Banking and Cash ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's when we have it sent to our home and then have it sent from there to us. Just adds one day. Can use someone like St. Brendan's to facilitate. Or can have it sent to and forwarded by your local branch. Guess I'm a bit confused by their problem though as they'd have to prepare an international Fedex or similar and would think they'd just fill it out properly.

It’s not always that simple. It also has to arrive early enough so it can be forwarded or you lose a day. You have customs that can add a day or more. How much do you want to pay to get it?

We had a card overnighted to us in Panama. It took 3 days to get to the point we could pick it up at customs. That was as far as Fedx could deliver. Customs wanted a storage fee. We told our cc issuer, thanks but no thanks, return to sender. They recent it to us in Columbia. It still took 3 days to “overnight” it too us.

Like others, we have multiple cards, let the cc company’s know where we are and we have staggered expiration dates. When things go as planned :dance::dance: and when they don’t, I try to remember what a day at work was like. :rolleyes:

It’s not always that simple. It also has to arrive early enough so it can be forwarded or you lose a day. You have customs that can add a day or more. How much do you want to pay to get it?

We had a card overnighted to us in Panama. It took 3 days to get to the point we could pick it up at customs. That was as far as Fedx could deliver. Customs wanted a storage fee. We told our cc issuer, thanks but no thanks, return to sender. They recent it to us in Columbia. It still took 3 days to “overnight” it too us.

Like others, we have multiple cards, let the cc company’s know where we are and we have staggered expiration dates. When things go as planned :dance::dance: and when they don’t, I try to remember what a day at work was like. :rolleyes:

I've not done it but an acquaintance had one sent to them in Panama City through St. Brendan's without a delay. From bank to St. Brendan's on Monday. St. Brendan's to Marina on Tuesday. The key is someone familiar with all the ins and outs of sending overnight to each location and most of us do not have that.

I got a document I needed to sign overnight from Fedex in Fort Lauderdale to St. Maarten. I also got it back to Fort Lauderdale overnight. A Fedex store near the beach in Fort Lauderdale is far more likely to have it than one elsewhere. In St. Marrten the Fedex location was on Welfare Road right by Simpson Bay.

I've overnighted documents around the world for decades. The key is preparing the shipping label and paperwork properly. I don't currently have anyone with that knowledge so use the Fedex store that does have it.

I could make an argument to have enough CCs so that you never need one overnighted. I've got about 10.. a few in my business names, a few in my names and a few in names I don't know.

I could make an argument to have enough CCs so that you never need one overnighted. I've got about 10.. a few in my business names, a few in my names and a few in names I don't know.

We have a good number too but that doesn't mean everyone wants to or should.

Don't forget to notify your bank that you will be traveling, and the areas you will be in. That prevents your bank from stopping a legitimate purchase because they suspected fraud.

I like BandB's response above so I just want to add that it is a good idea to let your credit card company know you will be traveling. I ran into this when I was driving 2 hours away to prep my boat for the return trip and they locked my card at the gas pump :nonono:

Glad to know they are paying attention, but embarrassing i had to scramble to get the fuel charge payed lol...

I like BandB's response above so I just want to add that it is a good idea to let your credit card company know you will be traveling.

Since my Citi card was reissued with a chip, the Citi website has indicated that we do not need to inform them of traveling. Of course I get messages saying we are freezing you card until you tell us these are your purchases.

Who wants to travel or walk around with thousands of dollars of cash? Maybe a Fuel dock or gas station might give a cash discount. With a cash-back card I find it's a break even proposition. Occasionally a mechanic might give a cash discount to keep money off the books. That is fine, I'll withdraw cash on the spot.

If cash is stolen, the bank doesn't replace it. Rare are the occasions where cash can negotiate down price. In most cases the size of the purchase, not the payment method dictates the negotiation.

Remember when there were travelers checks? We always had about $1,000 when we were cruising in the 90's. The last time we actually used and cashed them was in 1999.

If cash is stolen, the bank doesn't replace it. Rare are the occasions where cash can negotiate down price. In most cases the size of the purchase, not the payment method dictates the negotiation.

Just a thought: in many places I prefer people know I am not carrying any real amount of cash. To pay for a $75 restaurant bill with cash is convenient but it also indicates to anyone watching that your wallet is not just credit cards. Frequently in the Caribbean cruisers are attacked after going to an ATM.

All

I carry cash frequently with it divided up into amounts and hidden around the boat, take a look at how many hiding places you can find I’m sure you’ll be impressed. I also travel with 4-5 credit cards so I’m never without a CC. I don’t see where any of that is a big problem.

BTW I think it is easier to steal my boat than find the cash hidden.

Just a thought: in many places I prefer people know I am not carrying any real amount of cash. To pay for a $75 restaurant bill with cash is convenient but it also indicates to anyone watching that your wallet is not just credit cards. Frequently in the Caribbean cruisers are attacked after going to an ATM.

I do not carry a lot of cash at home or cruising. I have no desire to be a prime target. I also just do not like using cash. I like transactions all "on the record." I like records of where and how I spend my money.

One common thing tried by those with cash too is to play customs games. Buy something for one price but pay cash and get a receipt for far less. That works well until you hit a customs official who knows pricing well and knows the games played and once they get suspicious, you're in for a long, and perhaps costly, delay.

Don't lie to the local police, state police, IRS, FBI or Customs unless you want your name to appear in print or perhaps, appearing on TV.

When it comes to negotiating a price, you can ask them to reduce the price by the percentage they must pay to the CC company and then you pay cash. Surprisingly, that works more times than not. Usually, they pay 5%.

Old Dan

The store owner may want to pocket the cash to avoid paying his taxes in addition to the CC fee, I have gotten up to 20% off before.

You pay how you are comfortable, I usually pay by CC.

I do not carry a lot of cash at home or cruising. I have no desire to be a prime target. I also just do not like using cash. I like transactions all "on the record." I like records of where and how I spend my money.

One common thing tried by those with cash too is to play customs games. Buy something for one price but pay cash and get a receipt for far less. That works well until you hit a customs official who knows pricing well and knows the games played and once they get suspicious, you're in for a long, and perhaps costly, delay.

Once when driving some boat parts for Freedom into Mexico I didn't have a receipt for one of the items I was attempting to import and gave the customs agent an estimated price which I knew was pretty accurate. I had to laugh when he pulled a West Marine catalog from his desk and checked to see if the item was in there. It was and my guestimate was close and he didn't even check the rest of the stuff on my list.

Bay,

I would think that if someone is going to hit you up for $75, you're going to the wrong restaurant. There's tons of people that pay cash for restaurant and bar bills in that amount. Heck, one of the places I patronize has a guy that cashes his $100 bills there and I think he's still alive.....

Don't lie to the local police, state police, IRS, FBI or Customs unless you want your name to appear in print or perhaps, appearing on TV.

When it comes to negotiating a price, you can ask them to reduce the price by the percentage they must pay to the CC company and then you pay cash. Surprisingly, that works more times than not. Usually, they pay 5%.

Dan,

Don't know what lying has to do with cash or CCs, but you don't have to say anything to them.

Dan,

Don't know what lying has to do with cash or CCs, but you don't have to say anything to them.

Seevee, I am not lying to anyone. More times than not, I get a 5% discount by just paying cash.

You will never get a discount if you don't ask.

Of course that does not eliminate bartering the price. Some folks like to do that. My dad was famous for negotiating a "better price." Made me want to leave the room. CHUCKLE

Last edited:
Seevee, I am not lying to anyone. More times than not, I get a 5% discount by just paying cash.

You will never get a discount if you don't ask.

Of course that does not eliminate bartering the price. Some folks like to do that. My dad was famous for negotiating a "better price." Made me want to leave the room. CHUCKLE

We get the discounts with cards. One thing I've learned is that all these Boat US, Active Captain, Waterway Guide and the dozen other discounts are all available to anyone for asking as are quantity discounts. We very seldom buy fuel on the water at the rate shown as their price. I don't know anyone giving 5% for paying cash. I do know many who offer 5 cents per gallon for cash.

We simply say as we did today, "we need around 1500 gallons. What is your best discounted rate." We got 20 cents a gallon discount. They show 10 cents for over 300 gallons and they show 5 cents for various things.

For those saying credit cards cost them 5%, I can't imagine them having such a bad deal. They should be paying 2% or less.

You will never get a discount if you don`t ask
I`d like to be in a US restaurant when someone asks for a discount for paying cash.:rofl:

I`d like to be in a US restaurant when someone asks for a discount for paying cash.:rofl:

I always ask for a senior and or a veteran's discount. More times than not, I get something off the bill. In FL if they give me a 5% discount, that is the amount of the tax.

I always ask for a senior and or a veteran's discount. More times than not, I get something off the bill. In FL if they give me a 5% discount, that is the amount of the tax.

In Florida you can go for an Early Bird. Lots of people flock to them.

I've never asked for a discount at a restaurant. I should have perhaps a couple of nights ago. We all ate at Bern's. It's incredible, especially the desserts, but it's one of the most expensive restaurants around. It has NY and SF prices.

Bay,

I would think that if someone is going to hit you up for $75, you're going to the wrong restaurant. There's tons of people that pay cash for restaurant and bar bills in that amount. Heck, one of the places I patronize has a guy that cashes his $100 bills there and I think he's still alive.....

I take a totally different approach if I am i the United States or Canada vs the Caribbean. Street wise security in the Caribbean is paramount. Caribbean cruisers are known for taking precautions that would seem excessive in North American. Most of my friends switch wedding rings when they fly down for the season so that a valuable ring is not shown, credit cards are never left out of one's sight at a restaurant, etc. We have all just learned that caution pays. A druggie who can make $10-$15 per day working sees someone with $75 in cash is tempted, knowing also that the likelihood of criminal penalty is low.

I take a totally different approach if I am i the United States or Canada vs the Caribbean. Street wise security in the Caribbean is paramount. Caribbean cruisers are known for taking precautions that would seem excessive in North American. Most of my friends switch wedding rings when they fly down for the season so that a valuable ring is not shown, credit cards are never left out of one's sight at a restaurant, etc. We have all just learned that caution pays. A druggie who can make $10-$15 per day working sees someone with $75 in cash is tempted, knowing also that the likelihood of criminal penalty is low.

Pelican,

I'd prefer to just not patronize places that are that dangerous. No up side and nothing I need to see that bad with the risk.

Seevee

Last edited by a moderator:

When you start assuming which places are safe and which are not, you put yourself at risk. Don't assume that any place is safe. Not your gas pump, not the pharmacy, not the grocery, not the restaurant, not the marina. I'd never carry enough cash that I wouldn't be fine just handing it over and writing it off as gone. I've never been mugged but know people mugged or who have had their purse or wallet taken in places you'd never suspect.

As to cards, I know it's at risk every time I carry it, every time I use it, and even when I don't use it. Most of the time when we hear about theft of information it's well after it happened. When we get compromised in other ways it's generally sooner but often some delay. The credit card processors get compromised. Every store is at risk. Ultimately, it will happen. The main thing we can do is be quick to discover and remedy. I had an $82 charge on one card in a place I haven't been, from a business I'd never deal with and at a time, I had not used it anywhere I would have thought of as risky. No idea what happened. Charge reversed, card canceled, new card the next morning. The bank doesn't know what happened and their fraud department will only know if there are multiple similar transactions that tie together. Then they'll look for something common to all cards.

As to jewelry, I don't really know the answer. I do know what I don't think it is. I've seen people get copies made of their jewelry but not real stones. However, look real until you get very close. I don't see that lessens the potential of attack at all, just the value taken, and it's the attack I fear most. We're careful about where we go. We go much of the time in groups, but never just one of us. We keep on the lookout. We know it can happen one day and we'll be 100% cooperative before we'll put ourselves at risk. My wife does not wear her wedding ring or other flashy jewelry when we're out sightseeing. We try not to look like good targets. It's like when I traveled to various cities and countries on business, I tried to never look like a businessman. No briefcase and definitely no computer case. No suit. No coat and tie. I'd at most carry some sort of cheap, small duffel bag.

My wife will wear her ring and jewelry and designer dress when we have a dress up night and go to a fancy restaurant or a musical or symphony or something. However, then, we'll drive or take taxi or uber or limosine and not wonder away from our targeted destination.

One other thing. Often thieves work in packs, not singularly. Sometimes one even serves as a distraction. Someone comes up and tries to start some conversation that makes no sense, don't get sucked in. Guy walking alone and some hot, scantily clad girl walks up to him and tries to engage him, nothing good is likely to come of that. We see it in retail where one will try to engage and distract the clerk.

Ultimately theft of cash or hacking of credit card information is likely to happen to you. Just avoid injury and risk of life.

As to the boat we have good security systems.

I will add one comment on locations to what Pelican said. Wherever you are away from home remember you're the outsider. If you get into some dispute or brawl outside your home area, you will very likely have many witnesses against you and for the other guy. We use to tell employees who would visit El Paso, not to under any conditions take a car to Juarez, only taxi, and if you did sometime take a car and have a wreck, leave the car immediately and get back across the border. Once had a NY employee who decided to go to a bar and then hit on a girl there in the Delta of Mississippi. He took her back to his motel room. Later, and the facts are unclear on exactly what happened as his story was definitely a lie, a guy showed up and beat him badly, the guy and girl disappearing quickly. Another employee was called a few hours later to pick him up at the hospital. As the police didn't believe his story, they made no real effort to catch those who did it. I honestly think they felt he deserved it.

For you single men, if it seems too good to be true, it probably is. I was once getting on an elevator in Dallas and this gorgeous, scantily clad young girl got on at the last second. She struck up a conversation immediately asking if I was visiting, alone, getting close, playing with her hair and pressing no button on the elevator saying she'd just get off with me. Now, I wanted to think it was my good looks and incredible charm, but as I'd used no charm, I knew it clearly wasn't and she was danger. I didn't let her follow me into my room and wasn't even happy that she saw what room I was in. She knocked at the door and I didn't answer. I called the front desk. They said they'd send security to check the hallway and seemed surprised. The following morning I saw three policemen in the lobby and spoke to them. They'd had a businessman rolled in his room overnight, the third one in the last week. His money, jewelry, ATM card, and credit cards gone and him left handcuffed to the bed. He didn't seem to want the case pursued though. They surmised he probably didn't want his wife to know.

Pelican,

I'd prefer to just not patronize places that are that dangerous. No up side and nothing I need to see that bad with the risk.

Seevee

(signed is as Seevee2 until I can get my user name and password straight again)

Many people agree with your approach. In 2010 there were 4,100 cruising boats stored for the summer in Trinidad. Chiefly because of security reasons the number dropped to less than 1,000 in 2016. We stopped storing and visiting there in 2012 for that reason. Some people still love the place.

Most of my friends switch wedding rings when they fly down for the season so that a valuable ring is not shown,

On a trip to Mexico I took off my heavy gold wedding ring and placed it in the room safe. I slid it under an edge of the safe so that it would not be visible. In the end the joke was on me. When I recovered our passports and cash from the safe when we left I didn't see the ring so I forgot it. I realized it was missing when we were landing in San Francisco. Fat chance you have of recovering an item left in an open room safe!

There's a few places that I just don't go at all, and Mexico is one of them. Sure there are great places there, but I've been there, done that and the risk isn't worth the benefit.

I've been many places around the world, and I see no upside in going places that safety is questionable, even great countries in questionable areas.

But trawlering probably won't get me to lousy areas. In the US, most lousy areas are parts of big cities, which I avoid all together.

Canada is pretty good. Austrailia is fine, Hong Kong fine, Japan fine, Europe one has to pick the right areas. But hard to beat the good old USA. It's not hard to avoid the crummy parts.

As for being flashy wearing rings and expensive suits, hell, I don't even have that stuff. I don't go to expensive restaurants. (one trip to Burns was enough). Give me a burger and a beer and I'm happy.

So...life is good, but I'm still a cash guy. Cash is still king and if someone rolls me and I lose a grand, it ain't the end of the world as long as they don't hurt me. Never happened. As for a team with some sexy lady trying to coax me in, they are never attractive and sexy. They are usually some worn out gutter girls that are not attractive at all. I prefer a plain Jane country girl with big... well, we'll not go there.

Bay P

I usually carry cash with me on trips although not a lot at any one time perhaps a thousand, I also carry credit cards and use them most often. In all my years I have no first hand knowledge of any boater being robbed except for one time in the ‘60s four of us were sleeping on the boat after lots of booze in Bimini when someperson got on the boat and took the money out of our wallets (since then I hide cash on the boat). I don’t see it as a problem unless you look like you have lots of jewelry on and flash wads of cash.

Just my SSO.

Back
Top Bottom