are MUCH better products and methods than our current marine business is offering in many cases.

I also agree that neanderthal can be better...especially if it only takes a second or two to manually preform something that will last over something complicated and prone to problems...like your switching method of "just plugs".

I have looked for a suitable hydronic heating system as I also like the concept of unlimited hot water and a way to practically use up diesel that is just sitting for my summer season when I'm working not cruising. The smallest, inexpensive boiler I've found is the Kumo ...but it's still 2-3x larger BTU wise than I need and I'm a little leary of the install and future surveys/insurance issues. Hate to lay out the money and install only to have the surveyor/insurance people say it's gotta go.

I may just go with the Hurricane if I can get enough positive feedback on them.

I just don't like the wick burning heater/stoves as they have a tendency to need "attention" that non-techie, non-boaters staying might turn the boat into a soot factory ...:eek: :D

Anybody going to be at Trawler Fest in Anacortes on Saturday the 19th? If so, I'll see you there...

We will be there on the 19th. Send me a personal message and maybe we can connect.

In the PNW you want at boat that is sort of live aboard ready as most boats are not. The lack some of the basics like shelter, heat, water, sanitation, refrigeration. Thinks most newbies take for granted have limits on a boat. The marina and the dock/slip can be as important during the PNW winter as the boat as you will be relying on them. Be sure to talk to the live a boards in the marina as to what to expect and how they view treat live a boards as many marinas do not have live a board high on their priority.

While you are there be sure to walk the docks and also the YARDS, so you get an idea of the boat look like under the water line. Also go to the Live a boards sections and read the past discussion as being a live aboard in the PNW is mentioned on most of the discussions.

This boat, a 1985 Bayliner 3870, is my neighbor in my Port Orchard marina. Not a trawler in the normal sense but would make a great liveaboard. I know the owner wants to get out badly and would accept a lower offer. He did recently accept an offer which he told me, was giving it away. After the potential buyer had it surveyed and hauled out he decided to walk. The survey said the boat was in excellent condition for a boat of this age.

A friend of mine is a broker for the company selling this boat. His name is Bill Marks. Check it out - Emerald Yachts (Bremerton, WA)

I have no interest in this except I know the people involved.

Ron

Here is a link to a yachtworld search with your exact parameters....I took the liberty and assumed fiberglass on the USA for the region...

trawler Boats For Sale

Surprisingly a lot of damn nice boats in the field. The Mainship 34(MotorCruiser) dominates it followed by the Marine Trader 34. There is even a GB36 in there that needs TLC but if you have the time I am thinking you would always be ahead of the financial curve on that one.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be too quick to rule out a houseboat.

My 28' trailerable houseboat is as simple as it gets. Small block Chevy for power, remote start Honda 3000 to run the a/c, water heater, microwave and single 1500 watt space heater...easy to keep warm because the boat is so well insulated that it has positive floatation. Stand up hot water shower. Four burner propane stove with full size oven.

Tacoma to Orca I? That's a 1/2 day run and I wouldn't hesitate with a decent forcast.

Flybridge, nice aft deck for lounging, can sleep 7 inside.

Oh, the fore and aft decks are level with most docks so my handicapped wife and dog can easily get aboard. There's transom STAIRS that fold down for swimming...my dog uses them to swim ashore and back on his own to go potty.

One More Time Around: Sailboat or Trawler

Mine is a 1972 model. If you find one, it's bound to need a lot of work, but at about 10k purchase price you'll have some left over for upgrades.

302025_313387925342698_100000144785305_1530025_1280778596_n.jpg

I wouldn't be too quick to rule out a houseboat.

My 28' trailerable houseboat is as simple as it gets. Small block Chevy for power, remote start Honda 3000 to run the a/c, water heater, microwave and single 1500 watt space heater...easy to keep warm because the boat is so well insulated that it has positive floatation. Stand up hot water shower. Four burner propane stove with full size oven.

Tacoma to Orca I? That's a 1/2 day run and I wouldn't hesitate with a decent forcast.

Flybridge, nice aft deck for lounging, can sleep 7 inside.

Oh, the fore and aft decks are level with most docks so my handicapped wife and dog can easily get aboard. There's transom STAIRS that fold down for swimming...my dog uses them to swim ashore and back on his own to go potty.

One More Time Around: Sailboat or Trawler

Mine is a 1972 model. If you find one, it's bound to need a lot of work, but at about 10k purchase price you'll have some left over for upgrades.

302025_313387925342698_100000144785305_1530025_1280778596_n.jpg

You obviously didn't know you had leprosy by owning a houseoat...

Read this thread...:D
http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/sorry-bother-but-i-need-help-iding-boat-6101-2.html#post86952

And perhaps these boaters are practicing for the first non-stop circumnavigation via open boat with oars.

232323232%7Ffp635%3C%3A%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D37%3A3%3A34%3B48336nu0mrj

Kidding. ... Jeff's houseboat would be highly satisfactory in various settings, such as in the California Delta and CA's Shasta Lake/Reservoir.

Not a damn thing wrong with that Pseudo.... It obviously works so good for you in being honest with yourself in what you want and need!!!

I just don't like the wick burning heater/stoves as they have a tendency to need "attention" that non-techie, non-boaters staying might turn the boat into a soot factory .."

NO wick in any Dickinson I have ever seen.

NO wick in a Reflex either.

A proper install will operate unattended for long periods of time.

Requires "H" style smoke head , deck iron and big gravity fuel tank.

Have had no bad feedback on the Hurricane , tho like most a base board system uses loads less electric than kick heaters.

FF

I just don't like the wick burning heater/stoves as they have a tendency to need "attention" that non-techie, non-boaters staying might turn the boat into a soot factory .."

NO wick in any Dickinson I have ever seen.

NO wick in a Reflex either.

A proper install will operate unattended for long periods of time.

Requires "H" style smoke head , deck iron and big gravity fuel tank.

Have had no bad feedback on the Hurricane , tho like most a base board system uses loads less electric than kick heaters.

FF

sorry...there are a couple cheaper versions with wicks...you are correct about the pressurized stoves...but still I see an issue with the gravity feed (may still consider pump)...may just go for the hurricane for the unlimited hot shower...:thumb::D

My preference is Propane. It is clean, and provides a safe flame. I know many feel that propane is dangerous because it is heavier than air. Well Alchohol is also very dangerous, it is a liquid, that can be spilled, it burns with an invisible flame and the smell makes me sick to my stomach. Besides propane burns hotter than alcohol.
There are millions of boats, RV's Trailers, etc that use propane with no ill effect. Add to that the number of homes that use propane as their primary fuel and you have a pretty good safety record.
More boats have explosions and fires from fueling and electrical problems than have ever been reported from propane.

My preference is Propane. It is clean, and provides a safe flame. I know many feel that propane is dangerous because it is heavier than air. Well Alchohol is also very dangerous, it is a liquid, that can be spilled, it burns with an invisible flame and the smell makes me sick to my stomach. Besides propane burns hotter than alcohol.
There are millions of boats, RV's Trailers, etc that use propane with no ill effect. Add to that the number of homes that use propane as their primary fuel and you have a pretty good safety record.
More boats have explosions and fires from fueling and electrical problems than have ever been reported from propane.

Fine for cooking but serious heating for a liveaboard and I think propane would be a hassle to keep refilling..and kinda dumb when I have 400 gallons of home heating oil aboard...:D

."but still I see an issue with the gravity feed:

Even this administration has not figured out how to limit and tax Gravity.

FF

Whoops, I saw stoves and misread the subject. Sorry,
As for heat, yes diesel is the way to go. We have the Webasco Hydronic heater system. Very happy with the performance. The boat is nice and warm and it helps keep the boat dry. Which up here is a major accomplishment.

Anybody going to be at Trawler Fest in Anacortes on Saturday the 19th? If so, I'll see you there...

Even if you are presently single, it would be advisable to bring a SO/female along to get her like and dislikes as female tend to look at access, creature comforts and safety. Rather than boat stuff. Every long term live a board will tell you if the SO is not happy then no body is happy and it's going to be short term. Many live a board do not make it through the first winter and its usually the female that moves off the boat first. 50+ of the so called live a boards are live a boards during the warmer months.

So when talking to live a boards make sure you talk to year around live a boards, and talk to the females. My wife will be at Trawler Fest and she will not go on some boat as they are too hard to access, have steep stair, feels to confining. Looking at boats can be a great date and/or mini vacations.

Hope to see you there.

Even if you are presently single, it would be advisable to bring a SO/female along to get her like and dislikes as female tend to look at access, creature comforts and safety. Rather than boat stuff. Every long term live a board will tell you if the SO is not happy then no body is happy and it's going to be short term. Many live a board do not make it through the first winter and its usually the female that moves off the boat first. 50+ of the so called live a boards are live a boards during the warmer months.

So when talking to live a boards make sure you talk to year around live a boards, and talk to the females. My wife will be at Trawler Fest and she will not go on some boat as they are too hard to access, have steep stair, feels to confining. Looking at boats can be a great date and/or mini vacations.

Hope to see you there.

Great point Phil. Women have a tendency to look at things from a much different point of view than us. Even though you are single those points of view will help to make your time aboard more or less enjoyable.
Living aboard during the summer months is great. But during the winter it is much more difficult. Simple tasks become extremely difficult sometimes. You need to do what every you can to make you life more comfortable to compensate for the other times. I would venture to guess that 70% of the people that move aboard don't last past the first year. They go into this with Rose colored glasses on and generally are discouraged, as Phil says, the first Winter.

There is a Live-A-Board forum. It may also give you some insight into living aboard and what to do to make it more comfortable.

Now don't get me wrong, I love living on the water most of the time. I could not get a home with the view I have. But just trying to give you both sides of the coin. I can come up with as many bad things about living on land as I can about living on the water. Just a decision you make and you take the bad with the good.

Phil, point well taken about winter living. I imagine keeping everything warm and dry is a real struggle. Keeping the air moving and the temperature up has got to be key.

I am also a member of the live aboard forum. I figure I want to do this right the first time, rather than find out about all the problems after I dive into it.

Hardship doesn't bother me, as long as I know what to do about it!

Looking forward to Trawler Fest, see you there.

Phil, point well taken about winter living. I imagine keeping everything warm and dry is a real struggle. Keeping the air moving and the temperature up has got to be key.

I am also a member of the live aboard forum. I figure I want to do this right the first time, rather than find out about all the problems after I dive into it.

Hardship doesn't bother me, as long as I know what to do about it!

Looking forward to Trawler Fest, see you there.

Do you mean Living Aboard Forums • Index page

"Best live aboard trawler for <$40,000?"

One that's worth $80,000:rofl:

For many wannabee live aboards the first winter is the killer.

It takes time and skill and a big bag of boat bucks to install a real useful/reliable heat system in a boat.

Start in April, no problem , start in Oct, youre gona freeze!

For many wannabee live aboards the first winter is the killer.

It takes time and skill and a big bag of boat bucks to install a real useful/reliable heat system in a boat.

Start in April, no problem , start in Oct, youre gona freeze!

Even better to start with a boat that already had it installed. :socool:

Even better to start with a boat that already had it installed. :socool:

Not really if I can install an 8 exchange and a Webasto, 90,000 btu, most anybody should be able to. However it does cost bucks for the Eagle it was 15 grand. Install was 10 to 20% the installer. The installer was required to bless the system and for the warranty. However, having the installer was worth every penny as he came by through out the installation to check progress and my work. :thumb:

However, I agree even better to start with a boat that already had in stalled. :facepalm:

Last edited:
Funny how 4 feet makes a world of difference when you only have 30 or 40 feet to work with, i look at it as my house v/s the % of increase in space that 4 feet would make on the boat then compute the same for your house its amazing what that % will do for your house likewise for your boat.

I have been following this thread with interest, as I have nearly the exact same "wish list" as the original poster, the main difference being I am in New Orleans, so vessel heating is not really on my radar. Looking for similar vessel size (38-43), and price range (50K ish), with the understanding that the boat will need some work. Would like to make a yearly Bahamas, USVI, BVI, etc type of trip with family and friends (6 passengers or less, myself included).

Keep the advice flowing!!!!!

The part that is most often overlooked is the beam. One foot in width is worth 4 feet in length as far as room goes.
There is generally more than enough work that someone will have to take on when they buy a boat. I don't care if it is new or used. That is just the nature of the business. So if you can find a boat with all the features and equipment that you want, that is a big plus. There is nothing, as Phil points out that you cannot do. The question is do you have the time and money to do it.
I find it much better to have someone else spend a fortune on adding things like heater, AC, generators, bow and stern thrusters, electronics, etc. Those are big ticket items and can bust a budget very quickly.
Just my opinion.

The part that is most often overlooked is the beam. One foot in width is worth 4 feet in length as far as room goes.
There is generally more than enough work that someone will have to take on when they buy a boat. I don't care if it is new or used. That is just the nature of the business. So if you can find a boat with all the features and equipment that you want, that is a big plus. There is nothing, as Phil points out that you cannot do. The question is do you have the time and money to do it.
I find it much better to have someone else spend a fortune on adding things like heater, AC, generators, bow and stern thrusters, electronics, etc. Those are big ticket items and can bust a budget very quickly.
Just my opinion.

In my experience with my 3rd liveaboard and 8th boat...and having worked on hundreds of others...

Many owners and the vast majority of yards install stuff with NO thought on how it's gonna be repaired/replaced/checked etc....and put it wherever convenient FOR THEM so if you want to add a system....you wind up undoing the stuff already installed to add the new so it fits/works/all can be accessed in the future...

No thanks....the frustration/money spent doing myself pays off big dividends in the future.

Now if you can't do the work yourself for whatever reason...then yes...if a boat was well equipped from the start...you might be better off.

In my experience with my 3rd liveaboard and 8th boat...and having worked on hundreds of others...

Many owners and the vast majority of yards install stuff with NO thought on how it's gonna be repaired/replaced/checked etc....and put it wherever convenient FOR THEM so if you want to add a system....you wind up undoing the stuff already installed to add the new so it fits/works/all can be accessed in the future...

No thanks....the frustration/money spent doing myself pays off big dividends in the future.

Now if you can't do the work yourself for whatever reason...then yes...if a boat was well equipped from the start...you might be better off.

This is one of the main reasons I have chosen to build my own boat, with my own stumpy little hands.I have total control of every inch of the layout.If I have an issue with it,I can change it before it becomes a nightmare.If after the boat is finished,and I have an issue,I will have to take myself out behind the wood shed.

Back
Top Bottom