Banking and Cash ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We don't do many marinas. Maybe 10 a year. But I've never had the card refused at one.

I'm surprised as I just haven't noticed it at fuel docks. Now I'll have to be more observant.

Playing the rewards program games really annoys me but I can't just ignore it either. We go only for cash rewards and they mount up over the course of a year. But then it's this card for regular purchases and this one for restaurants and this one for fuel depending on who gives the most. Another for Amazon, another for Costco.

CT- same boat? One thread you were thinking of going smaller...

Since the TD Bank (Toronto Dominion) bought up a lot of small banks along the east coast of the US we have never had a problem just using our Canadian TD Bank Cards linked to a US Dollar Account and they work everywhere.

Our bank here was started in late 90's and they decided not to use ATM's - instead they instructed customers to use any other bank's ATM and they would cover the all fees. Wise business decision - covering the fees has been much less costly than buying and maintaining a bunch of ATMs:thumb: And we have access to ATM's all over the world!

Don't forget to notify your bank that you will be traveling, and the areas you will be in. That prevents your bank from stopping a legitimate purchase because they suspected fraud.

I used to advise my bank(s) of travel, but it was a PITA, as I travel worldwide with my work often with little notice, and had purchases stopped quite often.
About 15 years ago, I gave notice to the bank that I could be anywhere at any time. Since then, I've only had one false purchase on my credit cards. The bank immediately refunded the funds without any problem. Any false charges are the banks responsibility, not the cardholders.

You'll get many different answers to this one and even in the US it varies widely by location. For instance, something as simple as dock hands. In South Florida, they meet and assist you. In some parts of the PNW, they're rare to get any help from.

In general, people tend to tip $5 here, $10 there, and some $20 for exceptional assistance.

Hi,

Thank you for your answer.

:)NBs

Don't forget another ready source of cash while cruising in far off places: Walmart, most grocery stores, etc.

All Walmarts and many other stores will let you take cash back when you make a purchase. Walmarts around here limit me to $200 at a time, about the same as an ATM and there are no fees.

Hard to beat cash on hand , from time to time. Cash rocks.

I know this is an open forum, but. I am only here to share my experiences.

Put a safe on board , in your place. Water proof , fire proof. Documents, cash, fire arms , passports go in there. Safes are cheap and very effective. Most boats sink or burn dockside. Safes are easy to install in locations others will be hard pressed to find.

Just saying.

Safes are easy to install in locations others will be hard pressed to find.
Just saying.

If I could find that elusive space, I would make it a hanging closet.
Finding extra space on a 34ft trawler would be a miracle.

I guess I’m a little different. We always take lots of cash and boat owners can find hundreds of places to hide cash. That being said I tend to use credit cards exclusively the cash is just insurance. CC give cash back and buying Fuel those credits mount up fast.

Just my SSO.

just make sure to let your bank/credit card companies know you'll be traveling so they don't think your purchases are fraudulant and put a freeze on your acct. That happened to me here at home. Took me three days and a trip to my bank to remove the hold. I was sooo mad! Local shopping triggered the freeze. I was like; "WHAT???"

My bank said the new fraud flags may still hold a purchase even after being notified of travel.

It just happened to me ladt week after a month and a half of travel and a month after supposedly taking the travel flag off. It was at a well known marina, paying $70 for dockage.

just make sure to let your bank/credit card companies know you'll be traveling so they don't think your purchases are fraudulant and put a freeze on your acct. That happened to me here at home. Took me three days and a trip to my bank to remove the hold. I was sooo mad! Local shopping triggered the freeze. I was like; "WHAT???"

I told my bank, you are not my mother.

I told my bank, you are not my mother.

Then also tell them that you'll take any of the losses on fraud instead of holding them to the agreement. They aren't protecting your money. They are protecting theirs. They are the ones who incur the losses on fraud. You're just inconvenienced.

I installed a pistol safe (very small) on Bay Pelican. Saved me once, great story. I had stored the boat on the far south side of Chicago for winter storage. The night we stored the boat she was broken-into. I had not be able to remove a good number of expensive items, stabilized binocs, GPS units, cameras, etc. When I came to the boat in the morning, these and other items were all piled up on the saloon table ready to be taken. Fortunately for me the thief found the safe and spent his time trying to break into the safe. Ruined two of my screwdrivers but did not get into the safe before he was distributed by security and fled.

The joke: when I left the night before the safe was empty AND UNLOCKED. Somehow the thief locked the safe and spent his time trying to break in.

Cost of the safe: $45. Worth it just for the story.

Call your bank or credit card company and let them know you will be making large purchases at "gas stations". I had my fuel purchase (300 gallons) declined at first by Master Card because they thought it was fraud to purchase that much at one time. I called and told them it was a trawler with 500 gallon capacity and I would be making additional fuel purchases on up the coast of CA.

Anytime I've had a card declined because of amount or location, I've been able to get it released and rerun within 10 minutes, just one quick call.

As to fraud attempts and cancelling a card, I've always received a new card the following day.

I've just never felt the banks doing a good job of monitoring things inconvenienced me that much. Not nearly as much as if a fraudster was able to get by with something.

Anytime I've had a card declined because of amount or location, I've been able to get it released and rerun within 10 minutes, just one quick call.

As to fraud attempts and cancelling a card, I've always received a new card the following day.

I've just never felt the banks doing a good job of monitoring things inconvenienced me that much. Not nearly as much as if a fraudster was able to get by with something.

The last time I had my BOA card compromised, they told me it would take 10 to 2 weeks and it would be sent to my home address. Fat lot of good that would do.

The last time I had my BOA card compromised, they told me it would take 10 to 2 weeks and it would be sent to my home address. Fat lot of good that would do.

I have my card company tell me that every time (my number gets stolen regularly every 6 mos or so since I use it for everything under the sun) - I just tell them that it was their fault for not having good fraud protection and I want it Fedexed Overnight. They say OK and do it every time.

The card stolen/replacement thing is just something I have accepted as having to do every 6 months as it is worth the 1.5% cash back I get from card.

I use a Credit Union which for all intents and purposes for me is a bank. One thing I like is the Shared Branching confederation of Credit Unions that allow you to go into any brick and mortar location and use it without any restrictions just like my own Credit union I have been a member of for half of forever. Very convenient because it seems the majority of Reward programs still like to send out paper checks and I like to just deposit them into my accounts.

Not every Credit Union takes part in Shared Branching and I'm not sure if this is even available outside of the US or in other places like US Bases overseas; but I haven't run across any issues finding a location to use on my frequent moves. The debit card still works in most ATMs in the world- so that's all I really need.

Another reason to have a supply of cash on hand. There is always something wrong with the electronic systems when trying to pay via Credit/Debit Card. Sometimes you have to restart the purchase sequence at the checkout counter, use another machine, pay cash, or just abandon the purchase.

To me it seems common, but I am probably overreacting since a problem at the checkout aisle is one of two things that drive me insane- I usually have to stop myself from going into premature beast mode while waiting in line :)

I have been using Samsung Pay on my phone recently. Makes it easier for me since I don't have to fumble with my phone and digging stuff out of my wallet. All my reward club info is on my phone anyway. Besides, seems to be the way of the future so I figure I'd get used to the process(and hassles) of transactions using this method. Besides, I get immediate proof of purchase info sent to my phone which is nice.

I only use one card on my phone and I watch it (account) diligently since it is still a relatively new process for consumers. I haven't heard a lot about any security risks inherent specifically to this avenue to make purchases- but i take that to mean that it is still new, uncommon, and yet to be fully exploited by the criminals among us. I've studied the system and am fairly well versed on how the security works; but I like to hear how it really works out in the real world. Strangely I do not know anybody else who uses this method.

I've noticed the older, beat up card readers work better with the wireless phone cards then the newer ones do, though.

I'd like to hear thoughts from you all, though.

I haven't encountered that. Was it a credit card and not a debit?

Can't remember the last time I used cash in Australia.
Debit cards are visa credit (using my money) and tap and go (up to $100) enabled.

Decades using cards, buy extensively online and spent months at a time travelling through Asia and never had a card skimmed, compromised in any way.

Last edited:
I use a Credit Union which for all intents and purposes for me is a bank. One thing I like is the Shared Branching confederation of Credit Unions that allow you to go into any brick and mortar location and use it without any restrictions just like my own Credit union I have been a member of for half of forever. Very convenient because it seems the majority of Reward programs still like to send out paper checks and I like to just deposit them into my accounts.

Not every Credit Union takes part in Shared Branching and I'm not sure if this is even available outside of the US or in other places like US Bases overseas; but I haven't run across any issues finding a location to use on my frequent moves. The debit card still works in most ATMs in the world- so that's all I really need.

Another reason to have a supply of cash on hand. There is always something wrong with the electronic systems when trying to pay via Credit/Debit Card. Sometimes you have to restart the purchase sequence at the checkout counter, use another machine, pay cash, or just abandon the purchase.

To me it seems common, but I am probably overreacting since a problem at the checkout aisle is one of two things that drive me insane- I usually have to stop myself from going into premature beast mode while waiting in line :)

I have been using Samsung Pay on my phone recently. Makes it easier for me since I don't have to fumble with my phone and digging stuff out of my wallet. All my reward club info is on my phone anyway. Besides, seems to be the way of the future so I figure I'd get used to the process(and hassles) of transactions using this method. Besides, I get immediate proof of purchase info sent to my phone which is nice.

I only use one card on my phone and I watch it (account) diligently since it is still a relatively new process for consumers. I haven't heard a lot about any security risks inherent specifically to this avenue to make purchases- but i take that to mean that it is still new, uncommon, and yet to be fully exploited by the criminals among us. I've studied the system and am fairly well versed on how the security works; but I like to hear how it really works out in the real world. Strangely I do not know anybody else who uses this method.

I've noticed the older, beat up card readers work better with the wireless phone cards then the newer ones do, though.

I'd like to hear thoughts from you all, though.
Android tap is pretty much all I use. Or debit card; usually tap too. Rarely use cash, except in Mexico or the States. Never had a case of credit card fraud or stolen identity. My cards are linked so I get a text message when used.

I do have emergency cash, if I can remember where/when I stashed it. Sometimes it's a nice surprise windfall!

Warning, if you are traveling, especially internationally, be wary as to whether Citi (Citibank, Citicorp etc) can replace a lost or stolen card before you get home. They will try but there is a quirk in their system which results in the card not getting to you. Seems they have a limit of only three lines on the address, including your name. Each line was limited as to the number of characters. This works for your home address in the US or Canada but when you start adding info such as c/o Grand Hotel, or a country name it becomes impossible to do it in three lines.

Last year I tried to get a card sent to Martinique then St. Lucia over three months. Six attempts none made it because of this quirk. Although Citi had my full and complete address in both countries it was amazing how the staff (computer?) shortened the address to comply with this restriction. In one case they had the correct street address and city, but no country, In another they had the country but no city.

Capital One had a new card to me in four days in Martinique.

Fortunately, I travel with four cards so I did not have any hardship.

We cruised full time from 2002 until 2008 from the Texas coast to Maine and up to Knoxville while keeping our Texas based bank. Finally it became more difficult so we switched to Bank of America and the problem was solved.

We had the same experience while cruising (2003 - 2015). Found it much simpler to use a large bank with lots of ATM's and good reciprocal agreements with foreign banks for ATM use. Also found that on-line banking was invaluable to pay those pesky bills from back home each month.

Warning, if you are traveling, especially internationally, be wary as to whether Citi (Citibank, Citicorp etc) can replace a lost or stolen card before you get home. They will try but there is a quirk in their system which results in the card not getting to you. Seems they have a limit of only three lines on the address, including your name. Each line was limited as to the number of characters. This works for your home address in the US or Canada but when you start adding info such as c/o Grand Hotel, or a country name it becomes impossible to do it in three lines.

Last year I tried to get a card sent to Martinique then St. Lucia over three months. Six attempts none made it because of this quirk. Although Citi had my full and complete address in both countries it was amazing how the staff (computer?) shortened the address to comply with this restriction. In one case they had the correct street address and city, but no country, In another they had the country but no city.

Capital One had a new card to me in four days in Martinique.

Fortunately, I travel with four cards so I did not have any hardship.

I also had a great experience with Capital One in Italy. I got hit by a pickpocket in Naples and Capital One got a replacement card to me overnight from the Visa center in Europe. B of A got me a ATM card in 3 days which wasn't to bad either.

I'm with FF and Irish... cash is king and can make a strong argument for it.

Somethings I never use a CC for, like restaurants and small items. And big items when I can negotiate a cash discount, which often happens.

Works well for most anything except self service gas, which I do us a CC for. And could be some risk with auto gas.

Also, paying from groceries works with a CC, and can get a bit of cash back too.

But, I rarely had a CC declined because of a big purchase, like fuel. So, they can be useful.

But, I've never had cash fail.

Warning, if you are traveling, especially internationally, be wary as to whether Citi (Citibank, Citicorp etc) can replace a lost or stolen card before you get home. p.

That's when we have it sent to our home and then have it sent from there to us. Just adds one day. Can use someone like St. Brendan's to facilitate. Or can have it sent to and forwarded by your local branch. Guess I'm a bit confused by their problem though as they'd have to prepare an international Fedex or similar and would think they'd just fill it out properly.

Back
Top Bottom