Battery gases

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joew2604

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Peterpan 111
Vessel Make
Gulfstar
There are two 27 type batteries in parallel at the head of my bed. They are maintainance free. They are in the cupboard but when I am sleeping they are less than a foot from my head. I have heard that this is a dangerous situation Is this true? Whats your opinion? I can turn off the charger at night. Does this make any difference?

Lead acid batteries can produce hydrogen if over charged. Most modern chargers will not overcharge them. Otherwise they produce very little gasses.

Sealed lead acid batteries which is what you seem to have produce almost no gasses; also AGMs produce none.

Don't worry about it.

David

I wouldn't be worried unless you have an ignition source in there with them. Any switches, motors, or relays in there? Is the compartment vented?
Are they really sealed? Some "maintenance free" are not sealed and will emit H2 gas. Can you smell rotten eggs?

Hydrogen sulfide smells like rotten eggs, hydrogen gas (H2) is odorless.

There are two 27 type batteries in parallel at the head of my bed. They are maintainance free. They are in the cupboard but when I am sleeping they are less than a foot from my head. I have heard that this is a dangerous situation Is this true? Whats your opinion? I can turn off the charger at night. Does this make any difference?

On our sailboat, I added 4 more Trojan T-105s under our berth by removing two drawers. I drilled 4-1” holes in the sides, that was it for ventilation. I did have trays for the batteries in case of an acid spill. We lived with the batteries full time for 9 years and never had any issues. It was easy access so we could check the batteries easily plus we had a battery monitor for the bank. If you monitor them, I agree with David and Archie, don’t wouldn’t worry about it.

Thanks

Thanks everyone. Problem solved!!! Dont know how to erase my question.

You don’t need to. The important thing is that you close the loop so that future readers can read your problem AND fix.
So what exactly solved your problem?

The Thread remains so if anyone else has the same question in the future it can be searched and/or referenced.

Unless it's an anchor question. ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom